Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Wow it actually looks like a diaper.. thanks for this.

I hate gnomes, but I mean this is a thing since 2005 and going strong. Mechagnomes look rediculous and its going to become even worse.
    I play a Gnome mage and I like them, so it's not just all "Gnome haters" who dislike Junker Gnomes. That's just a thought-terminating cliché thrown out by seething Junker Gnome fans. Even as somebody who plays a regular Gnome, I have 0 interest in rerolling to a Junker Gnome, except for, as mentioned before, possibly one that I can just keep covered up with heritage armor and pretend to be fully mechanized.

Honestly though, most vicious attitudes toward Gnomes in general are just people piggybacking from memes and people spouting hatred. They just want to jump on that bandwagon. Ive never veered my love for the Gnomes since ive met one back in 2007 when I first started playing. Love that race since day 1. Most em them just hate the race 'just because'. No true logic reasoning. Just flat out carried hatred by what they heard and want to be a part of some crowd. Its stupid, really.

I tried to cover up the face of my nightborne cus they fucked their eyes up, but you will eventually race change because of this. Its a never ending thing and it alwqys botherd me.
    I guess so. I still want to try.

But I won't bother for a long while, definitely not before Shadowlands. I'm in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    There's a non-trivial amount of people that don't like the idea of having their last allied race be more Gnomey Gnomes that are amputees wearing diapers, tied to a Horde equivalent built on a Horde Goblin rig but otherwise presented as its own species, with the only possible overlap being maybe the 'scamp'ish nature that the Vulpera if you really stretch the imagination.

It's post 2018 so naturally, if a good amount of people don't like a thing and voice it, that's toxicity in our brave new world.
    There is also the problem of them by virtue of being gnomes having a very niche audiences, considering how unpopular gnomes are and due to the Alliance allied races being generally dissapointing so far, while the Horde at the same time got basically anything they wanted. Like, with Void elves I still believe that it would have been the better and more well received choice of making their enthropic embrace void form their standart form, as it would have been something unique and different and giving them the ability to shift into a High Elf Form out of combat, just like Alleria can. Light Forged Draenei are basically just Draenei with Tattoos and some better hairstyles and horns, with no real differences to the normal Draenei, instead of letting us recruit Yrel from alternative Draenor and her uniting her Lightbound Forces with the Army of Light. Dark Iron Dwarves where nice, but could have been a costumization option, especially since it kinda feels shit, considering that they are not a new ally who bolstered the Alliance ranks in BFA but already in the Alliance since Cataclysm. And Kul Tirans, with their background of being kinda half-vrykul, are kind of a fuck you considering that there was always a demand for playable Vrykul Models, yet instead they gave the Alliance fat humans.

On the other Hand, Horde Alliance races where basically everything the Horde could have asked for. I mean, the two new races from Legion with whole zones full of lore and story, in the case of the Nightborn even probably the best Storyline in modern WoW, they got Mag'har Orcs who are basically multiple Orc Races in one as they have all the clan skins and who have probably the visually most impressive set ever with their Grom Hellscream lookalike armor in three different colors. And the Zandalari where a fairly popular race since MoP. I mean, the Kul Tirans even look more pathetic compared to the Zandalari considering that outside of their main villain, not a single one of their important characters is presented as a fat human, so with them I actually feel bad about them being their own allied race instead of just getting the their set for humans and being able to play a normal human Kul Tiran in that outfit.

I think Mechagnomes wouldn't be nowhere as controversial, if the roster of allied races wouldn't have been so dissapointed and far removed from anything the Alliance would have wanted so far.
    Last edited by Rhidana; 2020-01-13 at 04:36 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I play a Gnome mage and I like them, so it's not just all "Gnome haters" who dislike Junker Gnomes. That's just a thought-terminating cliché thrown out by seething Junker Gnome fans. Even as somebody who plays a regular Gnome, I have 0 interest in rerolling to a Junker Gnome, except for, as mentioned before, possibly one that I can just keep covered up with heritage armor and pretend to be fully mechanized.
    Yea, but since there is like 1 transmog option for people like.. how long will you last with it? I mean I change my transmog every 2 days or so..

Edit: didnt see your quote post.. so ignore this

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Pull head out of ass and compare vulpera to goblins. They're just goblins in orange with a tail.

On another note, is there a vulpera hate club? I'd like to join.
    Mechagnomes are literally Gnomes that split off, were so whacky they wanted to un-curse of flesh themselves and then decided the best alternative was to replace their limbs with tech. Take Gnomes, take their knob from an 7 or 8 and turn it to 11, Mechagnomes. They're just more extreme versions of regular Gnomes.

Vulpera are not just a form of Goblin. The only similarity they have with Goblins is the animation rig and maybe a little bit of the 'scamp' aesthetic, but that's all. They aren't just Goblins that traveled to Vol'dun, grew hair and became Vulpera.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, but since there is like 1 transmog option for people like.. how long will you last with it? I mean I change my transmog every 2 days or so..

Edit: didnt see your quote post.. so ignore this
    I really don't know how much the vanity of pretending to play a robot will last. Technically, if there's ever gear with a similar aesthetic and color scheme, I could switch to that for an alternative? Uldir gear has a similar kind of look, but it's not saturated enough to fit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockybalboa View Post
    So not shilling=being toxic? Horde get a brand new race while we get a fucking reskinned model of one of the least played race in the game. Fair deal ey?

More or less, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Not really. Most people were very hyped for Void Elves, so much so that they are the most played Legion allied race by far. The people who complained were just the diehard BEs and HEs fans, so a fraction of the lore community.
    They are the most played allied race because they are the only alliance one that doesn't look like shit. They have less than half the numbers they would have if they were high elves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhidana View Post
    There is also the problem of them by virtue of being gnomes having a very niche audiences, considering how unpopular gnomes are and due to the Alliance allied races being generally dissapointing so far, while the Horde at the same time got basically anything they wanted. Like, with Void elves I still believe that it would have been the better and more well received choice of making their enthropic embrace void form their standart form, as it would have been something unique and different and giving them the ability to shift into a High Elf Form out of combat, just like Alleria can. Light Forged Draenei are basically just Draenei with Tattoos and some better hairstyles and horns, with no real differences to the normal Draenei, instead of letting us recruit Yrel from alternative Draenor and her uniting her Lightbound Forces with the Army of Light. Dark Iron Dwarves where nice, but could have been a costumization option, especially since it kinda feels shit, considering that they are not a new ally who bolstered the Alliance ranks in BFA but already in the Alliance since Cataclysm. And Kul Tirans, with their background of being kinda half-vrykul, are kind of a fuck you considering that there was always a demand for playable Vrykul Models, yet instead they gave the Alliance fat humans.

On the other Hand, Horde Alliance races where basically everything the Horde could have asked for. I mean, the two new races from Legion with whole zones full of lore and story, in the case of the Nightborn even probably the best Storyline in modern WoW, they got Mag'har Orcs who are basically multiple Orc Races in one as they have all the clan skins and who have probably the visually most impressive set ever with their Grom Hellscream lookalike armor in three different colors. And the Zandalari where a fairly popular race since MoP. I mean, the Kul Tirans even look more pathetic compared to the Zandalari considering that outside of their main villain, not a single one of their important characters is presented as a fat human, so with them I actually feel bad about them being their own allied race instead of just getting the their set for humans and being able to play a normal human Kul Tiran in that outfit.

I think Mechagnomes wouldn't be nowhere as controversial, if the roster of allied races wouldn't have been so dissapointed and far removed from anything the Alliance would have wanted so far.
    Personally, I believe that not a lot of people who don't like Gnomes are going to go and play a Junker Gnome. I play a Gnome and I'm not really all that endeared by Junker Gnomes either, so possibly, not every Gnome fan will play Junker Gnome either. So that already makes them sound niche in theory.

Personally, I think there's a cutoff point for allied races where people, at least myself, started expecting more from them. The four 7.3.5 races? Yes, they were mostly customization options for existing races except Nightborne and even those weren't that novel compared to Night Elves, but those were the first allied races, Blizzard testing the waters. Lightforged are more or less more extreme Draenei, though, and this is relevant later on when we get to Junker Gnomes.

Then we got Dark Irons and Mag'har in 8.0, personally speaking, I considered these filler. I can't look into Blizzard's plans for BfA, but it is implied that Kul Tirans being made into an allied race pushed back Zandalari with them so they could be introduced simultaneously. That means Dark Irons and Mag'har essentially gave people a race to go to in the meantime because a lot of people expected to play Zandalari at release back then. They are also pretty much equivalent in terms of work put into them and uniqueness, so I didn't mind that.

However, Kul Tirans and Zandalari changed the game. Kul Tirans may not be my favorite race- far from it, but they have more or less a unique rig, unique model and all that jazz. Zandalari, at least the males, are built on the Night Elf rig, but given a lot of custom anims-- some of them from Isle of Thunder, some of them from BfA. They were also clearly not just regular Trolls, and they were a highly anticipated race and desired for a long time.

Now we get to Vulpera and Junker Gnomes. Neither of the two particularly pulls me in. I'll unlock them, but I'm not really eager to play either. But the problem here, for me is, that they're not equal. Vulpera are very much their own thing, even if they were initially built upon a Goblin rig. They're not just Goblins who grew fur.

Mechagnomes on the other hand are pretty much what Lightforged Draenei are to regular Draenei. They're a more extreme version of the base race. Take a Gnome, usually with some fascination towards technology as Gnomes tend to have, then bloat that way up in a borderline obsession and you get Gnomes that are whacky enough to replace major parts of their body with tech. They don't particularly fill a niche that wasn't already filled by Gnomes, they just intrude in on the Gnomish niche that already existed and scream "Hey, we do it way better!"

And that's why I fear that with the little/minimal love Gnomes get in the story, the little they might get in the future will be stolen by Junker Gnomes, with their "superior" tech.

To OP, nah, just means Mechagnomes aren't to their tastes. Def are to mine, though, I've been wanting to play one since they were announced at Blizzcon!

About Velves: I always got the impression they were played by a lot of folks for the fact that it's the Belf model on Alli side. Even as someone who thinks their Velf lore is stupid and out of nowhere, I have a few.
    Times y'all got me with that dang Eye of Azshara Login Screen: 7

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    They are the most played allied race because they are the only alliance one that doesn't look like shit. They have less than half the numbers they would have if they were high elves.
    Actually no you are wrong, according to my sources they would actually be EVEN MORE PLAYED if they did not look like purple high elves.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    More "this is what I see/think, so surely that's how it is/will be everywhere!" please..
    Or we can look at the evidence. Here's census data from active 120s broken down by Faction -

You can see that for Horde, Zandalari already have a good representation nearing that of Undead.
    The other allied races (bar Highmountain) have about 4% representation, beating Pandas and bringing them level to Goblins. Not bad for some races that have barely been with us more than a year.

You can see from Alliance that Void Elf have been very popular, and they're more popular than Dwarf, Gnomes and Worgen already.

BUT, all of the other Allied races have half the amount of representation as the Horde ones do. They simply aren't as popular. While Zanalari have been popular, Kul Tirans are easily the least played race in the entire game.

It's obvious from the data that there simply isn't the same interest in most of the Alliance allied races as there has been for the Horde.

Gnomes were already one of the least played original races in game. There are currently more people playing Highmountain Tauren in game than there are playing gnomes. Making a gnome variant seems entirely redundant.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    I just have to comment on that 666 on Draenei.

Eredar confirmed.
    Last edited by Yarathir; 2020-01-13 at 05:35 PM.

I just have to common on that 666 on Draenei.

Eredar confirmed.
    Well to be honest, I expect they would have been a lot more popular than Mechagnomes (and Lightforged Draenei which seem to be completely redundant imo.)
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Well to be honest, I expect they would have been a lot more popular than Mechagnomes (and Lightforged Draenei which seem to be completely redundant imo.)
    Honestly, I'd rather have had Broken than Lightforged Draenei.

Lightforged Draenei are just more extreme Draenei and they kinda steal cool horn customization options from their base race cousins to make matters worse.

Gnomes were already one of the least played original races in game. There are currently more people playing Highmountain Tauren in game than there are playing gnomes. Making a gnome variant seems entirely redundant.
    I'm pretty shook by that graph TBH. NIGHTBORNE tied with goblins?! I blame that they still haven't fixed the eyes. Also goblins managing to beat mag'har orcs, I had thought those were pretty popular for their high quality breadth of customization options. Also definitely shoots down this idea that WoW's overwhelmed with furries, even adding all fur-having races together across both factions that's 24%, not even close to blood elves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I'm pretty shook by that graph TBH. NIGHTBORNE tied with goblins?! I blame that they still haven't fixed the eyes. Also goblins managing to beat mag'har orcs, I had thought those were pretty popular for their high quality breadth of customization options. Also definitely shoots down this idea that WoW's overwhelmed with furries, even adding all fur-having races together across both factions that's 24%, not even close to blood elves.
    Yeah, the ingame playable Nightborne are pretty meh, and sadly I don't see Blizzard fixing it soon, if at all.

Or we can look at the evidence. Here's census data from active 120s broken down by Faction -

You can see that for Horde, Zandalari already have a good representation nearing that of Undead.
    The other allied races (bar Highmountain) have about 4% representation, beating Pandas and bringing them level to Goblins. Not bad for some races that have barely been with us more than a year.

You can see from Alliance that Void Elf have been very popular, and they're more popular than Dwarf, Gnomes and Worgen already.

BUT, all of the other Allied races have half the amount of representation as the Horde ones do. They simply aren't as popular. While Zanalari have been popular, Kul Tirans are easily the least played race in the entire game.

It's obvious from the data that there simply isn't the same interest in most of the Alliance allied races as there has been for the Horde.

Does it really matter if a race isn't the most in demand? Are you saying that blizzard should simply cave to every popular interest?

snip
    So basically that means this game is just Humans & elves and some other random minorities!

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    So basically that means this game is just Humans & elves and some other random minorities!
    Z-Zandalari are doing really well for the brief time they've been playable.

Those aren't elves! Even if they kind of are..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RayoftheSun View Post
    Does it really matter if a race isn't the most in demand? Are you saying that blizzard should simply cave to every popular interest?
    Exactly this.