Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I leveled with friends in dungeons. I was the tank, they were my DPS. That said, it took us about two months to hit 60 as at the end I worked on leveling my blacksmithing and we all started to independently level around the 56 mark. Depends on what you want to play and how much time you put in. A hunter or mage can level fairly quickly if you're not making a ton of mistakes and on a hunter you can solo a lot of group quests. Which classic has a ton of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is significantly slower than it is currently in retail WoW (even without Heirloom gear) if that is what you've been used to.

Like others have said, you need to invest more time if you want to level "faster" and it would help to employ a mixture of questing with dungeon running.

That is really the only thing that is preventing me from playing and investing time in Classic WoW again. I have 3 characters between level 30 and 40. I feel like the kid on the high dive at the pool; I walk up to the edge all confident and ready to jump but as SOON as I reach the ledge I back out. And I do this back and forth and back and forth.

Its slow, but not as slow as I maybe thought it would be bad. Still I know its like 300-500 hours to get something done in classic (lvling and some gearing etc), and thats a of course a lot.

I actually de-routed, and just AH playing on classic....I must be stupid to bother, but its kinda fun to AH play on classic compared to my normal stuff on retail.

Anywho...its to slow for my liking. Be it running 5 mans or questing, it all feels to slow. I tried run some SM runs, and its about the same speed as questing or maybe slower...Can hope to do like 15-20k xp/hour at level 35-45 :s
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2020-01-06 at 02:12 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

if you see leveling as a chore instead of content classic is the wrong game for you anyway.

Its that slow I played dang near every night for the better part of 2 months for 3-5 hours a night and made it to 48 before giving up. I will say that I did have more fun in that time leveling in outdated content that I had already done than I have had on Retail since CATA though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    I've played retail since BC and always was curious about vanilla/classic.

I unsubbed 4 months ago after getting AotC Azshara and won't be subbing back for Next patch because of time constraints.

Due to my work/study load I can devote half a saturday or so to playing videogames. According to this leveling speed calculator I found online https://wowlevelspeedcalculator.com/, it would take me 10 months to reach lvl 60 (Warlock, avarage leveling speed, 5 hours a week).

Is it really that slow? With that ammount of time I could complete multiple RPGs so I'm not sure if it's worth playing stuff that I (partially?) already experienced.

This is also after seeing how there isn't anything engaging to do post 60. All I see are threads of people farming PvP ranks and how easy current raids are.
    It is pretty slow - but you will have rested xp on your side, so if you are very careful about where you set your hearth stone, it may not be as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    if you see leveling as a chore instead of content classic is the wrong game for you anyway.
    This. Leveling in retail is like a short time sink where you're spammed with meaningless gear upgrades so you can hit max and jump on an endless treadmill.

Classic is a lot slower. Levelling IS the content for some people. Upgrades feel meaningful amd you can actually feel more powerful when you get certain pieces. Things take longer but they feel more rewarding. Some pieces you get will last for 20+ levels or until 60.

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    yes its that slow.
    Agreed.

classic would be 10 times more popular if people could buy char boosts.
    Disagree - convenience and easy leveling are not why people play Classic. If you're not the sort of person who enjoys the journey and you just want to get to the destination, Classic probably isn't for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonym View Post
    Agreed.

Disagree - convenience and easy leveling are not why people play Classic. If you're not the sort of person who enjoys the journey and you just want to get to the destination, Classic probably isn't for you.
    The thing is, back Classic it was very common to give your info to a leveling service and have them level for you.
    It was also how a lot of people got their accounts hacked.
    It wasnt smart, but it was common enough that even on medium pop servers like Draenor, there were numerous boosted alts for large guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinest View Post
    Yes it's that slow. If you wanna level faster you gotta put in more time. If you think there's no point then don't play. It's really that simple.
    Yep, what he said. That's why I quit around level 23. Fark that sheeeeet. I might go back to 1 hour a week once I finish up in Mechagon, but right now I can't grind rep AND grind Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    Not constructive at all. I do believe there's a point and merit in playing, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my lifestyle.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I've heard of people leveling via spellcleaving dungeons. If I end up playing, it would be leveling via quests. So then it would be too slow for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the detailed response!

I wasn't taking into consideration the ammount of travel time, I guess we got spoiled in retail. Now that you put it that way, it feels less attractive. I wanted to play the game mostly because of the lore and zone exploration/questing, but it doesn't seem feasible with my time constraint. I'm fine with games being slow, but if 5 hours a week ammounts to almost nothing then it might be not for me.

Hopefuly in the future when I have more time, I can revisit the game. But knowing this, it might be better if I stick with other RPGs for now.
    its a bit same for me. i would love to experience the endgame of classic again and have zero problems by doing a dungeon for 2-3 hours at weekends. but the time to level up to get there has stopped me playing mid 30. also i have the feeling that i missed the common rush and it feels like in classic you have a hard time when you are after the masses time wise, as long as you have no guild supporting you with farm runs etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yep, what he said. That's why I quit around level 23. Fark that sheeeeet. I might go back to 1 hour a week once I finish up in Mechagon, but right now I can't grind rep AND grind Classic.

exactly this.

Quote Originally Posted by deniter View Post
    The meat of the game is in journey. If your calculations are right there's 10 months worth of content for you in WoW:Classic. You can't say that about many other games these days, can you?
    With 5 hours a week, you can get a lot more than 10 months with 130 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by mmonym View Post
    Agreed.

disagree here strongly. a lot of ppl like the rules and game design of end game in classic, like fixed loot lists, etc. but cant manage time wise to get there in a appropriate time. i for myself would play classic 5 hours a weekend to raid once per week or do 2-3 dungeons. you can handle that at endgame. but comin to that point is not that great exploration and adventure when you leveled 9 alts in 2005 to level 60....

With my mage and warrior i devoted every single free hour i had per day to level (like 4-6h a day), took me around 3 weeks on each to reach lvl 60

It's about the same as 1-120 in retail with no heirlooms, boosts or other things like the Korrak event.

If you don't rush too much, should be maybe 5 days /played on PvE, 7 days on PvP.

half of Saturday to game? use it to play something more fulfilling instead of killing 5 small pigs and then one big pig!

the game is a time sink, time you clearly don't have!

10+ Year Old Account
    For people playing retail leveling is just a pain to get to the real content that start at max level. In classic leveling IS a major part of the content as it used to be in old classic MMOs and RPGs.

That's why there's a big clash between people who loves classic vs retail… That's not the same kind of game at all!
    Not sure if I'm a good guy but I'm working hard on it...

With good spellcleave you will be quite fast after 30 lvl. I hadn't played classic since TBC came out, and got 60 in 4 days 6hours/played, beating the original vanilla 1-60 record (with shitty knowledge of the game). And I wasn't even close to being amongst the fastest. Wouldve taken me a lot of more time had I quested to 60.

Took me 15 days played in about 4 months. Didnt rush, did professions, grinded dungeons, got exalted with AV.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Law View Post
    Honestly you gotta go into like me and one of my friends did. If you want to enjoy classic don't go into it thinking reaching endgame is where you're gonna start being able to "finally play the game".

In classic, most of our fun comes from leveling. People complain about travel time, quests sending you all over the place etc. but that's all what makes the game.

If you go into it with a goal in mind every Saturday I bet you're gonna have fun with it. Dont try to "beat" the game. Pick a class that you can get into character with and just enjoy the world.

You have to set these milestones like "ok first goal, reach high enough level for RFC (13+)" With only 5 hours a week to play you should be having fun because you wont really grind passed content and miss out on things, you can really take your time, read quests(I never do), explore the zones, talk shit, farm mats and stuff like that.

I guess what I'm saying is 5 hours a week is not a lot of time if your goal is to reach 60 and do endgame stuff asap. But if you just want to play the game you're gonna have fun with 5 hours on a Saturday. You might get a few dungeon runs in depending on group, might just travel to a new area but guess what? Traveling to a new area actually feels like an accomplishment in classic so it's all good. Getting a new green item even if it has crap stats but it's better than your current green item feels like you did something. Nearly everything you do in classic makes you feel like you're progressing your character.
    Just wanted to reiterate this. Unless you have a group of friends that are planning on doing end game, don't make Level 60 your goal. Pick a class you enjoy playing, and make leveling the game. Pick up some profs like tailoring and enchanting (for a lock).

I would still recommend a leveling guide, like Joana's, so you don't run out of quests, and it will help you waste less time finding appropriate-level quests to do around the world.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis