Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    400 bucks for rent is pretty easy man. Probably just helping him out with taxes on the place if it's paid off or chipping in on the mortgage if it isn't (depending on the where of course). I mean you should want to help him out with that for allowing you to live pretty easy. I had to pay my old man 800 a month to stay in the basement when I got out of the Navy and was looking for a job and place of my own when I was 22 and it was only like 3 months total. 18 years ago when 800 went a lot further. But at the sametime I liked helping him out.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Might have missed it, but I didnt see any mention of siblings. If youre an only child things are different, but if you have siblings a parent needs to take that into account too. They cannot just give handouts to one while neglecting the others. Its fine to not charge the full price one would get from renting the house to strangers, but at least charge something that makes other siblings or family/close friends decide to pass on the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    Okay, so.. I'm 33 years old, and live in my dad's house (who doesn't live here). I pay all the bills (water, electricity, internet, trash collecting, etc), buy my own food and order / pay for propane and heating oil when it needs to be replenished.. I also pay my dad 400 / month on top of that as a form of rent, eventhough he doesn't really need to worry about anything in regards to the house in terms of basic payments that you'd expect from owning / living in a home.

Recently, as I'm currently in the process of buying something of my own, I've been questioning if it's "fair" for me to spend that 400 / month on my dad instead of saving it and adding more money to my "own house fund".. What do you guys / girls think?
    Home owners insurance and property taxes aren't free, not to mention wear and tear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    So your paying for everything in the house and also paying your father money?
    Honestly it might be cheaper for you to rent someone else what is the house market like in that area
    I can't think of any place were you can rent a house for $400 a month without bullet holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I stopped reading at 33 years old. Yes.
    Someone said it.

Im 33. Haven't lived with my parents in 15 years. My mortgage is quintuple what the OP's "rent" is and this dude has the audacity to be complaining about paying for it.

Entitled much????

I couldn't imagine living with my parents at 33 freaking years old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rent is rent. But your dad is also your dad. You should speak to him and see if he's willing to cut you a break to help you save up and "move out". If your time frame is reasonable(like say, 4 months or less), he may agree. Otherwise just hold up your end of the deal until you're done.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Assuming you have a good enough relationship with your dad (because if you don't, it's probably a bad idea to live in his house anyway, rent or no rent), I'd just talk to him about it. Maybe ask him if you can hold off on the "rent" for a while until you get on your feet with your own place then make it up to him some other way later?

Either way, I think a conversation with your dad about the subject will be a lot more useful than a conversation with random people on the Internet.

edit: that all said, I do agree with other posters here that $400 a month is very reasonable unless the house is just a complete dump. Depends on where you live, but I imagine you'd have a difficult time finding a $400 a month rent house that's half decent from anyone who isn't a family member/friend.
    Last edited by avitush; 2020-01-07 at 02:44 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Home owners insurance and property taxes aren't free, not to mention wear and tear.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't think of any place were you can rent a house for $400 a month without bullet holes.
    The thing is he also paying for the utilities , which also add up.
    In my experience renters don’t usually pay those things so I’m wondering what his total expense is at. I’m guessing around 1k if not more

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    wtf does his father's financial situation matter?
    Well obviously there's a difference if the father cannot afford his medicine without the rent, or if he sits on fifteen houses and just charges out of principle. The question is not if he can or may charge the rent, the question is if he should. And the only one that can answer that for OP and his father are those two.

In my experience renters don’t usually pay those things so I’m wondering what his total expense is at. I’m guessing around 1k if not more
    I never rented a house and had my utilities paid, apartments sometimes yes, but not homes. An unoccupied home his utilities would be near nothing, he also could be renting that house out to a non relative and probably charge them more.

I've rented for as long as I've been living on my own (almost 20 years). I've had to pay utilities for every apartment or house I've rented. The only one that's ever been included as part of the rent payment is the trash when living in an apartment because everyone uses the same large bins, otherwise power, water, and electric were always separate.

Family charging rent is complicated, but as long as everyone involved is in agreement I don't see a problem with it. That said, in this situation, $400 for rent is INCREDIBLY cheap IMO (I don't know where this is, but in my area $400 wouldn't get you anything besides maybe a bedroom in a house rented out to multiple people...and even then, the house wouldn't be anywhere anyone would typically WANT to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Eronath View Post
    I have a steady job, my dad's retired.. Financially it doesn't hurt me to pay 400 / month in rent, nor would it hurt him to NOT get that money. However, I'm not a spoiled little brat and have no real issue with paying 400 / month on "rent" and am well aware that things don't usually come to you for free. It's more of a "should I pay this amount, while I pay all the bills and am saving for a home of my own" kind of thing.
    To me, I personally think it is fair to pay rent while living in someone else's house. However I also feel that if your father isn't living there, and perhaps in another city, or state, that you are technically looking after and taking care of his property. You're basically like a property manager.. So If i were him, I wouldn't charge the 400 since you're paying for up keep basically. That's just how I feel about it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    I'd never charge my child rent, especially if I were incurring no costs on the house anyway since said child also paid the bills for the house.

I don't get how some parents behave...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    There aren't many markets in the US where property tax is that high, but that's a valid concern I suppose. I don't charge my elderly mother rent or taxes when she stays with me though, just not in my nature to nickle and dime loved ones, but I do know it's not unusual among Americans to be like that with money.
    It's a western thing seems like to me, never heard anybody else do that's east european, or non-european.

Seems pretty heartless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    It's a western thing seems like to me, never heard anybody else do that's east european, or non-european.

Seems pretty heartless.
    I think so, I'm Greek and I can't imagine a Greek doing so, same with anyone else I know among the people I know from the Balkans and Eastern Europe. Same with Turks, as Kuntantee mentioned.

But I don't know if it's an American thing, an Anglo thing, or Western. Would this be normal in France? Netherlands? Australia or the UK?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshocka View Post
    Someone said it.

Im 33. Haven't lived with my parents in 15 years. My mortgage is quintuple what the OP's "rent" is and this dude has the audacity to be complaining about paying for it.

Entitled much????

I couldn't imagine living with my parents at 33 freaking years old.
    Shit happens. Divorce, addiction, layoff. Not everyones life is perfect but congrats for 'not being able to imagine'.

@OP I'm not your dad, so, I don't know. Its clearly something you 2 would talk about. I've had to move in to my dads twice and both times I just paid little rent and he didn't even want that. The less rent you have to pay, the faster you can get out of your situation. If you have to pay all utilities on top of that, you are not going anywhere for a while. Sometimes its best to find a coworker or friend to bunker up in an apartment, I know room mates fucking suck but its less awkward than living at your parents lol.

I just wish every room mate I've ever had weren't born in barns, why does no one know how to fucking step lightly in a house or not slam doors god dammit. In my city its near impossible to afford by yourself. Craigslist is also an option, you can get a lot of cheap offers there where some single dude/girl is just looking for some extra cash in a 2 bedroom. Search your local listings its worth it, you'll be paying less than what you are now.
    Last edited by Lazuli; 2020-01-08 at 05:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    im thinking op should fight him for control of the house.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Shrug. Ask him if he'd mind if you put your rent into a house fund.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I stopped reading at 33 years old. Yes.
    Same. This is beyond ridiculous.
    success comes in the form of technical solutions to problems, not appeals to our emotional side

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Shit happens. Divorce, addiction, layoff. Not everyones life is perfect but congrats for 'not being able to imagine'.

@OP I'm not your dad, so, I don't know. Its clearly something you 2 would talk about. I've had to move in to my dads twice and both times I just paid little rent and he didn't even want that. The less rent you have to pay, the faster you can get out of your situation. If you have to pay all utilities on top of that, you are not going anywhere for a while. Sometimes its best to find a coworker or friend to bunker up in an apartment, I know room mates fucking suck but its less awkward than living at your parents lol.

I just wish every room mate I've ever had weren't born in barns, why does no one know how to fucking step lightly in a house or not slam doors god dammit. In my city its near impossible to afford by yourself. Craigslist is also an option, you can get a lot of cheap offers there where some single dude/girl is just looking for some extra cash in a 2 bedroom. Search your local listings its worth it, you'll be paying less than what you are now.
    A functioning adult (which you should be at 33 freaking years old) is not "a perfect life."

2 out of the 3 things you cite for "reasons" are controllable. And technically the third (Layoff) is as well if you prepare as you should.

People make excuses for everything in life when it comes to shortcomings. EVERYTHING you do has an opportunity cost. What you should admit too, is failing at recognizing that cost AND/OR choosing the wrong option.

It's 100% okay to fail. It's 100% okay to sometimes need to take a step back. It's 100% not okay to recognize your failures and assign blame to your shortcomings on everything that is NOT YOU.

Do you have siblings? Think about if it would be fair that you are getting to use a large family asset to the tune of 4800 a year and they are out on their own. Also $400 is nothing. If the house is worth over 200k than that is easily as much/less than what it costs your father to own that house (maintenance stuff like roof, taxes, insurance). How much could he rent it out on the open market for?

Its funny to me that people are saying "he's paying all the other bills!11!!" Why on earth should the father contribute to the water/power bill if they don't live there. I think its perfectly fair that your father cover his expenses at least, especially at your age. Sounds like you are getting a really good deal, but you want more. Yeah if your father is making a huge profit off of you its not really cool, but I bet he would make more on the open market anyways.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehshocka View Post
    A functioning adult (which you should be at 33 freaking years old) is not "a perfect life."

2 out of the 3 things you cite for "reasons" are controllable. And technically the third (Layoff) is as well if you prepare as you should.

People make excuses for everything in life when it comes to shortcomings. EVERYTHING you do has an opportunity cost. What you should admit too, is failing at recognizing that cost AND/OR choosing the wrong option.

It's 100% okay to fail. It's 100% okay to sometimes need to take a step back. It's 100% not okay to recognize your failures and assign blame to your shortcomings on everything that is NOT YOU.
    First you can't imagine someone living with their parent then you say its ok to fail in your very next post lmao and whats with the assigning blame rant? jUsT CoNtRoL yoUrSelF. you literally cured the world of its issues with that genius. I'm 99% sure you live with your mom.