Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I only want professions housing. I think housing itself on wow, will make cities with less people. I just don't see why a player would wanted housing so much in this game, i would only use it if it was like a HS kind of thing or when i'm about to log in or off, cause i'm ocd leaving my character abandoned in the middle of orgrimmar and log in next day and no one is there and i feel more lonely than me leaving my character on my house.

Housing always forces the worse subject: YOU.

The world and the players in the world makes the game.

YOU + Housing = makes Sims game.

Sims game = ERP Goldshire that wants to go their houses and rooms.

= Make more rule 34 adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Like... I get that not everyone is going to be into Housing. But then, not everyone is into Raiding, or PvP. Housing has proven a pretty strong pillar of any MMORPG that still exists, so I have to wonder; why are they so hellbent on avoiding it?
    Simple...they tryed it in WoD....and a good portion of the people hated it. I loved it, but needed some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanidor View Post
    Farms and Garrisons are completely different. The implementation of housing and Guild Halls will be insanely cool. Just leave out Auction House so not to empty cities as what many are worried could happen if player housing is added.

Imagine having a % drop chance of tokens that drop from bosses in dungeons, raids and random mobs that can be exchanged for furniture, trophies etc.
    This argument here is still the worst one you could possible make.
    You make no attempts are reconciling why garrisons or the farm isn't housing, then immediately claim that housing can't fail because of self evident reasons.

What level of shitty housing is an acceptable baseline to sacrifice a huge portion of the Dev team on?
    Would you accept a single instanced room in instanced SW/Org that you could put a couch in?

Making player housing is a massive time investment for the Devs that has a massive chance of failing catastrophically.
    Just claiming that Blizzard should make player housing because it will just work is not a solution, it is delusional.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    That's literally the only way it could exist, but it's also the reason why they won't be happening. Blizzard discussed that garrisons were an overall flop because it isolated you off on your own.

While I get what you're going for, how do you think housing would be any different? You'd just have a single house in your instance that only you could see how you decorate it and you could invite your friends over to look at it every now and again too. Kind of a waste frankly.

I think the next logical step on the whole housing argument is guild housing with all these things people want to see in player housing. If the guild housing pans out as something that actually ends up being decent and not just Garrison 2.0, then could see moving some design and development towards player housing.
    You don't need to invite your friends over, and frankly, you don't even need to mess with it if you don't want to. If should be cosmetic with as much game play impact as pet battles has.

I've done player housing in the past with other games, and I enjoyed deciding where to build rooms and expand, what to decorate. With more achievements you get to decorate more lavishly. Certain achievements leading to different types of unlocks. So game play can impact your house, but not so much the other way around.

I think you can have crafting stations in the player house, but nothing unique or that gives you an advantage over crafting elsewhere. For example, a kitchen for cooking, cupboards that have vendor supplied cooking mats. You can have a room that's kinda like a shed for metalwork, etc. A living room, dining room, foyer/lobby. You could have a stable, a trophy room, armory where you could put up a couple armor sets and display a couple of your weapons on the walls. You could even have a game room, where you do similar games to what we see in some of the Naj world quests, but would provide no reward. Just there for playing.

The biggest thing though is that it has to span expansions, which is why it seems likely we'll never get it. The player house has survive from XPac to XPac, and IMO, tie it to the player account, not the character. (player housing, not character housing). Just something players can do when they are bored, or if they feel like it and you can even use it as a gold sink to unlock a bigger house or bigger rooms, etc.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    You don't need to invite your friends over, and frankly, you don't even need to mess with it if you don't want to. If should be cosmetic with as much game play impact as pet battles has.

I've done player housing in the past with other games, and I enjoyed deciding where to build rooms and expand, what to decorate. With more achievements you get to decorate more lavishly. Certain achievements leading to different types of unlocks. So game play can impact your house, but not so much the other way around.

I think you can have crafting stations in the player house, but nothing unique or that gives you an advantage over crafting elsewhere. For example, a kitchen for cooking, cupboards that have vendor supplied cooking mats. You can have a room that's kinda like a shed for metalwork, etc. A living room, dining room, foyer/lobby. You could have a stable, a trophy room, armory where you could put up a couple armor sets and display a couple of your weapons on the walls. You could even have a game room, where you do similar games to what we see in some of the Naj world quests, but would provide no reward. Just there for playing.

The biggest thing though is that it has to span expansions, which is why it seems likely we'll never get it. The player house has survive from XPac to XPac, and IMO, tie it to the player account, not the character. (player housing, not character housing). Just something players can do when they are bored, or if they feel like it and you can even use it as a gold sink to unlock a bigger house or bigger rooms, etc.
    So garrisons with more restrictive prices then?
    The world revamp dream will never die!

its because of the soft reset every raid/expansion theme park progression system, a housing system would just be garrison 2.0 unless it has some purpose/impact past the expansion its added, and with everything getting wiped clean every expansion, its honestly not a easy feature to add that would warrant dev time.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is baffling. But if they were going to do it they should have done it when the first or second expac came out. I feel like now is too late because of the sheer amount of content that was missed out on like raid/dungeon trophies/expansion themed doodads that could be used or expansion themed houses. I look at the way Star Wars did it or FFXIV and I'm completely shocked blizzard didn't even try to do it first. I think it's the one part of the game people would be okay with monetizing as well because of the sheer amount of content you could have in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    its because of the soft reset every raid/expansion theme park progression system, a housing system would just be garrison 2.0 unless it has some purpose/impact past the expansion its added, and with everything getting wiped clean every expansion, its honestly not a easy feature to add that would warrant dev time.
    Who says your player house would need to be reset every expansion? It would be the one thing that wouldn't reset because it would be a consistent place you could go back to. That's how every other MMO does it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    What level of shitty housing is an acceptable baseline to sacrifice a huge portion of the Dev team on?
    For someone complaining about bad arguments, this question is very disingenuous. It would take barely any dev resources at all to make poopy housing.

Would you accept a single instanced room in instanced SW/Org that you could put a couch in?
    I, for one, would not. That seems like a waste of an idea. Not sure what the point to that would be.

- - - Updated - - -

So garrisons with more restrictive prices then?
    No, nothing like garrisons.

Curious, when you think of a house, you are picturing something similar to WoW garrisons? I can see if you are very wealthy, maybe you would equate a garrison to an estate, but maybe you just have a gigantic house? /shrug
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2020-01-05 at 07:24 PM.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    Considering the amount of stuff People complain about as being not Content, It really doesn't surprise me.
    Player housing was a planned feature in vanilla.

This one is a perfectly reasonable thing for players to be upset about. Especially since its an MMO standard now, and one of the most beloved ones.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steelcryo View Post
    I've wondered this. A player house would be loads of fun for a lot of people. Personally it'd just be something I'd do whenever I got bored of everything else, but I'd still enjoy it. It could be a great way to show off achievements and add extra reasons to revisit old content to get items and rewards for your house.

One thing that always bugs me is how disconnected expansions can feel. Each expansions sends you to a new zone and very rarely connect back to Azeroth other than occasionally "go talk to this npc in Org or SW". Housing would give something that connects all expansions, seeing everything you've done on your adventures in one place, that'd be awesome.

There's so many other good reasons for housing, it bugs me that Blizzard haven't done it. Although after the shit show that was Garrisons, I'd be very wary of them getting it right.
    thats lie, blizzard plans two expansions ahead and the end of one expansion is what causes the next the occur. The expansions are not disconnected with one another.

The reason to not having player housing is obvius, it would be a lot of work with a lot of risk because it could not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    It is baffling. But if they were going to do it they should have done it when the first or second expac came out. I feel like now is too late because of the sheer amount of content that was missed out on like raid/dungeon trophies/expansion themed doodads that could be used or expansion themed houses. I look at the way Star Wars did it or FFXIV and I'm completely shocked blizzard didn't even try to do it first. I think it's the one part of the game people would be okay with monetizing as well because of the sheer amount of content you could have in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Who says your player house would need to be reset every expansion? It would be the one thing that wouldn't reset because it would be a consistent place you could go back to. That's how every other MMO does it.
    you miss understand, the housing doesn't need to reset, but he needs to be able to carry over into the next expansion when everything else is reset.

For example say they let you choose your house "home" in a capital 6 years ago, but how would that interact with BFA and UC? These are the type of things they need to plan out with such a system- to be able to carry over to new systems and in some cases worlds of a new expansion reset

10+ Year Old Account
    you miss understand, the housing doesn't need to reset, but he needs to be able to carry over into the next expansion when everything else is reset.

For example say they let you choose your house "home" in a capital 6 years ago, but how would that interact with BFA and UC? These are the type of things they need to plan out with such a system- to be able to carry over to new systems and in some cases worlds of a new expansion reset
    Player housing should exist in an instanced bubble. Are you really going to tell me blizzard cares about the timeline when the leveing experience goes from Cata>BC-Wrath>Cata-MoP and so on?

10+ Year Old Account

The same way it does today, you phase in to an instance where the city is still intact.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mercane View Post
    It's also been a not so great feature in a few MMO's.
    Depends entirely on execution.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post
    thats lie, blizzard plans two expansions ahead and the end of one expansion is what causes the next the occur. The expansions are not disconnected with one another.

The reason to not having player housing is obvius, it would be a lot of work with a lot of risk because it could not work.
    I meant from a player perspective. Once you leave an expansion, there's rarely any reason to go back to it or even think about it. Sure some connect like WOD into Legion, but overall, once we get into a new one, everyone kinda just forgets about the old ones. So it'd be nice to have a place that connects them all together, like going back to my POH and seeing trophies from WOTLK, CATA, Legion etc all next to each other to remind me of the zones.

And then as I said, on top of that to get those items, you'd have to go back to those expansions, which would give more reason for new players to check out old content or veterans to revisit them.

It's really kind of a bummer to see how many people think Garrisons were any sort of a "housing system". Not just because it really isn't, but also because I feel like a lot of folks are missing out, or at least have some misunderstanding for what makes housing systems compelling for a lot of players.

A *real* housing system honestly isn't that far removed from what makes Transmogging so compelling. We love having cool-looking characters, right? But how you transmog your character says a lot about you, and what you think about your character. Sure, there are definitely players who don't transmog. There's a lot of players who maybe transmog items they already have, without putting forth a consorted effort to "collect" any new appearances. Others, still, who go after their "favorite set" (be it for their main, or sometimes for alts), and finally, you've got those who want to collect everything.

And really, it's a cool way to really bestow a "personality" to your characters. Even though I'm not a HUGE fan of Warriors, I got the ELITE Cruel Gladiator set during Legion for my Warrior, and I feel like it just really plays into his "look" as an Orc Warrior, sporting bright-red colors symbolic of the Horde. Conversely, my Death Knight, I typically gravitate towards his old blue Scourgelord (T10) set, simply because it feels like the definitive "Death Knight armor".

I love the idea of being able to extend that to building each of them their own house, or "Keep".

For my Orc Warrior, I love the idea of maybe having his place built in a barren desert (someplace like Uldum), maybe having a sort of fighting-pit in the middle, maybe posting the heads and skulls of fallen raid bosses. Meanwhile my Death Knight, he might take up a place like Hrothgar's Landing (the island just north of Northrend), building sort of a "New Scholomance", a place to practice dark rituals and whatnot.

Or hell, for my Gnome Mage, maybe something completely wacky and more "fun and upbeat", with bright flashing lights and more of an "amusement park" feel. And further still, my Worgen Rogue might call home to a Gilnean manor of some kind, with more of a "spooky/halloween" sort of vibe.

Those things wouldn't be automatic, but instead things I would gradually build and refine. Maybe when I'm bored, I could run old dungeons and raids, trying to get new items for new characters. I have a low-level Dark Iron Warrior, for example, that maybe I'd be more inclined to play, if I were able to get him a smoldering keep of his own, finding something that felt very "Dark Iron". Or hell, maybe I'd build a sort of "biker bar" with a Dark Iron flair, with various motorcycle mounts parked out front.

Like I said, it's not going to be for everyone, and I get that. But I just think it could breathe a lot of life back into the game! Even if these "houses" were limited to like one per account, or per faction or server.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    The same way it does today, you phase in to an instance where the city is still intact.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends entirely on execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Player housing should exist in an instanced bubble. Are you really going to tell me blizzard cares about the timeline when the leveing experience goes from Cata>BC-Wrath>Cata-MoP and so on?
    its an example of them needing to plan and be able to have a system that would be able to adapt to flavor of each expansion and the difficulties that would come with it
    but even with your "solution" to the example, popping into a bubble(phase) of a city that is now destroyed is hardly a good solution at any level.

Which again was merely an example to my original point, building a housing system that would transition expansion to expansion in a theme park game with out if feeling garrison 2.0 is not that simple of a thing,

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Player housing was a planned feature in vanilla.

This one is a perfectly reasonable thing for players to be upset about. Especially since its an MMO standard now, and one of the most beloved ones.
    I didn't say it wasn't. But there would still be plenty of People that would complain it is dead content and a waste of resources. I myself loved Garrisons but enough People complain about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Piamonte View Post

There arent that many risks actually. Even bad player housing systems in other MMO are incredibly loved.

Garrisons wasn't really player housing. At all. The key and absolutely required feature in regards to player housing is customization, which Garrisons didn't have.

Nor would it even be all that much work. They already have some basic ways to plant things in the world and to have instanced things tied to a player. Likewise they have thousands of housing doodads; they literally do not have to make any new models.

They just dont like listening to player feedback; and no thats not baseless complaining, they've made it abundantly clear their disdain for feedback from WoD on, "apologizing" in many cases for outright ignoring it for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't. But there would still be plenty of People that would complain it is dead content and a waste of resources. I myself loved Garrisons but enough People complain about that.
    Garrisons is a bad comparison since they were decidedly not player housing. They were player housing if you have no experience with player housing in other MMO.... or video games in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    its an example of them needing to plan and be able to have a system that would be able to adapt to flavor of each expansion and the difficulties that would come with it
    but even with your "solution" to the example, popping into a bubble(phase) of a city that is now destroyed is hardly a good solution at any level.

Which again was merely an example to my original point, building a housing system that would transition expansion to expansion in a theme park game with out if feeling garrison 2.0 is not that simple of a thing,
    Could always go the Wildstar route, give you an instance located at an undisclosed location, say maybe a mage opened up a portal for you somewhere in who-knows-where and it's the perfect plot of land for a house. From there you can change the sorroundings and make it feel like you're in your own unique piece of land.
    Blizzard's cutting corners again? Yare Yare Daze...

Quote Originally Posted by CrossNgen View Post
    Could always go the Wildstar route, give you an instance located at an undisclosed location, say maybe a mage opened up a portal for you somewhere in who-knows-where and it's the perfect plot of land for a house. From there you can change the sorroundings and make it feel like you're in your own unique piece of land.
    Have that Goblin mage follower sell you Personal Portal Places(TM).