Thread: Editable polls

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Editable polls

My first experiences with making a poll were not great, when sometimes you forget something, then you can't go back or make a typo etc.

I think its to keep people from changing the poll once the votes are cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I think its to keep people from changing the poll once the votes are cast.
    I get that but at the same time, there's no sign of editing it, yes one can only be more aware and all for mistakes or typos when makes one, but first, the thread goes "live" and only after you can put the options, so i for example tried to put it as fast as possible, and didn't do a typo but could have. All i did was repeating the same thing, because when i post something i want it to be up.

At least let it change for about 10 minutes or so after made. In case of needing to be edited. After those 10 minutes you can't change it anymore.

I read "Edible polls" and couldnt for the life of me understand what you would ever want to discuss.

OnT:

Its a legit concern but as others have said it might be because the OP would be able to change things after a while and make it look like people voted for things they didnt.

Just prepare better next time you want to make a poll?

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Or you could make sure to proofread polls before posting them... sorry, that’s probably too crazy of an idea.
    You clearly didn't read what i just said, that you just said. But people do really love taking the piss out of others just for the sake of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    I read "Edible polls" and couldnt for the life of me understand what you would ever want to discuss.

OnT:

Its a legit concern but as others have said it might be because the OP would be able to change things after a while and make it look like people voted for things they didnt.

Just prepare better next time you want to make a poll?
    Ye, but when you're new here, and well, at making polls, you don't know how it functions also, and then you go back and you can't edit, and you just get embarrassed cause you made an oopsie.

It will be a lesson for next ones, but the first ones, will probably have some typos or something.

Only after knowing how it works and that you can't edit them, you will start having more awareness and pay more attention.

I totally get the concern about changing the polls, that can be a bummer. But it's my feedback and suggestion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Two options should be made possible. One in which if you change the question then all votes go away. Second is if you want to change the answers it should be possible as long as no one already voted on that answer, or even adding new ones if you wanted.

Being able to edit polls would kind of discredit the results. I know mistakes happen, but just try to take your time, and always remember. Add "Other." lol Having an "Other" option can't do enough for a poll. Just when you think you've thought of every possible choice for people to vote on, there are always people that come up with something you omitted or forgot.

You need to work on your communication skills if that word soup somehow implied proofreading before posting(clearly it doesn’t as you need 10 minutes to fix your mistakes after posting). Which directly contradicts your other point that when you post you want it up immediately. Here’s how you post polls on this website. First write the post, don’t publish it yet. Then write the poll. Always include an option for other so people can respond in comments if they don’t agree with any of your options. Proofread the entire thing. Then make the OP, add the poll by using cut and paste. Problem solved.

The only reason I’m responding like this is because what you’re asking for will not happen any time soon, if ever.
    yes one can only be more aware and all for mistakes or typos when makes one
    I said this and you went straight salt and saying i'm have a too weak mind to think about something simple like that. Please just don't. And even less talking about my communication skills.

The only reason I’m responding like this is because what you’re asking for will not happen any time soon, if ever.
    You do not have the right to talk like that to me because of something happen or not soon. You don't have the right to just take the piece of your time to make mine be miserable and having to deal with this. I have more things to do.

Perhaps you should read again what's this section of the forum, "Feedback and suggestions", i just made one. If someone explains to me why it's like this, it's a more plausible way of COMMUNICATING WITH ME, than throwing saltiness.

Please revise your communication skills with others. Better a person that does typos and don't have english as a mother language, than someone that knows how to type perfectly but uses it poorly.
    Last edited by Shakana; 2020-01-06 at 08:06 PM.

You need to work on your communication skills if that word soup somehow implied proofreading before posting(clearly it doesn’t as you need 10 minutes to fix your mistakes after posting). Which directly contradicts your other point that when you post you want it up immediately. Here’s how you post polls on this website. First write the post, don’t publish it yet. Then write the poll. Always include an option for other so people can respond in comments if they don’t agree with any of your options. Proofread the entire thing. Then make the OP, add the poll by using cut and paste. Problem solved.

So you harass people because you don't think change happens. What a role model. Glad your post directly specifies a direct way to remember something you wanted to put up in a poll and not just to proof read for errors. 10/10.

I'm for being able to change polls, as long as people can change their votes and see the old poll before the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Two options should be made possible. One in which if you change the question then all votes go away. Second is if you want to change the answers it should be possible as long as no one already voted on that answer, or even adding new ones if you wanted.
    Second option seems more plausible, but what if they voted on the one that you want to edit? Pointless. I guess maybe about 2-3minutes then, 2-3 minutes, was enough. Not much people would vote on just 2-3 minutes? I really just did this mistake twice, because well i was sleepy, truth to be told. And when i saw i didn't had the option to edit, i decided to give a suggestion, just simple as this.

Thank you for letting me know, the people that said why they are not able to be edited. I will make sure i will pay more attention, next time.

(But also, my suggestion is still up. 2-3 minutes after posting it, should be more than enough to get a mistake and correct the mistake.)

This is the most hilarious strawman I’ve ever seen. Good luck with the false equivalency.

- - - Updated - - -

Harass? How is it harassing to respond with how you can avoid needing to edit polls as it’s not a feature this site will be adding due to a lack of anyone capable of doing so?
    Now I guess I'm feeding a troll and this is my last comment because it's very obvious. Telling people how wrong their idea is without any constructive reinforcement is dumb.

Not everyone is perfect. Sorry that people want to fix a mistake that was made and may have skimmed over too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamuri View Post
    So you harass people because you don't think change happens. What a role model. Glad your post directly specifies a direct way to remember something you wanted to put up in a poll and not just to proof read for errors. 10/10.

I'm for being able to change polls, as long as people can change their votes and see the old poll before the change.
    I guess having errors it's normal too, not even on a magazine or so, they just do it once and don't check for errors, whatever the article is and no matter how big or small.
    Same for me, the thing is that even just being a poll and on a forum, i still like to present stuff in order to people, so if i do a mistake, i want to correct it as soon as possible.

About the votes, could as well be the person itself, that made the poll, after seeing the maximum people voting on something, they would rename the % of that one to make it seem that one is the best for person argument win. You would be surprised of how much times this happened elsewhere. I understand all the concerns. As i said, just me, insignificant member, doing a suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

And would take more coding than the site devs are capable of. Hence the obsolete software they continue to use.
    I'm a programmer, you don't need to tell if it's hard or not, and it's not that hard.

Or you could make sure to proofread polls before posting them... sorry, that’s probably too crazy of an idea.
    This.

There is a reason why a poll cannot be edited, you could change the outcome to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    This.

There is a reason why a poll cannot be edited, you could change the outcome to your liking.
    I said the same thing even before he quoted me and he still quoted me with that quote where i just said that one can still be more aware when making a poll.
    And others already told me about the outcome being changed to their likings, and i understand that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Being able to edit polls would kind of discredit the results. I know mistakes happen, but just try to take your time, and always remember. Add "Other." lol Having an "Other" option can't do enough for a poll. Just when you think you've thought of every possible choice for people to vote on, there are always people that come up with something you omitted or forgot.
    You're a poll king i didn't even knew how to make one in this site as you remember, before i asked you. Still mistakes were made xD

10+ Year Old Account
    It's too easy to game polls if they're editable. Take some simple poll: "Do you like X" Yes or No. Just about everyone that puts up a poll has a preferred outcome so if the poll doesn't go the way they like they can just go in and edit the poll so that whatever has the most votes is the answer they want to see. Do not even start to tell me that this wouldn't happen here.

The answer here is to send a message to a moderator or one of the global moderators and ask them to fix the poll.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    It's too easy to game polls if they're editable. Take some simple poll: "Do you like X" Yes or No. Just about everyone that puts up a poll has a preferred outcome so if the poll doesn't go the way they like they can just go in and edit the poll so that whatever has the most votes is the answer they want to see. Do not even start to tell me that this wouldn't happen here.

The answer here is to send a message to a moderator or one of the global moderators and ask them to fix the poll
    Thank you <3 My ex favorite mod. You will not be forgotten!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Thank you <3 My ex favorite mod. You will not be forgotten!
    Just for clarity: I'm not 100% certain if regular moderators can change polls so I may have misstated that. The whole time I was moderating I never did this.

Globals can though.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just for clarity: I'm not 100% certain if regular moderators can change polls so I may have misstated that. The whole time I was moderating I never did this.

Globals can though.
    Can you tell me the name of the global moderators, please?

I never said it was hard. I said it was beyond the abilities of those who run the site.
    Look. (And please read it all, with a peaceful mind) I get it, you saw my post and thought "you could have just pay more attention to what you're doing it's not a hard thing to do" Correct. It's not. But it can happen.
    I get you can be in a bad mood and just have no patience to explain why you just sigh over it and my english not being the best to communicate and have a big fat F for it and reprobate and question my IQ. But let me tell you just one thing, i'm not a much better person than you, i have my own sighs and often, i don't even have patience to even quote with a detailed critique. Humans fail sometimes, not me, not you, no one is totally perfect, and mistakes like this can happen.
    If you had explained to me how other people explained, for the reason as to why the polls are like they are instead of insulting my intelligence or treat me so poorly i would have understand better.
    And i get it, you think changes like this won't happen. Your right. But the suggestions and feedback are here for reason, and if they ask for them it's to help them improve, if they didn't had the resources of making it happen or want to improve it, they wouldn't have this section, but instead, they would have just a "help" section because they wouldn't want any suggestions or improvements. They might have the resources, but after analyzing the suggestions they might just decide that it's a suggestion that they don't want to pick up because they have reasons for it to be how they are. And that's perfectly fine.
    MoanaLisa was one of the moderators and never performed stuff like editing a poll, if not even they did that, how would i, a new member, that just joined the forum, committed a mistake, would know what to do in situations like this?
    I couldn't correct myself, fix my mistake and for so, i wanted help and i suggested the idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Can you tell me the name of the global moderators, please?
    Venara, Elysia, Tziva, xskarma, Radux, Simca, Zaelsino.

And to clarify, green level mods cannot edit polls.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)