Thread: Pokemon, Part 2

10+ Year Old Account

Wana know the anoying thing. My Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield: The Official Galar Region Strategy Guide: Collector's Edition (ordered on 21. November 2019) finaly came today and its not OUTDATED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post

Still missing 300.
    ./backpeddle

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    If you can't get good coverage from the new pokemon alone, then there simply arn't enough being added. Especially to pull a stun like this
    What were you really missing?

I used solely new Pokemon on my team and had a pretty decent range I would say.

Inteleon as water, to cover fire/ground/rock.
    Toxtricity to as poison/electric, to cover grass/fairy/water/flying.
    Polteagiest as Ghost, to cover Psychic/Ghost.
    Sirfetch'd as Fighting, to cover Normal/Rock/Ice/Dark/Steel.
    Flapple as Grass/Dragon, to cover...well, having a Flapple since type-wise was just a bit redundant admittedly in countering others.
    Alcremie as Fairy, to cover Fighting/Dragon/Dark.

I'm pretty sure that's a counter for almost every type besides Bug/Poison really in the end.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    The Max Venusaur looks awesome, and I'm pretty excited for it. I really hope Kingdra gets a Galar Variant, and doesn't look like he is "challenged." Roc dogs is cool, since I personally really liked them even if they weren't always incredibly useful.

Huge boo to Garchomp and legendaries, though hopefully the legendaries will be restricted from ranked VGC play, because personally there is nothing more boring then damn near every team having a primal something, or having Tapu's. But, if not oh well it was fun while it lasted without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    What were you really missing?

I used solely new Pokemon on my team and had a pretty decent range I would say.

Inteleon as water, to cover fire/ground/rock.
    Toxtricity to as poison/electric, to cover grass/fairy/water/flying.
    Polteagiest as Ghost, to cover Psychic/Ghost.
    Sirfetch'd as Fighting, to cover Normal/Rock/Ice/Dark/Steel.
    Flapple as Grass/Dragon, to cover...well, having a Flapple since type-wise was just a bit redundant admittedly in countering others.
    Alcremie as Fairy, to cover Fighting/Dragon/Dark.

I'm pretty sure that's a counter for almost every type besides Bug/Poison really in the end.
    Flapple is simply to have an pocket dragon (should be able to perch the dude on your shoulder based upon size) to cover the rule of cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelhander View Post
    Thank you for mansplaining how opinions work.
    Also you're wrong, the people who agree with you are wrong, and you're probably ugly.
    Ever been so angry at everyone on the internet you tell a woman she is mansplaining?

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Still missing 300.
    No.

There are currently 890 species of pokemon. They revealed 5 new ones (895 total known pokemon).

We have 401 pokemon (plus Slowpoke) available and gaining 100 plus old pokemon ... but let's say each ONLY adds 100 including the new ones.

That means we will have 601 pokemon of 895 ... that is 294 missing pokemon at worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Things that to me would make the game a bit better:

1) More Marnie and Bede story fights ... I love these characters and arcs, I just wanted to see more of them. Hop is great, but more Bede and Marnie. There were iirc 3 story fights with Marnie and 4 with Bede with 1 in the post game each minus Title defense. Hop has 8 battles, plus 2 post game minus Title defense. Would it have been so hard to put in a few more story fights with Marnie or Bede?
    2) Bea/Allister and Gordie/Melony should have also appeared in the other version as well. This will likely apply to Klara/Avery as well, but these characters are designed well, and even if they only appeared in Title Defense, that would have been enough for me. Gordie "technically" appears in Shield, but only on Melony's rare card.
    3) The player should be allowed more customization of their uniform they wear in gym battles ... they literally programmed all 18 types plus the base one, why can't I wear my poison uniform if I was doing a poison only run? This is a mild annoyance, but I was like "Come on!"
    4) A larger wild area, they stated it was "as large as 2 BotW area" ... I am not sure if that is accurate, but honestly, I felt that it was smaller than one of them.

5) Annoyance: The mints are unneeded complexity. Seriously, we had bottle caps. Why didn't they either use caps or something like them? Say a regular bottle cap allows you to change what state is increased/decreased and a gold bottle cap allows you to do both at the same time. Instead we get 21 mints. It just seems unnecessary complexity. And before you say "Well, Gamefreak ..." In Let's Go, you could merely pay Pokedollars to influence the nature you'll more likely encounter in the wild for a day ... they could easily put in a more simplified system. True, my system could lead to needing 3 bottlecaps (ie turning Modest to Adamant), but that would only encounter if the stat you wanted to Raise is the state currently lowered or vice versa. We could also have Regular Cap pick stat to raise/lower (random nature of those 4) and Gold bottle cap (Pick both).

6) Minor, Allow Gym challenges out of order. This is something that has been missing (outside of Let's Go) for a while. You cannot progress in a lot of games unless you face the gyms in order. You have to go Milo -> Nessa -> Kabu -> Bea/Allister ... etc ... -> Raihan. Vs Let's go, the only set Gyms were Brock, Misty and Giovanni, you could go fight Blaine for your 3 badge if you wanted.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-11 at 01:01 AM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    No.

There are currently 890 species of pokemon. They revealed 5 new ones (895 total known pokemon).

We have 401 pokemon (plus Slowpoke) available and gaining 100 plus old pokemon ... but let's say each ONLY adds 100 including the new ones.

That means we will have 601 pokemon of 895 ... that is 294 missing pokemon at worst.

- - - Updated - - -

Things that to me would make the game a bit better:

1) More Marnie and Bede story fights ... I love these characters and arcs, I just wanted to see more of them. Hop is great, but more Bede and Marnie. There were iirc 3 story fights with Marnie and 4 with Bede with 1 in the post game each minus Title defense. Hop has 8 battles, plus 2 post game minus Title defense. Would it have been so hard to put in a few more story fights with Marnie or Bede?
    2) Bea/Allister and Gordie/Melony should have also appeared in the other version as well. This will likely apply to Klara/Avery as well, but these characters are designed well, and even if they only appeared in Title Defense, that would have been enough for me. Gordie "technically" appears in Shield, but only on Melony's rare card.
    3) The player should be allowed more customization of their uniform they wear in gym battles ... they literally programmed all 18 types plus the base one, why can't I wear my poison uniform if I was doing a poison only run? This is a mild annoyance, but I was like "Come on!"
    4) A larger wild area, they stated it was "as large as 2 BotW area" ... I am not sure if that is accurate, but honestly, I felt that it was smaller than one of them.

5) Annoyance: The mints are unneeded complexity. Seriously, we had bottle caps. Why didn't they either use caps or something like them? Say a regular bottle cap allows you to change what state is increased/decreased and a gold bottle cap allows you to do both at the same time. Instead we get 21 mints. It just seems unnecessary complexity. And before you say "Well, Gamefreak ..." In Let's Go, you could merely pay Pokedollars to influence the nature you'll more likely encounter in the wild for a day ... they could easily put in a more simplified system. True, my system could lead to needing 3 bottlecaps (ie turning Modest to Adamant), but that would only encounter if the stat you wanted to Raise is the state currently lowered or vice versa. We could also have Regular Cap pick stat to raise/lower (random nature of those 4) and Gold bottle cap (Pick both).

6) Minor, Allow Gym challenges out of order. This is something that has been missing (outside of Let's Go) for a while. You cannot progress in a lot of games unless you face the gyms in order. You have to go Milo -> Nessa -> Kabu -> Bea/Allister ... etc ... -> Raihan. Vs Let's go, the only set Gyms were Brock, Misty and Giovanni, you could go fight Blaine for your 3 badge if you wanted.
    There is 2% difference between 294 and 300. Even smaller if you compare to the total number.

Big fucking deal.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is 2% difference between 294 and 300. Even smaller if you compare to the total number.

Big fucking deal.
    Worst case scenario is 294. We are getting "over a hundred familiar returning pokemon" ... this could mean 101 or more. Since they didn't say over 200 ... we could assume best case is 199 in each.

So, that is 401, plus 5 new for 406 plus 199 x 2. That would be 804. Since there are 895 known pokemon, that would leave 91 missing.

We could have anywhere for 606 to 804 ... saying we are "still" missing 300 is factually inaccurate. It will be anywhere for 91 to 294.

Honestly, with the number potentially missing, a 3rd DLC could be done to add those in, but it is unlikely.

There are 40 pokemon I am somewhat certain will remain cut.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

People have been saying for years they should just do dlc instead of 3rd versions and now theyre doing it and people are complaining about it i just dont get it.

are sword and shield anywhere near perfect? no, but id much rather have this then ultra sword and shield
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Worst case scenario is 294. We are getting "over a hundred familiar returning pokemon" ... this could mean 101 or more. Since they didn't say over 200 ... we could assume best case is 199 in each.

So, that is 401, plus 5 new for 406 plus 199 x 2. That would be 804. Since there are 895 known pokemon, that would leave 91 missing.

We could have anywhere for 606 to 804 ... saying we are "still" missing 300 is factually inaccurate. It will be anywhere for 91 to 294.

Honestly, with the number potentially missing, a 3rd DLC could be done to add those in, but it is unlikely.

There are 40 pokemon I am somewhat certain will remain cut.
    From what ass are you pulling those numbers? They have plainly said the packs will add 100 and 100. No if and buts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorp View Post
    Ahh, you're a smogon player? D:
    Smogon is always gungho about banning things really quickly, even when it has many counters.
    I typically play official VGC rules, which is doubles, the meta game is still changing super frequently, and the only things not allowed is certain gmax mons and Zem and Zac. In doubles, the quality of battling is really great.
    No, I don't play by Smogon, but Smogon is the de facto competitive community outside of VGC, and if you play outside of VGC with competent players, they will abide by Smogon rules (sleep clause etc.) and follow the tiering of OU,UU etc when making teams and pitting them against yours.

And no, Smogon does not quickly ban. They run a metagame with the proposed changes and the highest, most skilled players in the tier get to vote on what should be done.

But again, Smogon is not the issue. You simply tried to dodge the argument, which is that you "loving" the new generation competitively, when its main feature in Dynamaxing has already been deemed broken by the biggest community that plays competitive pokemon is simply non-sensical and void of substance.

But, what would be the point in having them in the game, if they can't be used in online battles? most people tend to gravitate to online battling, so it's kinda pointless. Even if they didn't add the older ones in with the DLC pass, Pokemon you've had for years will eventually be able to be used in other titles, if it's not available in sword / shield.
    You cannot possibly be serious.

You are saying that you see no point of not including every Pokemon in the new main-series games as it has been done since the first game. How short-sighted and self-centered can you be? People have THEIR pokemon, that do not align with yours. People want THEIR pokemon in the games to play with them. You are basically saying "idgaf about others as long as I get to play with the pokemon I like" and "if it cannot be used competitively, it shouldn't be in the game".

How far can you even come in bullshit to defend a non-sensical and blantantly money-grabbing decision?

The only pointless thing with this is you buying this game and reinforcing the new tactics they are employing for the newer pokemon games.

No. Its literally 100 each for a total of 200 being added back. Thus, over 100. It says so on their time line release that someone posted a bit ago.

Its bs that any are missing, regardless of the number
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    IK it's cliche sounding as all hell, but I have this feeling that the Tree in the Crown Tundra is gonna be based off of Yggdrasil.

Xerneas and Yveltal seem to be naturally based in Kalos, yet we have no idea where in Kalos they were, considering Team Flare located them before us.
    And the trailer for The Crown Tundra zoomed in in the south end of Galar, which would place the Tree closer to Kalos, if Kalos is south of Galar as France is to the UK.

Fits the bill, if Zacian and Zamazenta are based off of Skol and Hati. And Xerneas and Yveltal being residents of the Tree as their basis in Norse mythology (the stag at the tree's base and the eagle in it's branches).
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    People have been saying for years they should just do dlc instead of 3rd versions and now theyre doing it and people are complaining about it i just dont get it.

are sword and shield anywhere near perfect? no, but id much rather have this then ultra sword and shield
    DLC sucks tho. Since you cant realy own them on disk or anywhere else.

- - - Updated - - -

pretty pumped for the dlc. while i dont like that they are bringing back so many pokemon at all, it wont stop me from having fun with new content. wish they would stick hard to dexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a reminder, but Temtem is coming out on Jan 21, 2020:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/745920/Temtem/

For those who are pissed off due to gamefreak so you have other type of pokemon game avaible. Grafics are kinda ugly, but i will give it a try since its their 1.st game.

7+ Year Old Account
    From what ass are you pulling those numbers? They have plainly said the packs will add 100 and 100. No if and buts.
    https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-u.../announcement/

Please read.

"Over 100 familiar ..."
    "Another wave of over 100 returning ..."

- - - Updated - - -

No. Its literally 100 each for a total of 200 being added back. Thus, over 100. It says so on their time line release that someone posted a bit ago.

Its bs that any are missing, regardless of the number
    Please read the link I posted.

It is clear EACH DLC has over 100 returning. It is not a "literal" 100.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-11 at 12:38 PM.
    –The Sith Code

Please read the link I posted.

It is clear EACH DLC has over 100 returning. It is not a "literal" 100.
    Its a literal 100 each. That is all there is too it. The "over 100" probably means slowpoke. It wont be anything else other then just 100. As much as I wish that wasn't the case
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

7+ Year Old Account
    Its a literal 100 each. That is all there is too it. The "over 100" probably means slowpoke. It wont be anything else other then just 100. As much as I wish that wasn't the case
    Did you even read what you type?

First off, it can't mean just slowpoke as Slowpoke is added for the first DLC and both say over 100 ... both say over 100 returning. So, maybe you mean Slowpoke and Slowking ... well that makes 101 in each and thus not a "literal 100."

Provide an official source that confirms it is only exactly 100 returning ... you can't.

Again, worst case scenario is a still missing 294 ... that is the absolute worse case assuming a literal 100.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2020-01-11 at 02:16 PM.
    –The Sith Code

Did you even read what you type?

First off, it can't mean just slowpoke as Slowpoke is added for the first DLC and both say over 100 ... both say over 100 returning. So, maybe you mean Slowpoke and Slowking ... well that makes 101 in each and thus not a "literal 100."

Provide an official source that confirms it is only exactly 100 returning ... you can't.

Again, worst case scenario is a still missing 294 ... that is the absolute worse case assuming a literal 100.
    Are we now really argueing the semantics of "more than"?
    It's very unlikely going to be more than 110 an "expansion" (and i'm putting it into brackets cause they look like half-assed DLCs at best) leaving us at 274 missing pokemon at best.
    No, there is no source we could base this on; i'm just saying they are unlikely to blow our minds with what they actually release; cause that's how it works in real life.

Now then; one could argue alolan forms and non-galarian forms being missing to... then we end up above 300 again.

Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    No, I don't play by Smogon, but Smogon is the de facto competitive community outside of VGC, and if you play outside of VGC with competent players, they will abide by Smogon rules (sleep clause etc.) and follow the tiering of OU,UU etc when making teams and pitting them against yours.

And no, Smogon does not quickly ban. They run a metagame with the proposed changes and the highest, most skilled players in the tier get to vote on what should be done.

But again, Smogon is not the issue. You simply tried to dodge the argument, which is that you "loving" the new generation competitively, when its main feature in Dynamaxing has already been deemed broken by the biggest community that plays competitive pokemon is simply non-sensical and void of substance.

You cannot possibly be serious.

You are saying that you see no point of not including every Pokemon in the new main-series games as it has been done since the first game. How short-sighted and self-centered can you be? People have THEIR pokemon, that do not align with yours. People want THEIR pokemon in the games to play with them. You are basically saying "idgaf about others as long as I get to play with the pokemon I like" and "if it cannot be used competitively, it shouldn't be in the game".

How far can you even come in bullshit to defend a non-sensical and blantantly money-grabbing decision?

The only pointless thing with this is you buying this game and reinforcing the new tactics they are employing for the newer pokemon games.
    You're also forgetting smogon is mostly single battles. And yes, they are gungho about banning things really quickly.
    I used to follow smogon rules back in the black and white era. Whenever they started suspect testing things, I found many viable counters to said pokemon but, their biggest argument was nothing more than "I don't want to run that move/pokemon on my team."
    And, I started hating smogon with a passion, once a smogon player came to a vgc event, back in x/y, and tried to assault me with a chair for breaking smogon's sleep clause. I'd argue smogon only banned dynamaxing cause no-one wants to run counters to it.

No, I like many of the pokemon that aren't currently available. But, I'm not getting butthurt over it just cause I can't use them now. I'll keep them in pokebank and bring them out again, in the future. The people getting butthurt over this can also do that. It's not like they are losing out on anything, and they may even discover new pokemon they like playing this way. Allows them to try different things etc. Out of all the things to get butthurt over, the pokedex thing is the stupidest haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Dynamax has no counter. You either Dynamax yourself or get fucked by it.

- - - Updated - - -

Still missing 300.
    Funny, I've been using switcheroo eject button + priority attack. Eject button on a dynamax mon will activate and send it back to the trainer.
    This strat doesn't work on dark types / while psychic terrain is up. but anything else, it will work on.