Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Oh wow, this guy gets it. Like literally 100% spot on on everything he said.

And PS. I am not RP guy lol, im a damn mythic raider with 9 cutting edges, i WANT persistent systems I WANT visual housing.

Imagine being able to put mannequins in your house with some of your transmo collection.
    I mean, it's not an necessary thing, but it's not a bad thing to implement when there's nothing in wow you feel in doing and plus it's nice something that shows your journey besides just achievements. Something more personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakana View Post
    I mean, it's not an necessary thing, but it's not a bad thing to implement when there's nothing in wow you feel in doing and plus it's nice something that shows your journey besides just achievements. Something more personal.
    Problem is, Blizzard would try to sell it as the main feature, instead of calling it a side stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Problem is, Blizzard would try to sell it as the main feature, instead of calling it a side stuff.
    Yep, pretty much :/

See: Warlords of Draenor

That version of it was kind of, as the kids say, "meh"

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I personally just don't think isolation in an MMO is a good experience. It almost single handedly killed WoD with Garrisons.
    You are isolated when you do a PVE pet battle. /shrug.

Lots of things in the game are done isolated. Quest line scenario when you aren't in a party...isolation.

Not everything in an MMO needs to be done with strangers hanging all over you. Sometimes it's OK to do things in an MMO by yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    I would counter that a bigger problem is that they haven't done it at all. That would be a much smaller problem...that they talked it up too much. You can still argue it's a "problem" but in the scope of all the problems in the game, Blizz over selling player housing is pretty inconsequential.

Like saying, "my fear with Pet Battles is Blizz will just hype it too much". It's kinda "meh" as far as problems go.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    Agree with the sentiment, for an mmo, what good would housing brings?

would it give better pvp? pve?classes? massive fights? What is a player for (real question)? Garrisons were the closest I think of a player house, it was CRAP, killed an xpac with people staying in, not doing shit.

I see the subject being brought again and again, no one has ever made a statement explaining why this would in any way be good for the game.
    There is a reason players say Garrisons aren't real housing. It's not because Garrisons sucked (which they did); it's because the goals were entirely separate.

Here's the thing; a true housing system *MUST* be completely separate from "gameplay", in absolutely every way. Much the same as transmogging. If transmogging required a gem-slot, it would be a completely different beast; much the same as Garrisons.

You see, Garrisons didn't offer any sort of meaningful customization. What they DID offer were a lot of gameplay "perks" that nobody was asking for, but with it being the easiest (if boring and time-consuming) way of acquiring loot and gold, players felt it was mandatory to engage with the system.

It was a horrible system, and one that I think we are still reeling from the damage it did to the player community.

But just because "it's supposed to be a build your character owns", doesn't make it "housing".

Much like transmogging, "housing" is about creating a sort of "character" for yourself. Would my character spend their time in an icy fortress, learning to wield soul-magic? Or would they have a beach party on some remote, tropical island? Would I use my personal "house" to showcase trophies and accomplishments? Or would I try to make it "fun" to explore?

Again, a good housing system should, almost by definition, be ENTIRELY separate from "gameplay". The only connection I would have, is simply offering special items or trophies as either rare-drops, or as rewards for completing different achievements. And if you don't want to engage with it at all? Then there should be zero reason for you too, other than if YOU decide you feel like messing around with it. Same as transmogging.

I'm more torn between housing and guild garrisons. Not garrisons as in the sense of WoD, more of a showcase for guilds. This would be cool to showcase guild achievements, raids, guild gold sinks for opening wings. It would be awesome to have people that want to apply for the guild be able to see the garrisons as well to get a hint at what the guild is all about with what is shown. Maybe even have it as an island where guild members can purchase their housing next to the garrison there if available for each person.

Player housing would be a pretty cool thing for friend hang outs, bragging about accomplishments and a general place of being able to have pride in how you play. Have your vanity pets and mounts running around, achievements plastered on the walls, maybe a couple NPCs from places you are exalted with. Have your friends list able to visit each other's housing if you aren't even there.

None of it should be for player progression but more for friendly social interaction, pride, or just eye candy. Transmogs are a thing, this doesn't seem much different as a gold sink and content.

With that said, I'm not sure if I'd be for or against housing. I don't want to take away from the regular content for devs and art teams to put more effort on a side project, but you wouldn't catch me complaining if they were implemented. I'd invest some time into it.

This is a system that has the potential to be fully and seamlessly integrated into every aspect of the game, for more than one expansion into eternity, much like battle pets. You get your little Stormwind apartment or Orgrimmar hut and start to earn decorations and trophies from a variety of gameplay sources. Or you can buy a more expensive house in Dalaran, or Boralus/Zuldazar, or the newest hub. Items or blueprints could drop from everything, or come from rep vendors, or achievements, I mean really it's endless. "Oh I gotta go farm some furbolgs, they drop this potted plant."

It's another satisfying system with clear rewards, they wouldn't affect your character's power, so only players who care about it would have to participate.

The only reason they haven't done it yet is that they plan to do it eventually. That's the only thing that makes sense. They're probably waiting for the right expansion theme to release it.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    There is a reason players say Garrisons aren't real housing. It's not because Garrisons sucked (which they did); it's because the goals were entirely separate.

Here's the thing; a true housing system *MUST* be completely separate from "gameplay", in absolutely every way. Much the same as transmogging. If transmogging required a gem-slot, it would be a completely different beast; much the same as Garrisons.

You see, Garrisons didn't offer any sort of meaningful customization. What they DID offer were a lot of gameplay "perks" that nobody was asking for, but with it being the easiest (if boring and time-consuming) way of acquiring loot and gold, players felt it was mandatory to engage with the system.

It was a horrible system, and one that I think we are still reeling from the damage it did to the player community.

But just because "it's supposed to be a build your character owns", doesn't make it "housing".

Much like transmogging, "housing" is about creating a sort of "character" for yourself. Would my character spend their time in an icy fortress, learning to wield soul-magic? Or would they have a beach party on some remote, tropical island? Would I use my personal "house" to showcase trophies and accomplishments? Or would I try to make it "fun" to explore?

Again, a good housing system should, almost by definition, be ENTIRELY separate from "gameplay". The only connection I would have, is simply offering special items or trophies as either rare-drops, or as rewards for completing different achievements. And if you don't want to engage with it at all? Then there should be zero reason for you too, other than if YOU decide you feel like messing around with it. Same as transmogging.

1- Could you describe what a player housing is then?
    2- What are its main feature?
    3- What could make it attractive?
    4- How does it impact character developement for a non RP player?
    5- How does it benefit the game as a whole?
    6- How do you ensure the time and ressources required to do this does not take time away from more important and urgent things that are needed in game?

Would really want to know from someone that is eager to have this.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    It's honestly baffling to me that WoW players still think that they're entitled to literally every dumb feature every other MMO has.
    Odd how paying customers will want things implemented in the product they're paying to support. Very curious. Very strange.

Whenever someone brings up the idea of housing, I think of Garrisons. While the attempt was good, the implementation was not.

My suggestion would be to have one house per faction and server (or combined servers). So if you have 20 toons in Faction X on Server A, then they share a house. If you have 3 toons in Faction Z on Server B, then they would share a house. This way, as you increase your toons on a server, the maintenance cost of the house goes down. And this way, when they aren't out advernturing, they can have coffee together.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    Odd how paying customers will want things implemented in the product they're paying to support. Very curious. Very strange.
    Because a paying customer deserves to have every dumb fucking idea ever thought about considered? Brilliant. Very big brain.

Because a paying customer deserves to have every dumb fucking idea ever thought about considered? Brilliant. Very big brain.
    Housing is dumb? I've enjoyed my housing in other games, like wildstar and ultima online... somewhat eso. Doesn't seem dumb to me. Collecting items for the house was one of my favorite things to do in all those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidism View Post
    They seem to want only stuff for the specific expansion... like garrisons, order halls etc. They don't want a "expansionless" system that you keep working on, for some reason.
    Which is funny as fuck because if they had a constant system (Like leveling) you dont need to constantly redo the whole thing all the time. It would be like a game getting a new engine for each release.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    1- Could you describe what a player housing is then?
    2- What are its main feature?
    3- What could make it attractive?
    4- How does it impact character developement for a non RP player?
    5- How does it benefit the game as a whole?
    6- How do you ensure the time and ressources required to do this does not take time away from more important and urgent things that are needed in game?

Would really want to know from someone that is eager to have this.
    Wildstar housing would be the best reference here.

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Housing is dumb? I've enjoyed my housing in other games, like wildstar and ultima online... somewhat eso. Doesn't seem dumb to me. Collecting items for the house was one of my favorite things to do in all those games.
    I'm glad it doesn't seem stupid to you. As this thread has evidenced, there are at least 15 pages worth of people who think the idea is worth discussing. And that's fine. Discussing it is perfectly fine. But the justification that "I pay for it therefore I should have it," is one of pure entitlement. The approach shouldn't be "I already paid for it therefore I demand this feature to be there," it should be, "I want this feature and this game doesn't have it therefore I do not feel as if it's worth my money." Vote with your wallet, but don't try to force the developers' hand because you have a weird fixation with a feature that honestly isn't that important.

Because implementing anti-social features in a social game has been proven destructive. I mean, I get it why you would want it, but it just doesn’t do a lot of good for the game. I’d rather see a good reworked city on Azeroth. Darnassus, Undercity/Lordaeron are candidates.

Yes? Of course they do. Blizzard obviously considers player housing, likely all the time. They designed Vanilla with that in mind (though it was cut), so what's with the buttrage? God forbid paying players ask for features?

Just stop.

Player housing is a waste of dev time.

Maybe we will get housing once Azeroth is born and we have to move to other planet.