10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Nah. I'd like to see the build the Jedi again....see the training...how the universe develops....all of that. Don't skip 25 years.

Or I could just want to see more of Daisy Ridley. Not sure which.
    I'd be cool with Rey leading the charge on a new religion. One where it is ok to have feelings and attachments, but not like the Sith where the only feelings allowed are negative. The way it has been is either be void of emotion (Jedi), or be overcome with anger and hate (Sith). Both have led to suffering time and time again. When we re-met Luke, it felt like that was the route he was going, but they didn't really capitalize on it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    That is how it started but the vast amount of people don't care about lore or things. It has gained its own critical mass so many do believe it is actually Yoda as a baby. The official name is "The Child". That is what most retail and products bearing the appearance is called. But at this point most people are not enough of star wars fans to get it isn't Yoda and just here it called a baby version of Yoda.

I have even seen a few star wars fans think it is Yoda but they are mostly kids or young adults that didn't pay attention to the time line.
    I find it odd they always refer to it "the child" or "it" and never he or she. Is no one changing it's little alien nappies or is it's downstairs mix-up just too alien to tell gender?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I find it odd they always refer to it "the child" or "it" and never he or she. Is no one changing it's little alien nappies or is it's downstairs mix-up just too alien to tell gender?
    Yodas don't have sex organs and the poop dark side energy through their ears.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Or maybe it just doesn't matter to the story?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Yodas don't have sex organs and the poop dark side energy through their ears.
    I thought for sure you were going to go for a Gremlins reference and say they just pop out their backs when they get wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Then why not just default to he? Calling it "it" all the time just sounds odd for a sentient being. I mean, they even call IG-11 "he". At least everyone other than Mando does.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever seen a toilet in any of the starships in Star Wars?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Have you ever seen a toilet in any of the starships in Star Wars?
    Didn't the Mandalorian show one?
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Didn't the Mandalorian show one?
    Yep, the "vac-tube".

While the above comment was directed at what we're calling the baby Yoda, this mentality should be applied to any future Star Wars movies they make when it comes to adding/subtracting to the movie(s). What I enjoy about the Mandalorian is that it's simple and doesn't try to be extravagant, and it tends to only mention or show things that are relevant to the story while spending time on character-building. What turned me off about the new trilogy is that it's mostly the completely opposite of the Mandalorian: it tries to get way too complicated and over-the-top, most things aren't pertinent to the plot/story/characters to where the movies tend to forget to develop the characters (if at all). This is shown that I actually felt emotions while watching the Mandalorian and wanted more, while the trilogy I just wanted it to be over by the time the third movie came around.

It's kind of akin to the whole Golden Globes with Ricky Gervais calling out those Hollywood elitists for being so detached from reality that they don't realize how unimportant/dumb they are and how most people don't care what they think or even think like they do. Those types of people he's targeting are the types who put out the new Star Wars trilogy, as it's devoid of what most people who like to see in a Star Wars movie and full of stuff that no one cares about. It's freaking Disney, they've put out such great content and have an amazing track record, yet how could they screw up a Star Wars trilogy and have no plan? It's because of those types of elitists who are so removed from the world that they can't comprehend why their content doesn't get universal praise.

I think that Favreau and his team has a much better understanding at what people want to see and what they enjoy compared to the new trilogy's crew, and I hope they're a LOT more involved with future projects going forward. Even at his worst, his content is still entertaining to some degree, and the Mandalorian (even with its flaws) stands well above all the rest of the Disney live-action Star Wars content to date.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Then why not just default to he? Calling it "it" all the time just sounds odd for a sentient being.
    Why not default to she? And for all we know "it" might be totally appropriate for the species.

Point being, it's just not relevant. The ambiguity is intentional.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    While the above comment was directed at what we're calling the baby Yoda, this mentality should be applied to any future Star Wars movies they make when it comes to adding/subtracting to the movie(s). What I enjoy about the Mandalorian is that it's simple and doesn't try to be extravagant, and it tends to only mention or show things that are relevant to the story while spending time on character-building. What turned me off about the new trilogy is that it's mostly the completely opposite of the Mandalorian: it tries to get way too complicated and over-the-top, most things aren't pertinent to the plot/story/characters to where the movies tend to forget to develop the characters (if at all). This is shown that I actually felt emotions while watching the Mandalorian and wanted more, while the trilogy I just wanted it to be over by the time the third movie came around.
    Funny enough, one of my favorite scenes from the series has nothing to do with building either the plot nor and characters. It is the scene of the two Scout Troopers just messing around. It's funny, it's clever, and it isn't afraid to poke fun at Star Wars in a way that is more than just a bunch of references. Yeah the whole "Storm Troopers and bad shots" could be seen as being a little on the nose, but I really liked it because it shows that Troopers are just guys who are doing a job in a far better way than any of the stuff with Finn did in the movies. It reminded me of those old Troopers videos from way back when that were a parody of Cops. Anyone else remember those or is my old man side showing?

My other favorite scene is actully from the same episode, the completely dialog free scene of Mando's backstory. Tells us everything we need to know about what happened to him and why he is the way he is without having to explain it all in needless exposition. Then later we get that nice little callback to that scene with Baby Yoda looking over Mando's shoulder as they fly away the same way he did when he was saved as a kid.

It really is just a well crafted series. A big part of that is it's simplicity. It tells a really small story for the most part. I am a bit worried though they are going to change that going forward with bigger implications like who/what Baby Yoda is as well as the appearance of the Black Saber but I guess time will tell.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not default to she? And for all we know "it" might be totally appropriate for the species.

Point being, it's just not relevant. The ambiguity is intentional.
    I knew someone was going to say that...

I was not trying to be sexist. My point was, in general, out language tends to default to the masculine, whether that is right or wrong. If you look around online, most people refer to Baby Yoda as he already.

And we know "it" isn't correct since there is both a male and female referred to as such in cannon already.

And yes, I know the ambiguity is intentional and that is exactly why I do think it will be relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    China isn't a fictional universe? Nor did they have Darth Vader.........

Educate yourself before comparing the darksaber to the Excalibur.....

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Darksaber
    Is the darksaber the weapon held by that imperial Hoff at the end of episode 8?

- - - Updated - - -

Funny enough, one of my favorite scenes from the series has nothing to do with building either the plot nor and characters. It is the scene of the two Scout Troopers just messing around. It's funny, it's clever, and it isn't afraid to poke fun at Star Wars in a way that is more than just a bunch of references.
    hahah I found that pretty dang funny too. Neither one could hit the thing on the ground, only to check the weapon to see if anything was wrong. I always thought that scout troopers had better aim than stormtroopers. :P
    They did actually aim at the thing tho, only to have the shot fire away from it...even at that close range. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I saw a lot of headlines today, where folks have been making sure to officially point out that "Baby Yoda" is not actually the younger version of Yoda himself.

I guess it's possible that people don't understand when this takes place vs the movies, but I was pretty sure they called him "Baby Yoda" because the name of the species was never actually given, or as a sort of short hand, rather than believing it was an actual baby Yoda years after 900 year old Yoda's death.

Watiti even said he knows the baby's name but isn't saying... like it matters what the name is at this point? We're not going to like, recognize it!
    I wasn't sure of the timeline until i looked it up. The timelines dont fit for the baby to be a younger version of yaddle or yoda. People just need to do a little bit of research to find out. lol

Hopefully we will find out who the baby really is. It was mentioned that the baby was most likely not engineered. Yoda would be dead during this timeline, maybe it's a love child with yoda/yaddle but who knows.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

I was not trying to be sexist. My point was, in general, out language tends to default to the masculine, whether that is right or wrong. If you look around online, most people refer to Baby Yoda as he already.
    It's not rooted in the language, it's rooted in convention. There is no grammatical reason to default to he, it's purely habit. And habits change. Many scientific papers, for example, actively default to pronouns other than he now - because unless we change things, they'll always stay the same.

But anyway, that's digressing too far. It's not relevant for now. If and when it becomes relevant, it'll be different. Until then, there's no reason to pick.

15+ Year Old Account
    And we know "it" isn't correct since there is both a male and female referred to as such in cannon already.
    I think it is just for the show. But in a galaxy like star wars where there are multiple species and varying definitions of gender, maturity, and what not "it" might just be the standard way to refer to things. For a out of show stand point we don't know enough about the species to know if it is even male or female at this point. Only that at some point there are male and female "Yoda people". Not everyone even has the same reproductive organs as we know it.

Maybe every just says it because that is what the empire guys used that originally put the bounty out. So they are just using what they used until they figure it out.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I'd be cool with Rey leading the charge on a new religion. One where it is ok to have feelings and attachments, but not like the Sith where the only feelings allowed are negative. The way it has been is either be void of emotion (Jedi), or be overcome with anger and hate (Sith). Both have led to suffering time and time again. When we re-met Luke, it felt like that was the route he was going, but they didn't really capitalize on it.
    That's where Episode 8 seemed to be heading.

And then Episode 9 made it about the big bad evil sith emperor the whole time.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I think people took my joke mostly just meant as a way to work "down stairs mix-up" into conversation far to seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

It's pretty clear they didn't have a plan for the series beyond each movie when they made them. Then, the backlash to Episode 8 had they really panicking and we see what happened. I just hope they learn from this and if/when they do another trilogy, they at least make a vague outline for the whole thing before starting the first movie.

Funny enough, one of my favorite scenes from the series has nothing to do with building either the plot nor and characters. It is the scene of the two Scout Troopers just messing around. It's funny, it's clever, and it isn't afraid to poke fun at Star Wars in a way that is more than just a bunch of references. Yeah the whole "Storm Troopers and bad shots" could be seen as being a little on the nose, but I really liked it because it shows that Troopers are just guys who are doing a job in a far better way than any of the stuff with Finn did in the movies. It reminded me of those old Troopers videos from way back when that were a parody of Cops. Anyone else remember those or is my old man side showing?
    I enjoyed that scene, too, but I still put it under world-building and pertinent to the story in some regard. Too often in the Star Wars movies, we just treat the grunts of the Empire/First Order/etc. barely as people, but this kind of humanizes them. In that scene, it still establishes how the troops feel about Moff Gideon, especially after he's killed his own troops to get what he wants (kind of fleshes out Gideon more, too). The troopers aren't just loyal no-name sycophants who will throw themselves onto swords for their cause, they're just people like everyone else. They have their own interests, they're curious and cautious, aspects of troopers we rarely get to see. Even the blaster part, while quite funny, kind of serves a purpose in a less subtle way.

In the recent trilogy, the only trooper to get some sort of humanization was Phasma... and we saw how that character development went. I happily welcomes the grunts having some level of humanization instead of being know as Trooper #8723 who just gets gunned down because the heroes need a target to shoot. On that note, I'm rather happy how the Mandalorian doesn't treat them all as incompetent boobs, as it actually creates tension when you know your bad guys are competent enough to kill your heroes. Also helps that your heroes in the Mandalorian aren't unbeatable by a long shot... but I'm tired of comparing the show to the new trilogy, it's almost an insult to the Mandalorian to do so.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

Indeed. Luke was mentioning how the Jedi teachings were all wrong. I really felt like they were heading that way. Would had made for a much more entertaining story rather than wasting time on Canto Bight.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Review: not a bad little show, unambitious and not anything ground-breaking but solid. Lots of things to like.

Also full of lore niggles that drive me mad because I'm a huge nerd. Carbonite freezing was an industrial process Vader co-opted to trap Luke and tested on Han one time, but now apparently it's the default means of Mandalorians carrying prisoners. Jawas seem to live on every planet in the galaxy, those things are spacefaring??? I just assumed they were native to Tatooine. The "stormtroopers can't shoot" meme has apparently metastasized to actually being canon. Is Yoda's entire species strong in the Force? I thought it was because Yoda was Yoda, not frigging genetics... don't tell me, it's the midichlorians...

But that kind of thing doesn't really matter. I still think this show, like all the recent films, needs to cool it with the constant member-berries. I don't need to see a reference to a prop or alien from the film every 20 seconds, it starts to make the universe feel tiny. Have the confidence in your show to make your own stuff and stick with it.

Also it felt like all the episodes until the last two were from a 90s sci fi show where every week there'd be a new predicament disconnected from every other episode with no overall plot. Not necessarily a bad thing, just different. Kind of retro. But I think it was significantly more interesting in the last two episodes when they kicked it up several notches.

Cast is really good. Can't believe Taika Waititi has acted in a DC, Marvel and Star Wars film now lol. He's just missing Trek from full nerd bingo. Nick Nolte was fantastic, and I have a soft spot for Gina Carano. Pedro Pascal did a top notch job, for an actor a job like that is super hard because it takes away every tool an actor normally has. Can't see the face, can't even show strong emotion in the voice because he's a "man of few words" type. But you can see his character in every little movement.

Oh yeah and Giancarlo Esposito as a devious villain, that was inevitable of course. When his TIE went down I said "if he climbs out of the wreckage with half his face burned off, so help me..." LOL. Who am I kidding, I love the guy.

Overall, pretty good simple fun.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2020-01-08 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Also full of lore niggles that drive me mad because I'm a huge nerd. Carbonite freezing was an industrial process Vader co-opted to trap Luke and tested on Han one time, but now apparently it's the default means of Mandalorians carrying prisoners.
    Not Mandalorians, but bounty hunters. Quite possible it's caught on as a good method, and that the process was refined to have a lower risk of failure. Innovation happens. Or it could be that freezing people was always an option but not usually done because it could kill them easily, and that's why Vader was reluctant to do it to Luke in ESB. Mando might not care.

Jawas seem to live on every planet in the galaxy, those things are spacefaring??? I just assumed they were native to Tatooine.
    They could be spacefaring on their own, or have spread across numerous planets through other means - slavery, for example. Could be someone used them as slaves in the past and shipped them around, and that their physiology simply made them suitable for desert-like planets which is why they're often found there.

The "stormtroopers can't shoot" meme has apparently metastasized to actually being canon.
    It's a humorous nod to the meme. Those same troopers also easily killed Kuiil, and their colleagues routed an entire Covert full of Mandalorians.

Is Yoda's entire species strong in the Force? I thought it was because Yoda was Yoda, not frigging genetics... don't tell me, it's the midichlorians...
    His wouldn't be the first species to be especially strong in the force, but it could also just be we've mostly seen exceptional individuals. Not like the sample size is particularly large. For all we know they could be incredibly force INsensitive but only the very few who happen to be super strong make their mark on the galaxy and get noticed. We have nothing to make a comparison against.

Also it felt like all the episodes until the last two were from a 90s sci fi show where every week there'd be a new predicament disconnected from every other episode with no overall plot.
    You're not wrong, but that was what it was designed as - a space western, lone gunman style/a space samurai, Lone Wolf & Cub style. Let's hope they get more creative with S2.