Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you charge your co-worker money if you drive them back home?

So basically at work, there are some co-worker or work friends want to get back home without taking the bus, or Uber.

Do you charge them money if they need a ride and want to go back home? Let say after work your co-worker want to get back home and is in the same direction to your home aswell.

Right now at work there is like 2 co-workers, they want a ride back home, I don't charge them a lot, I only charge them $20 for like 2 rides. It will be faster than bus and more cheaper, safer than Uber...

So yeah do you think charge your co-worker money when they ride your car is ok? Or it should be free since you all work for the same place and should treat well each other anyways.

If it's on the way, only if I have to go out of my way or wait on them for more than 10 minutes.

But yea if it's more than 1 person and u got me driving all over the place then pay up, this ain't no damn taxi cab. quit smoking meth, get a car, only drive it during the night and morning, keep the registration valid and drive on a suspended anyway. cops aren't going to care as long as you didn't lose your license over something like a DUI.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's on the way, no. If it's out of my way, they can find another lift
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
    If it's on the way, only if I have to go out of my way or wait on them for more than 10 minutes.

But yea if it's more than 1 person and u got me driving all over the place then pay up, this ain't no damn taxi cab. quit smoking meth, get a car, only drive it during the night and morning, keep the registration valid and drive on a suspended anyway. cops aren't going to care as long as you didn't lose your license over something like a DUI.
    If you don't have a license they will tell you to stop driving.. But if you don't get pulled over no one will find out. That said you'll still be in the shit if they find out, so probably don't.

If its a recurring event (sounds like its daily?), and there is an actual significant detour, I would ask for gas money.
    For only now and then, I would just do it for free if I like them.

If its literally on my way with no detour, I would just pick them up. If they are nice, they would pitch in on their own.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2020-01-04 at 11:26 AM.

You charge 20 dollar for 2 rides? That must be far out of your way then.

Only drove a co-worker a few times in my life so far. Charging them will just make me look overly stingy for a simple favor. If it were out of me way, I would just decline giving the lift.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I just dont give coworkers rides unless I like them. We had this new dude that needed a ride to work every single day for 6 months, and once we started refusing because we noticed he wasn't getting a car like he kept saying he was, he quickly found rides via cabs.

People I like get free rides though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here you get a compensation for transporting yourself to work on top of your wage, mine is about 120 euros for 30 Km's. So based on that 20 dollars for 2 rides is a lot, but i guess it all depends the distance, your car gas mileage.
    I drive with another co-worker we swap weekly it essentially means the company pays for my gas tank fully monthly, but only the gas all the rest like maintenance not so much from that amount.

If it is just to help a person out because they have no car that day or ride back, etc and they are decent folk i don't charge them. Some day you might need a ride and what goes around comes around.

So in my opinion only work out a payment that is fair and both can parties can live with if it is something you have to do daily, at the end of the day you don't want to be stuck in a car with others that dislike you.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post
    So basically at work, there are some co-worker or work friends want to get back home without taking the bus, or Uber.

Do you charge them money if they need a ride and want to go back home? Let say after work your co-worker want to get back home and is in the same direction to your home aswell.

Right now at work there is like 2 co-workers, they want a ride back home, I don't charge them a lot, I only charge them $20 for like 2 rides. It will be faster than bus and more cheaper, safer than Uber...

So yeah do you think charge your co-worker money when they ride your car is ok? Or it should be free since you all work for the same place and should treat well each other anyways.
    never.

its much better to have them owe you favour then make measly pocketchange.

unless you are very very poor. but then you would drive a bus to work not a car.

so you are just stingy

I would never charge someone for a ride if it was an exception and only happened every now and then. If it was a regular thing I would charge them, I'm no ones driving bitch.

For a one-off you better drive me in a limo for 20 bucks. That would get me like 13 km with a taxi.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-01-04 at 04:07 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, cash, grass or ass
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a rare event, no. If it's an every-day thing, I might not if their home is along the way, ya know, carpooling and shit. If they're out of the way and make a regular thing of it, they better start ponying up, or no more rides.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If its a recurring event (sounds like its daily?), and there is an actual significant detour, I would ask for gas money.
    For only now and then, I would just do it for free if I like them.

If its literally on my way with no detour, I would just pick them up. If they are nice, they would pitch in on their own.
    Yeah this is a great way to put it and how I feel as well.

Its called carpooling or carsharing.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeKitty View Post

I have never charged a co-worker for taking them home or picking them up if their car was in the shop or something like that. Now if it was a regular thing I would have them chip in for gas but the closes I came to that was years ago when me and 3 other co workers met up and we would car pool, we would take turns driving M-Th and on Friday we would drive our own cars since we went home at different times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Straight up charging a coworker seems tacky. Either do it or not expecting nothing in return. Assuming they aren't out of the way. You should also offer something if a coworker is giving you a ride on the regular, be it lunch, gas in their tank, something.

I'll ask ask for gas if it's more than once but nothing more than the gas it takes to come and go.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Never charge if it's just occasionally.

7+ Year Old Account
    51 years old and I've never asked or been asked to pay for a ride home. Who the fuck does that?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on where they live and if I like the person.
    If it’s on my way or just a quick detour I’m fine.
    Thou I live in a small city