Poll: Do you want Arthas back?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    'If' they bring Arthas back, then I hope Calia is the one to put him down for the crimes he committed against their people. It would be a good way for Calia to be brought in as Queen of the Forsaken of Lordaeron.
    Why? She is the person who suffered probably the least under Arthas. Hell, even the people of Stormwind probably suffered worse under Arthas than she did.

just because arthas' soul/ghost shows up in Shadowlands doesn't mean they are going to continue his story arc. him appearing, even in a cameo capacity, is just that. he just appears.

seeing him being tortured? dialogue with him that reflects on his past actions? big deal. this isn't going to be an Illidan in Legion level return

Since when characters getting ruined matters?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Well get ready its happening.

Warcraft is just Star Wars now, where every new iteration of a product is just fanservice pandering and, "zomg remember this!?"
    Long as the raid and dungeon team stays good it's at least worth playing unlike the new star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by EbonBehelit- View Post
    Except it was. Illidan got his ass kicked by Arthas, went mad, then subsequently fled to Outland (to avoid KJ's wrath) where he became the tyrant we killed in TBC.

His character arc was about power corrupting even noble intentions, and his story was done. Turning him into a heroic character in Legion ruined him.
    Wow, how dare you speak truth to the ilidan fanboys! You will be crucified for this blasphemy.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Good to finally see someone who agrees with me on Illidan. Did not like him being brought back at all, and hopefully Arthas doesn't make appearance in Shadowlands either.
    I think the main difference is that bringing Arthas back as a tortured spirit (in the Maw) wouldn't require retconning his character. His character arc would remain intact, since he'd still be suffering the consequences of his zealotry and pride.

Redeeming him would be another task entirely, though -- and while I'm certainly interested in the idea of it, I no longer have any faith in Blizzard to do such a thing in a way that makes sense.
    "Why has government been instituted at all? Because the passions of men will not conform to the dictates of reason and justice, without constraint." - Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    His story arc in complete in WOTLK. Bringing him back just sours his story and death. Illidan's story wasn't complete, Arthas was with his death. Let Shadowlands be about Bolvar don't let Arthas return in any way besides flashbacks and just one little cameo like he made in BFA
    Bringing any character back to have an actual impact instead of just some for some chat/flashbacks will be bad imo. But blizzard is probably drooling at how much they can bring back.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Long as the raid and dungeon team stays good it's at least worth playing unlike the new star wars.
    Eh raids have been pretty boring mechanics wise for a while now. The only time they're trying anymore design wise are the last two bosses of raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I want him back. Arthas' story as The Lich King is complete.

Arthas' story as a Paladin still has some meat the Blizzard hyena lore team can scrape off the bone.
    Say the what? What's left of him as a paladin? He were still young and a trainee when it came to the paladin order and since we met him we learn that he isn't in line with paladin mindset. He was a paladin because it was expected of him.

His story as a paladin was over quickly and meant as such.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

I'm fine with how the Arthas story ended. He's one of the few characters who actually had a very solid story arc from start to end, without being milked dry like they do with some of their other major characters like Illidan and Sylvanas. If they want to have a story for Arthas in Shadowlands, then I hope its about Jaina and Calia trying to reunite with him where he gets a chance for redemption. He doesn't have to be ressurected back to the world, but rather let his spirit move on to a better place. Interestingly enough we never knew what happened to his body after his fight.

Bringing characters back rarely goes well. I always liked Illidan before Legion, now they turned him into a generic good guy who gets a major power buff and battles the most powerful being there is. Talk about fan service alright. Same goes for Sylvanas who was an alright character who always had a clear goal of getting revenge on Arthas and make more forsaken, now all suddenly she is making deal with Death itself and goes trough all kind of shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Well get ready its happening.

Warcraft is just Star Wars now, where every new iteration of a product is just fanservice pandering and, "zomg remember this!?"
    Its been happening already for quite some time. WoD itself was brining back WC1+2 characters. Legion brought back Illidan and completely whitewashed him despite being a tyrannical ruler in Outland who always cared more for himself, preferring more power rather than thinking of his own people. To this day its still mostly WC3 characters that are in the spotlight while WoW doesn't so a good job introducing new characters to care for.

Quote Originally Posted by natpick View Post
    i agree but cant help but think blizz are using shadowlands to bring back even more beloved dead characters as fan service,everyone gets to see there fave dead character one last time.
    Resurfacing of "Where is Mankrik's (Spirit) Wife?!" In Shadowlands...

I don't get why people want characters to be nothing more than vessels for specific stories. Like there is nothing more to their lives and ambitions than serving this one thing, then die off. As far as Arthas goes, his affiliation with Scourge-related stories are done, but otherwise he's still a notable character. Think of him like a former career politician; used to be a big player in the power game, now retired but still existing and maybe taking part into smaller activities such as organisations or endorsing a new candidate. They don't stop existing or being relevant in some way just because they no longer hold the office of power that was once their defining trait.

For Arthas specifically I'd argue there is value to look into the 'prince of Lordaeron' side of his character, as the final cinematic of ICC suggested there was still some of it left when he died, but we didn't get a good look at it. Also, Sylvanas's short story suggested Arthas was condemned to a sort of Hell (presumably the Maw). With a more detailed look into Shadowlands and how mortal souls are sorted there, especially with Revendreth as a sort of Purgatory and Kael being condemned there rather than the Maw, I think we definitely need a look into Arthas's current form of existence. He doesn't need redemption or anything, just a look into where he ended up to and if it can be judged as the right thing for him. That can be the extent of it, though I don't mind if he's a bit active otherwise as well, like taking part in the general campaign as a soft addition.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    'If' they bring Arthas back, then I hope Calia is the one to put him down for the crimes he committed against their people. It would be a good way for Calia to be brought in as Queen of the Forsaken of Lordaeron.
    hell no. calia is the rey of warcraft
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    Closure is not an option in the current culture.

When we stop buying things because it has the guy we already know on it's cover, we can start getting stories that end again.
    So prepare for the shocking revelation that Arthas is actually Illidans half brother and has been playing all of us all along!!1.
    Stories can have endings without the characters suddenly vanishing. Arthas' original story is over. They could still tell another about him.

But given that he's rather stuck in the Maw, i don't see him doing much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get it, arthas is already there, I see him every time I go into northrend and it's cool

Lich King Arthas is done, but human Arthas still has a lot to do. In his last moments we saw fear and regret, both could make for a good motivation for him to want to redeem himself by helping us. It would make complete sense, as a paladin he would despise what he became and even if he got free from the torment he's not doubt receiving in shadowlands as punishment, he wouldn't accept just resting. He'd want to redeem himself, so seeing Arthas would make perfect sense honestly. Seeing Lich King Arthas would be an issue though.

the fact that people care so much about lore is one reason the devs dont have enough time to create good class gameplay and systems

I think they could call back to him in interesting ways but any further true character development? No please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Arthas: "No one knew what I was really trying to do! I only raised an army of the dead to fight back the void! Come with me now and help me defeat our common enemy!"

Kappa
    They're going to build upon that, imo bullshit, thing they threw out way after Arthas was dead which was to say, "Arthas was holding back the true power of the Scourge" or some bullshit. They'll cross out the lore in crayon and say, "He was trying to hold back the Shadowlands from invading Azeroth!" or some bullshit and try to pretend he was doing something for the greater good.

Get ready for it everyone.

That whole throwaway line they mentioned during that lore Q&A where they said nobody knew why, but Arthas was holding back the true might of the Scourge will be used to have some Illidaneseque levels of retarded retconning.

Because nobody can come up with new ideas anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The titles of Warchief, Leader of the Forsaken and Lich King are currently vacant. Arthas could be used for any of them. (I won't go over spoilers here)
    Arthas being the new Warchief would be the cherry on the top of the shit sundae that makes up Blizzards writing.