Poll: Some examples

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Its pretty obvious this title goes to the Last Jedi. There's a pretty good chance people will look back and see that film as the turning point where Star Wars just stopped trying.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Its pretty obvious this title goes to the Last Jedi. There's a pretty good chance people will look back and see that film as the turning point where Star Wars just stopped trying.
    You must be from some universe where Jar Jar Binks and Midichlorians never existed.

or ewoks...
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    or ewoks...
    Pretty sure "the Empire was defeated by teddy bears" was a meme decades before memes even existed.

But it's not all bad, at least we got stuff like this out of it:
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-01-05 at 10:56 PM.

I never see movies that would be classed as the "worst" as it's easy to avoid those when you just know they're going to suck, but I have two movies that really disappointed me when I saw them in the cinema. The first being The Last Jedi, the second was Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

You must be from some universe where Jar Jar Binks and Midichlorians never existed.

or ewoks...
    One thing you cannot accuse the prequels of is not caring. George Lucas still very much had a specific vision and passion for what he was doing. It just didn't work very well. The sequels feel like the new owners don't have a passion for this project.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    One thing you cannot accuse the prequels of is not caring. George Lucas still very much had a specific vision and passion for what he was doing. It just didn't work very well. The sequels feel like the new owners don't have a passion for this project.
    A vision so specific he's changed and added to the OT (what?) a dozen times at this point.

maclunkey

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    A vision so specific he's changed and added to the OT (what?) a dozen times at this point.

maclunkey
    Unchecked passion is what leads to terrible outcomes, and all the best directors have this issue on some level. This is why you'll get some very competent and universally praised directors putting out a movie that's terrible because no one said "No!" to them. You could see this in the prequel behind-the-scenes footage, everyone just sucks up to or doesn't speak out against Lucas when he suggests something that's dumb. This is why I kind of laugh at the the common line "Editing saved the original Star Wars!".... yeah, it tends to save every film when done correctly, it's common sense.

I think Blade Runner, directed by Ridley Scott, was an example of something similar to "maclunkey" when it came to the dubbing. I think the original theatrical cut did not have any dubbed lines of internal monologue, but Ridley Scott was adamant about having them despite no one else on the project thinking it was a good idea. Even Harrison Ford didn't like the idea, and if you listen to the post-audio addition of his dialogues... you can tell he doesn't care and is just phoning it in. Nowadays, I think it's actually hard to fine a copy of the film that isn't this post-release modified version of the film.

Anyways, unchecked passion is completely different from no legitimate passion behind a project, to where editing can only do so much. Most of the movies on this list I can guarantee are either a result of no passion or unchecked/misplaced passion. How much studios get involved with projects is a mystery unless you get email leaks (such as with Sony) showing how extensive the powers at be meddle. At the end of the day the executives up top are signing the paychecks... and I'm fairly certain contracts for films have stipulations that the executives not involved in the day-to-day business of film have certain privileges to meddle.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Most of the movies on this list I can guarantee are either a result of no passion or unchecked/misplaced passion.
    That's just bad movies in general. Either the people making them didn't care, or the people making them weren't competent enough to deliver. Or both.

You can make decent movies without anyone actually caring about what they're doing (which is the impression I get from most of the X-Men films)...they just end up being forgettable at best.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2020-01-06 at 04:16 AM.

Pff look at all the whiners complaining about TLJ. I watched it again last night since it's on TNT on demand. It's still awesome. Worst movie for me was definitely 15:17 to Paris. 90% of the movie is basically a home video of a guy's vacation. Like, just going around and taking selfies, and going woooooo in a nightclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Pff look at all the whiners complaining about TLJ. I watched it again last night since it's on TNT on demand. It's still awesome. Worst movie for me was definitely 15:17 to Paris. 90% of the movie is basically a home video of a guy's vacation. Like, just going around and taking selfies, and going woooooo in a nightclub.
    That movie is legitimate garbage and might be a contender.

I suppose as always with movies like these you have to consider not just how bad the movie is on its own, but also how badly it failed in what it set out to do.

You cannot really judge Manos, the hands of fate fairly going up against other bad movies like Cats, because one is made by a farmer on a semi-drunken bet, the other is made by a studio intending to cash in on a somewhat beloved musical.

Just of the ones listed here though I would go with the last airbender, it is rare to see a movie Gail so spectacularly in what it set out to do.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It was cause and solution. Pretty shitty way to preach celebacy morals if the only way to get rid of the ghost clap is by fucking more. You also wrote the only thing that caused jump scares was one part. Good? Jump scares are cheap horror, usually people don't care for alot of them in horror movies.
    I think you misunderstood what I said. The solution was both being celibate (as the movie is basically about an STD) and spreading it so it'll be unlikely to be after you until a long time later if ever which is kind of counter to the idea of an STD since you wouldn't want to spread it.

Also, I said jump scares are dumb. This one had one whole one and the rest of the movie was boring so it adds to it being bad. There was no overall sense of terror and a lot of standing around doing nothing scenes. No constant fear and not even good dialog to at least make the tension break scenes fun or interesting.

I didn't finish it, it was pretty bad, gave up on it early and feel good about that decision.
    You literally missed out on nothing imo. I'm glad someone gets it.

If you think jump scares are worthwhile in a movie, then I can see why you'd have this opinion of It Follows. You're wrong, obviously, since it's quite clearly not a garbage movie by any definition...but it's not like anything I could say would change your mind.
    Again, read my above response. Jump scares aren't good. I was referring to the idea that they should keep you in a constant mode of terror. You can have tension break, but it should be done well. The movie "It" does this very well in both movies. They hype up the terror and don't resort to a lot of cheap jump scares. Every horror movie is going to have them, that's been true throughout the genre, but that being your only scare is pretty garbage.

For example, Paranormal Activity and the horribly bad sequels. They are literally just a couple of noises and objects move and then the last 2 minutes there is a jump scare and the movie is typically over.

It's an opinion. I didn't like the movie at all. You haven't told me why it is good or even attempted to convince me.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unchecked passion is what leads to terrible outcomes, and all the best directors have this issue on some level. This is why you'll get some very competent and universally praised directors putting out a movie that's terrible because no one said "No!" to them. You could see this in the prequel behind-the-scenes footage, everyone just sucks up to or doesn't speak out against Lucas when he suggests something that's dumb.
    Excellently said. It's not often that I read something here that shows such accurate insight.

This is why I kind of laugh at the the common line "Editing saved the original Star Wars!".... yeah, it tends to save every film when done correctly, it's common sense.
    Tying into what you said above, I'd say that what really saved the original Star Wars were the real world constraints - mostly budgetary and technical limitations - which forced Lucas to check his passion.

How the hell is Suicide Squad not on your list. Bad script, bad editing, bad cinematography, lazy acting and directing, a ridiculous non-profit. The absolute definition of a bad idea done badly by bad people.

If you voted for TLJ... you're a moron.

Disney's new star wars trilogy. Terrible disappointment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why isn't Highlander 2 on this list? Even though it didn't come out in the last decade, it should be on every worst movie of the decade list!

10+ Year Old Account
    Still one more year to end the decade, but so far, for me, it's a big brawl between:

• The Last Jedi
    • Rise of Skywalker
    • Ghostbusters 2016

GB and TLJ have a slight lead over the others, so far.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    How the hell is Suicide Squad not on your list. Bad script, bad editing, bad cinematography, lazy acting and directing, a ridiculous non-profit. The absolute definition of a bad idea done badly by bad people.
    I don't think anyone remembered that movie even existed a week after it came out.

Then I look it up and see that it made almost $800 million and realize there's no justice in the world.

I don't think anyone remembered that movie even existed a week after it came out.

Then I look it up and see that it made almost $800 million and realize there's no justice in the world.
    Half the time I can barely remember how old I am but I remember vividly that absolute disaster of a... I would call it a film, but that seems generous...

You forgot A Wrinkle in Time. For me at least a truly bad movie kind of requires a fanbase already built and then it needs to betray the expectations of that fanbase. The best examples of that are The Last Jedi, The Last Avatar, and A Wrinkle in Time. Ghostbusters 2 is also kind of a contender but it was obvious just from the cast choices that they were actively eschewing the old fanbase where they just flat out revered genders rather than making a mixed team like the cartoon. Anyway for me it's either A Wrinkle in Time or The Last Jedi since those were the series I cared most about.

God its silly when topics like this have things like Transformers and Starwars which are clearly not the worst movies of the decade.

For me its a toss up between "Into the Woods" or "Fan4astic"