Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does fishing skill matter?

Haven't ready been able to find a response googling so figured I would ask it here. In past expansions I fished a loot and managed to obtain a fully fishing plus set. With legion I changed characters and I'm wondering if fishing skill still has any bonuses beyond not being reliant on pools as much.

Does it give any tangible benefits to having a fully overcaped fishing skill in bfa?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr chub View Post
    Haven't ready been able to find a response googling so figured I would ask it here. In past expansions I fished a loot and managed to obtain a fully fishing plus set. With legion I changed characters and I'm wondering if fishing skill still has any bonuses beyond not being reliant on pools as much.

Does it give any tangible benefits to having a fully overcaped fishing skill in bfa?
    I think you just fish up less junk per cast.

Yep, simply less junk when fishing in open water. But the % of catching junk isn't that high to begin with. My fresh alt needed to fish up a bunch of generic fish for a (herbalism?) quest. I think it were Lane Snappers, so no special quest fish or anything. Only got 2 or 3 trash catches (in open water) before finishing the quest, even managed to catch a Midnight Salmon. Fishing skill hardly matters. If your goal is to simply catch as many fish as possible, just fish in open water regardless of skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I still got trash with effective 199 fishing skill (Fishing rod with enchant, boots, hat and hat lure).
    Yeah, but you get less overall. It was really noticable while skilling. So much more junk around fishing 70 than fishing 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I still got trash with effective 199 fishing skill (Fishing rod with enchant, boots, hat and hat lure).
    Really?
    I was fishing in the ocean today and at around skill 100 + the legendary fishing rod I stopped getting trash items.
    Or did it just get really luck on some 2 dozen casts?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

yes it's very important if you really want to catch a fish otherwise you get only water.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    In BFA so far I"m seeing no real difference in fishing the pools even - much less a difference in rating.

When the expansion started (so fishing was what..700..whatever it was at the end of Legion) I fished pools and open water "geared and buffed" out for fishing bonuses - and all I noticed was pools didn't seem to be a "bonus" anymore because when I fished open water I got the exact same fish that was in the pool - and then a few others randomly. I got trash but it was maybe..10% of the casts.

Stopped setting up my fishing gear and just started fishing with the auto-pole the game gives everyone. I've noticed little difference at all. Less trash (but again its not much trash to begin with) overall - but no bonuses otherwise. No extra fish procs, no special boxes *misses Dranar fishing*, no anything. A pool gives Fish A and once the pool is gone the open water continues to *mostly* give Fish A and occasionally Fish B or C. Less often a piece of trash.

I'm not maxxed fishing yet (very casual fishing while questing) but I'm over 100 points in BFA fishing skill and I'm seeing no significant difference from 50 or from 20 skill.

And the only reason I bother to equip my legendary fishing rod is for the hell of it. Seems to be the only reason to try pools too now - "cuz they are there." But no real bonus to anything otherwise.

If someone proves something else with numbers - great. I'd really like to think some of this makes a difference still rather then they just gutted what little bonuses the fishing+ gave you or the pool use to give.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Fishing skill will probably be the next thing they chop. Ever since they removed the skill requirement to actually use the fishing ability per area, the skill was essentially useless. It could very well only be a simple ability with no skill behind it by now.

I'm pretty sure that except one bearded guy with huge glasses somewhere in their basement even Blizzard emploeyees don't really know what the skill affects currently and what not.

Slightly less trash, but I also notice they buffed trash. It sells for like 6-7g in BFA instead of 1 copper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    Fishing skill will probably be the next thing they chop. Ever since they removed the skill requirement to actually use the fishing ability per area, the skill was essentially useless. It could very well only be a simple ability with no skill behind it by now.

I'm pretty sure that except one bearded guy with huge glasses somewhere in their basement even Blizzard emploeyees don't really know what the skill affects currently and what not.
    I don't think that is going to happen. It's another pretty bar to fill. Some players will start fishing over just that. And fishing can't just be rolled into other professions like first aid.

Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post
    I don't think that is going to happen. It's another pretty bar to fill. Some players will start fishing over just that. And fishing can't just be rolled into other professions like first aid.
    Cooking ?

Honestly yes, the skill points for Fishing doesn't have a point anymore and are probably more confusing than anything for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Cooking ?

Honestly yes, the skill points for Fishing doesn't have a point anymore and are probably more confusing than anything for new players.
    In beta, maybe even alpha, there was a secondary profession called survival skills which involved the creation of campfires and torches. They originally intended nights to be super dark, and you needed torches to be able to see more than a few feet from you. Notably Darkshore has retained several features of this, including the darker than is normal for WoW scenery and all the town guards and night watchers carrying torches.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Fishing isn't really that important imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr chub View Post

Raiding food?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Other than less trash I don't think it matters at all. I don't fishing from either pools or just open water matters either.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post

The only thing they did with it was the ratio of trash to fish, and the annoying small/regular/enormous fish thing in WoD.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

What Blizzard does is prune so many features from something and make it near worthless/pointless that removing it wouldn't really change anything. Just keep chipping away at it little by little until people don't care anymore and less time is needed maintaining it. Just look at Archaeology or first aid as an example. Although I hate the mission table look at that as well.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-01-09 at 06:47 PM.

Never got a single piece of trash at 175 KT skill level.
    I dont understand why people carry and use fishing equipment (aside artifact) to go over the cap. Even if you get 1 piece of trash every 50-100 casts its still not worth the bag space to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    What Blizzard does is prune so many features from something and make it near worthless/pointless that removing it wouldn't really change anything. Just keep chipping away at it little by little until people don't care anymore and less time is needed maintaining it. Just look at Archaeology or first aid as an example. Although I hate the mission table look at that as well.
    Arch in Cata = gather fragments for mog weapons, toys, pets, and mounts.
    Arch now = gather fragments for mog weapons, toys, pets, and mounts.

The only things that changed were they made it easier by getting more fragments per find, more finds per digsites, have digsites not take up entire subzones anymore, and added the distance and directional tip.

As for first aid, what exactly did they chip away? In classic we had bandages, in Legion we had bandages. The only thing I could think of was they stopped having recipes for poison curing.

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Arch in Cata = gather fragments for mog weapons, toys, pets, and mounts.
    Arch now = gather fragments for mog weapons, toys, pets, and mounts.

The only things that changed were they made it easier by getting more fragments per find, more finds per digsites, have digsites not take up entire subzones anymore, and added the distance and directional tip.

As for first aid, what exactly did they chip away? In classic we had bandages, in Legion we had bandages. The only thing I could think of was they stopped having recipes for poison curing.
    First aid isn't a profession anymore.