Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I believe even you can detect that this is a "Cancel Ricky Gervais" attempt by a Right-wing nutter, and that the OP doesn't believe in anything he's actually posting...

The problem is they're so dense to think that "lefties" are just one mass group who are easily outraged by anything. They're wrong. That's why they will always lose.
    This isn't a cancel ricky attempt. It's an attempt to mock the people on the left that support celebrities and cancel culture. The op isn't mocking everyone on the left. Just the people that support these celebrities to a cultish degree.

You say "they're" as if there's more than one person with this stance in this thread. It's just the OP that's doing this(in this thread). It's not a collection of people on the right or all of the people on the right. Many of the people on the right are in agreement with Ricky. For two reasons. One is that they believe(and agree) with what Ricky said, and two they like seeing rich leftist assholes get knocked down a peg or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    This isn't a cancel ricky attempt.
    Yes, it is. And you damn well know it is. This isn't the OP "mocking the left", but it IS an attempt by the right to go after Ricky via hoping to manipulate "The left" into hating him and getting people to twit badly about him. And it's failing, big time. He's been a thorn in "Alt-Right"s side for a long time, especially with evangelicals who hate his outspoken criticism of religion.

Again, you damn well know this.

Need any more proof? Look at the OPs posting history and threads... it's all been Anti-Left bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Yes, it is. And you damn well know it is. This isn't the OP "mocking the left", but it IS an attempt by the right to go after Ricky via hoping to manipulate "The left" into hating him and getting people to twit badly about him. And it's failing, big time. He's been a thorn in "Alt-Right"s side for a long time, especially with evangelicals who hate his outspoken criticism of religion.

Again, you damn well know this.

Need any more proof? Look at the OPs posting history and threads... it's all been Anti-Left bullshit.
    The right are largely in support of Ricky here. Can't you see how the OP is using the radical leftist position against Ricky to show how fucked that position actually is? You can see that the OP is clearly on the right, yet you can't put two and two together. Why would the OP be using a tactic that's commonly used by the left nowadays? Do you think the OP likes the celebrities that Ricky is mocking? Why is the OP defending leftist celebrities? It's so blatantly clear that the OP is mocking radical leftists and cancel culture.

Do you really think the right are against him on this? Get out of that Bubble. Fox News is even in support of Ricky here... I don't know what right wingers you're listening to, but you're not correct on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

Why would the OP be using a tactic that's commonly used by the left nowadays?
    Because it's not commonly used by "the left", its a BS stereotype purported only by Alt-Righters onto their ficitonal idea of what "a leftie" is. Which is why this tactic the OP is using is not working or sticking because its based on a false premise.

10+ Year Old Account
    The right are largely in support of Ricky here. Can't you see how the OP is using the radical leftist position against Ricky to show how fucked that position actually is? You can see that the OP is clearly on the right, yet you can't put two and two together. Why would the OP be using a tactic that's commonly used by the left nowadays? Do you think the OP likes the celebrities that Ricky is mocking? Why is the OP defending leftist celebrities? It's so blatantly clear that the OP is mocking radical leftists and cancel culture.

Do you really think the right are against him on this? Get out of that Bubble. Fox News is even in support of Ricky here... I don't know what right wingers you're listening to, but you're not correct on this issue.
    There is no such position to be used against him in that way. It's a baseless conspiracy theory.

Cancel culture does not exist. It's a figment of some fringe right-wingers' imagination.

Literally all that is happening is;
    A> Some people are expressing their opinions freely, and
    B> Some people sometimes face a basic level of consequences for having said or done bad things.

That's literally it.

There's nothing here to "mock", except your own made-up nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    And my boy Ricky came out in support of Count Dankula.
    He's not left or right. He's a fucking realist. Call bullshit where you see. Its 2020 now. The world is growing sick and fucking tired of being divided into groups and you get put there by someone who's not in your group. A fucking Western phenomenon anyway, come here to Africa and ask the locals if they're left or right wing and they'll tell you to give food or fuck off. You lot have created your own thought-prisons.
    “The best way to win an argument is to begin by being right.” -Jill Ruckelshaus

It's funny how he starts out by pointing out that it's all jokes, and then everyone acts as if he's Hitler making a speech. British comedy doesnt sit very well with Americans I guess.

I love how right wing morons seem to think the left loves Hollywood, a massive crooked corporate entity with a long sordid history.

Ironically, when big rich companies pretend to be progressive, the only people in the room dumb enough to believe them are conservatives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    It's funny how he starts out by pointing out that it's all jokes, and then everyone acts as if he's Hitler making a speech. British comedy doesnt sit very well with Americans I guess.
    It's amazing watching how they react to Ricky Gervais, a pretty mediocre English comic*, as if he's some kind of trailblazing comic brinksman. Imagine if they saw Frankie Boyle lol.

*(Not that I dislike him or anything, he's a so-so stand up in my opinion but his satire in the Office was great. And parts of Extras.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steristumpie View Post
    And my boy Ricky came out in support of Count Dankula.
    He's not left or right. He's a fucking realist. Call bullshit where you see.
    He's kind of a dummy to be honest, I don't just mean his political opinions. Which I'd say are roughly "aging, increasingly out of touch left winger".

I wouldn't have thought criticising a vain party thrown by a bunch of incredibly rich people for themselves would be revolutionary anywhere, but apparently it is in the US. Shrug.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Being a hypocrite seems to be a far wing position as of late. Also, right wingers get off on celebrities getting "put in their place" for having no idea what real life is like, until Kid Rock or Ted Nugent endorses 2A.

Edit: I don't actually think he is right wing, but his speech feeds right wingers in their contempt for anyone they deem liberal, in this case Hollywood.
    Honestly I think it just reveals the bizarre prism the right sees reality through. I guess they literally never talk to anyone on the left, since they live their lives in backwards small towns and don't get out much, geographically or intellectually. So they piece together from the propaganda they're fed in ideological echo chambers that "the left" consists of billionaire Hollywood actors and mega corporations that feign progressivism for the sake of PR.

I guess how would they know otherwise? They probably never have an actual conversation with anyone on the left, their insular communities protect them from outside views because otherwise a lot of those views would collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Gervais is NOT right wing.

He likes to say and do things that are politically incorrect, but he's a humanist, very dedicated to science, animal welfare and despises religion. He just get's bored, and he likes to edgy. He doesn't like pretentious people making "holier than thou"-speeches, and make jokes about people using their "tiny achievement" of winning a prize in entertainment as a platform. That's his job also, they don't invite him back for him to be polite.
    Why the Greta Thunberg? She's topical, taking a dig at her causes controversy (as is evident), but most of all, she took a long break from school to go on her campaign, which makes the joke work. But I knew the moment he made that joke, that it would be used to falsely push Gervais into the climate-denier/misogynist camp. Hopefully, most people will see the joke in contest, because I can already see the headlines "Even genious Ricky Gervais mocks Greta Thunberg, implies she should go back to school!"
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Gervais is NOT right wing.

He likes to say and do things that are politically incorrect, but he's a humanist, very dedicated to science, animal welfare and despises religion. He just get's bored, and he likes to edgy. He doesn't like pretentious people making "holier than thou"-speeches, and make jokes about people using their "tiny achievement" of winning a prize in entertainment as a platform.
    Kinda falls flat when you take into account Gervais and the other grifters are themselves massively well-off and would gladly leap at the chance for a seat at the table of the people they are mocking.

There's a difference between edgy humour and being a twat - Gervais does the latter by punching down at trans people, among others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I mostly like Ricky Gervais, but like a lot of aging rich men who don't do a lot of rigorous objective self-reflection he's probably going to slowly slide down the scale of "old man yells at cloud" until he gets to about a Jeremy Clarkson level or so in the coming decades.

But far right wing? LOL no. The US political environment is so divorced from reality it's reading his banal comedy roast as some kind of political statement. This kind of comedy is par for the course in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Why the Greta Thunberg? She's topical, taking a dig at her causes controversy (as is evident), but most of all, she took a long break from school to go on her campaign, which makes the joke work.
    To be honest it was just lazy topical humour, wasn't even one of the lines I particularly remember. His joke about Leo's date aging out of his zone was clearly his best material of the night lol.

Never stops amusing me that these triggered conservatives that can't stop squealing about Greta think telling her to go to school is some kind of hot take, when it was literally the first line of her speech. Guess they didn't listen to any of it, and just threw a hissy fit over the headline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Kinda falls flat when you take into account Gervais and the other grifters are themselves massively well-off and would gladly leap at the chance for a seat at the table of the people they are mocking.

There's a difference between edgy humour and being a twat - Gervais does the latter by punching down at trans people, among others.
    Sure, but part of his character is also being hypocritical. On his radio show, back in the days, he and steve merchant would make angry speeches where this was evident, a sort of self-mockery and sarcasm against people doing the same, and if he really hated Hollywood, he wouldn't be involved in movies, but he is.
    As to to trans people, it's just edgy humor. Perhaps that makes him a twat nonetheless, but he doesn't actually have an issue with trans people at least:

"I don’t try to offend, but the more people are offended by a joke, particularly on twitter, the funnier I find it. And the angrier the tweet, the more chance of me using it and turning it to laughs and cash. PC culture isn’t killing comedy. It’s driving it. As it always did"
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, but part of his character is also being hypocritical. On his radio show, back in the days, he and steve merchant would make angry speeches where this was evident, a sort of self-mockery and sarcasm against people doing the same, and if he really hated Hollywood, he wouldn't be involved in movies, but he is.
    Ah yes, the "it's a character" excuse.

So does his "character" include namesearching himself and harassing small time social media users for talking shit about him?

As to to trans people, it's just edgy humor.
    "Just".

I regret to inform the forum that the straights are at it again.

Perhaps that makes him a twat nonetheless, but he doesn't actually have an issue with trans people at least:

"I don’t try to offend, but the more people are offended by a joke, particularly on twitter, the funnier I find it. And the angrier the tweet, the more chance of me using it and turning it to laughs and cash. PC culture isn’t killing comedy. It’s driving it. As it always did"
    The word for this is "troll", not comedian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

To be honest it was just lazy topical humour, wasn't even one of the lines I particularly remember. His joke about Leo's date aging out of his zone was clearly his best material of the night lol.
    I agree. Part from that, I don't really think he was at his best that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Never stops amusing me that these triggered conservatives that can't stop squealing about Greta think telling her to go to school is some kind of hot take, when it was literally the first line of her speech. Guess they didn't listen to any of it, and just threw a hissy fit over the headline.
    They grasp at everything they can, even out of context to get something they need. Remember when Obama in speech said "you didn't build that" as a partial sentence, in the middle of explaining that every business, every person relies on public services, infrastructure, property etc.? Oh god, that stirred up some shit in the tea party movement, where people actually thought that Obama was trying to strip people of their achievements.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, the "it's a character" excuse.

So does his "character" include namesearching himself and harassing small time social media users for talking shit about him?
    Maybe, I have no idea about what that's about. He doesn't take criticism from strangers that well? Sounds immature, but that doesn't make him right wing, or a trans hater.

"Just".

I regret to inform the forum that the straights are at it again.
    Yes, "just", instead of being an anti-trans spokesperson with huge influence, which you imply it is.

The word for this is "troll", not comedian.
    Well, he has produced a ton successful comedy, so I don't see how you can defend that claim. He's not a Ben Sharpio or something like that.
    Mother pus bucket!

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Yes, "just", instead of being an anti-trans spokesperson with huge influence, which you imply it is.
    He certainly is perpetuating that the one joke conservatives have about trans people isn’t years and years old and stale as fuck, which is just a crime against comedy.

Seriously, days without cis nonsense: 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    Being a hypocrite seems to be a far wing position as of late. Also, right wingers get off on celebrities getting "put in their place" for having no idea what real life is like, until Kid Rock or Ted Nugent endorses 2A.

Edit: I don't actually think he is right wing, but his speech feeds right wingers in their contempt for anyone they deem liberal, in this case Hollywood.
    Depends how you view it. Personaly it tickled my lefty pickle to see rich people at a fancy doo getting put down in there place for turning a blind eye to the sexual harrasment and pedophilia in the industry.

He criss crossed the political spectrums talking points and found a decent amount of grievances from both sides to make this an entertaining out down for people on both sides of the spectrum.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    He certainly is perpetuating that the one joke conservatives have about trans people isn’t years and years old and stale as fuck, which is just a crime against comedy.

Seriously, days without cis nonsense: 0.
    And what joke would that be? Conservatives think that trans women (they don't care about the other way) are perverted men that prey on the forced political correctness that "plagues" society, giving them access to the women's locker rooms (because they really just want to see some naked ladies), or women sports, where they can dominate real ladies without the effort of having to compete with men. Trans people aren't a joke to them. They are a threat. They also fear accidentally fucking a man, and they don't respect that a man's body can contain the mind of a woman. If you think Gervais belongs in this group of ancient dinosaur assholes, you're just wrong.
    Mother pus bucket!

This thread really shows how much the authoritarian left wingers hate it when right ringers like their jokes.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

And what joke would that be? Conservatives think that trans women (they don't care about the other way) are perverted men that prey on the forced political correctness that "plagues" society, giving them access to the women's locker rooms (because they really just want to see some naked ladies), or women sports, where they can dominate real ladies without the effort of having to compete with men. Trans people aren't a joke to them. They are a threat. They also fear accidentally fucking a man, and they don't respect that a man's body can contain the mind of a woman. If you think Gervais belongs in this group of ancient dinosaur assholes, you're just wrong.
    "I identify as an attackhelicopter....". Which is a core piece of his "special", and is probably directly from 4chan, one of the oldest jokes, to mock trans people on the internet. since according to those telling it, a person claiming to be an helicopter, has as much crediblity, a a man "claiming" he is a woman. None. And therefor does not need to be respected. Does not need to be treated with dignity, and deserve to be ridiculed, instead.
    They fear trans people, and they combat them with humililation, so that even those, not humulilating them, don't show compassion towards them anyway. The goal of the joke is, to deny a place in society.
    Last edited by josykay; 2020-01-08 at 06:43 PM.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    "I identify as an attackhelicopter...."
    This, and all they do to freshen it is change the comparison.

Some day conservatives will have a new joke about us and mediocre comedians can repeat it for years too!