Poll: If the universe was infinite then would Azeroth exist?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    If the universe was infinite and all things exist, there would have been at least one universe destroying bomb that would have wiped out everything in existence. Therefore we can conclude there is no such thing.
    There was at least one universe where there existed an anti-universe bomb and saved everything in existence from being wiped out. Therefore, we can conclude that there is such a thing.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    there's planets that rain diamonds and glass and a planet that is pitch black and has crazy temperatures and does all sorts of crazy shit. the universe doesnt have to make sense
    And while these things make no sense to you, they still follow physics. Just because you don't understand that diamonds are simply carbon under pressure and that we only see a very narrow range of electromagnetic radiation doesn't mean those things aren't real.

There could be a universe where a place called Azeroth exists. Maybe even a universe where orcs, humans, trolls, etc all live on the same planet. But there is no universe where the events we see in this game would happen...where the rules of existence change every 2 years or more and where magic exists. Other universes may exist with different physics but the fundamentals of any universe would preclude waving hands around and saying special words just to have things done without any associated costs to do that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    you should consider that you can be wrong because you don't know the truth.

you might have a problem with your self-pride. you imagine things such as me writing "pontificating" things which I've proven wrong, or things such as that I know who is "Deepak Chopra" when I never heard of him, so you're wrong again...
    maybe you try to reassure yourself. well too bad. humility is required in science. humility highlights our ignorance. if we're not ignorant, then why bother researching. scientists are ignorant in a way, they lack knowledge. if they weren't, they wouldn't need to search and wouldn't discover anything.
    but anyway, since it all boils down to pride, doesn't make much sense to keep debating, I've made my point already. a little pride can be good too I'll give you that!
    Scientists are ignorant.
    2 is between 0 and 1.
    I've made my point already.

Imagine coming into a thread that's trying to touch on multiverses, infinite possibility and the nature of the universe only to pontificate about philosophy, call scientists ignorant and then tell people who actually have a clue that they shouldn't be so prideful.

There's a difference between absolute truth and the best approximation based on current knowledge. That is the nature of science, no one cares that you can sit around and tell everyone they are almost certainly not entirely correct, who fucking cares? The only thing that matters is the current best model, so unless you can prove it wrong and shed some light on a better one your pontificating nothings are just that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Scientists are ignorant.
    2 is between 0 and 1.
    I've made my point already.

Imagine coming into a thread that's trying to touch on multiverses, infinite possibility and the nature of the universe only to pontificate about philosophy, call scientists ignorant and then tell people who actually have a clue that they shouldn't be so prideful.

There's a difference between absolute truth and the best approximation based on current knowledge. That is the nature of science, no one cares that you can sit around and tell everyone they are almost certainly not entirely correct, who fucking cares? The only thing that matters is the current best model, so unless you can prove it wrong and shed some light on a better one your pontificating nothings are just that.
    you're getting delusional, starting with this imaginary quote that I said 2 is between 0 and 1, I said that if nature is infinite then there would be everything in it, not just all between 0 and 1, because 0 and 1 is a beginning and an end of a defined set, with natural infinity I'm referring to the idea of a reality that includes everything. you also keep bringing up words like pontificate that I've already proven wrong, but you keep ignoring the evidence that I don't consider myself bearer of the truth.

again, don't criticize philosophy for no reason, it is useful. what I say has already been said before, countless people shared their views on this, which shows that people care about things that are not pure science. yes the current model can be considered the truth as of now, but it shouldn't be considered as the absolute truth. that is a dogmatic way of thinking. if science would never challenge the current models, then we would be still stuck centuries back knowledge wise. it is not "pontificating nothings". it's things to consider and think about.

here's some wikipedia, you like to read it I heard https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_science

well, if natural infinity exists, then it will include everything, including the 2.
    Guess I'm delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    They wouldn't be stable enough to become planets using the ordinary way planets are created.

However - quantum mechanics tells us that a ball of cheese coming into existence is just EXTREMELY unlikely, not impossible.
    ...on the quantum scale. I.e. you might get some atoms that resemble the molecular structure of some kind of cheese, probably for no more than a few fractions of a second. Planets are way beyond the possibilities of that.

Which is good, because they usually get annihilated with their anti-matter counterparts and we really don't need the possibility of two exploding planetsized cheeses appearing right next to us.

No even if universe is infinite, there are still some rules that have to be folllowed.

you're getting delusional, starting with this imaginary quote that I said 2 is between 0 and 1, I said that if nature is infinite then there would be everything in it, not just all between 0 and 1, because 0 and 1 is a beginning and an end of a defined set, with natural infinity I'm referring to the idea of a reality that includes everything. you also keep bringing up words like pontificate that I've already proven wrong, but you keep ignoring the evidence that I don't consider myself bearer of the truth.
    Everything possible. Impossible occurences are still excluded. Even your natural infinity doesn't contain a defined set between 0 and 1 that includes 2.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    That would mean that Wow writers (Golden, Danuser etc) are gods in which case... we're all doomed

Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    That would mean that Wow writers (Golden, Danuser etc) are gods in which case... we're all doomed
    No, it would just mean they're either clairvoyant or just randomly happen to be describing a real place.

Quote Originally Posted by visualdave View Post
    But if it was never ending how could you ultimately prove this?

Fuck that would mean Sargeras might be about to pull up on us
    go outside right now and start leveling than so you can save us hero

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Everything possible. Impossible occurences are still excluded. Even your natural infinity doesn't contain a defined set between 0 and 1 that includes 2.
    a natural infinity, that contains everything, would by definition contain everything, which means that it wouldn't be bound to any defined set or limitations like between 0 and 1. I'm tempted to say that it contains only everything possible, but that pretty much is a human bias, because we can't wrap our head around a concept that would say for instance that something is both true and wrong at the same time. it's just not possible for us, and it's backed up by our reality that we perceive. something could be true in one "region" of existence, and the exact same thing could be wrong in another, for instance there could be different laws of physics that makes a same thing different or logical in one place, illogical in another. we don't know, we can only imagine what natural infinity could be. maybe the concept of possible has no meaning in such situation. maybe it's just a matter of probability. what if something has an infinitely small, but not 0, chance of happening, would that be possible? I believe so. after all if infinity has no end, then at some point that thing that we believed impossible would end up happening, or will end up happening an infinite amount of time in a row, we wouldn't know.

but that is not going very deep, we can't actually wrap our head around the concept. better be careful with our logic. apparently quantum mechanics is quite counter intuitive...
    Last edited by Cæli; 2020-01-07 at 02:38 PM.

You're skipping the part where nothing within the framework of known physics supplies any evidence at all for the existence of anything even vaguely related to the fictional world in WoW.

By all means, pretend there's a non-zero probability of Azeroth existing under a theoretical multiverse. That's just as much your right as it is to believe in invisible sky unicorns. It doesn't make you right, nor does it make you worth listening to.

A scientist generally doesn't conjure up a hypothesis with zero evidence to support it, you don't need tests to tell you magical planet-sized Titans don't exist.
    A truly infinite universe is impossible with our known laws of physics anyway, but that was the question asked. Your response saying it's impossible because of physics is irrelevant because the given question is already ignoring physics.

Thought experiments are like that. They're done for fun. They depend on you ignoring certain parts of reality for them to work at all. If you don't wish to play the game, you probably shouldn't respond. You're too narrow minded to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    A truly infinite universe is impossible with our known laws of physics anyway, but that was the question asked. Your response saying it's impossible because of physics is irrelevant because the given question is already ignoring physics.

Thought experiments are like that. They're done for fun. They depend on you ignoring certain parts of reality for them to work at all. If you don't wish to play the game, you probably shouldn't respond. You're too narrow minded to play.
    Wow you're right. If you consider literally nothing else you could in fact conjure up Azeroth from nothing. Good input.

stop marginalizing yourself and what you mean to this world by making it seem like we're a speck of nothing in the 'grand scheme'.

This is science fiction.

I don't think OP understands how OUR universe works to begin with, if it was truly infinite we could say one thing that would be true and that is aliens exist.

Wow you're right. If you consider literally nothing else you could in fact conjure up Azeroth from nothing. Good input.
    You're the one trying to apply real life physics to a prompt that is already ignoring physics. Nice doubling down on ignorance of the point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaetha View Post
    You're the one trying to apply real life physics to a prompt that is already ignoring physics. Nice doubling down on ignorance of the point, though.
    "If the universe was infinite" != "Ignore all known physics"

Good input.

"If the universe was infinite" != "Ignore all known physics"

Good input.
    That's really untrue though, isn't it Kharadin.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    With an infinite universe, there are infinite copies of EVERYTHING, including us, one were i am Batman, another one were Batman and DC comics dosnt exist, 1 were Azeroth is real and 1 were Azeroth is part of our "normal" world.
    You might not like it, but this is how it is, or were part of a multi-verse and 1 of the other universes are likes the ones i described.
    No. That is not how "infinite" works. It doesn't mean the laws of physics suddenly change.