Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    because its own creator said it was an anime.
    RIP monty

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...er-teeths-rwby
    So you would say any show the creater says is an anime just is one? Not how I’d define anime but to each there own.

Finally, it's over.

I'd have to rate this as the worst season of RWBY thus far. It says alot when you're actually fast forwarding through episodes towards the end. That said, (finale spoilers) illusion of Salem was incredibly well directed; the sound shift in color palette and spot on sound design sold me on the moment!

Looks like we are going to Atlas next season, which means I'm actually looking forward to season six. Given the track record of the last two seasons though, I won't hold my breath. Atlas has been set up as the most interesting kingdom thus far, with it's advanced robotics, military culture, desolate environment, and how one of the cities was abandoned in favor of the academy. It also has a lot of story potential, with Penny's inventor, Ironwood and the council, the Schnee dust company, Dr. Watts, and Atlas' rocky international relations.

RWBY S6 E9 Lost

This volume is literally the exact same thing volumes 4 and 5 were: people standing around talking about "FEELINGS" rather than doing something meaningful, developing the setting, or progressing the plot. Only difference this is that this time, rather than sitting around talking in a house, people are talking in with a variety of backdrops, and the people at r/RWBY don't seem to notice.

(episode spoilers)
    Spoiler: 
    IIRC the Nikos family was said to live in Mistral, so having them appear in Argus is strange given that it is far away from Mistral and on the sea opposite Mantle. Then again, RWBY never bothered to explain the geopolitical situation of the world, so Argus could be anything from a border region that was lumped in with the Mistral continent or a town that is actually a part of the nation of Mistral, with Haven as the capital.

The scene at the statue has been a long time coming and probably one of the few good things I can saw about volume 6, and even then the moment was dampened by "STANDING AROUND AND TALKING".

Qrow is right; it is a stupid idea. Atlas during RWBY's golden age of seasons 1-3 was shown to be the world's most elite military with a tight defense around Mantle with advanced technology. If Ironwood has locked down Mantle, then there's no realistic way for Team RWBY to get there by airship. Let's see what they would have to overcome:

1. They must get over the fence surrounding Atlas' outpost at Argus. If they break through or jump over the fence, they will be automatically detected. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: because season 6 has made these guys into goons, there will be no sensors at the fence and RWBY will get past the fence undetected.
    2. Once being detected, they will become targets for turrets that will gun them down with pinpoint precision accuracy. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: the heroes will miraculously evade or deflect world-class turret fire, or even outright destroy the turrets.
    3. They must then climb up the rocks to the airship landing pad, during which time they would be gunned down by the alerted soldiers running to their location. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: because of plot armor, the elite Atelsian military will somehow be incompetent and never manage to hurt team RWBY, or they arrive too late.
    4. They must then somehow enter an armored Atlesian military ship, even though they don't have the key and military vehicles are designed to prevent outsiders from breaking in for obvious reasons. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: the door will either be open unlocked for whatever reason, Weiss will magic to door unlocked, or they will tear a hole into a high-altitude, high speed vehicle with no regard for aerodynamic stability and pressurization.
    5. Someone with experience piloting airships will need to operate vehicles. No, a NBC helicopter pilot does not know the layout of an Apache cockpit, nor does he know the differences between the two in controls, nor does he know how to undo the locks implemented by the military to prevent hijackings. There's no way anyone can figure this all out immediately while there are soldiers outside running towards the vehicle to stop the hijackers. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: they will board the ship and somehow block the entrance so that no soldiers or bullets get in, the pilot will start up and fly the vehicle within seconds of sitting down, and the soldiers will be too late to reach the vehicle.
    6. The heroes in their new airship must then take off and fly away from the outpost without 1. a tower controller taking over control of the airship remotely and bringing it back, 2. AA turrets shooting down the airship, and 3. pursuing Atlesian ships crewed by professionals taking them down. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: there will be no remote control, there will either be no AA turrets or the pilot will miraculously evade all of them, and Team RWBY will be so powerful that they will have somehow managed to disable or destroy the other airships before personel can board them to pursue, while somehow defeating or evading soldiers on the ground.
    7. Team RWBY must then fly across the ocean and get past Atlas' air defense, which includes everything described in number 6 except this time with 10x the density AND they are flying towards it, not flying away from it. Oh, and since the military tracks all of their vehicles, Atlas will already know their position and will have sent interceptors towards Team RWBY before they even make it across the ocean and AA turrets will be already be trained on them. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: look at number 6.
    8. Team RWBY must then try to get into Atlas, which means they will have to land their ship somewhere and then enter the world's most fortified city. The Atlesien military will be closing in on the position of their landing spot and Team RWBY will be overwhelmed before they even reach the walls of Atlas. WHAT WILL HAPPEN: no personel will come and if they do, they will be so incompetent that a bunch of teenagers who had only trained in at a public school for one year with non-military grade weapons will somehow defeat these soldiers with miltiary grade weapons, training, and tactics.
    9. Team RWBY must then infiltrate the world's most impregnable fortress. Do I even need to explain this one?

But instead, the narrative portrays this as a moment of growth for Ruby, because it's totally a good idea to disregard the wisdom of a 40+ year old man who has spent half of his life as the most trusted agent of the illiuminati, running around the world on top secret missions and as such, would be aware of the problems these inexperienced and ill equiped teenagers would face. If I was Qrow, I'd tell them that they're all teenagers who've lost their minds, say "good luck!" and wave good bye and go back to the bar. I wouldn't go down with Ruby's ship; I still have another 30-40 years ahead of me.

Gotta tune in next week to see how ridiculous it's gonna be.

Figured I would bump this thread since it's been over two years since the last reply.

I noticed one of the reactor channels I was subscribed to watch the first episode of RWBY. I was intrigued to see it was actually 3D, American made by some YouTube channel I vaguely remembered awhile ago, and voiced originally in English. So I decided to check it out myself. I was hooked. I didn't really care about the low budget production looks of the first few episodes, I knew it would get better. I spent the last few days binge watching everything there is to do with this show. Ngl, volume 4 was probably the slowest with them just wandering in the forest, not really getting much done. But the action scenes are awesome, easily the best of any anime I've watched. Characters are interesting and anime cute at times, probably why it's so popular in Japan, or so I hear.

Only worried about the pacing. Not sure how long term this show is supposed to be but it's moving a little slow. I've watched about 7 seven years worth of episodes and I'm left wondering if this is still going to be going on past 2030.

Anyway, we're in the middle of volume 7 atm, and I'm looking forward to each new episode.
    Last edited by Very Tired; 2020-01-04 at 05:03 AM.

I've wanted to watch RWBY for awhile since the show seems to be available for free on youtube or I could buy the first 5 volumes for a combined total of $25.

I've been listening to RWBY music on spotify so maybe that'll give me the motivation to finally watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It is anime, king of the hill is anime. Just like batman comics are manga

Anime means animation

Manga means comic. It's not a genre
    And champagne is just sparkling wine....

RWBY was good until the forcing of bumblebee and their rabid fanbase.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It is anime, king of the hill is anime. Just like batman comics are manga

Anime means animation

Manga means comic. It's not a genre
    Anime is used to note Japanese works which have a drastically different vibe than western ones and even other eastern ones due to the culture gap. This is being purposefully obtuse, you understand the intent.

This isn’t anime nor does it come across as one, doesn’t matter what the creator wants it to be, it’s just another vague strip mining of designs. It’s fan base can throw as many fits as it wants, easy to ignore as no one who defends this drivel is worth conversing with anyway

RWBY was good until the forcing of bumblebee and their rabid fanbase.
    Truly shippers are toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    I've wanted to watch RWBY for awhile since the show seems to be available for free on youtube or I could buy the first 5 volumes for a combined total of $25.

I've been listening to RWBY music on spotify so maybe that'll give me the motivation to finally watch it.
    The first three seasons are fun.

I would not recommend watching past that.

===========================

The first three seasons were fun. They had flaws but they were forgivable. It was a light adventure comedy romp with quirky personalities and crazy, over the top character designs. It was low budget, and it was stupid, but it was charming because they were giving it all with what they had.

Then you hit season 4, and the showrunners are trying really, really hard to make you take RWBY seriously. Unfortunately, the writers simply do not have the ability to get pull the story they want off. It does not gel with what had been established before. The narrative is trying to seriously handle a lot of ideas from the first three seasons they really should have been forgotten. Faunus discrimination was never thoroughly established and boils down to cartoon evil strawmans. All of the villains except Roman turned out to be shallow husks. You have two different sets of plot mcguffins, the maidens and the artifacts, floating around, which have been fighting a tug of war for plot and thematic significance. We never got a good look into the huntsman world, never got to see who runs the organization, the founders, or who are the top huntsman that everyone aspires to be like. Characters we've known since the beginning of the show have to be bent out of character to do things for the sake of the plot. The list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    The remaining RWBY fanbase in general is extremely toxic. Their message boards have turned into echo chambers and they dogpile any critics. They also really like to use the "you are homophobic" or "you support abusers" card a lot. Can't have a decent discussion with them talking about the structural problems with the show.

10+ Year Old Account
    been watching it since it was released, big RT fan. its lit fam. definitely a quality anime. thing i love the most is the intros and the music never cease to hype up the show. the fight scenes are ridiculous at times but they look so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    bumblebee shippers are the worst ones i have ever seen.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    bumblebee shippers are the worst ones i have ever seen.
    Agreed and it doesn't help with all the ship bait from this season.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Then you hit season 4, and the showrunners are trying really, really hard to make you take RWBY seriously. Unfortunately, the writers simply do not have the ability to get pull the story they want off. It does not gel with what had been established before
    I think perhaps some of that is forgivable because the writers were not the writers.

The main writer/animator passed away at the end of Season 3/production phase. That left the rest of the team to figure out wtf to do with a series that was in full production and licensing.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The first three seasons are fun.

I would not recommend watching past that.

===========================

The first three seasons were fun. They had flaws but they were forgivable. It was a light adventure comedy romp with quirky personalities and crazy, over the top character designs. It was low budget, and it was stupid, but it was charming because they were giving it all with what they had.

Then you hit season 4, and the showrunners are trying really, really hard to make you take RWBY seriously. Unfortunately, the writers simply do not have the ability to get pull the story they want off. It does not gel with what had been established before. The narrative is trying to seriously handle a lot of ideas from the first three seasons they really should have been forgotten. Faunus discrimination was never thoroughly established and boils down to cartoon evil strawmans. All of the villains except Roman turned out to be shallow husks. You have two different sets of plot mcguffins, the maidens and the artifacts, floating around, which have been fighting a tug of war for plot and thematic significance. We never got a good look into the huntsman world, never got to see who runs the organization, the founders, or who are the top huntsman that everyone aspires to be like. Characters we've known since the beginning of the show have to be bent out of character to do things for the sake of the plot. The list goes on and on.
    I'm not sure if you're caught up with the latest episodes, but they seem to have gone back to their roots with this new school they are at. Giving us a look into the huntsman world. Not sure if it's a temporary thing or if we can expect them to stay there for a few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Agreed and it doesn't help with all the ship bait from this season.
    which is why i am basically done with RWBY. its starting to feel like Miles and Kerry are no longer following Monty's notes/wishes and just pleases the toxic fans.

7+ Year Old Account
    which is why i am basically done with RWBY. its starting to feel like Miles and Kerry are no longer following Monty's notes/wishes and just pleases the toxic fans.
    I am okay if Yang and Blake become a thing, that's actually fine with me. I just want it to feel like a natural progress of the characters rather than "We gay now!"
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I am okay if Yang and Blake become a thing, that's actually fine with me. I just want it to feel like a natural progress of the characters rather than "We gay now!"
    sadly at this point if they tried to make it more natural it would feel like pandering.

7+ Year Old Account
    sadly at this point if they tried to make it more natural it would feel like pandering.
    I fully agree with that. They have put themselves in a position where they either have to tease it forever, get it over with or drop it completely.

That last option isn't going to happen because that will cost fans, so it is really only two options.
    –The Sith Code

I fully agree with that. They have put themselves in a position where they either have to tease it forever, get it over with or drop it completely.

That last option isn't going to happen because that will cost fans, so it is really only two options.
    no matter what they do they will lose fans.
    well they already started but still.