Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Guys, don't forget to toss a coin to your Witcher

If i have to hear another of those people riding that train to attention and some quick money I will be in the news the next day. I really hate that annoying shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    you were talking specifically about how she is not pretty enough - and its YOUR personal preference. golden ratio is objective. you saying that it doesn't matter? is not.

i will not disagree with portrayal issues which I think in part at least are due to show runners having no idea where to take her character (game interpretation is just that - game interpretation, she doesn't have much character development in books to work with). i just don't think they have much to do with her looks. and yes I think she is beautiful in that shot you posted.
    You'd think people'd be okay with them casting the girl that was selected to play the hot chick at Hogwarts, but noooooo.
    Last edited by Polyxo; 2020-01-08 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    You'd think people'd be okay with them casting the girl that was selected to play the hot chick at Hogwarts, but noooooo.
    pftt... also pretty sure natural freckles is part of WHY they cast her. cause last I checked canonically Triss is supposed to have them. finding freckles unattractive is a personal opinion, NOT fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm totally into the actress simply because of the freckles. Appearance wise she is Triss enough for me. While I do wish they'd change the hair a bit, I'm fine with it. I actually find her more attractive than the actress playing Yennifer. Weird, right? People have different preferences!

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I understand that the success of this show hinges on whether a character has reddish brown rather than brown hair
    It's astonishing really. I watched the season pretty late, so I assumed Triss would have a massive role since everywhere I went I found outraged snowflakes bitching and crying about her hair. It's on me that I was actually surprised when I watched the show and she had a total screen time of like 20min across all 8+ hours. The amount of hyperbole and perpetual outrage the anti-SJW crowd is able to muster truly rivals their arch nemesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I don't really have a horse in this race but I tried Reading GOT a couple of times and didn't make it more than 50 pages into the first book, the writing is very tiresome to read. I haven't tried reading the Witcher books though so I don't know how that compares.
    I actually thought the writing in ASoIAF was really good, but it got significantly worse in the most recent two. Still waiting to see if he can improve in Winds of Winter whenever the fuck that comes out lol.

I had other problems with the series, I think Martin's a good writer but I don't know if I will overall like the thing until he finishes it. Because there's an awful lot of horrible shit to read and until it's finished I don't know if the destination will be worth the journey. So I'm basically stuck in limbo forever, not knowing if I like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I enjoyed it very much. The only negative parts is that for someone who hasn't read the books or played the game, I found the first few episodes a little frustrating with the timeline jumps and no indication about what's going on and when. The other one is .. too few episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Who was she at hogwarts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Who was she at hogwarts?
    I believe she played Angelina, the Gryffindor Chaser who was a couple years ahead of Harry et al. I think Fred or George asked her to the Yuletide ball in Goblet of Fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Who was she at hogwarts?
    She played Romilda Vane, the one who tried to give the love chocolates to Harry but Ron ate them instead. She doesn't get a ton of screen time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I believe she played Angelina, the Gryffindor Chaser who was a couple years ahead of Harry et al. I think Fred or George asked her to the Yuletide ball in Goblet of Fire.
    Negatory 10c
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    She played Romilda Vane, the one who tried to give the love chocolates to Harry but Ron ate them instead. She doesn't get a ton of screen time.

- - - Updated - - -

Negatory 10c
    I was basing it on "the hottest girl in the school" part. Romilda Vane was just a Harry fangirl who tried to give him a love potion so he'd notice her. Nowhere near one of the "it girls."

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    - The law of surprise(stupid even in the books) was just randomly thrown in there without bothering to explain wth it is.
    I'm just gonna say that the law of surprise appears in several Slavic (and not only Slavic) stories/myths, and such stories often have a grain of truth in them. It might have been an actual custom. I'm not really sure if it has to be explained, "you will give me what you have but don't know about it yet" is pretty self-explanatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    I'm just gonna say that the law of surprise appears in several Slavic (and not only Slavic) stories/myths, and such stories often have a grain of truth in them. It might have been an actual custom. I'm not really sure if it has to be explained, "you will give me what you have but don't know about it yet" is pretty self-explanatory.
    It's a trope, not a custom. There's many of them, and the "grain of truth" is a metaphor or aphorism not an actual practice. I.e. in this case "you have more blessings than you realize" and "you only realize what you have when you have to give it away" and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    As a fan of the books, after watching 6 episodes i struggle to watch last two.

I didnt imagine somebody can fuck it like they fucked up polish witcher series but lo and behold, they actually manage it.

Wasn't the polish series a huge hit with fans and layman alike, despite the awful "CGI"?

Maybe you're just not "getting it"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I was basing it on "the hottest girl in the school" part. Romilda Vane was just a Harry fangirl who tried to give him a love potion so he'd notice her. Nowhere near one of the "it girls."
    I'm not sure how that's relevant to the discussion of who Anna Shaffer portrayed in the Harry Potter films.

Also, for the record, Romilda Vane was one of the popular Gryffindor girls. She literally goes into Harry's train compartment to tell him that he can come sit with her and her posse of cool kids instead of sitting with the losers like Neville and Luna. She also crashes the Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts with her gang of popular girls in an effort to make Harry spend time with them more than with his unpopular friends.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2020-01-08 at 06:55 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Wasn't the polish series a huge hit with fans and layman alike, despite the awful "CGI"?

Maybe you're just not "getting it"?
    It wasn't a hit because it was so good, though I'm gonna risk saying it's much better than the Netflix version. It was probably the first big TV show made in post-communist Poland and had a huge marketing machine behind it, at least in that time it was huge. Many people watched it because there was no real alternative, and most did enjoy it. It definitely popularized the books a lot.

Now, the Polish version had a lot of flaws, like made-up female witchers, witchers using katanas and some skirt armor, and the terrible "CGI" (rubber dragon from it is actually a well-known meme in Poland). Some of the actors, mostly background ones, aren't doing a good job, and some dialogues and scenes are really cringe-worthy. The over-arching story is changed a lot from the books, but it was planned for just one season and it ended at exactly the same point as the Netflix version, but it is a nice closure there as opposed to just a cliff-hanger in the Netflix version. Netflix had the luxury of following the main story closer, since they intend to serialize the whole saga, and they still managed to make a complete fuckery of it while they were at it.

But the Polish version also does a lot of things right. The music is amazing, the main cast does a good job, and most importantly, it respects the source material when it actually follows it. Many of the episodes are based on the short stories, and at times it's really just like the creators treated the short stories like screenplays, they are almost pure adaptations, with dialogues and the story left almost untouched. If you're really interested in knowing what I mean, try reading "The Bounds of Reason" (the story about the dragon) and then watch the Polish version and the Netflix one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Not self explanatory at all. "I invoke the law of surprise. Your child is now mine and i'll be back for it in a few years. K, bye!". It is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I'm not sure how that's relevant to the discussion of who Anna Shaffer portrayed in the Harry Potter films.

Also, for the record, Romilda Vane was one of the popular Gryffindor girls. She literally goes into Harry's train compartment to tell him that he can come sit with her and her posse of cool kids instead of sitting with the losers like Neville and Luna. She also crashes the Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts with her gang of popular girls in an effort to make Harry spend time with them more than with his unpopular friends.
    Yeah. She's basically Rachel McAdams in Mean Girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Not self explanatory at all. "I invoke the law of surprise. Your child is now mine and i'll be back for it in a few years. K, bye!". It is nonsensical.
    It was more he invokes the law of surprise. Then it turns out Duny's wife is pregnant which Duny did not know about, hence the surprise. That means the child belongs to Geralt by law of surprise. It's said in the show its a gamble. It could be a crop or some garment. It could be a child.