Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Like... I get that not everyone is going to be into Housing. But then, not everyone is into Raiding, or PvP. Housing has proven a pretty strong pillar of any MMORPG that still exists, so I have to wonder; why are they so hellbent on avoiding it?
    Blizz gave people Housing back in WoD.. and people were PISSED

Blizz tries to give us stuff all the time and people are never happy so.. That's 100% the reason we don't have player housing or at least GUILD housing

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post

Blizz tries to give us stuff all the time and people are never happy so.. That's 100% the reason we don't have player housing or at least GUILD housing
    Because honestly? They fucked up so hard with garrisons you can't even imagine.

Housing is suppose to be simple and not give players real advantage. Customizability is the selling point where garrison did not have any.

Quote Originally Posted by spalernTJ View Post
    What I find baffling, is Blizzard thinking their attempt at Housing with Garrisons was their best shot.
    It might well be, remember how old the game is and how long it took for them to be able to expand the original bag by adding 4 extra slots, for years adding slots to the original bag basically broke the game. It might simply be that there's something we can't see in game that adding play housing just breaks. More modern games are built with housing and creation in mind so there's more flexibility.

Garrisons are not housing don't get me wrong with the above part, but warcraft is a very old build with housing not in mind when first made.

I've moved on from WoW a few years ago, one of the lesser reasons was me giving up faith in WoW Player Housing, not just because Blizzard fucking suck ass at such a concept (See Garrisons)- but because Player Housing has since evolved into amazing gameplay beyond people still thinking it's some ken/barbie shit from like ultima online days... thanks to other games like Fallout 4, No Man's Sky, ect...

There's no way Blizzard can touch what Player Housing can offer, because other games have already beaten them to the punch and gave the world what they've been asking for and have grown the concept beyond the days of regular MMO Player Housing of olden-days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    What's so obvious is even YOU know that what WoD offered wasn't a proper player housing system, but you clearly like shouting that because you personally don't like the idea and it has become a talking point for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by outflow View Post
    Just play the Sims if you want to build a house. Problem solved
    That would've been a great argument about 10+ years ago...

3+ Year Old Account
    Like... I get that not everyone is going to be into Housing. But then, not everyone is into Raiding, or PvP. Housing has proven a pretty strong pillar of any MMORPG that still exists, so I have to wonder; why are they so hellbent on avoiding it?
    Like many other feature in WoW, it was half assed. They tried to appeal to everyone and it was a mistake. Housing features are made for people who enjoy that kind of stuff, Blizzard tried to appeal to the people who only want practical stuff by putting in profession buildings and it made Garrisons a cancer in WoD, destroyed the economy of the game forever. All they had to do was put buildings and furniture that do nothing and the housing fans would have what they want, the others could ignore it like they ignore battle pets, everyone would be happy.

It's just another thing in the very long list of things Blizzard made without thinking about their target audience. Pet battles are the only thing they made correctly because it's 100% ignorable by people who have no interest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    No, nothing like garrisons.

Curious, when you think of a house, you are picturing something similar to WoW garrisons? I can see if you are very wealthy, maybe you would equate a garrison to an estate, but maybe you just have a gigantic house? /shrug
    Many of the amenities of a garrison just in a smaller space doesn't mean it isn't essentially garrison 2.0.

You pretty much described all things available in a garrison, the only real difference is you're saying to put it in a smaller space and calling it player housing. It's still going to have several rooms and several professions right in the house. You even then go on to say they'll essentially do the same exact thing as garrisons where you can upgrade both the house and the rooms, again something we did in the garrisons.

The only real difference is you want to also be able to decorate the respective rooms that were essentially pre-generated in the garrisons. There just isn't enough game play there to put the time and resources into designing, implementing, and continuing to add to it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriani View Post
    The purpose of housing is to give players a creative outlet that's completely divorced from gameplay advancement and resource acquisition. It's meant to be a time waster that's fun for those who like to engage with it and nothing more. This is one of the main why Garrisons fail in regards to player housing. Garrisons were tied to player advancement and resource acquisition. They also had very little in the way of customization beyond selecting what and where you put your buildings and which racial soldiers appear to guard the place. Real player housing has robust customization that, again, serves as a big time waster.

Now why would a time wasting system be good in WoW? Well from the devs perspective it keeps people playing without them actually consuming content. It's also an efficient use of resources because new objects are constantly being made for new patch content and new expansions. Being able to double dip on that work, to use some of those assets as housing objects, allows the devs to get more bang for their dev resource bucks. Another perk is that it provides a way to expand professions into another area, allowing them to create items necessary for housing and can be linked to clearing actual content to chase certain prestigious housing items (like say a pvp trophy you could put on your shelf for example).

As to building out in the world... I've always felt that this was a bad design decision. As big as a game world environment might be, it is still a finite space and with enough time and players, the landscape becomes littered with housing sprawl and can become very unsightly. Instanced housing is the ideal, in my opinion, as it avoids ruining the outer world appearance, and avoids hitting any limits of space. Players in FFXIV currently have issues getting non-instanced housing because of the limited space available. This is why Apartments (instanced housing) were introduced.

Giving players something to do, that's fun, that doesn't actually require "content" to be made or constantly added to, and doesn't impact player power so it's never "required", is a great boon for any MMO. It's like chasing transmog. Not everyone cares about it, but enough do that it's a great time waster and doesn't actually require devs to make a concerted effort beyond making the system to manage it (which they did with the collections tab).

If WoW added player housing it would be a robust system right out of the gate due to the 15 years of art assets that already exist in the game and thus players would have a massive selection of things to use for their homes. We even have a lot of unique architecture so Blizzard could allow us to choose the specific building type we want. This was a point of contention in WoD as many players were upset that they were either stuck with orc huts or human fortifications, with no option for more race specific styles.
    Even the witcher has housing tbh. And it's a Action RP game. An MMORPG like wow i don't see blizzard doing this properly. So i'm afraid it will affect the gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Kyphael gave me the idea, of at least make housing in cities like Silvermoon, that are not so much visited anymore.
    On RP servers silvermoon is still visited but on normal servers they are not, and have no reason to go there.
    Maybe if housing existed in Silvermoon, or the races cities, it would fill the cities.

All this making it not related to gameplay, but housing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's a waste they have such amazing architectures on Gilneas and Silvermoon and it's not visited anytime.

Even undercity itself:

Last edited by Shakana; 2020-01-08 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    Even the witcher has housing tbh. And it's a Action RP game. An MMORPG like wow i don't see blizzard doing this properly. So i'm afraid it will affect the gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Kyphael gave me the idea, of at least make housing in cities like Silvermoon, that are not so much visited anymore.
    On RP servers silvermoon is still visited but on normal servers they are not, and have no reason to go there.
    Maybe if housing existed in Silvermoon, or the races cities, it would fill the cities.

All this making it not related to gameplay, but housing.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it's a waste they have such amazing architectures on Gilneas and Silvermoon and it's not visited anytime.

Even undercity itself:

Thanks for the credit! I'd kill for player housing in Quel'telas and Gilneas.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It might well be, remember how old the game is and how long it took for them to be able to expand the original bag by adding 4 extra slots, for years adding slots to the original bag basically broke the game. It might simply be that there's something we can't see in game that adding play housing just breaks. More modern games are built with housing and creation in mind so there's more flexibility.

Garrisons are not housing don't get me wrong with the above part, but warcraft is a very old build with housing not in mind when first made.
    No I don't think this is the case really. Remember, they wanted to make player housing back in vanilla. That's why there was an instanced portal in Stormwind at the end of the canal I think between trade and old district. Which means they had that in mind when they were making the basics. So I don't think anything would break if they did actual player housing at all, they just don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Many of the amenities of a garrison just in a smaller space doesn't mean it isn't essentially garrison 2.0.

You pretty much described all things available in a garrison, the only real difference is you're saying to put it in a smaller space and calling it player housing. It's still going to have several rooms and several professions right in the house. You even then go on to say they'll essentially do the same exact thing as garrisons where you can upgrade both the house and the rooms, again something we did in the garrisons.

The only real difference is you want to also be able to decorate the respective rooms that were essentially pre-generated in the garrisons. There just isn't enough game play there to put the time and resources into designing, implementing, and continuing to add to it forever.
    I specifically said there was no impact to game play. There are crafting rooms, but you don't learn recipes there, unless maybe you can unlock some cosmetic crafts. You don't gain any professions mats. It's just a room that looks like someone who crafts stuff might put their crafting stuff in.

There's no bank. There's no auction house. There's no quests. There's no soldiers walking around all over the place. There's no mission table. There's no mats to farm. There's no scrap yard. There's no barracks or bodyguards. There's no followers. There's no base. There's no town hall. There's no 'house resources'.

It's just a house with rooms that you can decorate with maybe a few fun things to do that don't impact game play or anything outside the house.

That's nothing like garrisons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Black Goat View Post
    Housing could not interest me less.
    That means you have the least amount of interest possible for housing.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    They have this thing where every expansion they release a new feature that is central to the expansion and then they just drop it next time around no matter how good or bad it was. For a company that used to be known to iterate on things sometimes to a fault I can't stand to see them just leave so many systems behind. Had they actually worked and retooled the Garrison system into ACTUAL housing and no whatever the fuck that was I think we would actually have decent to good housing right now.
    Please name just a single GOOD core feature that only existed for one expansion..
    The only core features that only lived one expansions I can think of are:
    - Garrison
    - Artifact Weapon
    - Heart of Azeroth

All of which was/is BAAAAAD!!!
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Wrong game, play SIMS if you want housing.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Please name just a single GOOD core feature that only existed for one expansion..
    The only core features that only lived one expansions I can think of are:
    - Garrison
    - Artifact Weapon
    - Heart of Azeroth

All of which was/is BAAAAAD!!!
    I liked artifacts and I like azerite armour.

Quote Originally Posted by WiNiFiX View Post
    Agree with the sentiment, for an mmo, what good would housing brings?

would it give better pvp? pve?classes? massive fights? What is a player for (real question)? Garrisons were the closest I think of a player house, it was CRAP, killed an xpac with people staying in, not doing shit.

I see the subject being brought again and again, no one has ever made a statement explaining why this would in any way be good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post

would it give better pvp? pve?classes? massive fights? What is a player for (real question)? Garrisons were the closest I think of a player house, it was CRAP, killed an xpac with people staying in, not doing shit.

I see the subject being brought again and again, no one has ever made a statement explaining why this would in any way be good for the game.
    Meh, it's just another type of collectible. Does transmog improve any of the things that you mentioned? Or mounts? Or pets? Or toys? Or achievements?

Having a personal place to display some trophies and collect some furniture or whatever wouldn't be any different than having them in the UI, but I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be in the game. It takes a tiny amount of development time, and provides another evergreen "activity" to keep players entertained, and it's perfectly optional, just like every other collectible.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post

Before I begin, I want to make it clear I do not in any way care for player housing. However, it could be beneficial in a finance perspective. It would be false to say people don’t care about it. The comments in this thread and the amount of times these types of threads appear shows that some do care.

I’m and old school PVE’er. The game to me is raiding at the highest difficulty, that sort of thing. We know that there are many many collector players. There are 15 years’ worth of assists in this game, for those that wish to build a home it could be everlasting, thus keeping collector players subbed playing sims but in wow generating more income for WOW.

Although, to originally make the system something in a PVE/PVP environment would probably have to be sacrificed to give the Dev’s more time to build it, which would also cause more unsubs due to lack of content.

IF nothing was sacrificed, if blizz hired a new team to just do Player Housing and if there were no requirements for me as a PVE player to do it to get something I needed to progress I wouldn’t care if it was in the game. Knock yourselves out.

Because there's already quite a lot of things you can do in WoW. So if you want to do some housing, just go on the Sims. They have trouble balancing the main features, let's just stop pushing for useless features ok ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I liked artifacts and I like azerite armour.
    So YOU were the guy who liked artifacts... I heard that there was one, somewhere in the world...

Azerite Armor isn't a core feature, as it doesn't make or break the game (but it's still site, and I can't wait for normal tier sets return).
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    That means you have the least amount of interest possible for housing.
    Exactly. It doesn't interest me, and I'd rather see those resources implemented elsewhere within the game.

Quote Originally Posted by WiNiFiX View Post
    THANK YOU! THese threads need to stop and content should be focued on out in the word, not playing house.