Poll: Burning Crusade in 2021?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    This is just another form of "there aren't enough resources".

The player base won't be divided, because the people who want to play vanilla don't want to play TBC. There's no real conflict. TBC servers won't be taking any significant amount of players away from Vanilla, nor vice-a-versa, because different players want different things.

You're arguing a slippery slope that doesn't actually exist.
    I don't think you understand what i mean.

Lets say, e.g. if wow had 4 million active subs, after classic was released, 1 million of those subs went to mainly play Classic, plus 1 million return players etc. After TBC, wrath, cata, mop, there will be, let's say, 2 million from the remain 3 million retail players go to those different expansions, because just as you said, people prefer differently things.

This will result retail have much less active players. The more expansions there are, the more divided is the player base, and the less active players are in each of them.

Ofc, in theory, it won't change the total sub of wow, but it can possibly results in each version expansion only has few hundred K active players, unless you think those subs can play both old expansion and retail actively.

If retail has fewer and fewer active players, it will has less and less activities, more and more dead servers as a result. And if retail only counts for minority player base and sub income, there is less motivation for blizzard to make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopsnacker View Post
    With the heavy steady decline on classic it won't ever happen, sadly.
    And thankfully this is not true =) So according to that logic TBC servers are confirmed.

Hope OP is banned till end of the year, always starting these shitthreads.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    LOL, this low tier bait is getting old. Since you have made the claim, ill leave it up to you to support your claim that classic has as many or more (LOL!) players than retail. Anything other than data and statistics will be ignored - and remember, many of the measures that classic fanbois tried to use as "proof" of classic having higher player count than retail now show the exact opposite. Strangely, the fanbois have stopped using them as a guide.

A great example being this very forum - including sub forums (which dont include classic) "retail" wow currently has of 5 times as many people viewing the forums compared to classic. This was used as "proof" of classic wows victory over retail by many people, for the 3 days that the classic sub forum had more viewing compared to the retail general sub forum. The funny part being if you included all the retail specific sub forums, retail still had double the viewers compared to classic.

The funny thing is, the only 'proof' anyone can ever bring up is "but look how many people are in this city!" which is even worse of a measure.
    I based my guess that classic had more players than retail on all guilds I was in dying off on retail after the launch of classic, and seeing significantly less players on major hubs when compared to hubs on classic. But that is already months ago, so not sure if things are different now.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    I based my guess that classic had more players than retail on all guilds I was in dying off on retail after the launch of classic, and seeing significantly less players on major hubs when compared to hubs on classic. But that is already months ago, so not sure if things are different now.
    I'll save you the trouble: Things are different now.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    If you don't think sustainability matters to Blizzard in a subscription based video game then I don't know what to tell you. Bursts in subscribers are great but the game keeps itself in business with consistent subscriptions.
    no, MTX is an insane revenue for them. they had similar incomes from world of warcraft at their peak in Wotlk as they did with 1/10th the subs in BFA just because of MTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    Why does everyone say classic is dead? What server are y'all on? Mankrik is PACKED.
    Its not even close to dead. Some people just hate Classic so much that they choose to live in their own delusional world where they want everything they think to be right. My own server is still packed with a lot of guilds and pugs going even outside peak hours.

Please provide some of the numbers you used to come to this conclusion, since it was "mathematically" calculated.
    Do you understand basic algebra? Then you would know what "Variables" mean. You don't need any numbers is my point, and you damn well know that.

If you're going to be stubborn, then let me ask you a question. Which number is larger?

$50,000,000 Vs $0?

That is a general estimate price of development cost via quick research online. 2008 said it was $200 mil for ongoing operating costs of development for Vanilla for 4 years... so I'm estimating that's $50 mil per 1 year of development vs Classic's game development, which is zero, since they needed no development for Classic servers. therefore it's $50 mill vs Zero. Keep in mind this is ongoing costs... not including the actual initial game development costs, of which I would imagine would put it way over the $100 million dollar mark vs Zero.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2020-01-13 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealstegblob View Post
    I don’t think TBC servers will ever happen, unless they actually have backups of the servers available and can just plant them into Classic.

Doing so would create an odd precedent of just where they’d draw a line in re-releasing old expansions.
    the line is where shadowlands subs start to plummet

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Do you understand basic algebra? Then you would know what "Variables" mean. You don't need any numbers is my point, and you damn well know that.
    Oh no......oh dear you didn't just try to say that algebra can provide an output without having any input data did you? Oh God no....

It provides you with the equations / formula, which, WHEN PARTIALLY SUBSTITUTED WITH DATA POINTS, will allow you to calculate for missing data point.

You are squirming. If you are so clever, and such a wiz with algebra, please provide us with the formula you used to calculate the profit. You can't, you are clutching at straws and making up rubbish in the hope no one noticed the gaping chasm in your claim that, with ZERO DATA you have a magical algebra equation that can take no data, and spit out their profit.

Think about what you are saying. Just think about it before you reply, think about what I have asked you to provide and say to yourself "nope, not worth replying, he's called my bluff, I cannot answer his challenge, it's best to just not reply".

Or, if you want to make things worse, reply, but without addressing the fact you have been called out on your obvious lie, instead deflecting and redirecting to a different topic.

Oh no......oh dear you didn't just try to say that algebra can provide an output without having any input data did you? Oh God no....
    Updated my post while you were shitposting, as I was guessing right that you were going to be a stubborn jerk (notice the time of my post Edit as being the exact time you shitposted).

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    the line is where shadowlands subs start to plummet
    As fast as the classic subs, or not quite?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Updated my post while you were shitposting, as I was guessing right that you were going to be a stubborn jerk (notice the time of the Edit as proof being the exact time you shitposted).
    Oh no, you should have kept your cool and just read my post, instead of panicking. You are making shit up, it's glaringly obvious. You claim to understand algebra, and prove it by saying "which number is bigger". You then make some absolutely shocking mistakes. Firstly, you REALLY think development costs havnt changed in 2 decades? You really think classic had zero development costs?

What is it with classic fanatics and outright lies? Why do you think no one will notice the absolute garbage being spewed onto the screen? Nothing you have said has been even remotely accurate - not even close, and yet you claim to have intimate knowledge of the inner financial workings of a multi million dollar company.

Quote Originally Posted by TOM_RUS View Post
    Won't happen. Classic already dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcath View Post
    It's weird reading comments so out of touch with reality that it's frightening.
    not dead, but reeled back alot. many of the key streamers selling classic WOW as "always something to do" are slipping hard with the opposite statements. key streamers playing POE, LOL, GTA, darks souls...etc etc,

many do some classic wow, to anchor some viewers? then within a few hours are shifting to other games. maybe getting paid to play? along with dragging the viewers to other games?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post

not dead, but reeled back alot. many of the key streamers selling classic WOW as "always something to do" are slipping hard with the opposite statements. key streamers playing POE, LOL, GTA, darks souls...etc etc,

many do some classic wow, to anchor some viewers? then within a few hours are shifting to other games. maybe getting paid to play? along with dragging the viewers to other games?
    I personally doubt that Blizzard would be foolish enough to pay for streamers to stream their product at this point (i could be wrong, but i just dont see it happening) however the second part is quite likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumile View Post
    no, MTX is an insane revenue for them. they had similar incomes from world of warcraft at their peak in Wotlk as they did with 1/10th the subs in BFA just because of MTX.
    Do you have some detailed breakdown of Blizzard's income that nobody else has access to?

As fast as the classic subs, or not quite?

- - - Updated - - -
    Classic subs were meant to shrink hard and fast from the very start , the only purpose for the joint sub was to apparently boost WoW as a whole. When the new new will start to fail the new old will be announced to rekindle WoW's dying light

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Classic subs were meant to shrink hard and fast from the very start , the only purpose for the joint sub was to apparently boost WoW as a whole. When the new new will start to fail the new old will be announced to rekindle WoW's dying light
    I know wow is a fantasy game, but that doesn't mean you need to permanently live in a fantasy land. The exact same "classic subs were meant to shrink hard and fast from the very start" can be applied to any expansion release, including SL. You wouldnt apply the same logic though would you, because it doesnt fit your narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    I don't think you understand what i mean.

Lets say, e.g. if wow had 4 million active subs, after classic was released, 1 million of those subs went to mainly play Classic, plus 1 million return players etc. After TBC, wrath, cata, mop, there will be, let's say, 2 million from the remain 3 million retail players go to those different expansions, because just as you said, people prefer differently things.

This will result retail have much less active players. The more expansions there are, the more divided is the player base, and the less active players are in each of them.

Ofc, in theory, it won't change the total sub of wow, but it can possibly results in each version expansion only has few hundred K active players, unless you think those subs can play both old expansion and retail actively.

If retail has fewer and fewer active players, it will has less and less activities, more and more dead servers as a result. And if retail only counts for minority player base and sub income, there is less motivation for blizzard to make it better.
    Boo hoo? Giving players more options to play the game they want resulting in people leaving a game they don't enjoy(that they were only playing becauae there wasn't anything else) isn't a bad thing.

I'm sorry if that results in less players in retail, but if retail sucks so bad it can't keep people's interest, then maybe it SHOULD die. Or put another way: If Retail has to rely on a lack of good alternatives in order to funnel people into playing it, then it doesn't really deserve to have players.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2020-01-13 at 09:59 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    2021 sounds about right for whatever's coming next. Be it BC Classic or Classic+. Guessing we probably get Phase 4 around May/June, Phase 5 probably around the 1 year anniversary, and Phase 6 probably post-Blizzcon (where they'll announce their post-naxx plans) pre-new years.

And there will be something next. Even if the retention wasn't perfect, there's still the fact that subs went up by several million for Classic, and there's still a strong core playerbase.

Classic+ is shaky if retention is low, but I guarantee you they'll do something. Even if it's just dusting off the BC data and making that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pinkz View Post

Streamers were never going to stay and if you're basing Classic's success of variety streamers staying you made a big mistake.

Now the WoW-focused streamers? I guarantee you once they kill N'Zoth and clear a Horrific Vision they'll suddenly be back to hyping up Classic and hating on Retail.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Oh no, you should have kept your cool and just read my post, instead of panicking. You are making shit up, it's glaringly obvious...
    I gave you your figures and I called out your stubbornness - and you just hurl nothing but insults at me instead of rebutting my math or points.

Welcome to the ignore list.