Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Cancel culture is indeed a thing. That said the main people that do most of the contribution to it. Are on twitter. Twitter makes these people seem like a huge majority. But it's also fickle as fuck and will turn on you In a heartbeat. Something JK Rowling found out about. Lucky Twitter does buy anything.
    So who has been cancelled?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    And yet, do we have any evidence of intent to harm? I sure as shit haven't seen any.

This is far worse that the cancel culture you people screech about.

The irony is absolutely adorable.
    Hell, even if there WERE intent of harm, what harm was done? There have been no material damages.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Intent is the key word here. If I go around saying stuff that's no true about you at all. If this example that you hate kittens. That's no big deal. I gave no clue who you are in real life. Name, address, etc. However if I decide to label you a pedo (using this as an example I know you ain't) and do know your name address. I go and call up your work and clients and spread misinformation. That's defamation and tortious interference. You can (and should) go after me for doing that. Because I caused harm to your livelihood.

Free speech does have some asterisks attached. This also us a complex issue. Because the press is involved. Odd like to see cnn emails on the matter on how they decided to cover the story myself.
    I love that you of all people are a part of cancel culture. But, instead of wanting to use free speech, you prefer a guy with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    The courts seemed to think so, or they would have thrown Sandmann's cases out due to lack of standing... To have standing to bring a case before the court you have to demonstrate (1) an injury in fact, which is (2) fairly traceable to the defendant’s misconduct (“causation”), and which can be (3) redressed by a favorable decision of the court.
    Have you met the American judicial system? it takes years for a case to be completely thrown out and that's not counting appeals, delays and other problems that may arise. Also depending on the state the lawsuit was filed under what notion even bullshit lawsuits like SLAP suits will not be dismissed and take years to work their way through the system.

??? Got any evidence that I support cancel culture. I'm just saying why CNN decided to settle. A guy with a gun? Dude you lost me.
    That's what government is... a guy with a fun, telling you to do something, or else.

As for CNN, they shouldn't have settled. They should have told them to piss up a rope.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    What makes you think this? Quite a few states have relatively low standards, Kentucky being one of them.
    This was in federal court...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Courts don't expect you to have proven your case before they accept the charges as valid.

The plaintiff need only establish that there is a possibility of damages. They'll be expected to produce evidence to back that up in the actual case.
    No... You need to demonstrate injury in fact... That isn't proving your case... You even go further and say one need only establish the 'possibility of damages'... Absolutely false, the law explicitly states (for the injury in fact test) that the damages can't be 'conjectural or hypothetical'.

Jk rowling for a tweet that'll make rozz shut down this thread. Cancel culture is mostly on twitter. Like I mentioned earlier. It very rarely has an impact. The only one that had real backlash for a while is kathy Griffin and that comedian that want girls watch him jack it (Jim Gaffigen?)

- - - Updated - - -

The government it's self ain't involved. Only the the judicial branch for a civil lawsuit. this is not a government lawsuit nor brought on by the government this is a completely civil matter because it's only seeking monetary damages.

Civil =/= federal cases
    It's still the government, just not a criminal case. It's still a guy with a gun.

What if they dont pay?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Are you really going to tell people that this kid is not going to have issues finding a job in the future because of what CNN did? His face was all over the news for no less than two months.
    A young white dude from a well off family?

He'll be fine.

Again; whose career got ended?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Since CNN is s business. If cnn didn't pay up. The winner could have their assets seized assuming the case wasn't in appeals. The government wouldn't be involved with that. Only a court filing with a notice to compel the loser to pay up.
    So...a guy with a gun after all.

Any way you look at it, the courts are the government.

That is why I oppose the lawsuit, and why I think CNN should have never settled.

Cancel culture, indeed...

10+ Year Old Account
    Demanding they be omnipotent and benevolent is a shitty position to put them in.
    Because expecting a giant corporation to do the absolute bare minimum of due diligence is equivalent to expecting them to be omnipotent and benevolent...

Because expecting a giant corporation to do the absolute bare minimum of due diligence is equivalent to expecting them to be omnipotent and benevolent...

Great, then the exact same should be demanded of absolutely everyone.

You better start writing checks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great, then the exact same should be demanded of absolutely everyone.

You better start writing checks.
    Sure, if I violate anyone's rights by defaming them.

Sure, if I violate anyone's rights by defaming them.
    Nah, lies, false claims, and biased statements.

Let's be consistent, here.

I have yet to see how their rights were violated. The only people I see who want to violate rights,are those who want to have the government punish CNN for their speech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, lies, false claims, and biased statements.

Let's be consistent, here.
    I am being consistent, you are just a literal crazy person.

I am being consistent, you are just a literal crazy person.
    Yes,supporting freedom of speech is crazy to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Cancel culture and the courts have nothing in common. While this case was in federal court (due to the dollar amount I'm guessing) the court itself doesn't decide. It's a jury trial IF the case made it that far. CNN decided to settle either because A. THE CAse would get expensive quick. B. The plaintiff had damning evidence C. CNN didn't want the reputation hit. A lot of dirt can be dragged out in court.

Ig you agree or not is irrelevant since there's a NDA on the settlement. As far as we know cnn could've settled for 1 trillion or a cheeseburger.
    The court are the ultimate form of cancel culture. Instead of using free speech,its using the threat of force and violence.

I know which one I think is worse.

Jk rowling for a tweet that'll make rozz shut down this thread. Cancel culture is mostly on twitter. Like I mentioned earlier. It very rarely has an impact. The only one that had real backlash for a while is kathy Griffin and that comedian that want girls watch him jack it (Jim Gaffigen?)
    So what did she lose, exactly?

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus christ dude. I understand you like anarchy. But the court can't use violence or force in a civil case
    The JURY decides the court doesn't and the government is not giving testimony or anything. Your argument falls flat.

Cancel culture is if me, and a few others got together as a collective group and decided to try to interfere with a celebrity getting gigs.
    What do you think the cops ARE, exactly?

Jesus christ dude. I understand you like anarchy. But the court can't use violence or force in a civil case
    The JURY decides the court doesn't and the government is not giving testimony or anything. Your argument falls flat.

Cancel culture is if me, and a few others got together as a collective group and decided to try to interfere with a celebrity getting gigs.
    Of course they can. If someone doesn't want to pay, the courts will enforce that payment, force being the key part of that equation. If there is no force, then a company that is successfully sued can simply tell people to piss off. The last time I checked, that's not the case. The government will forcefully extract that money.

So, in your eyes, cancel culture is people trying to silence others via free speech, but not via actual force? You are literally upset that free speech is a thing, and supporting the use of force to stifle it.

Could've lost sales. From my experience twitter always bitches yet doesn't buy anything so their threats are hollow.
    That's not cancelling. That's people deciding not to buy stuff.

Reputation is big if your a public figure. Having to deal with backlash for saying a un-PC thing might make places think twice about inviting you to conventions , key note speeches, etc.
    Ok, and have people expressing their opinions about her done this?

No I've already made clear the difference between free speech and defamation. I'm not angry about anything you are equating that I am. In fact I'd say your angry because you think you can say what ever you want without repercussions. that ain't true. Because like I've said 4 times free speech and defamation are 2 different things. The big difference is malice and intent.
    Except, we have seen nothing that shows CNN defamed the little Trumpster, and the "cancel culture" isn't defaming anyone. They are simply using free speech to speak out about people they don't like. You can have malice, and still not be defaming anyone. I fucking hate Trump, and every word that I speak about him is filled with malice. That doesn't mean my statements are defamatory in any way. He's a racist shitbag, and a terrible human being. On that note, CNN would be free to say the same about his supporters (they didn't), and still wouldn't be defaming them.

Anyone who thinks CNN should have had to pay a fucking penny is opposing free speech. It's that simple.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-01-09 at 02:02 AM.

How should I know? Cancel culture it's literally people banding together to go after someone for not Pc behavior. I know many times like in vic's case. Twitter warriors will contact conventions and tell them not to invite him because some people #metoo him but never went to the police.
    That's what free speech and capitalism are all about.

It would be no different than if some restaurant owner was a member of the KKK, and often spouted white supremacist nonsense to his customers. If you knew about it, would you tell your friend to not go there if he said he was thinking about going?

But if I said the owner of said restaurant was a member of the kkk because I was angry my burger (intent) was over cooked. And I spread a LIE (malice) that would be defamation. If he is a true member of the kkk and I said he was and don't eat there because he is. That would be free spoech.
    Cancel culture is the latter, they are literally using someone's words, speech, and actions against them.