Poll: If the universe was infinite then would Azeroth exist?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Actually - all of those could exist, although only temporarily because all are possible arrangements of atoms in our universe.
    They could exist only because intelligent life could create them. So in a truly infinite universe, yes, there would indeed be worlds made entirely of peanut butter.

Of course in a truly infinite universe, the probability of being able to ever witness the existence of the truly absurd would also be infinitesmally small, so, to all intents and purposes they may as well not exist.

All of which is completely moot given that the universe is not infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by visualdave View Post
    If the universe was infinite then would Azeroth exist? Vote in the poll!
    By that logic there would also be a universe in which I would spend my days eating chilli and farting in your face all the time, just because I made that up.

technically it sort of does, it exists as a series of 1s and 0s inside of a series of interconnected hardware. With sufficiently more tech, perhaps quantum computing, eventually, the characters could model life itself to a degree which an argument agaisnt it being life would be futile. Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    They could exist only because intelligent life could create them.
    No... have you read the Boltzmann brain stuff ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    That weed must've hit hard.

no, there may be infinite possibilities, but it still has to be possible within the laws of physics.

I don't understand.. how does the universe being infinite mean Azeroth can't exist? I mean for all intents and purposes the universe is practically infinite already.

Quote Originally Posted by visualdave View Post
    If the universe was infinite then would Azeroth exist? Vote in the poll!
    I mean... theoretically its possible, although unlikely...

No... have you read the Boltzmann brain stuff ?
    You clearly didn't. Boltzmann brain argument was posited as an absurd. It was used to discredit Boltzmann's theories (it didn't stick). The people who came up with it thought it was nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    The universe isn't infinite. It's something so abstract it's completely outside our comprehension. If there are multiple universes then yeah, reality as we know it might be infinite and the infinite monkeys + typewriters thingy comes into play.

Right now our universe contains finite mass and is expanding. We have no idea if our universe is inside something else, thus limiting it.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the mindfuck: If there are universes with different rules, and they are indeed infinite in numbers. Then there are universes in which it's possible to bring people from other universes into said universe.
    A lot smarter people than you haven't decided if the universe is infinite or not. There are scientist who hypothesise it is and there are some that don't, but noone has proof. Without proof it is stupid to argue if the universe is infinite or not. If you don't think it is then it's pretty simple. Answer to OP is no. If it is infinite, then you could argue whether magic could exist, whether or not it is magic, or even if our imagination isnt just some way that our minds are able to travel and view different parts of this universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojusk View Post
    no, there may be infinite possibilities, but it still has to be possible within the laws of physics.
    How much do we really know about the laws of physics? Rules science considered ironclad have changed when new information was discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalontas View Post
    You clearly didn't.
    Actually - I did, and understood it. You clearly didn't - but that is ok, it is a quite advanced concept in quantum mechanics.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Infinite universe doesn't make video games real so nah LUL

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    We're all but cogs in the godhead.

If the universe was infinite then all possible planets would exist. Not only would Azeroth exist, an infinite number of Azeroths would exist.
    @thwart <- don't click this and learn his shame
    Newsflash: 2016 Thwart would hate 2019 Thwart! Definitely don't click this either!

We see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am absolutely a jerk, a complete cunt. But I encourage you to rise above.

Yes.

Since magic isn't possible in the real world, Azeroth wouldn't have magic. But events might still just randomly happen to unfold in such a manner that it appears that magic exists. Infinite means every possible configuration of things and events, so while it's extremely unlikely that every time someone said the word "Jam" an earthquake would happen, infinity would mean that there was a place out there (infinite places, really) where that was the case. Not that saying jam causes earthquakes, but by chance, one is slated to happen every time someone says that word.

Correction - they wouldn't be stable to remain planets (thus the temporarily) ...
    No, they wouldn't be stable enough to become planets. That's a process that takes many millenia. Your peanut butter would probably fall apart into its constituent parts long before that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Yes.

Since magic isn't possible in the real world, Azeroth wouldn't have magic.
    So it wouldn't be Azeroth, making the answer "no". Some of the stuff on Azeroth can't happen randomly. It's impossible, not improbable.

i said yes it should exist just not in this plain of existence. i feel people who can make up a world for a game or book has visions into another dimension which is how they are able to get into such details about appearances and events

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    You are BOLD to claim to know the truth

Could you explain how is the "end" of the universe?

Is it white?
    Is it black?
    Is there a "stop sign" saying "universe ends here"?

It's a generally accepted theory that the universe is finite. What it is expanding into is another matter. The universe is cleraly defined though
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, they wouldn't be stable enough to become planets
    They wouldn't be stable enough to become planets using the ordinary way planets are created.

However - quantum mechanics tells us that a ball of cheese coming into existence is just EXTREMELY unlikely, not impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    It's a generally accepted theory that the universe is finite.
    That's incorrect - most measurements of the shape of the universe show it to be flat - and thus effectively infinite.