Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    I really liked ''Noir'' in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    Since no one did what you asked, here.

The word anime is the Japanese term for animation, which means all forms of animated media. Outside Japan, anime refers specifically to animation from Japan or as a Japanese-disseminated animation style often characterized by colorful graphics, vibrant characters and fantastical themes. The culturally abstract approach to the word's meaning may open up the possibility of anime produced in countries other than Japan. Many Westerners strictly view anime as a Japanese animation product. Some scholars suggest defining anime as specifically or quintessentially Japanese may be related to a new form of Orientalism.
    that's pretty deep. I always thought anime was just a new 10s social media fad than something with a lot of history.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i think covering every subject matter for any cartoon is kind of a stretch, as that elevates it to the degree of literature and cinema old as time itself. The skepticism is why I'm trying to mainly find out how far cartoons can actually at least go in covering topics.
    What on earth kind of logic is this? What possible theme could be covered in cinema but not in animation? You could literally make any movie ever into an animated version.

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Redemption, what's worth fighting for.
    • Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works: What it means to be a "hero". It's not about the result, it's about the action. Even if taking a stand doesn't accomplish anything, it was standing up for your principles that mattered.
    • Rurouni Kenshin: Accepting loss, and moving on. Redemption.
    • Seirei no Moribito: Accepting loss, and moving on. Redemption.
    • Kekkai Sensen: Accepting loss, and moving on. Redemption.
    • Trigun: No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to save everyone. You cannot earn your way into Heaven. But that's okay.
    • Log Horizon: What is a society?
    • Naruto: Your community is essential. If you forsake it or can't find a community to fit into, you will whither and die, bitter and alone. As long as you have a community to call home, you will always have people who will come save you in your darkest hour.
    • My Hero Academia: One man cannot save the world. The burden is too much. Likewise, the world cannot save itself. It is too corrupt and disparate. The burden must be split among a team of people. If one falls, the whole group will not collapse. Also, the system the world creates is falwed. What is legal sometimes isn't right, and sometimes you must break the law and make yourself a social pariah to do the right thing.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-01-10 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cordrann View Post
    What on earth kind of logic is this? What possible theme could be covered in cinema but not in animation? You could literally make any movie ever into an animated version.
    It's even more ironic, considering "still image painting" is literally the oldest form of artistic "medium", quite possibly pre-dating oral story telling, and Still Image painting is basically the direct predecessor of "Animation" (stringing multiple still images together to simulate movement). Even better is that crude still frame "animation" for projection purposes has existed since at least ancient china (pinhole lanterns), and pre dates the first "live action cinema" by at least a few thousand years.

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Thought about this after seeing the GG.

When you demand someone demonstrate the potential maturity of anime or cartoons, that person or people will be quick to defend it obviously. But what you usually get to prove "maturity" is gratuitous violence or raunchy and outright juvenile potty humor.

You know, while the idea of "mature themes" is subjective, is there actually a cartoon that conveys themes that are *believably meaningful* in a way that people over 20+ can enjoy if they have the patience for it? It *can* be violent or disturbing, but NOTHING in a way that's for the sake of sensationalism or shock value.

I just can't stand the idea of demonstrating "maturity" through gore and sex like with that filth with the movie Sausage Party. Just give me anything that is legitimately thoughtful.
    What you're looking for are "seinen"/"josei" anime. Mystery/adventure/Slice of life seinen anime are probably a better fit for what you've said than a action horror seinen (like hellsing).

Here's a list of anime that fit your criteria (a few of these can be violent/gory at points, but that's not the focus of any of them):

Bunny Drop (anime about a single dude in his 30s adopting a young girl and getting her settled into a new life after her parents died. Just a quality slice of life/feels anime.)
    Violet Evergarden
    Mushishi
    Spice and Wolf
    Boku Dake ga Inai machi/Erased
    Dororo
    Seirei no Moribito
    Death Parade
    Shirobako (anime about the process of making anime)
    San-gatsu no lion
    Mermaid Forest
    Monster
    Ergo Proxy
    B: The Beginning
    Psycho-pass
    Shinsekai Yori
    Kiseijuu
    Hinamatsuri (comedy)
    Made in Abyss
    re LIFE

Maybe Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood? - technically shounen/targeted at a younger audience, but it explores a lot of concepts, and there's a reason it's the top rated anime of all time.

All of these explore some more mature themes. The list ranges from slice of life positive feels to mystery/action/horror, so I think you'd be hard pressed to not find something you end up liking.
    Last edited by asamu; 2020-01-12 at 08:19 AM.