Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Would you Play as Centaurs (Horde) and/or Keepers of the Grove/Dryads (Alliance)?

Something I've been thinking about for about a week and that is 4-legged playable races in MMORPG games. I haven't really played any other MMO's out there other than WoW and maybe Skyforge (like spent an hour on that one) but I will look through other MMO games. I've not yet seen a 4-legged playable race.

But with WoW...

...WoW has the potential for it, in my opinion. Here are my thoughts:

#1. Both Keepers/Dryads and Centaurs share a lineage. They both are descended from Cenarius. While the Keepers/Dryads are directly descended from Cenarius, the Cenatur come from Zaetar who himself is a son of Cenarius. Since they then branch off into their respective race that leaves the door open (again in my opinion) to be brought into the major factions for conflict.

#2. Keepers/Dryads already fit the Alliance aesthetic since they more-or-less just look like Night Elves with 4 legs and Centaurs fit the Horde aesthetic looking more brutish and rugged with tan-like skin.

#3. Centaurs have had their contention with the Horde no doubt. We have seen this since WC3 and vanilla WoW. Development of a separate clan of Centaur that aren't barbaric and murderous isn't too far-fetched of an idea and we have seen races like Worgen who were developed into playable races apart from their original "feral" incarnations.

#4. I may be wrong but I believe the in-game models for Keepers, Dryads, and Centaur are all different. Personally I would love to seem them updated much like all of the races were in WoD so they don't look dopey and their animations are more fluid. Or, alternatively, you could develop a brand new model between male and female and just re-skin/re-texturize them between Keepers/Dryads and male/female Centaur. This leads me to point #5:

#5. Armor customization would be a sticking point. As we see with Mechagnomes, who get certain racial customization that overrides armor appearances, Blizzard seemingly does not view that as a major issue. The only thing I can really think of that would an issue with this Keepers/Dryads/Centaur idea would be for belt and pants appearances.

(Apologies for distorted pictures, best ones I could find that showcased the look as well as would show up in this post)

Centaurs for Horde? they are the mortal enemies of the Taurens.. makes no sense when those races have been enemies for years to suddenly become best friends.

Probably not, just not really into those types of races. Might be cool for others though.

No thanks.

7+ Year Old Account
    Centaurs are major enemies of the horde and the taurens, even if there is one who joined the horde is think in the comics, that would still be a huge stretch to happen so suddenly.

I personally dislike non-humanoid races, especially those ones with 4 legs, no mounts either, not my thing

Hard pass. Also hard pass on Naga when it inevitably gets brought up later in the thread.

7+ Year Old Account
    Satyr for the Alliance
    Ogre for the Horde
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Centaurs for Horde? they are the mortal enemies of the Taurens.. makes no sense when those races have been enemies for years to suddenly become best friends.
    One of clans allied with Horde.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Hard pass. Also hard pass on Naga when it inevitably gets brought up later in the thread.
    Naga would make sense. Alliance fans want high elves.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Centaurs were ever added, they would NEVER EVER be allowed in the Horde.. They are mortal enemies of Tauren and hated by Orcs/Trolls.

They would probably make a good addition to the Alliance.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Given the Centaur quests in the Cata quest-chain in Desolace, I could see a path for the Centaur joining the Horde (as one of the clans unofficially allies with the Horde during the process). I think you'd definitely need to update the Centaur model, though; and give a very good explanation as to why they've decided to formally ally with the Horde. It would be interesting to see a new form of Centaur using Aratas as its template, and with a bit of a cleaner slate than the existing Centaur clans.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

It won't happen for the same reasons there won't ever be naga. Armor and mounts.

That is besides many other things that would prevent blizzard from saying no to that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, thanks. Theres like million better races that come to my mind than centaurs.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maell View Post
    It won't happen for the same reasons there won't ever be naga. Armor and mounts.

I forgot about the mount situation. Perhaps a good time to re-introduce Plainsrunning then.

Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    One of clans allied with Horde.
    I'm fine with this.

The Centaur don't hall have to be enemies, Desolace does set a different precedent to WC3's stories, I can see that being developed to provide a horde friendl y race, -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    Centaurs are major enemies of the horde and the taurens, even if there is one who joined the horde is think in the comics, that would still be a huge stretch to happen so suddenly.

I personally dislike non-humanoid races, especially those ones with 4 legs, no mounts either, not my thing
    It is not the first time a race that has elements that are bitter rivals to an existing horde race join them. I wonder if I can think of any examples??? or wait, Blodo elves and trolls - arguments like blood elves being bitter enemies of trolls and orcs being bitter enemies of blood elves didn't stop them from joining the horde, and blood elves, unlike Centaurs, didn't even have any themes or attributes common to the horde at the time.

I f this was going to happen, I can see CEntaur going horde, becuase it fits more than Cenarians going horde. The reverese is quite possible too, but less plausible I feel because of the strong night elf connection, all the Ashenvale burning - remember cata quests with the horde killing dryads and keepers, and lets not forget Cenarius' death by the horde in WC3 and what we saw in Darkshore.

Personally I quite like some humanoid races, at the top of my list are CEnarians.. i've wanted tehm for a while, if not as a race, then as the balance druid caster form replacement of moonkin.

As for being a huge stretch.. please after what they ran with Thalassian elves, nothing has come close to being as huge a stretch, anything is possible to do with make-belief, you just invent more stuff and write the story to bring it in./

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Given the Centaur quests in the Cata quest-chain in Desolace, I could see a path for the Centaur joining the Horde (as one of the clans unofficially allies with the Horde during the process). I think you'd definitely need to update the Centaur model, though; and give a very good explanation as to why they've decided to formally ally with the Horde. It would be interesting to see a new form of Centaur using Aratas as its template, and with a bit of a cleaner slate than the existing Centaur clans.
    Now why can't the so called "intelligent" forum posters be more like you in this regard huh.? Or do people just like being devil's advocate for anything for the skae of controversy or deliberately try to use facts to tear down proosals they don't like..rather than using their head and just honestly recognising that a path can exist.

Whiles I ove everyone being hteir own unique individual selves, I wish people would sometimes beas thoughtful as you can be with the topics they discuss here, having at least carefully and honestly considered the options and stating a fair opinion. Even when they don't agree with you (which I don't always) at least be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    No thanks.
    You sir, though I disagree with, hats off to your honesty and brevity.

10+ Year Old Account
    They won't, because it would screw up many aspects of the game, like mounts, centaur riding a mount would just be beyond ridiculous, and plus trying to rework the armour for such races would take forever.
    Seriously, blizzard can't even make most new allied races without reusing older assets, like vulpera being reskinned goblins, or nightbourne being reskinned night elves, what makes you think they'd put the effort into a complex race like a centaur? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Something I've been thinking about for about a week and that is 4-legged playable races in MMORPG games. I haven't really played any other MMO's out there other than WoW and maybe Skyforge (like spent an hour on that one) but I will look through other MMO games. I've not yet seen a 4-legged playable race.

But with WoW...
    ...WoW has the potential for it, in my opinion. Here are my thoughts:

#1. Both Keepers/Dryads and Centaurs share a lineage. They both are descended from Cenarius. While the Keepers/Dryads are directly descended from Cenarius, the Cenatur come from Zaetar who himself is a son of Cenarius. Since they then branch off into their respective race that leaves the door open (again in my opinion) to be brought into the major factions for conflict.

#2. Keepers/Dryads already fit the Alliance aesthetic since they more-or-less just look like Night Elves with 4 legs and Centaurs fit the Horde aesthetic looking more brutish and rugged with tan-like skin.

#3. Centaurs have had their contention with the Horde no doubt. We have seen this since WC3 and vanilla WoW. Development of a separate clan of Centaur that aren't barbaric and murderous isn't too far-fetched of an idea and we have seen races like Worgen who were developed into playable races apart from their original "feral" incarnations.

#4. I may be wrong but I believe the in-game models for Keepers, Dryads, and Centaur are all different. Personally I would love to seem them updated much like all of the races were in WoD so they don't look dopey and their animations are more fluid. Or, alternatively, you could develop a brand new model between male and female and just re-skin/re-texturize them between Keepers/Dryads and male/female Centaur. This leads me to point #5:

#5. Armor customization would be a sticking point. As we see with Mechagnomes, who get certain racial customization that overrides armor appearances, Blizzard seemingly does not view that as a major issue. The only thing I can really think of that would an issue with this Keepers/Dryads/Centaur idea would be for belt and pants appearances.

(Apologies for distorted pictures, best ones I could find that showcased the look as well as would show up in this post)
    I would really like them to be. The Cenarians are a half-night elf race, thought of them before as being aa night elf allied race, centaurs really look like half humans, which is also fine for being on the horde despite being half human (undead are human afterall, and Belves are very human like) - I wont disqualify CEntaurs being half human in appearance, although their lore doesn't relate them to humans at all, which is one more reason it works so well.

The Cenarian - Ventaur conflict too is easy to visualise in the context of Maraudon and its strange history, not to mention the Cenarian Zaetar, seen more as the victim who got lost to a corruption.

I wouldn't make Cenatur half-rock men, but they should have a visible ruggedness and angular features that you can make the connection of being carved from rock like some men's facial features are like, all angles and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    I'm fine with this.

The Centaur don't hall have to be enemies, Desolace does set a different precedent to WC3's stories, I can see that being developed to provide a horde friendl y race, -

- - - Updated - - -

It is not the first time a race that has elements that are bitter rivals to an existing horde race join them. I wonder if I can think of any examples??? or wait, Blodo elves and trolls - arguments like blood elves being bitter enemies of trolls and orcs being bitter enemies of blood elves didn't stop them from joining the horde, and blood elves, unlike Centaurs, didn't even have any themes or attributes common to the horde at the time.

I f this was going to happen, I can see CEntaur going horde, becuase it fits more than Cenarians going horde. The reverese is quite possible too, but less plausible I feel because of the strong night elf connection, all the Ashenvale burning - remember cata quests with the horde killing dryads and keepers, and lets not forget Cenarius' death by the horde in WC3 and what we saw in Darkshore.

Personally I quite like some humanoid races, at the top of my list are CEnarians.. i've wanted tehm for a while, if not as a race, then as the balance druid caster form replacement of moonkin.

As for being a huge stretch.. please after what they ran with Thalassian elves, nothing has come close to being as huge a stretch, anything is possible to do with make-belief, you just invent more stuff and write the story to bring it in./

- - - Updated - - -

Now why can't the so called "intelligent" forum posters be more like you in this regard huh.? Or do people just like being devil's advocate for anything for the skae of controversy or deliberately try to use facts to tear down proosals they don't like..rather than using their head and just honestly recognising that a path can exist.

Whiles I ove everyone being hteir own unique individual selves, I wish people would sometimes beas thoughtful as you can be with the topics they discuss here, having at least carefully and honestly considered the options and stating a fair opinion. Even when they don't agree with you (which I don't always) at least be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

You sir, though I disagree with, hats off to your honesty and brevity.
    For the sake or argument, the blood elves hated the amani and gurubashi tribes. The trolls in the Horde are from a different tribe, though, some won't see any difference.

So pretty much standard recruiting for the Horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Does it matter? Trolls are "mortal enemies" of the elves... but we have trolls and elves in the Horde.