10+ Year Old Account
    All player suspensions were vacated, QQ more.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I think I'd be fine with McCarthy, Kellen Moore, Wade Phillips, and Marc Columbo as a core group of coaches.

Tua declared for the draft. Let the prospecting begin. Will he be the next successful lefty since Vick? Will his injury reduce his draft stock? Find out next time!
    Tua has one of the wider QB ranges I think I've ever seen.

If his health report comes back clean long-term I could see someone trading up to 3 to get him.

If they don't I think he could fall to the playoff teams.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Sounds like excuses to me. "Well they did it first" is a lousy reason to justify paying players to hurt opposing players. Did you see the hits Favre took in the NFC championship back in 09'? They were late, they were low and unnecessary. The following day they took pictures of his legs and they were plastered black and purple. They were taking dirty shots at him all game and you can't tell me that didn't affect his decision to throw it at the end of the game instead of scramble a few more yards out of bounds. There were points in the game where I wasn't even sure he'd come back on the field, writhing in pain on those medical tables grabbing all over. Sure he was 40, but any QB would be doing the same after taking the shots he did. So I don't care about what happened the rest of the season, during that game, it was very very evident bounty gate was in effect.

So in short, fuck the saints. Next to winning the super bowl, watching Sean "Boom" Payton and the Aints fall short in the playoffs is a close second, especially when it's a fashionable loss.
    So in short you moved the goalposts a ton. It went from Bountygate being a dirty thing to oh now it was just in that one game vs the vikings. K. I'm going to assume you didn't read the link I put either. Don't waste my time further if you're not going to have a discussion in good faith.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    We also got butt fucked by that rule. I really don't have any sympathy for the saints; this series of tragedies is still retribution for bounty gate, hell they shouldn't even have a lombardi, period. How the hell do you ban multiple coaches for year(s) from the team and find out they were illegally tipping players for injuring other players, and not take away their trophy? What? Like boo hoo, we had katrina few years back, so it would be rude or something? Fuck them. I don't have much confidence we'll make it past 49ers, but knocking the aints out of the playoffs is a good fallback.
    It would take something insanely blatant and egregious for the NFL to strip a franchise of a title. As in, not only a very blatant violation of major rules but illegal. It would also require absolutely zero plausible deniability. This is because, if they did start stripping titles, there are far too many titles and games that have an asterisks tied to it and would open up a can of worms that the NFL absolutely doesn't want to deal with.

That's not to say I don't think some should be stripped of their titles, because I definitely feel there are have been some that were clear and major violations worthy of such an action, I just think the NFL doesn't want to have to deal with that as it could quite easily sink them.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    It would take something insanely blatant and egregious for the NFL to strip a franchise of a title. As in, not only a very blatant violation of major rules but illegal. It would also require absolutely zero plausible deniability. This is because, if they did start stripping titles, there are far too many titles and games that have an asterisks tied to it and would open up a can of worms that the NFL absolutely doesn't want to deal with.

That's not to say I don't think some should be stripped of their titles, because I definitely feel there are have been some that were clear and major violations worthy of such an action, I just think the NFL doesn't want to have to deal with that as it could quite easily sink them.
    It has to be something that violates the "palpably unfair" rule that is in the NFL rulebook to a point and the commissioner would have to feel that the title stripe would be appropriate. And yeah, I don't think people realize that there are a ton of super bowls where "cheating" has been involved in and I am not talking about the ones people "know" of.

And if Bountygate wasn't enough, I don't know what would be. I mean how bad do you think it would have to be. It would have to be like bribing the other team's coach to throw the game or something like that.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Matt Rhule is going to be the next coach of the Carolina Panthers. That is a very good get for Carolina. Surprised they pulled it off.

So Rhule allegedly called and gave the Giants a chance to match the offer and they went and hired a guy who coached receivers and ST in New England(because the Pats had such an incredible season at WR). And they want Jason Garrett as OC. Dave Gettleman is on Jerry and Jeff Lurie’s payroll. It’s the only explanation. Giants are going to suck for years.

(And the Browns are due to interview Jim Schwartz. Because Browns)

10+ Year Old Account
    Operation infiltrate Giants and cause them to be mediocre was a success. Now to finish off The Eagles mission.

Redskins did it to themselves so no need for a secret mission there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Niners
    Ravens
    Chiefs
    GB...I want to believe. I hope they can squeeze it out or bust some experimental post-season stuff. Either way, as I said earlier in the thread, I don't think Seattle is a good team and that this will be close regardless of how meh the Packers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Matt Rhule is going to be the next coach of the Carolina Panthers. That is a very good get for Carolina. Surprised they pulled it off.
    Have to admit didn't expect him to escape the Giants. But I guess if you need someone to coach an offense tailored to Cam Newton's skills and you don't want to wait until February for Greg Roman to be available you look to the college ranks.

Honestly I don't watch Baylor so IDK how good of a fit this is. His success is hinging entirely on Cam Newton staying healthy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    So Rhule allegedly called and gave the Giants a chance to match the offer and they went and hired a guy who coached receivers and ST in New England(because the Pats had such an incredible season at WR). And they want Jason Garrett as OC. Dave Gettleman is on Jerry and Jeff Lurie’s payroll. It’s the only explanation. Giants are going to suck for years.

(And the Browns are due to interview Jim Schwartz. Because Browns)
    Okay there's a lot to unpack in this one but let's start with who the Giants did hire. This is for sure my one and done candidate here. I get some great coaches came from a Special Teams background, but this pick reeks of "we put all our eggs in the Matt Rhule basket and struck out, our job isn't prestigious anymore (for reasons I'll get into here in a bit), and this was the best we could do." Plus this is another Patriots assistant. How many of these guys do we need to strike out before we realize maybe all the New England magic is in Belichick and Brady, not guys like Patricia, McDaniels, O'Brien, Vrabel, or Flores?

Now as for Rhule. I'm not buying that it came down to money. I expect the reason is Rhule came in, said "I want you to get rid of Gettleman and install my pick for the GM so I can have 'alignment' and get the players I need to run my system" and the Giants said "no, we're keeping Gettleman because he has Giants ties and that's 'The Plan.'" This is why nobody wants to come to the Giants anymore. They're an organization that's still living in 2008 when the rest of the league has moved onto 2020.

And lastly, as for the Browns, they managed to bungle their way into having their choice of Josh McDaniels, Eric Bienimy, Greg Roman, and Robert Salah. The fact that only like two teams here had a truly open process (them and the Panthers) is going to mean those two teams probably emerge from this with the best coaches.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit 7 years, $62 million for Rhule. That's Gruden numbers there. Thinking maybe the Panthers do move on from Cam Newton now. That's a "we take a year to tear this thing down, 2-3 to build it up, then you can judge me on years 4-6" deal.
    Last edited by Slowpoke is a Gamer; 2020-01-07 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Plus this is another Patriots assistant. How many of these guys do we need to strike out before we realize maybe all the New England magic is in Belichick and Brady, not guys like Patricia, McDaniels, O'Brien, Vrabel, or Flores?
    Eh, I mean Patricia has done decent in Detroit. McDaniels made Tebow work for a while, Vrabel has done magic with the Titans and I honestly believe Flores deserves coach of the year honors for getting a historically terrible Dolphins team to win 5 games. I won't argue for Bill O'Brien since what hes doing to Watson is just criminal at this point. Its not an illustrious coaching tree to your point but striking out seems like a bit of a reach.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    McDaniels made Tebow work for a while
    McDaniels wasn't the coach anymore when Tebow took them to the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tebow threw exactly one pass while McDaniels was HC.
    /s

Denver's offense was terrible with McDaniels. Mike Nolan's defense and Brett Kern's punting were why they started 6-0 under him. Not really a coincidence that the team went downhill after he cut Kern and forced himself onto the defense.

I think people forget about his year as the Rams OC too. He has been nothing but a disaster outside of NE.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Tua has one of the wider QB ranges I think I've ever seen.

If his health report comes back clean long-term I could see someone trading up to 3 to get him.

If they don't I think he could fall to the playoff teams.

I wouldn't take Tua as my "QB OF THE FUTURE". I doubt I'd take him higher than round 3 honestly. Not with an injury that he has. Too many other good ones to take that aren't such a chance. But he has the Bo Jackson injury that caused Bo to have a plastic hip inserted and retire. I like Tua as a player and think he is good. I'm just not going to take a high draft pick for a QB that could never play more than a season in the NFL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I wouldn't take Tua as my "QB OF THE FUTURE". I doubt I'd take him higher than round 3 honestly. Not with an injury that he has. Too many other good ones to take that aren't such a chance. But he has the Bo Jackson injury that caused Bo to have a plastic hip inserted and retire. I like Tua as a player and think he is good. I'm just not going to take a high draft pick for a QB that could never play more than a season in the NFL.
    Someone will for the stats. No way he falls out of the first round unless his medical are horrible. He came out, so I don't they're too bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Its been thirty years and plenty other medical procedures have advanced, I'm put off by the injury but there is a lot of evaluating between now and the draft to clarify things.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotera View Post
    Eh, I mean Patricia has done decent in Detroit. McDaniels made Tebow work for a while, Vrabel has done magic with the Titans and I honestly believe Flores deserves coach of the year honors for getting a historically terrible Dolphins team to win 5 games. I won't argue for Bill O'Brien since what hes doing to Watson is just criminal at this point. Its not an illustrious coaching tree to your point but striking out seems like a bit of a reach.
    I’ve seen this one thrown around quite a bit for some reason(including by reporters). Vrabel was not a coach in NE. And in fairness, he’s had both of his seasons finish 9-7. Credit where credit is due, his benching Mariota took balls. But being smart enough to get your offense to go through Henry doesn’t take a brain surgeon.

And McDaniels was a disaster in Denver. Having lived in Denver for a few years, I can tell you there isn’t a fan in that city that remembers the McDaniel era fondly.

Matt Rhule was supposed be a high priority coach for the Giants, can't believe they missed him.

Panthers paid like 7 years 70mil for this guy that never been a NFL head coach before, he still have that OL coordinator experience tho.

Im a fan for both Panthers and Giants so I want to see how things turn out next year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    I’ve seen this one thrown around quite a bit for some reason(including by reporters). Vrabel was not a coach in NE. And in fairness, he’s had both of his seasons finish 9-7. Credit where credit is due, his benching Mariota took balls. But being smart enough to get your offense to go through Henry doesn’t take a brain surgeon.

And McDaniels was a disaster in Denver. Having lived in Denver for a few years, I can tell you there isn’t a fan in that city that remembers the McDaniel era fondly.
    I think the biggest issue I have with Vrabel is he's basically a rich man's Mike Mularkey. Mularkey went 9-7 his final two years in Tennessee with Mariota.