Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Leave it to the Politics forum no-lifers to try to make a mountain out of mud from this one.
    If you check the OP's post history, you'll see his true intentions. Let's just say he doesn't actually believe what he's typing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    Believe whatever you want bro. Answer me this. Why would he say to not use their platform for political speeches? Trump needs to answer for all his bullshit. Other people tied to Trump need to be called out ( Like a lot of people at these events do ) So why be cool with shutting all of them up. So you support Gervais view of shutting up about politics and digging your head in the sand or just agreeing with Trump. Wow how the mighty have fallen.
    Because it has the opposite effect.

Rickie is also British, so like most brits, trump isnt something we actually care much about day to day as its out of our control, he only crops up in the news when he does something really dumb that effects us as well. Rickie's sentiment is comming from the recent massive Labour loss in the general election and brexit as a whole.

A take away from both defeats has been the publics negative reactions to celebrity endorsements, so he's essentially saying, if your rich and privileged and care about a specific political party or out look, the best thing you can do is not lecture the under classes on it because it's just free propaganda for the right.

That applies for trump as much as brexit and the UK Conservatives, a celeb having a meltdown on stage blasting trump isn't fighting trump its actualy helping him because it feeds into the current right wings narrative as being on the people's side against the elite.

The left needs to recapture the working class support. And re assurt its self as the voice of the poor, having the rich celeb elite as its spokes people its counter intuitive to that.

It's an optics and propaganda thing.s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is fracking ridiculous.

He was criticizing the rich and privileged, for conduct that has contributed to global inequalities.

That's a pretty left-wing position for attack. That the individuals in question also tend to lean left just shows that they're not that ideologically consistent in their own behaviour and practices. There's a lot of "oh, I donated some petty cash to another rich person's charitable project, so I'm totes enlightened and you should ignore my four mansions and three private jets and friendship with Saudi oil barons" going on out there.

I still think Gervais is more than a little bit of a hypocrite since he's just as responsible for this kind of shit as anyone he targeted, but to argue that he's a right-wing nutjob is absolutely fucking bananas.
    He's going the way of Morrissey and JK Rowling.

I thought he speech was tone death and everything wrong with the anti-woke crowd. Why would not use your platform for change when possible? If something is wrong in the world you don't stop enjoying what you have until it's fixed. It was the dumbest most edge lord speech possible. He did nothing but preach apathy.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ViolenceJackRespectsWomen View Post
    I thought he speech was tone death and everything wrong with the anti-woke crowd. Why would not use your platform for change when possible? If something is wrong in the world you don't stop enjoying what you have until it's fixed. It was the dumbest most edge lord speech possible. He did nothing but preach apathy.
    Isn't that what he did? Use his platform to try to point out something wrong?

His critique, judging by the reception, was more productive than any repetition of Trump criticism would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    Isn't that what he did? Use his platform to try to point out something wrong?

His critique, judging by the reception, was more productive than any repetition of Trump criticism would have been.
    No, he told them to accept their awards and not advocate about issues. He criticized apple but has an iwatch. He was being a hypocrite while preaching apathy. People with influence can work in a corrupt system to change it but leaving just leaves room for more corrupt people. Also telling people they're out of touch based on there wealth alone is kind of classist as shit. Trump supporters do it all time. While electing a guy that is cut from the same cloth. Only two former celebrities have been president and both are Reagan and Trump. Let that sink in for a second.

He didn't criticize them though he said just accept your award and don't talk about issues. That is apathy not a solution. He also judged people based on their wealth alone. He doesn't know if these people volunteer or donate money. He just lumped them all together to be a 15 year old edge lord again.

You need to have a job in this world and the most influence ones that can actually promote change are usually in the swamp... You can change more by being part of the system rather than just being a fucking defeatist.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-07 at 01:27 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, he told them to accept their awards and not advocate about issues. He criticized apple but has an iwatch. He was being a hypocrite while preaching apathy. People with influence can work in a corrupt system to change it but leaving just leaves room for more corrupt people. Also telling people they're out of touch based on there wealth alone is kind of classist as shit. Trump supporters do it all time. While electing a guy that is cut from the same cloth. Only two former celebrities have been president and both are Reagan and Trump.
    So the only valid topic to criticized is Trump? Or is it that people who criticize Trump, must themselves be spared criticism?

He touched on several important issues. Him being a hypocrite just puts him in the same booth as the rest of the room. You don't have to agree with everything he said to see that he tried to use his platform to point out wrongs, like you advocated.

So the only valid topic to criticized is Trump? Or is it that people who criticize Trump, must themselves be spared criticism?

He touched on several important issues. Him being a hypocrite just puts him in the same booth as the rest of the room. You don't have to agree with everything he said to see that he tried to use his platform to point out wrongs, like you advocated.
    Why the fuck are you so obsessed with Trump? I don't give a fuck about Trump. I hate Trump supports because they're hypocrites. They shit on celebrity that don't agree with them. While electing and worshiping two and telling everyone else to shut up based on there background. He touched on one thing and that was throwing shots at the apple guy but even that is a grey area because without sweatshops. Those people go back to subsistence farming. Which is a slow death for a lot of them. I agree with the shots at the apple guy but calling people out of touch and lumping them together is pointless.

My problem with his speech is the offering no solutions and lumping people together because of background. The fact he was also being a hypocrite 10 minutes later annoyed me. I'm sure a lot of those people donate and volunteer to change things. Everyone in America supports sweatshops directly or indirectly. Shitting on a total of like 400 people who do varying different things is fucked up though.

They should talk about issues all they want because not talking about them fixes nothing. I dislike him because so much of what he said was out of touch and judgmental. He also offered no solutions and lumped a bunch of people together based on wealth and status which is fucking bullshit.

Yes you can work for Sony but Jim down the road who buys made in china products is just as bad. One of you has the influence to change things the other doesn't. Use your voice and Ricky Gervais was being a 15 year old edge lord in his 40's...
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-07 at 01:51 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why the fuck are you so obsessed with Trump? I don't give a fuck about Trump. I hate Trump supports because they're hypocrites. They shit on celebrity that don't agree with them. While electing and worshiping two and telling everyone else to shut up based on there background. He touched on one thing and that was throwing shots at the apple guy but even that is a grey area because without sweatshops. Those people go back to subsistence farming. Which is a slow death for a lot of them. I agree with the shots at the apple guy but calling people out of touch and lumping them together is pointless.
    I brought him up initially, because that's what celebrities "using their platforms" have been talking about for the last 4 years. You then devoted another paragraph to bringing him up. Anyways, moving on from Trump and your defense of sweatshops, he took jabs at celebrities fondness of young women, Epstein suicide controversy and his close ties to Hollywood, and Hollywood hypocrisy in general. More than only sweatshops, although that alone is worth bringing to attention.

My problem with his speech is the offering no solutions and lumping people together because of background. The fact he was also being a hypocrite 10 minutes later annoyed me. I'm sure a lot of those people donate and volunteer to change things. Everyone in America supports sweatshops directly or indirectly. Shitting on a total of like 400 people who do varying different things is fucked up though.
    I think it's disingenuous to say the only thing Hollywood celebrities have in common is wealth. Hollywood is very much a distinct culture, they have close ties to the same people, shut up about the same things, condone the same behavior, hire the same PR-people, celebrate the same awful people, etc.
    There's different people, but no one living in and accepting and supporting Hollywood culture can separate themselves from the bad parts of it. They're certainly not to be protected from criticism.

I brought him up initially, because that's what celebrities "using their platforms" have been talking about for the last 4 years. You then devoted another paragraph to bringing him up. Anyways, moving on from Trump and your defense of sweatshops, he took jabs at celebrities fondness of young women, Epstein suicide controversy and his close ties to Hollywood, and Hollywood hypocrisy in general. More than only sweatshops, although that alone is worth bringing to attention.

I think it's disingenuous to say the only thing Hollywood celebrities have in common is wealth. Hollywood is very much a distinct culture, they have close ties to the same people, shut up about the same things, condone the same behavior, hire the same PR-people, celebrate the same awful people, etc.
    There's different people, but no one living in and accepting and supporting Hollywood culture can separate themselves from the bad parts of it. They're certainly not to be protected from criticism.
    What exactly is "Hollywood culture?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jehct View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCNdTLHZAeo

Why is Ricky Gervais all of a sudden going super hard full right wing trash babble? He has been rallying far right fascists for months now and the Golden Globes hosting was the last confirmation of that. "Don't use this platform for any political speech" ( basically doesn't want anyone to talk shit on Trump to the masses ) - Its crazy NBC let him host anything.
    When has expressing common sense made you a right wing nut job?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    The dude voted for the British Communist Party (Labour) in 2017. How is he far right?
    Which party, you forgot to edit out if it was the Communists or Labour (I assume you put both in with the intent of doing research.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Which party, you forgot to edit out if it was the Communists or Labour (I assume you put both in with the intent of doing research.)
    He endorsed the Labor party in 2017 but I think Aeula is saying Labor=Communists.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    When has expressing common sense made you a right wing nut job?
    It wasn't common sense if you remove sweat shop those people go back to subsistence farming which is a slow death.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not defending sweatshops just trying to say how fuck the situation is without them those people die. Thank your for your emotion based jab though. With automation a lot of those people will be out of the job as well. The people who can't switch over to a service based economy will be hurt even more. It's a sad situation and moral fagging about sweatshops is kind of out of touch. It's way more complicated than dis bad and dat good.

So no religious people can separate themselves from the abuse of the church? You can participate in a work place and separate yourself from it's culture. You can be pro something but also advocate change. Cause just leaving the system does nothing. You have to fight for the things you want. Advocacy is one of those ways.

Epstein also supplied really powerful man with underage women. If I support the countries they represent does that make me bad? Epstein had close ties to everything political dynasties, religious based organization. It was way deeper to pretend that was a Hollywood only problem is dishonest.

The amount of republicans that have been involved with minors sexually out numbers anything Epstein did... They were even reelected when the allegations surfaced. Are those people bad for supporting the republicans party?

I just hate people that criticize but don't offer solutions. I also hate people that lump others together because of things out their control.
    Last edited by Varvara Spiros Gelashvili; 2020-01-07 at 02:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ricky Gervais isn't far right, or even right wing, he's left leaning, he is just more old left. His a labour leftist, pro environment and a big animal lover. There are some choice things that gets right wingers all wet when he talks about stuff on twitter. But he isn't right wing. I don;t know how anyone else is seeing it as anything else.

The fact that right wingers have gathered around him speaks more badly towards the right wingers than Gervais. they see it as "hur hur left got owned" when thats not what it was about. His speech at the Golden Globes was anti-capitalistic for Christs sake. People hold on to the fact of guilty by association, but that aside Gervais is a terrible talker, thats no secret, his way of presenting an argument is awful and his transphobic tweets have me face palming but that doesn't make him alt right. So its understandable why people might see it as such.

You cannot just got around calling people right wing just because the right agree with some things this person said. I swear some of you people look at the world through a black and white lenses and that left and right are so different, like we breathe a different air or eat different foods, sure some of our major political beliefs differ but you are going to get lines that cross sometimes. To say otherwise is insane.

The worst thing I can say about Gervais is he comes across like an arrogant prick at times, but to call him alt right is laughable.

When I speak about my major political interests like my open support for the LGBTQ community, or my environmental beliefs I get chered by the left and called out by right wings as being a libtard or SJW. but the moment I question or even disagree with some of those things immediately , the right cheer me and I am labeled right wing, trump-ist, or a nazi by the left. You cannot win on social media. Mainly because its a horrible platform for discussion.

People live in a weird world where you have got to fully commit to a side, never question or doubt, those people are not worth my time. Stop this damn labeling.
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-01-07 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Ricky Gervais isn't far right, or even right wing, he's left leaning, he is just more old left. His a labour leftist, pro environment and a big animal lover. There are some choice things that gets right wingers all wet when he talks about stuff on twitter. But he isn't right wing. I don;t know how anyone else is seeing it as anything else.

The fact that right wingers have gathered around him speaks more badly towards the right wingers than Gervais. they see it as "hur hur left got owned" when thats not what it was about. His speech at the Golden Globes was anti-capitalistic for Christs sake. People hold on to the fact of guilty by association, but that aside Gervais is a terrible talker, thats no secret, his way of presenting an argument is awful and his transphobic tweets have me face palming but that doesn't make him alt right. So its understandable why people might see it as such.

You cannot just got around calling people right wing just because the right agree with some things this person said. I swear some of you people look at the world through a black and white lenses and that left and right are so different, like we breathe a different air or eat different foods, sure some of our major political beliefs differ but you are going to get lines that cross sometimes. To say otherwise is insane.

The worst thing I can say about Gervais is he comes across like an arrogant prick at times, but to call him alt right is laughable.

When I speak about my major political interests like my open support for the LGBTQ community, or my environmental beliefs I get chered by the left and called out by right wings as being a libtard or SJW. but the moment I question or even disagree with some of those things immediately , the right cheer me and I am labeled right wing, trump-ist, or a nazi by the left. You cannot win on social media. Mainly because its a horrible platform for discussion.

People live in a weird world where you have got to fully commit to a side, never question or doubt, those people are not worth my time. Stop this damn labeling.
    The problem is, people aren't simply, left or right, but people feel they need to label everyone because they can't understand that humans are more complicated and not everything is black and white.

He's a comedian who is not PC, apparently that automatically makes him "Far Right" even if he holds none of their views?

I guess today George Carlin and Richard Prior would be considered "Republican".

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody ridiculous op.

Gervais is calling out the fake wokeness of Hollywood, telling it like it is, and you translate that as far right?

Even the more woke people on these threads see what he was saying and agree with him.

You lose jehct.

on the subject too, I hope the message gervais gives out here resonates with the woke community, if you want to be progressive, don't look to companies like disney or apple or facebook as platforms of wokeness, because as he said, these companies profit off this woke culture in the worst way possible.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2020-01-07 at 04:08 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not defending sweatshops just trying to say how fuck the situation is without them those people die. Thank your for your emotion based jab though. With automation a lot of those people will be out of the job as well. The people who can't switch over to a service based economy will be hurt even more. It's a sad situation and moral fagging about sweatshops is kind of out of touch. It's way more complicated than dis bad and dat good.

So no religious people can separate themselves from the abuse of the church? You can participate in a work place and separate yourself from it's culture. You can be pro something but also advocate change. Cause just leaving the system does nothing. You have to fight for the things you want. Advocacy is one of those ways.
    Some religious person would be more analogous to someone who simply enjoys Hollywood products. The people at the golden globe are the priests, knowingly staying silent about their child abusing colleague because they dont want to shake the boat.

Take the easy example, Weinstein. After it all came out, you had two main groups of celebrity responses. One was "I knew, everybody knew, it was the first thing you heard about him and I'm sorry I didn't speak out" and another camp of "I had no idea until these women spoke out, my deepest empathizes..".

Both groups, of course, worked very closely with him and profited for many years. Both groups obviously knew, and ignored it, in favor of profits and their career.

Epstein also supplied really powerful man with underage women. If I support the countries they represent does that make me bad? Epstein had close ties to everything political dynasties, religious based organization. It was way deeper to pretend that was a Hollywood only problem is dishonest.

The amount of republicans that have been involved with minors sexually out numbers anything Epstein did... They were even reelected when the allegations surfaced. Are those people bad for supporting the republicans party?

I just hate people that criticize but don't offer solutions. I also hate people that lump others together because of things out their control.
    No one is saying only Hollywood had strong ties to Epstein. Hollywood was the audience here, so they're the ones he's talking to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gervais is a unfunny clown and hypocrite, if that is what qualifies at right wing to you I guess.

But aside from the very mindless seals clapping, that he took aim at. I think it’s important to remember Ricky Cashed the check both this time and the time before by the same people he’s performing for.

All while giving a speech about not giving speeches. He and J.K Rowling go pander somewhere else.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis