Poll: Which is better, 8.3 or 7.3?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Were you more excited for 7.3 or 8.3?

Cast your mind back to 7.3 and what was coming - legendary changes, crucible, Argus, Turalyon & Alleria, Anchorus, Invasions, Army of the Light, Xe'ra and Illidan, Conclusion of the Class order , artifact and a bunch of storylines. New tier, sets, legendaries Antorus trinkets, Eredar history - what were your fond memories and most excited for feature s(even if they didn't turn out that way?)

Now 8.3 is tomorrow, are you as excited or even more ? It's a huge content patch as well, I don't think there is a zone this time, but lots of features, and gameplay additions to the Azerite necklace, new legendary cloak, corrupted gear features. Wrathion, Vulpera, Mechagnomes, Invasions and Ny'alothaa.

Which do you prefer?

-- EDIT---

Verdict: 8.3 feels a lot thinner, and buggier by some margin. They reused 2 old zones instead of give new zones, and those 2 zones weren't even updated (like the warfront zones for Arathi and darkshore) this is especially alarming because blizzard had started giving new zones for patches - it reminds me of low sub mmos or failing ones who re-use a lot more content rather than give you new ones, and blizzard was very good for doing lots of new stuff.

If they don't turn their ship around, I fear 10.0 would be the least packed expansion of all time, and will be the evidence of a decline, and the subs will drop which the cheap execs will say is an indciation that cutting costs was the right choice, but we all know that it is the cuts that lead to poorer quality material which led to reduced subs.

Final Verdict: 8.3 is alright, it's not any more or less exciting, but then 8.2 was a huge jump from 8.1, so 8.3 would have been hard pressed to do the same. It is new content however, and lots of things to do, lots of repeaat features. So I'll give it that.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2020-01-18 at 08:21 PM.

7.3 by far. Kinda hard to beat the hype for Argus... 8.3 is just reskinned zones we've already been to.

Neither.

Both patches are an ending to long anticipated storylines. And both suck in that regard. Argus was undewhelming and a waste of something that should have been its own expansion. 2/3 of zones were dull and aestetically unpleasant. Mac'Aree was a saving grace, but still, it's too little. That broken draenei faction surviving there for thousands of years was ridiculous, with "tHosAnD yEaRs WaR" being the nail in the coffin. Alleria for god knows what reason possessing void powers was also weird and unnecessary imo, but I know a certain fan of her would beg to differ. I guess the dungeon was ok, while the raid was another misunderstanding. This also pushed us, the players, to unimaginable power level and plot armor (which BfA only furthered)... and then we go back to feeding hyenas some meat so that we can collect their shit?

With 8.3... is there even a new dungeon introduced? I don't think so. Again, a storyline so grand, yet wasted for a patch. Ny'alotha isn't even a zone and half of that storyline is for some a huge retcon, for some "subverting expectations". It also introduces yet another grind/power up system, which we can throw into the pile of already existing ones.

I guess the fact that we'll be able to fly during some / all of the content (didnt check enough to know) is making it a bit better than 7.3. Still, both patches, despite the implications of their culmination, are uneventful, dull, and another "welp, more of the same old I guess".

I dont want to sound pessimistic (though I'm sure I did), just... Feels like they lost the spark that made this game epic, and all they care about now is endless grind and the "gotcha" moments.

EDIT: On the other hand, 7.3 had likeable characters like Velen and Illidan (despite his edgyness). 8.3 has Wrathion, yes, but Magni is probably the most boring and annoying modern character, and combined with MOTHER they make the most ridiculous deux ex machina there ever was. So the patches kind of even out to just dull and boring despite great story potential.
    Last edited by TickTickTick; 2020-01-13 at 09:00 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    7.3 without a doubt. Even if Old Gods are one of my favourite stories in WoW, I can't force myself to be hyped with !@$%ing N'yalotha. One of my most anticipated zones ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

8.3. Wrathion is coming back!
    change can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Neither.

Both patches are an ending to long anticipated storylines. And both suck in that regard. Argus was undewhelming and a waste of something that should have been its own expansion. 2/3 of zones were dull and aestetically unpleasant. Mac'Aree was a saving grace, but still, it's too little. That broken draenei faction surviving there for thousands of years was ridiculous, with "tHosAnD yEaRs WaR" being the nail in the coffin. Alleria for god knows what reason possessing void powers was also weird and unnecessary imo, but I know a certain fan of her would beg to differ. I guess the dungeon was ok, while the raid was another misunderstanding. This also pushed us, the players, to unimaginable power level and plot armor (which BfA only furthered)... and then we go back to feeding hyenas some meat so that we can collect their shit?

With 8.3... is there even a new dungeon introduced? I don't think so. Again, a storyline so grand, yet wasted for a patch. Ny'alotha isn't even a zone and half of that storyline is for some a huge retcon, for some "subverting expectations". It also introduces yet another grind/power up system, which we can throw into the pile of already existing ones.

I guess the fact that we'll be able to fly during some / all of the content (didnt check enough to know) is making it a bit better than 7.3. Still, both patches, despite the implications of their culmination, are uneventful, dull, and another "welp, more of the same old I guess".

I dont want to sound pessimistic (though I'm sure I did), just... Feels like they lost the spark that made this game epic, and all they care about now is endless grind and the "gotcha" moments.

EDIT: On the other hand, 7.3 had likeable characters like Velen and Illidan (despite his edgyness). 8.3 has Wrathion, yes, but Magni is probably the most boring and annoying modern character, and combined with MOTHER they make the most ridiculous deux ex machina there ever was. So the patches kind of even out to just dull and boring despite great story potential.
    +1

I would like to add that Legion at least had excellent 7.0 + 7.1 patches....BFA had neither. It was a bad expansion from start to finish, with 8.2 being the only part that was tolerable to a certain degree. In a vacuum, i think 8.3 is doing N'Zoth more justice than 7.3 did to the Legion/Sargeras. But the overall failure as an expansion makes it hard to even mention this.

8.3, without a doubt. I'm a transmogger and being able to finally Transmog Legendaries, all I need!

Not hyped about 8.3, but i disliked Argus and that horrible raid so much that I have to vote for 8.3.

Legion was at its best when Nighthold and Trial of Valor were current content. Tomb and Antorus were a disapointment and we can pretend Emerald Nightmare never happened.

Also, the Kara 5 man (7.2?) was way better than Seat in 7.3
    Last edited by Ragnarohk; 2020-01-13 at 09:26 PM.

7.3 was a big patch but it was also very heavily gated, which kind of ruined it for me. 8.3 doesn't seem to offer much new other than the raid itself, so I guess my vote is neither.

About the same.

I didn't care at all for Argus the zone but I can acknowledge was higher effort than 8.3. NLC was boring, Corrupt gear looks okay. Just going off raids alone I guess Ny'alotha looks more interesting to me.

8.3. The moment I found out we weren't fighting Sargeras, the end of Legion was dead in the water to me. Even with N'zoth and Ny'alotha just being instanced/alternate future, at least we're actually fighting the son of a bitch. Plus, 8.3 has allied races, 7.3 didn't if I remember correctly, Lightforged/VE/Mag'har/Nightborne didn't come out until the following patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I put a tie, but then I remembered 8.3 comes with Vulpera. So definitely 7.3.

8.3 is the patch I wish never happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    8.3. The moment I found out we weren't fighting Sargeras, the end of Legion was dead in the water to me. Even with N'zoth and Ny'alotha just being instanced/alternate future, at least we're actually fighting the son of a bitch. Plus, 8.3 has allied races, 7.3 didn't if I remember correctly, Lightforged/VE/Mag'har/Nightborne didn't come out until the following patch.
    I see this a lot from people and I always think the same thing: how on earth were we going to fight a guy that can split a planet like a watermelon with his asteroid-sized sword? Fly up his nose with gnomish jetpacks and dps his brain cells*?

* for the record I would totally be on board with that

To answer the OP's question, 8.3. Fighting N'zoth is a much bigger deal than a world-soul we hadn't even heard of until 7.3 (at least I never saw any mention of Argus having one, much less it still being alive), there are awesome transmog options, 2 new races, a legendary that isn't smothered in obnoxious RNG, a new activity that can be done solo or with friends, and some other stuff.

Honestly I'm more excited about 8.3 than I am Shadowlands.
    Last edited by Mirishka; 2020-01-14 at 10:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh, none, honestly. 8.3 more than 7.3. I like kicking old gods more than Titans.

Though, sad no cutscene for the patch.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

/10legions

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I see this a lot from people and I always think the same thing: how on earth were we going to fight a guy that can split a planet like a watermelon with his asteroid-sized sword? Fly up his nose with gnomish jetpacks and dps his brain cells*?

* for the record I would totally be on board with that

To answer the OP's question, 8.3. Fighting N'zoth is a much bigger deal than a world-soul we hadn't even heard of until 7.3 (at least I never saw any mention of Argus having one, much less it still being alive), there are awesome transmog options, 2 new races, a legendary that isn't smothered in obnoxious RNG, a new activity that can be done solo or with friends, and some other stuff.

Honestly I'm more excited about 8.3 than I am Shadowlands.
    I think the way blizzard handled defeating Sargeras was good, as you say, how else are you going to defeat someone like that? It felt genuine, an impossible chance, made possible in an acceptable way.

The way they used the titans etc, what could have used more explanation however was us defeating Argus form. Were we enhanced by the titans and by how we were transported to the seat of the Pantheon? Then there is Aggramar.

But titans are far more powerful than old gods. But maybe their souls are a different matter?

Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    Neither.

MeChAgOn Is BeInG sPliT iNtO tWo PaRtS!!111!11

7.3 defintely. 8.3 isn't gonna bring anything near as exciting as 7.3. We were getting a whole new planet alongside great storytelling with that patch.
    Now we just get 2 rehashed zones.

It's a bit sad when what I'm excited for most is the new AH... That is the last piece of the puzzle in the way of cross realm trading.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    7.3 was more hype. Felt like when you walk to the alien planet in Half Life. 8.3 is fine as fuck tho.

To counter it, 8.2 was leagues more exciting than 7.2 and the Broken Shore - land of green and lime.