Page 1 of 2
LastLast

your worst written character and best written character

Worst: Anduin
    I have no idea who came up with such a disgusting character. lame soyboy high king this cancer story

Best: Arthas
    incredibly interesting character, dramatic story of a prince who wanted to protect his kingdom, but fell into darkness strong man i love this badass dude

Looking at your thread history I can't help but wonder: What the hell is wrong with you man?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Herald of the Titans Amaterasu65's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Worst: Sylvanas, turned from lovely edgy bitch that acted from the shadows while being very secretive and manipulative to what we got in BFA. Pity cause I was a fan.

Best: Varian or Jaina. Varian was one of the best, if not the best, Alliance characters. Very likeable and respected by both factions. Heroic end, I teared up a little.

Jaina had a very nice psychological rollercoaster going for her. She's one of the strongest mages, had assisted in many battles, tried to alleviate tensions between H&A while also seeking ways to achieve co-existence with her former enemies. She had her justified (imo) hatred phase but she managed to get through it in her BFA questline (which is one my favorite character stories, very detailed and fleshed-out), now she's wary of the Horde but she still tries for peace and worked with Horde characters a lot during 8.2.

Kael'thas would also be a good contender, didn't like how he was dealt with in the Sunwell Plateau patch, but his story hasn't ended yet apparently, so I'm eager to see him in Shadowlands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post
    I have no idea who came up with such a disgusting character. lame soyboy high king this cancer story

incredibly interesting character, dramatic story of a prince who wanted to protect his kingdom, but fell into darkness strong man i love this badass dude
    For a character you claim to hate, you sure spend a lot of your time obsessing over him.

Worst: I feel like Sylvanas is a given, so I'm going to go with Tyrande since at least Sylvanas doesn't play second fiddle to Nathanos. Tyrande had virtually nothing going on in vanilla, when Malfurion returned in Cata her character importance was demoted even further, and then Legion was just the icing on the cake with that ridiculous display in Val'Sharah. The whole "night warrior" thing was a farce. She used to be a favorite, but now I think she may be the most embarrassingly written female character in all of WoW.

Best: Genn. Alliance is generally filled with goody-goodies, so Genn is refreshing. (Sadly, they don't seem terribly interested in developing Moira, who's the only other interesting character in the faction.) He has solid reasons for being the way he is and he's not bound by whatever Anduin wants. Side note: Even though I'm not a fan of Anduin, I do love the surrogate father/son relationship they have.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Looking at your thread history I can't help but wonder: What the hell is wrong with you man?
    I checked OP's started threads, i laughed.

Either Alleria or Jaina are my favourites. I am personally biased towards Alleria because I have very fond memories of 7.3 and her Mac'aree questline (also I already liked her before her reintroduction in Legion because she was a ruthless and vicious patriot and in total contrast with the stereotypical wise and benevolent high elves), but Jaina is also a really good character who received some of the best development in Warcraft. I don't really have anything against her character. They both share first and second place.

Worst written character is probably Tyrande, I personally don't get what Blizzard wants to do with this character. They give her a super awesome power-up in BfA then she hardly accomplishes anything and disappears in 8.1. She's not on the same level as Sylvanas in the sense that I want to see more of her. While Sylvanas needs to fuck off because she has stolen enough spotlight already, I'd like to see more of Tyrande's vengeful side, but BfA was a letdown as far as her character is concerned. I am interested to see what kind of development she'll receive in Shadowlands. I suppose I don't really hate her, but I think her writing in recent years is a complete letdown. She was somewhat badass in Legion when she saw through Thalyssra's holier than thou BS and stated cold hard facts about her similarities with Elisande, but that's about it.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-01-13 at 01:48 PM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst written character? I am going with Anduin. He's just too perfect and nice, I simply don't believe that he is the leader of one of the two major factions.

The best written character was Garrosh. Believable motivations that inspired a measure of empathy combined with his monstrous atrocities created one of WoW's mot memorable villain. The only hiccup was the jarring out of character honor speech in Stonetalon, but I am putting that down to him realising his general had gone too far too fast and he wasn't yet at the point where he was prepared to completely alienate the Tauren over the bombing there.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry123 View Post

Best: Jaina. Even if her Anduin-isation at the end of BfA is pretty meh, her overall arc is one of the most interesting in WoW, aside from being one of the most proactive Alliance characters (which is a big plus there).

Honourable mentions: Garrosh and Velen.

Worst: Sylvanas. This whole 5D chess grand master, moustache-twirling villain she's been written as... is incredibly lame. Way to ruin one of the most interesting characters from WC3.

Honourable mentions: Anduin and Saurfang.
    Last edited by Soon-TM; 2020-01-13 at 02:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Best:

Sylvanas ... from meek little elf to queen, to power house to who knows what.

Worst:

Anduin ... a boy, then suddenly a king ... not sure what his story really is.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Worst: Sylvanas.

Best: Varian.

Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    The only hiccup was the jarring out of character honor speech in Stonetalon, but I am putting that down to him realising his general had gone too far too fast and he wasn't yet at the point where he was prepared to completely alienate the Tauren over the bombing there.
    Haha yeah, I always play Stonetalon on my alts and I always laugh when he appears and does his speech knowing what he will do in the future.
    For me he's a close second after Arthas for best character.

Worst is Sylvanas. BfA and Shadowlands (as far as we know already) completely destroyed her.
    This whole 5D chess grand master, moustache-twirling villain she's been written as... is incredibly lame.
    It wouldn't be that bad if her plans didn't make her look as if she was throwing random tantrums and if she didn't contradict herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galathir View Post
    Haha yeah, I always play Stonetalon on my alts and I always laugh when he appears and does his speech knowing what he will do in the future.
    They admitted that was a result of parts of the staff not talking with each other, the only way to rationalise it is that he didn't think the general was wrong, but that he will still on tiptoes after the whole Cairne incident and didn't want to provoke the Tauren too soon. As his arrogance and hubris grew however, he ran out of fucks to give on that point.

Worst The new Sylvannas with her boi toy, bossy Tyrande with no spine Malfurion

Best: Old Thrall, Illidan,

7+ Year Old Account
    Worst: All but one.

Best: Gallywix.

I assume we are just doing major characters so I don't have to bring up Med'an as the obvious pick.

Best: Arthas, one of the very few major characters who had a solid story arc with an ending to it, without dragging it down like with most of todays characters

Worst: My very cliché anwer will be post-WotLK Sylvanas for being to much of Blizzards poster girl

The Mary Sues are all bad and will never die. See Thrall or, well, Sylvannas. At the end, she will be illidanized, and become a good girl.

Best - Garrosh

Worst - Malfurion

Malfurion is such a badly written character that writers themselves don't know what to do with him. One day he's on par with Archimonde and Azshara, the next he's getting kidnapped by random elves or Xavius' shadow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worst: Sylvanas (fuck that bitch)

Best: Varian

The worst written character is probably Anduin. I mean, considering that Christie Golden already stated, that he is supposed to be some kind of non-toxic male role model, he even fails his very purpose as a character as he comes off as this kind of closeted misogynist nice guys who constantly fall back into using misogynist tropes. Like, you know, presenting justified female anger as women being mentally unstable, as he did with Tyrande when he presented her as consumed by vengeance for demanding justice for her people who just suffered a genocide and where driven out of their ancestral home lands. And all he kinda accomplishes is hurting the Alliance Storyline and my personal feelings of Alliance pride, forcing other character I actually enjoy to bend their personalities to make him look wise and right, like they did with Jaina, Genn or Moira and telling us rather much about the developers and writers screwed sense of morality. Like how instead of supporting his military ally who was entitled to his troops, befriending a war criminal and leading architect of two genocidal wars, one attempted genocidal war which his side lost and one war which ended up in the forced displacement of the people of Stormwind (which is in fact a crime against humanity in real life) and then lending him his entire troop strength instead. He is just supposed to be this perfect righteous, wise, non toxic male hero, but he just fails in accomplishing this for anyone who is able to critical review a character and instead comes off as a morally disgusting narcissist who does everything in life to bolster his own hype and perception as this moral leader wise beyond his years.

I think the best written character is probably Maiev. There isn't much about her, but I like her general character as this rough lawful neutral female Judge Dredd who is just able to stay consistent with her character over the years.