Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    But could he breathe that long in that butthole??
    The whole deal with sarlaccs is that they keep what they swallow alive over MILLENNIA. How that is supposed to work given that most living beings are energy-negative (i.e. you put more in than you get out) should probably not be questioned too deeply.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The whole deal with sarlaccs is that they keep what they swallow alive over MILLENNIA. How that is supposed to work given that most living beings are energy-negative (i.e. you put more in than you get out) should probably not be questioned too deeply.
    Kittens, Puppies, United Nations !!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Because it's ridiculous that not only does this Mandalorian happen to use carbon freezing to transport prisoners just like in Empire, when that was something Vader came up with on the spot using cargo freezing equipment, but he even apparently has the same brand of carbon freezer as a gas mining operation on Bespin.
    The canon has changed since the movie. It was used during the clone wars. It was used in the novels leading to force awakens. Darth Vader didn't "invent it on the spot" with current canon. How do you know it was the same brand? A doughnut looks like a doughnut even if you buy it from two different brands. Because the product is the same.

It's not a plot device, it's a cute reveal in the first episode and is never referenced again. It's absolutely there for nostalgia.
    It is used as a plot device because it is showing a bounty hunter going after multiple targets and show how transporting them all at once. It is also referenced how the rest of the guild is jealous of how the Mando keeps taking all of the good jobs. It isn't there just for nostalgia. And of course it isn't referenced again because he hasn't had a need to freeze any other targets. Since he has been on the run and not getting bounty jobs. You keep ignoring the plot and the story just to stick to "nostalgia".

Of course they added it to the story for a sort of nostalgia but it has also been expanded to be a piece of Star Wars canon. So it plays both roles. Nostalgia and plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    not hatting on boba, but this seems like a hell of asspull, claw his way out of the sand anus with teeth like that
    Well half of him was burned in acid and he managed to use his damaged jet pack to escape. His armor is what saved him. Jawas even picked him up thinking he was a droid or cyborb and fitted him with a restraining bolt after his escape from the pit. There is a short story about it showing how it digests it food over thousands of years. It is apparent semi-sentient now as well after it absorb a guy over 4 thousand years. And at one point 4 thousand years ago there was a Jedi stuck in there. But that is part of "Legends" and I don't know all of what is Disney era.

But yeah it was kinda a "magic" escape. What they did with the character was cool enough to not be to big of an issue. If he appears on the show I doubt we will get much of a explanation. He really should have his own stand alone show if he is brought back to life though.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-01-10 at 06:38 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Why? It’s not like the big toothed anus digests shit quickly. The only real hurdle is getting out. He had plenty of tools on him to do so.
    I mean, he even still had a missile on his backpack, right?

Also, some discussion that the person at the end of the tattoine episode that came up to the dead lady after they left might have been Boba, but I only signed up for a free week so didn't double check for every little detail.

The actual canon escape was already done though:
    https://youtu.be/gU070mnjSD4?t=207
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

I have just watched the whole series and I honestly liked it more than I expected. It has been said by others, but this and Rogue One show that if Disney gives the keys to the right people and has a (good) plan to begin with, it can do some pretty descent Star Wars content for both the big and the small screen.

Watched Chapter 7, when Quill explained re-programming the droid and it showed the droid trying to pour the Blurgh's slop and missing the slop container and the Blurgh growled in anger, I laughed out loud. Little details like this is what makes this show so fun to watch.

Yoda force choking Cara because of arm wrestling was interesting.

Quioll dying was heartbreaking.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The canon has changed since the movie. It was used during the clone wars. It was used in the novels leading to force awakens. Darth Vader didn't "invent it on the spot" with current canon. How do you know it was the same brand? A doughnut looks like a doughnut even if you buy it from two different brands. Because the product is the same.
    Well I'll give you this - it may not be the Mandalorian's fault that the lore was messed up, could be Clone Wars'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That's actually the least incredible thing about it. SW has always had megacorporations that produce equipment used apparently all throughout the galaxy. It's no stretch at all to think that the same company making the industrial freezer used in Bespin also produces smaller models such as the one on Mando's ship. They could well be the market leader for carbon freezers and sell to everyone and everywhere.
    The "megacorporations" are band-aid lore fixes for problems like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    I saw a lot of headlines today, where folks have been making sure to officially point out that "Baby Yoda" is not actually the younger version of Yoda himself.

I guess it's possible that people don't understand when this takes place vs the movies, but I was pretty sure they called him "Baby Yoda" because the name of the species was never actually given, or as a sort of short hand, rather than believing it was an actual baby Yoda years after 900 year old Yoda's death.

Watiti even said he knows the baby's name but isn't saying... like it matters what the name is at this point? We're not going to like, recognize it!
    Its name is samantha
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

15+ Year Old Account
    Well I'll give you this - it may not be the Mandalorian's fault that the lore was messed up, could be Clone Wars'.
    But it wasn't messed up. I watched episode 5 yesterday unrelated to this discussion. But during the scenes it is implied that Vader isn't creating the method up on the spot. Vader says "they are crude but will do". The lore isn't being butchered at all. Nothing says that it was the created just to capture luke but rather something that Vader had to modify test with the cloud city equipment. Lando even says it will kill han because they use it just for carbon freezing. Which implies that the cloud city system isn't designed for hibernation but other systems exist for that purpose.

Leia in Return of the Jedia even knows the symptoms of hibernation sickness so clearly the effects of living things being frozen in carbonite is known. If the lore as you claim was that Vader invented the process on the spot how would anyone be able to tell what hibernation sickness will do? Solo would literally be the first and only person in the galaxy to ever be frozen in carbonite.

There is also no messing up lore. Both things are lore and empire strikes back did not have to have a retcon in order to make clone wars information true.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2020-01-12 at 08:57 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Is SWTOR/the Old Republic considered cannon? I am simply asking because after watching this series, I went and rolled a bounty hunter to mess around a bit and on the starting planet, before you even hit level 10, there is a quest to rescue someone that is frozen in a gallery of frozen assets that a crime lord has. The individual you bring back even had the same symptoms like the film and they were pretty common knowledge, as the quest giver warned you about them. And that's what, thousands of years before the timeline of the films and the TV series?

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    Is SWTOR/the Old Republic considered cannon? I am simply asking because after watching this series, I went and rolled a bounty hunter to mess around a bit and on the starting planet, before you even hit level 10, there is a quest to rescue someone that is frozen in a gallery of frozen assets that a crime lord has. The individual you bring back even had the same symptoms like the film and they were pretty common knowledge, as the quest giver warned you about them. And that's what, thousands of years before the timeline of the films and the TV series?
    Short answer is no.

Long answer is that it might be some day. They're working on an Old Republic film project, and we've already seen Revan's name attached to The Rise of Skywalker. So they're clearly going to bring some of the stuff over from Legends, we just don't know to which extent or how accurate it'll be to the material already existing.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I think they made SW:ToR into their own timeline, even separate from Legends.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Thanks both for the responses. I guess that means it cannot be taken as evidence of either argument in relation to the carbon freezing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks both for the responses. I guess that means it cannot be taken as evidence of either argument in relation to the carbon freezing.
    Beyond what they said, the modern time period is essentially a "dark age" in the galaxy; the Jedi were in serious decline even before Anakin killed most of what was left, the Republic was shrinking, etc. There was a lot of tech from the Old Republic era that had simply been lost to time.

It may be that the people who came up with carbonite freezing in the modern films found an ancient how-to description of the process that they reverse-engineered, rather than it being an independent development.

If you want to consider the Old Republic stuff canon, it's still not an argument against how things played out in the "modern" canon era.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Beyond what they said, the modern time period is essentially a "dark age" in the galaxy; the Jedi were in serious decline even before Anakin killed most of what was left, the Republic was shrinking, etc. There was a lot of tech from the Old Republic era that had simply been lost to time.

It may be that the people who came up with carbonite freezing in the modern films found an ancient how-to description of the process that they reverse-engineered, rather than it being an independent development.

If you want to consider the Old Republic stuff canon, it's still not an argument against how things played out in the "modern" canon era.
    I think you misunderstood me, the Old Republic being canon in my eyes is in favour of how things played out in "modern" times, not against.

As for the rest that you say, in my mind it's a potential explanation, albeit not entirely convincing, as to why the technology doesn't seem to have moved forward much in all that time. But I guess that's something that all Star Wars games are guilty of: some truly impressive developments in technology in a short amount of (game) time that had they been in the films then the films would have been completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But it wasn't messed up. I watched episode 5 yesterday unrelated to this discussion. But during the scenes it is implied that Vader isn't creating the method up on the spot. Vader says "they are crude but will do".
    That's because they're using industrial carbon freezing that isn't intended for humans. This is exactly why I'm saying it should not look the same as Bespin's carbon freezing units, in order to sell the point that these are less "crude" and intended for live prisoners.

There's also nothing to imply that this is by any means a common method of transporting prisoners, for Mandalorians or anyone else.

It's nostalgia, and conflating elements of the original story.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it isn't. Legends now.

But the Old Republic era is guilty of an awful lot of the same thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    That's because they're using industrial carbon freezing that isn't intended for humans. This is exactly why I'm saying it should not look the same as Bespin's carbon freezing units, in order to sell the point that these are less "crude" and intended for live prisoners. There's also nothing to imply that this is by any means a common method of transporting prisoners, for Mandalorians or anyone else. It's nostalgia, and conflating elements of the original story.
    The equipment to do it does not look the same. A commercially produced doughnut and a homemade doughnut can look exactly the same. According to you however it is impossible for them to look exactly the same. It is not conflating any elements of the original story. It is just you being stubborn and not accepting something as part of the story because you do not want to.

There is nothing wrong with two different pieces of equipment producing the same end product. And it is not nostalgia if it has been used multiple times in several different sources of canon. It was included because it is part of the lore.

5+ Year Old Account
    When I saw Empire in the 80s I always felt that Vader complained that the facility was crude for the carbon freezing, never that he tried something new on the fly. Carbon freezing is something that was done in that galaxy, that's how it came across to me.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The freezing unit and the container for the frozen stuff are too different things. The freezing unit was crude because it was made to bulk freeze inanimate stuff. The container was top notch though and quite standard across the galaxy.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    The container was top notch though and quite standard across the galaxy.
    This is a headcanon.

Not that it really matters, even if it were official it'd still be fanwank intended to paper over a lore inconsistency.