Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Disney decided to dedicate an entire theme park to the IP. SW hasn't been a success?

Overall they've been successful despite (what do you call internet hipsters?) strong vocal minorities on the internet.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2020-01-10 at 04:45 PM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    I don't know what kind of next, they're already everywhere with movies, series, toys, legos, cereal boxes and shit.
    Or do you mean what part of the universe they could use next? They can literally make stuff up, link it with something else for relatability and step into any direction that way. I doubt they'll make other trilogies, at least not for a good 10 years, let the current crap get filtered out by people ability to forget terrible things and hopefully come back with something good.

I just finished the Mandalorian a few days ago, pretty enjoyable I would say, I think this has a lot of potential, some episodes were a bit too episodic for my taste by in today's world of series everybody does that, not much commitment in the first season in case it doesn't get a second season. They did get the go for a season 2 so I'm expecting more from it, but there's definitely something there.

The last movie was overall pretty lame, like episode 8, there's tiny glimpse of something great hidden under tons and tons of crap, the ending was maximum shit though, really killed the movie for me. Episode 7 was the best of the trilogy, and even then, Rogue One was better IMO. And I didn't even see the Han Solo stand alone, I will someday, but that's pretty much the amount of hype I have towards the franchise these days.

I think the Obiwan Kenobi series or film is still underway? I will admit I am quite interested in that one, it could be pretty cool. There's still a lot of good stuff to make with the franchise, they just need the right people to do it correctly I guess, and changing people is easier than changing a franchise. So I don't see this as a lost cause at all, it could turn around easily, but maybe it won't. I'm not holding my breath either, I'm just treating this like any other entertainment product, I'll check it out and either enjoy it or hate it and in either cases it's no big deal cuz there's always something else around the corner.
    I would have loved an Obi-wan movie, it would probably be in his early years before Episode 1, but betwen epsiode 3 and 4 would be interesting too.

Rogue 1 was very good, I liked Han Solo, didn't think it was great, but I liked it. Of the new ones I probably enjoyed Episode 9 the most, though i really didn't like how they ended it, nor the rehash of 4-6 route they took.

I enjoyed the Mandalrioian too, not great, it was interesting and engaging enough to watch, but not to bosess over or crave for more, that's the right balance if you ask me for a tv show.

I'd like a new trilogy, but at least i 5-10 years, once they settle down a bit and can paint a backstory to launch.. I do lik ethe idea of doing an Old republic series or series of movies and then using that to laucnh the next trilogy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    New isn't really how I'd phrase it. new stuff made with all the newest features of modern technology, new stories being told, etc. People don't mind that kind of stuff. People mind retconning, altering, or evolving of things previously thought to be understood. People don't like bastardizing of things they previously loved without a WHOLE lot of explanation.
    What retcons? As for altering and evolving, that's precisely what adding something new means. The sequels were set 30 years after RotJ. Of course, the galaxy has changed, of course the characters have changed too. No, some people are just disgruntled because their own personal "head canon" hasn't been respected by the movie writers. And then there is all that nitpicking... Ugh. The truth is that a lot of fans have become mean, nasty, hateful little creatures cursing the very thing they worship. Why did George Lucas sell Lucas Film? Because he has had enough of those fans yelling at him that he "destroyed their childhood" or that he "killed Star Wars" and all that BS. And that sorry lot attack actors too! And then they get insulted when the actors are fighting back after all the crap they recieve through social media!

Star Wars fanatics are like people who claim they like chocolate cake, but they have such a high and rigid idea of what a chocolate cake should be that the slightest deviation to that ideal is taken as a mortal sin and they cannot enjoy their favorite dessert anymore. And then they yell and blame it all on the waiteress and the cook, making everyone else in the restaurant miserable. If only they had chosen apple pie instead, they would have praised the cook and actualy enjoyed themselves.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    People tend to like rebels the mandlorian fallen order and the comic front has been going pretty well. The only real stinkers have been the movies and the stuff around them like resistance and even those have a lot of fans.

Over all I’d say there all ready succeeding they just keep to pull the movies up to the same level of quality as all the other stuff.
    I don't like resistance cuz I'm butthurt they stopped rebels n made a new show with the main character looking he is brother of ezra..at least make him different! His behavior is also a lot of the same..

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I don't like resistance cuz I'm butthurt they stopped rebels n made a new show with the main character looking he is brother of ezra..at least make him different! His behavior is also a lot of the same..
    I had watched the first episode and while it seemed like a fine show the lack of stuff made me not care to watch more as the force is my main focus when it comes to my like of Starwars.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    I had watched the first episode and while it seemed like a fine show the lack of stuff made me not care to watch more as the force is my main focus when it comes to my like of Starwars.
    What I liked about Rebels is that I cared about all the characters there, even the ewul droid chopper

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Ezra Bridger and Kazuda Xiono are not the same at all. Kaz is the spoon-fed son of a senator, while Ezra is an orphaned street urchin. Kaz is clumsy, Ezra does all sorts of acrobatics. Kaz is often awkward with people and rubs them the wrong way, Ezra is charming and makes friends easily. Kaz is an ace pilot, Ezra is not. The only things they have in common is that they are both male teenagers with black hair.

It can work, so long as they have good writers. The Mandalorian proved that much. Here's hoping the High Republic Age is just as good. Though, I do wish they did films of the Old Republic. Ya know? The greatest age ever?

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Disney decided to dedicate an entire theme park to the IP. SW hasn't been a success?
    It so successful that they do not want to copy the "success" to the Disneyparks abroad.....like it in France and Japan.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    It so successful that they do not want to copy the "success" to the Disneyparks abroad.....like it in France and Japan.
    Is Starwars even a popular thing in either of those places? I know China doesn’t care for it and wouldn’t be surprised if Japan felt the same.

Something being successful in one country doesn’t mean it would be in every country and if that’s the bar your aiming for nothing in the world has been a success.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Fair enough, but...again..what does "success" mean? I guess in the long run, they will make back the 4 billion they paid to Lucas...and a lot more. Do people really flock to visit that theme park? Honest question, I have no idea. As I said, it seems the Mandalorian works for people...and apparently the Clone Wars Cartoons do. But really I feel (no facts, just a feeling) that they thought TFA would shatter all records and so would the following films. And "strong vocal minority" (whatever that means, seems contradicting IMHO) or not....people seem to be put off by TLJ and RoS..at least as far as butts on seats go. But, I concede...the same happened with TEsb and RotJ - a clear drop off in people visiting theatres while the budget rose.
    From a quick google, some galaxy edge merchandise has sold out as well as passes in of them self. So it seems to be doing pretty good though I haven’t dug deeper.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cnbc...alifornia.html
    https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.lone...-edge-sold-out

10+ Year Old Account
    Star Wars was a cultural smash when it originally came out because the special effects were absolutely groundbreaking. For instance, just a few years earlier, this film came out;

So yeah; Star Wars set whole new standards, with a simple story and simple characters so kids enjoyed it as much as adults, and it hit at the right time to be a massive cultural hit.

That's just not gonna happen, in the modern era. The equivalent would be "we've developed a fully-immersive VR film system that isn't just 3D, but puts you actually in the film", without any loss of resolution/quality. Way beyond what we can handle, and possibly never achievable outside of direct brain interface. Because as far as realistic effects go, we can achieve pretty much anything with the existing technology. The film Avatar is the closest equivalent, but the story was shallow and uninspiring, so despite making like a billion dollars nobody was clamoring for more. And I'd argue it's because everything else is "good enough", and we don't really hunger for the same treatment; the 3D was neat, but not something that retroactively makes everything that came before look like ass. 3D remains a gimmick, not a cultural movement.

By modern standards, the new films are doing just fine. Maybe they could've done a bit better, but they're still successful blockbusters. They aren't flopping in theaters, at all. The franchise is already a wild success. It's just not setting new industry-wide ground rules, like the OT did, for effects. Because that's not really possible.

yes if they get away from the boring ass skywalker saga already and move on to The Old Republic story. Full on trained Jedi and Sith wars are way better than boring ass single person

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
    They don't copy a lot of stuff...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Of course it can succeed, it already is succeeding. Even TRoS is well on its way to a billion dollars, so it is already a quantifiable success regardless of what anyone thinks of it.
    If you consider production cost and marketing, 1 billion dollars is not very impressive number.

Of course--the Mandalorian and Rogue One shows that it can. Moving outside of the Skywalker boundaries will give them more flexibility and do new things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AkundaMrdal View Post
    If you consider production cost and marketing, 1 billion dollars is not very impressive number.
    $945 million in 3 weeks is impressive regardless of that. Especially for a movie that critics (and many fans) largely panned.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Of course--the Mandalorian and Rogue One shows that it can. Moving outside of the Skywalker boundaries will give them more flexibility and do new things.
    This. Rogue One was amazing IMO and I really enjoyed most of the Mandalorian episodes, but I'm eager to see where SW goes with the book firmly closed on the Vader/Luke etc stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    What retcons?
    I'm not talking specifically star wars here, I'm talking any fanatical fan-based IP.

As for altering and evolving, that's precisely what adding something new means.
    Not necessarily. Adding something new that still respects all of the old stuff previously made is perfectly fine. Choosing to alter some of that stuff (like the idea that the force comes from microbes in your blood, which means theoretically anyone could blood-dope their way to jedi status....) is no bueno.

The sequels were set 30 years after RotJ. Of course, the galaxy has changed, of course the characters have changed too.
    Again, I'm just talking about things generally. However, I'm fine with the first thing. I'm not fine with the second. People basically never change IMO. Their ideals, etc... maybe. But someone like luke wouldn't turn into a hermit like he did, because he never would have failed like he did, etc. That's what I mean. You can't just do whatever you want with an IP that has fanatics and be like "see! this is why he turned out the way I wanted him to!" Shoehorning some bad story to fit your narrative instead of being bound by the confines of what is expected is a surefire way to get controversy.

No, some people are just disgruntled because their own personal "head canon" hasn't been respected by the movie writers.
    And that's the point. This will happen with any fanatical fan base *if you do certain things*

The truth is that a lot of fans have become mean, nasty, hateful little creatures cursing the very thing they worship.
    Ah yeah, that's why everyone loves mandalorean. Not like that's something entirely new and previously unexplored. Same fan base, different reactions. Both things "new." I wonder why that is? Couldn't possibly be because mando respected all things old star wars while managing to introduce new characters, stories, etc, without defacing old ones.

Star Wars fanatics are like people who claim they like chocolate cake, but they have such a high and rigid idea of what a chocolate cake should be that the slightest deviation to that ideal is taken as a mortal sin and they cannot enjoy their favorite dessert anymore. And then they yell and blame it all on the waiteress and the cook, making everyone else in the restaurant miserable.
    I'm ok with all of this, because the reason chocolate pie even exists on that menu is because of those fanatics who popularized it in the first place. You don't get to control if your IP goes to cult status, but you damn well better respect the cult if it does and stay in your lane. If you get tired of it and get that urge to do something wildly different, just do something COMPLETELY ENTIRELY new instead of trying to take your baby and alter it. OR if you choose to do the latter, be entirely prepared and not at all sad at the reality you KNOW is going to happen when you piss them off.

I'm not saying people who change their IPs shouldn't feel free to do so, but it's like dangling a raw steak in front of a starved wolf and expecting not to get fucking jumped. Should the wolf jump you? No. Is the wolf wrong to jump you? Yes. Did you still fucking do something stupid and get jumped because the reality of the wolf's nature supercedes absolutely everything else in the realm of morality? Absolutely. You might not deserve the blame, but to act upset when something you know is going to happen happens because you wish reality worked the way it "should" instead of the way it "does" just makes you an idiot to me.

TL;DR don't change your IP if you have fanatics and also expect no backlash. You should be strong enough to handle the backlash, because like it or not, it will happen.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2020-01-10 at 06:53 PM.

Good writing is so simple that you can boil it down to 1 sentence: Create interesting characters and torture them for 300 pages.

Disney Star Wars fails on both counts. The characters are boring, and the quest they are on is too easy. Whomever wrote this crap has no idea how to write.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Disney will succeed with Star Wars - they know how to make successful stuff.

The issue many here may have is that the success may not be to the same audience that grew to love the franchise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Whomever wrote this crap has no idea how to write.
    2019 - when 'bad writing' became the Deus Ex Machina of the critic.

These days the moment someone says 'bad writing' is an reason they don't like a show, I know I can safely ignore everything else they have to say.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    I'm not talking specifically star wars here, I'm talking any fanatical fan-based IP.

Not necessarily. Adding something new that still respects all of the old stuff previously made is perfectly fine. Choosing to alter some of that stuff (like the idea that the force comes from microbes in your blood, which means theoretically anyone could blood-dope their way to jedi status....) is no bueno.

Again, I'm just talking about things generally. However, I'm fine with the first thing. I'm not fine with the second. People basically never change IMO. Their ideals, etc... maybe. But someone like luke wouldn't turn into a hermit like he did, because he never would have failed like he did, etc. That's what I mean. You can't just do whatever you want with an IP that has fanatics and be like "see! this is why he turned out the way I wanted him to!" Shoehorning some bad story to fit your narrative instead of being bound by the confines of what is expected is a surefire way to get controversy.

And that's the point. This will happen with any fanatical fan base *if you do certain things*
    And on that, thank you, case closed.