10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    So let me this straight. You can drain an unlimited amount of time off the clock without running a single play, up to five minutes? The way it was explained was that you get an unsportsmanlike penalty after the straight delay of games, which is why they threw in false starts. That seems like a hugely overlooked rule.
    That doesn't seem to be the case. Here's an article about the time-management used yesterday:

Thanks to NFL rules that re-start the game clock after a penalty, the Titans, while leading in the fourth quarter, took a delay of game penalty to take 40 seconds off the clock before punting, then false started with one second remaining on the play clock to take another 39 seconds off the clock. After that the Patriots helped the Titans by jumping offside, which allowed the Titans to run even more time off the clock. By the time the Titans finally punted, the clock had gone from 6:35 when the Titans initially faced fourth down to 4:50 when the ball was actually punted.

There are limits to how teams can exploit this loophole: With five minutes or less remaining in the fourth quarter, it doesn’t work because penalties always stop the clock inside five minutes. And if the Titans had done it a third time, they could have been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, which would have cost them 15 yards of field position and stop the clock. But until the rules change, it’s undeniably a successful strategy, one that Belichick has now both used successfully and had used against him.

Edit:
    Also, apparently, they don't have to be consecutive delay of game penalties. That unsportsmanlike conduct is triggered if two delay of game penalties are triggered on the same down, regardless of any other penalty in between.
    Last edited by PhaelixWW; 2020-01-05 at 07:58 PM.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Does mixed officiating crew mean only some of them are incompetent? I suppose its good there might be competent officials to overrule the guy who sees an imaginary penalty when he's within five feet of the hit.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly not sure if I want the Vikings to win here or not. I feel like I'd be more worried about the Eagles or Seahawks coming to Green Bay than I would the Saints.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Drew Brees choked. GG Vikings.

- - - Updated - - -

SAINTS ARE BACK UP POGCHAMP

- - - Updated - - -

NotLikeThis Damn instant replay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can Taysom Hill save our season?
    /s

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Can Taysom Hill save our season?
    I am not a big Saints person but I’m lending Taysom Hill my energy. Yall need a Spirit Bomb big time.

Wow this game...

Props to Cousins tho, he finally won a big game.
    Last edited by PokeKitty; 2020-01-05 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuckin' PJ

- - - Updated - - -

LOL at the season hinging on a pass interference review. Nevermind, they're not even gonna bother?
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Well Packers get the wounded bird I guess.

Honestly that scares me more than the Saints because these are two MVP level QBs who are going to be by next week used to playing behind busted up OLs and are accustomed to playing outdoors in the cold.

If I had to pick one, though, I'd take the Eagles over the Seahawks. Seahawks expect to get their injured OL back next week.

Looks like the annual tradition of Saints blaming refs for losing will continue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Looks like the annual tradition of Saints blaming refs for losing will continue.
    They blamed the refs for even having to play this wildcard game this year, so this is a two-fer.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Oh uh.

Bills
    Patriots
    NO
    Seattle
    Continuing my perfect streak!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I must have missed what the refs did.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    They blamed the refs for even having to play this wildcard game this year, so this is a two-fer.
    I entirely blame the Seahawks.
    /s

Maybe Saints fans/coaching can complain enough to get the OT rules changed this offseason.

If only Atlanta had won the coin toss in the Super Bowl and drove for a TD against the Pats (like the Pats did to them), the rule would be changed already, and we'd have OT where teams just had drives starting from the 25 and going head to head.

I didn't think they could do it. But they somehow pulled it off.

I still have doubts they'll run the table and win it all, and I'm still doubtful they'll beat the Niners, but they at least showed they have the potential to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    Continuing my perfect streak!
    I need to just pick anti-me in the wild card round because logic takes a one week break.

It's all chalk from here though. Byes win, 1s win, Super Bowl.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Maybe Saints fans/coaching can complain enough to get the OT rules changed this offseason.

If only Atlanta had won the coin toss in the Super Bowl and drove for a TD against the Pats (like the Pats did to them), the rule would be changed already, and we'd have OT where teams just had drives starting from the 25 and going head to head.
    If the Packers couldn't get that on to happen around mid-decade I doubt the Saints can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post

Teams crying for OT rule change only happens when the Saints beat them, otherwise we wouldn't have this "everybody gets a possession" rule.

That said, I don't mind the rules as they are now, under the old rules the game would be over as soon as it was 1st and goal, at least this way there was a chance to make a goal line stand, force a field goal, and continue the game. Much more interesting than before.
    Last edited by draynay; 2020-01-05 at 09:44 PM.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I keep seeing the Seahawks trying to run the ball. Right into the strength of the Philly defense. With RB's they signed in the last 2 weeks.

And predictably too.

Seahawks should still win, but wtf is that playcalling.

lol and then bailed out on 3rd down by Russel Wilson. Like clockwork. Maybe give Russel a chance to win on 1st down too? Probably makes the game easier if you hand the game off to your best player instead of your 5th string RB.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Teams crying for OT rule change only happens when the Saints beat them, otherwise we wouldn't have this "everybody gets a possession" rule.

That said, I don't mind the rules as they are now, under the old rules the game would be over as soon as it was 1st and goal, at least this way there was a chance to make a goal line stand, force a field goal, and continue the game. Much more interesting than before.
    It is pretty standard that people want the rule changed when it harms their team, but either don't care or support the rule when it happens to another team.

Depending on how "big" the team is also is a factor. For example, if the Bengals lost because of some dumb call or rule ... few people are going to care either way. A lot will go "Yeah, that's dumb." But, if the team they lost to was a "big" team say the Steelers, Patriots, Saints or Packers, the same people who didn't care would go "See? That team always gets those favorable calls."

It applies to all rules. The reason we have the current overtime rule (TD on first possession wins; field goal keep playing) is that people complained that OT sucked if a team just has to get in Field Goal range to win and it isn't fair. I see the OT rule changing in the next few years to allow each team one possession, but I personally hope it doesn't. Football is a team sport, if your defense can't stop the opposing offense when it matters, you don't deserve the win.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

I definitely think OT should change to the college format, with 1st and 10 from the opponent 25, and then you go back and forth til someone can't match. Like a penalty shoot out. No clock, just the play clock. Dunno if they do timeouts in that format, but I'd be for no timeouts, either.

And afaik, the Bills have never really been screwed by that. Texans won the toss yesterday and we stopped them on their first drive. We just couldn't do anything with our drive.