Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Patch 8.3 PTR - New Auction House Interface and Updates

Patch 8.3 PTR - New Auction House Interface and Updates
    Visions of N'Zoth is completely overhauling the auction house and its interface to make it faster, give it better performance, and to get rid of the multiple pages of annoying single-stack items.

Buying

• You can either click a category on the left side or do a search to bring up items you want in the middle column of the new UI.
    • Clicking a specific item in the list brings up two columns.
    • The right column displays:
      • All the available auctions and the prices from low to high.
      • The amount of the item listed at each price
    • The middle column displays:
      • The item icon and name
      • A box to type in the quantity you are looking for
      • The unit price per item
      • The total price of the amount you want
    • You are able to purchase any amount you want without buying entire stacks.
    • The auction house will sell you the lowest listed price of the item first.
    • If you request more of the item than the lowest priced has available, the system will automatically add the next lowest price from the list once you buy out the amount listed at the lowest price.
    • The prices that the items purchased are pulled from will be highlighted in the right column.
    • Bidding has been removed.

Selling

• Simply click the sell tab and place the item you wish to sell in the box as usual.
    • The system will show you the current listings in order from the lowest to highest buyout price and the amount available at that price.
    • The left column will let you set up:
      • The quantity you wish to sell, with a button to auto select the max amount you have in your possession.
      • The unit price will automatically set itself to the lowest current auction house listing price, but you may change it if desired.
      • The duration you wish to place the item on the auction house.
      • The deposit needed to post.
    • There is no need to undercut as auctions posted later (at the same price) are sold first.

Favorite List

• You can favorite items as you please to create an easy to access list just by clicking the star next to the search bar in the auction house UI.
    Last edited by Stoy; 2020-01-06 at 03:41 AM.

AH changes are always welcome to me.

I found the "no need to undercut" a bit silly though, since selling the item faster would be the main reason to undercut today and that doesn't change with this new system.

It only took 15 years but we finally get an AH that's not a clunky piece of crap. I guess change does happen in our time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post

I found the "no need to undercut" a bit silly though, since selling the item faster would be the main reason to undercut today and that doesn't change with this new system.
    It does change though, since items added later sell sooner.

Unless an item's cost is the primary reason for it not being sold (overpriced for example) then undercutting is not necessary with the new system:

Seller 1 Posts Item at 10:00 for 20g.
    Seller 2 Posts Item at 11:00 for 21g.
    Seller 3 Posts Item at 11:30 for 20g.
    Seller 4 Posts Item at 11:45 for 20g.
    Seller 5 Posts Item at 12:00 for 19g
    Seller 6 Posts Item at 13:00 for 20g

If a buyer wants 3 of the item, it would choose these sellers:

Seller 5 > Seller 6 > Seller 4

Seller 5 reduced his fee for no reason.
    Speciation Is Gradual

The change should be to small undercuts we probably won’t see 2500g to 2499g undercuts as much because it wont drastically change the speed your item will sell, undercutting to 2000g or even lower will probably still happen.

I do wonder what profession health will be like, because I can imagine how enchanting and alchemy maintains high prices since people won’t have a need to undercut.

I assume that just means no need to do the 1 copper undercut. It'll auto-fill to the lowest listed price and the most recently posted items will be the first to sell at that price. But if you want to unload something even faster (drop it by a few gold or whatever) you can still manually adjust the price down and that becomes the new default low.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    It does change though, since items added later sell sooner.

Unless an item's cost is the primary reason for it not being sold (overpriced for example) then undercutting is not necessary with the new system:

Seller 1 Posts Item at 10:00 for 20g.
    Seller 2 Posts Item at 11:00 for 21g.
    Seller 3 Posts Item at 11:30 for 20g.
    Seller 4 Posts Item at 11:45 for 20g.
    Seller 5 Posts Item at 12:00 for 19g
    Seller 6 Posts Item at 13:00 for 20g

If a buyer wants 3 of the item, it would choose these sellers:

Seller 5 > Seller 6 > Seller 4

Seller 5 reduced his fee for no reason.
    Let's add a 7th seller currently looking at the AH and deciding what to list his item for. He sees that there are 6 other items on for the prices you listed. Assuming the buyer still wants 3 of said item, seller 7 needs to list his item at least at 19g. But, let's assume there are 300 items all at 19g. If seller 7 lists his item at 18.99g, he guarantees his item gets bought in the first 3 items sold rather than in the queue behind the other 300.
    Last edited by Mozu; 2020-01-06 at 05:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilmur View Post
    The change should be to small undercuts we probably won’t see 2500g to 2499g undercuts as much because it wont drastically change the speed your item will sell, undercutting to 2000g or even lower will probably still happen.

I do wonder what profession health will be like, because I can imagine how enchanting and alchemy maintains high prices since people won’t have a need to undercut.
    That's the main problem with both the new and old system, it's something that is super difficult to overcome. If stuff isn't selling because it's overpriced then people simply won't buy it unless prices are reduced, while some could call it undercutting it isn't really for the same reason as undercutting currently happens on live.

Prices will fluctuate, but the fluctuations will be based more on the actual desirable values of items rather than simply how fast a person wants them sold.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Let's add a 7th seller currently looking at the AH and deciding what to list his item for. He sees that there are 6 other items on for the prices you listed. Assuming the buyer still wants 3 of said item, seller 7 needs to list his item at least at 19g. But, let's assume there are 300 items all at 19g. If seller 7 lists his item at 18.99g, he guarantees his item gets bought in the first 3 items sold rather than in the queue.
    Wrong. In your example, Seller 7 can list his item at 19g, and his items will still be first sold. He lost 1c for literally no reason.

When you post, it puts you to the FRONT of the queue, not the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's add a 7th seller currently looking at the AH and deciding what to list his item for. He sees that there are 6 other items on for the prices you listed. Assuming the buyer still wants 3 of said item, seller 7 needs to list his item at least at 19g. But, let's assume there are 300 items all at 19g. If seller 7 lists his item at 18.99g, he guarantees his item gets bought in the first 3 items sold rather than in the queue behind the other 300.
    Yes, he guarantees his item gets sold first, but setting it at 19g also guarantees it gets sold first since he was the last to post.
    At this point he's reducing his potential income simply by expecting that future sellers would have undercut him also.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Yes, he guarantees his item gets sold first, but setting it at 19g also guarantees it gets sold first since he was the last to post.
    At this point he's reducing his potential income simply by expecting that future sellers would have undercut him also.
    Quote Originally Posted by xGLxAnubis View Post
    Wrong. In your example, Seller 7 can list his item at 19g, and his items will still be first sold. He lost 1c for literally no reason.

When you post, it puts you to the FRONT of the queue, not the back.
    You guys may be right, I read "auctions posted later" as a queue, not a stack. Still, doesn't seem like much change is happening. We're going to go from constantly undercutting to constantly reposting auctions just to get to the top of the stack. If it's an item that sees a lot of movement, there's high potential for your item to never be sold even if it's at a competitive price unless the entire AH gets bought out or you're resposting often.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys may be right, I read "auctions posted later" as a queue, not a stack. Still, doesn't seem like much change is happening. We're going to go from constantly undercutting to constantly reposting auctions just to get to the top of the stack. If it's an item that sees a lot of movement, there's high potential for your item to never be sold even if it's at a competitive price unless the entire AH gets bought out or you're resposting often.
    Well yeah, items with super high supply and little demand are going to get reposts happening, but in an ideal situation (for sellers), the supply and demand would be proportionate.

It's true to life: when there is too much of an item for it all to be sold, either prices are reduced or supply is reduced. It's inherent to the system that prices will change, but it'll now be based more dependently on their actual market values rather than artificial ones incurred by people undercutting to sell stuff faster.
    Speciation Is Gradual

The process of undercutting also requires re-posting without any AH changes, so overall not needing to degrade the prices by 1c all the time is a net positive.
    There is no system that can prevent people from either undercutting or re-posting or other means to try to sell their stock sooner then everyone else.

Yup - that was my thoughts exactly.

So it's pretty much the same as Guild Wars 2 auction house now....

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Yup - that was my thoughts exactly.
    But the point of undercutting was to undercut with as tiny of a difference as possible, because if you posted for the same price, the other seller's would sell first. So if you undercut them by a copper, yours sells first. Now there's no need to do that -- yours will sell first because it came later. You can still undercut by a large margin if you think A) there are going to be a lot more people posting at that level, and B) it's worth the hit you'll take for it.

But on topic.... um, can I really not ctrl+click items in the AH to view their models anymore? Or is that just a PTR glitch?

So don't call it an auction house anymore if bidding is removed. Call it the marketplace or bazaar or something of that nature.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    So don't call it an auction house anymore if bidding is removed. Call it the marketplace or bazaar or something of that nature.
    They haven't removed bidding on everything.

This shows that gear still have bids.

This stack system (last in, first out)... I don't know how much we'll like it, there's a chance we'll end up missing the current live system.

7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if it will be possible to 'game' this new AH, specifically as a buyer.

For example if I wanted to buy 1000 Flasks, and they were currently selling at 100 gold each would I be able to lower the selling price by listing a few of the same flasks for sale at a drastically reduced price of 25 gold, thereby causing the AH to list any further listings at my new price point? That way I would just wait for enough items to be listed at the new price before buying.