Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remind me why I should watch a video from a guy that destroyed one of the largest political parties in the UK because he thought it was a good idea to insult another PM and then say "nigger" unflitered in front of thousands of people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    How on Earth was Demolition Man's setting "leftist"?

Deep class divides and inequality are right-wing goals.
    Moral panics about cussing and sexuality are almost exclusively from puritanical right-wingers.
    The Taco Bell stuff is corporatism, which leans right, not left.

There's nothing about that setting that in any respect suggests it's an expression of left-wing views.
    Professional philosophy is a racket of alcohol soaked white dudes smugly devising increasingly self-serving principles without bothering to analyse the foundational assumptions on which their bullshit is constructed, change my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

White supremacists are giving movie reviews, now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sygmar View Post
    Did you watch the vid?
    I've watched Demolition Man.

If you think that's a "leftist utopia", you have no idea what left-wing values are. I really don't care if you're misconstruing Sargon's argument (I doubt it, honestly), or if he's the one who's making this ridiculous claim. It remains a ridiculous claim, whoever the author may be.

I did flip through it. He consistently points to things like the overarching police state as if that's "left-wing", but those kinds of social controls are largely right-wing concepts. They invade the human rights and freedoms that form the core of left-wing values. Same for the attack on the anti-swearing censors; protecting free speech is a core left-wing value.

Edgar Friendly (character in the movie):

You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green jello all over my body reading playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

--------------------

yeah...the bolded must be the OP...

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I've watched Demolition Man.

If you think that's a "leftist utopia", you have no idea what left-wing values are. I really don't care if you're misconstruing Sargon's argument (I doubt it, honestly), or if he's the one who's making this ridiculous claim. It remains a ridiculous claim, whoever the author may be.

I did flip through it. He consistently points to things like the overarching police state as if that's "left-wing", but those kinds of social controls are largely right-wing concepts. They invade the human rights and freedoms that form the core of left-wing values. Same for the attack on the anti-swearing censors; protecting free speech is a core left-wing value.
    So you didn't watch the vid. Ok.

Why would people watch a video of a white supremacist?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Only 27 years late. :P
    When will they realize, that the Ewoks were inspired by the northern Vietnamese? Should we tell them? Will RotJ soon be leftist propaganda?

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Ah yes, the old "He's not a leftist, so he's a white supremacist", "You're either with us, or you're against us", "0 or 1".

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Only 27 years late. :P
    When will they realize, that the Ewoks were inspired by the northern Vietnamese? Should we tell them? Will RoJ soon be leftist propaganda?
    Hell, they’re insulted that the Empire is based on the Nazis

10+ Year Old Account
    You literally quoted me saying I did watch enough of the video to note where Sargon was lying about basic principles.

I don't need to watch the whole thing and gather together every lie he tells to be able to grasp that he's lying. A couple lies that come immediately to light is plenty.

Translation: Orange man bad.
    Translation: Orange man good. Seems like the real TDS is ignoring all his bad and glorifying the good.

Hey, it seems "Impeach the motherfucker" is the hottest thing around here in terms of avatars and signatures. I'm just playing the game. Or is it about the Leftist creed: "Rules for thee, but not for me"?
    It started the day Trump took office and now has snowballed in to a partisan impeachment that is going to end with no removal. This has nothing to do with the demolition man, please stay on topic, I will help.

Would you eat a rat burger if it was the only meat available?

Ah yes, the old "He's not a leftist, so he's a white supremacist".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Benjamin

"Patreon banned Benjamin in December 2018, when he was earning over US$12,000 a month.[4] According to Patreon, Benjamin violated the site's rules on hate speech by using "racial and homophobic slurs to degrade another individual."[18][19] A number of users, including Sam Harris, Jordan Peterson, and Dave Rubin left the platform following the ban of Benjamin. Harris stated that he did not "share the politics of the banned members," but objected to what he described as "political bias" on Patreon. As part of their explanation for why they dropped Benjamin, Patreon published a transcript of a YouTube video in which Benjamin stated that members of the alt-right were "acting like white niggers" because "[e]xactly how you describe black people acting is the impression I get dealing with the Alt-Right." He added that: "White people are meant to be polite and respectful to one another."[20] Later in the video, Benjamin stated: "don’t expect me to have a debate with one of your faggots."[21] In response, Benjamin has said that his targets were not black or homosexual, and he claimed that the word "nigger" is not offensive in Britain as it is in the United States.[21] Benjamin also claimed that the comments had been taken out of context."

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    It started the day Trump took office and now has snowballed in to a partisan impeachment that is going to end with no removal. This has nothing to do with the demolition man, please stay on topic, I will help.

Would you eat a rat burger if it was the only meat available?
    No idea. Maybe? Like I'm not obsessed with eating meat or anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've actually watched it and I've been subbed to him since 2014. I stopped watching him because he decided it would be a good idea to run for office and the only thing he succeeded in doing is running the party he was going with into the ground because of the stupidity of the shit he's said online. He's horrible with public relations thinking that "normies" are somehow as relatable as his subscribers when as soon as they see some of his worst clips they will never even consider voting for him even if he did apologize. I'm not going to pretend I'm better but I have the sensibility to remain fucking anonymous.

Carl is a ponce. He's misconstrued the entire foundation of the movie of it being a "left-wing" utopia when he ignores the fact that the movie came out when George Bush 1 was president. It can also be argued that the closer you go to the other end of the spectrum the more things one side argues for the more they look the same anyway. You can misconstrue almost anything to "predict the future."

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, if you want a summary of it with much more nuance and care.... it's much better as a criticism of online culture and extremists, not of a much more complicated and multifaceted political position. Both liberals and conservatives have plenty of extremists to go around. I mean, you have a far right religious group trying to censor a company for using the word damn (yes I said it). Don't try telling me that political correctness is a lefty thing.

(around 23:10 for the point of interest)
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2020-01-13 at 10:02 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    This was a fun movie that brought the great line from Sandra Bullock: "You really licked his ass"

Also every restaurant being Taco Bell.

I did not watch the video, I could care less, but wanted to comment on demolition man.
    There were some doosies in that film - also grabbing early talent like Bullock was a nice touch. Entertaining movie, although I understand the "remake" was more, um, severe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I mean, if you want a summary of it with much more nuance and care.... it's much better as a criticism of online culture and extremists, not of a much more complicated and multifaceted political position.
    "Nuance and care" and Doug Walker do not belong in the same taxonomic class, let alone sentence.

It's fairly telling as to how bad Sargon's takes are by comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

No sex allowed OP...No "fluid transfer."
    Not even to kiss....might get pregnant, or so such thinking goes in your shiny hiney world.