Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    banana taped to the wall
    I actually understood that reference. hahahah!

But yeah, you're correct. Animation IS a medium. And anime is just a style of animation. A VERY broad style that covers any subject matter you can possibly think of.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Paprika is a strange movie. I've watched it twice now, and I still haven't been able to wrap my head around everything that's going on in it.
    That's the thing about dreams, it's all interpreted differently.

I actually understood that reference. hahahah!

But yeah, you're correct. Animation IS a medium. And anime is just a style of animation. A VERY broad style that covers any subject matter you can possibly think of.
    i think covering every subject matter for any cartoon is kind of a stretch, as that elevates it to the degree of literature and cinema old as time itself. The skepticism is why I'm trying to mainly find out how far cartoons can actually at least go in covering topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monster (LINK) The end.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i think covering every subject matter for any cartoon is kind of a stretch, as that elevates it to the degree of literature and cinema old as time itself. The skepticism is why I'm trying to mainly find out how far cartoons can actually at least go in covering topics.
    What subject matter do you think would be unable to be covered in animation? BTW animation has existed almost as long as cinema has. In fact, if you consider the praxinoscope or Zoetrope to be forms of animation, it has actually been around longer.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2020-01-08 at 07:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Have you seen Erased? as far as mature anime it might be something you'd be into...

The whole concept is a dude going back in time to stop a murder of a little girl...and he's basically an adult in a child's mind...its a VERY fascinating show that does keep you guessing all the way through...no gore no violence..some nostalgia thrown in every so often...and even just the mindset of a killer....
    ReLIFE has a similar concept, though without the murder and more of a comedy, and explores a whole lot, including dealing with failure.

What topics? Name one and I can almost guarantee you there's an anime about it.

And you shouldn't really think of "cartoon" as the same as anime. They have similarities, but very different implications. Anime does have cartooney shows, but it also has extremely deep and serious shows as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anime covers a whole lot more variety of topics and themes than possibly any other medium.

I think animation in itself allows MUCH more freedom in how you present things to an audience, giving writers/directors much more ability to tell intriguing stories and dealing with content/themes that live action otherwise couldn't. When dealing with live-action, you are very much constrained to the real world and limited in how you present things. Sometimes using fantasy and magical settings/devices/logic/etc. are much better than any realistic/grounded source to convey the meaning of a piece, and that's much easier to convey via animation.

A little simplistic, but think of it this way: I've yet to find a live-action movie that couldn't be converted to an animation/CGI and have a similar effect as the original content, but I constantly see failures of converting animation/CGI into live-action where the result is terrible or at the very best distracting.

*edit* - I'm kind of lumping animation and CGI together because they're becoming one in the same. Hand-drawn cells are still used, but more and more computers are being used as the tool of choice, especially with complicated things like robots. Besides, it's basically performing the same function in shows/movies: visually displaying something that is hard to find/recreate in the real world or doesn't exist.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-01-08 at 07:56 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Go watch something like Grave of the Fire Flies... that covers the reality of war.

Or Waltz with Bashir.

You shouldn't be dismissive of it simply because it's a "cartoon". They are all equally a legit source of format as any book or classic film, a medium is a medium... the message is all the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think like everything else, exploring "adult themes" is also very subjective. one of my favorite shows is called Tamayura, and it's about girls going through high school and figuring out what they want to do in life. That can translate just as easily to adults, as some of us at much older ages still don't know.

Anime can and does cover everything. You have them for every traditional genre, and you have some for slice of life, sports, music and other things. Anything you can think of, an anime show or manga has probably covered it.

As for a mature anime, try mushishi. Its about spirit like creatures that very few can see. It explores how they are, in essence, tied to nature itself and how our consequences can cause such irreversible damage to nature. So much so that it could even kill or harm us in some instances.

Hell Girl AI is another, darker anime. Its about an agent of hell who is called upon to enact revenge upon those who have hurt others. You see how your actions can impact others. One such episode is about a cop who is supposed to be helping to stop a stalker, but who is actually the stalker themselves.

Trigun is another one. The main character uses a lot of humor as a mask to hide his true emotions and feelings. The story is ultimately set on a desolate planet that is dying, and it shows how despite the cruelty he endured at the hands of humans over the countless years, he still has kindness in his heart enough to help those he can. Its about perseverance.

The last one really highlights something I think a lot of people miss, and that is how some of the most cheerful and happy people can be so torn up inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

What topics? Name one and I can almost guarantee you there's an anime about it.
    1. A dystopian story discussing free will and its complexity. Like a prosperous city where free will has been largely purged and you're always watched, but there is security and peace for most civilians. And that when terrorists or freedom fighters rise to cause anarchy and dismantle a dictatorship, *it's not always a good thing* with real consequences for innocents involved.

2. More simple: The world's literally fucking ended (like an ashen hellhole) and our protagonists are going to die from something like a plague, but they try to find meaning in their lives before the end. Think "The Road" for tone.

Being serious here.
    Last edited by YUPPIE; 2020-01-08 at 08:34 AM.

1. A dystopian story discussing free will and its complexity. Like a prosperous city where free will has been largely purged and you're always watched, but there is security and peace for most civilians. And that when terrorists or freedom fighters rise to cause anarchy and dismantle a dictatorship, *it's not always a good thing* with real consequences for innocents involved.

2. More simple: The world's literally fucking ended (like an ashen hellhole) and our protagonists are going to die from something like a plague, but they try to find meaning in their lives before the end. Think "The Road" for tone.

Being serious here.
    1) Psycho-Pass and Berserk has it as one of its themes

2) If the main character doesn't have to die, Blue Gender. An apocalypses where the planet mutates its organisms to fight back with the sole intent being to wipe out humanity comes to lite and it almost succeeds until a small few who remain can fight it off. Big emphasis on respecting the planet and how our actions are killing it.

If they all have to die, Texhnolyze - All the characters end up dead in an underground city. The species basically fails to survive.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    1) Psycho-Pass and Berserk has it as one of its themes

2) If the main character doesn't have to die, Blue Gender. An apocalypses where the planet mutates its organisms to fight back with the sole intent being to wipe out humanity comes to lite and it almost succeeds until a small few who remain can fight it off. Big emphasis on respecting the planet and how our actions are killing it.

If they all have to die, Texhnolyze - All the characters end up dead in an underground city. The species basically fails to survive.
    im super skeptical of this Berserk series often suggested. It looks like an extremely edgy male 14 year old's idea of cool. I am looking into the plausibility of the other mentions but this one makes it feel like you're being trolled and it's not even subtle about it. Not too long into investigating what Berserk is, you're quickly treated to monsters, rape, swearing, and bisection for *previews*

Like the opposite of maturity.

I think the answer you're looking for is no. Assuming you're culturally western, it's doubtful you'll associate high level of maturity with anything to come out of Japanese cartoons, including the most critically acclaimed features like Spirited Away. It can be deep, profound and explore all kinds of themes, but it's not going to be Schindler's list, or whatever pinnacle of mature themes you're looking for.

Non-feature, I don't believe any adult anime exists that doesn't rely on sex or violence. Tbh most features do too.

The last one really highlights something I think a lot of people miss, and that is how some of the most cheerful and happy people can be so torn up inside.
    Robin Williams...

im super skeptical of this Berserk series often suggested. It looks like an extremely edgy male 14 year old's idea of cool. I am looking into the plausibility of the other mentions but this one makes it feel like you're being trolled and it's not even subtle about it. Not too long into investigating what Berserk is, you're quickly treated to monsters, rape, swearing, and bisection for *previews*

Like the opposite of maturity.
    As I said, free will is one of the side themes of it. Not only that, but I wouldn't say rape isn't a mature subject. Though it would depend on the context and how it falls into the story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Non-feature, I don't believe any adult anime exists that doesn't rely on sex or violence. Tbh most features do too.
    I can't name any show that doesn't rely on violence or sex while being classified as adult, anime or not. Especially since the real world has those things and they are a part of life.

There are films like A Silent Voice which deals with affects off bullying and depression or your name which is a powerful love story.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

As I said, free will is one of the side themes of it. Not only that, but I wouldn't say rape isn't a mature subject. Though it would depend on the context and how it falls into the story.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't name any show that doesn't rely on violence or sex while being classified as adult, anime or not. Especially since the real world has those things and they are a part of life.
    True enough, virtually all adult entertainment tends to contain violence or sex of some kind, (not always but usually), however, the important word was RELY on. Take a show like sopranos, violence or sex are hardly crutches for it to stand on, they're byproducts of the narrative, In anime tv shows, violence or sex is a spectacle, often the only leg the show stands on.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    At first I read "Nature anime", and I was ready to recommend Mushishi.

Now that I see "Mature anime", I will recommend Mushishi.