Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    So far the unstoppable LSU is looking very stoppable, and Clemson is driving against the LSU defense unlike anything Clemson has seen.

This is exactly why I don't hold much faith in the eye test and am very much an advocate for settling it on the field. Let the teams play each other and whoever wins, wins. No more of this "X is clearly better than Y despite them having zero common opponents or schedule".
    Clemson is always a monster in the post-season. I think pretty much everyone saw this coming, they were the most boring team in the regular season because they didn't play anyone, but there was never any real doubt about them not making the CFP. In practical terms, Clemson plays a two game Season: Semi-Finals and Championship, and more then any other team in the NCAA they know they are going to get there.

This is a good game though, neither team is invincible, and it is a really good matchup. That is actually one of the best things about the CFP, it really doesn't give mismatches in the championship game. Last year doesn't count, Alabama was a better team then what played that day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Consecutive scores by LSU to take the lead. We expected a good one and we're getting it.
    /s

Well that was a stupid penalty. Dude could have actually intercepted that if he'd been playing the ball, but instead he tackled the guy and extended the drive.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritters154 View Post
    Are you confusing Clemson for LSU in the semi-final? LSU played Oklahoma and Clemson played Ohio State, which was the #1 defense this year by pretty much every metric (LSU was like 28 teams behind them in yards allowed per game and touchdowns allowed per game). They also put up 29 against OSU, which was the most against them by any team on their schedule.
    Yep, totally fucked that up. My bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Consecutive scores by LSU to take the lead. We expected a good one and we're getting it.
    Yeah - that last drive before the half was amazing. Burrow, showing his Heisman.

- - - Updated - - -

So far the unstoppable LSU is looking very stoppable, and Clemson is driving against the LSU defense unlike anything Clemson has seen.

This is exactly why I don't hold much faith in the eye test and am very much an advocate for settling it on the field. Let the teams play each other and whoever wins, wins. No more of this "X is clearly better than Y despite them having zero common opponents or schedule".
    Has Clemson scored recently. Seems like LSU defense figured out Clemson's game and is stopping them cold. We'll see after halftime adjustments.

So do they not call holding or block in the back in college? Because they don't seem to be calling it on either team.

Turning out to be a hell of a game.

Looking forward to seeing how things go after half time adjustments.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningSkies2018 View Post
    Turning out to be a hell of a game.

Looking forward to seeing how things go after half time adjustments.
    Clemson made some good adjustments for the second half.

Did the network commercial us through Clemson's two-point-conversion? Or did I just miss it?

And yeah, great game.

- - - Updated - - -

It feels like Clemson adjusted, but then LSU adjusted in game, like the first half, and is about to run away with it. We'll see - LSU's o-line has to get Burrow more protection. Clemson's defense is eating them alive in the early second half.
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-01-14 at 03:59 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Seems like it is just way too easy for LSU to score right now.
    Indeed. And they've got Trevor locked down. I didn't even see that all of Clemson's TDs in the game are rushing. Interesting.

Clemson's corners are struggling, more concerned with being beat then they are playing the ball. Lawrence also is missing a lot of throws he normally makes, not sure if the pressure has gotten to him or what but he's definitely out of sorts.

Still wondering how we haven't seen a holding call against the oline. Been a lot of blatant no calls on both teams, but letting them just play favors LSU since they seem to have the better dline.

- - - Updated - - -

Wooooow, that was a bad call. Pac-12 refs gonna P12 it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that flag just ended the game and is going to be a huge talking point. It's one thing to miss calls, but they screwed that one up bad. Huge momentum swing.

Yeah but I guess they had to get the shitty Pac12 in the playoff somehow. That score would have at least made this a little better game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clemson doesn't seem like they can get a first down unless its a penalty.
    /s

To be fair, all of the flags thrown against LSU have been legitimate, and they've missed just as many more.

That's not to say Clemson hasn't also benefited from that some, but these refs are bad even but P12 standards.

So have we discussed the targeting rule yet? Because holy shit, the fact a player can get ejected like that is absurd. For everything great about college football, there are so many things it does to trip over it’s own feet consistently. This game is literally not going to end until 12:30 on the east coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Smash Adams View Post
    So have we discussed the targeting rule yet? Because holy shit, the fact a player can get ejected like that is absurd. For everything great about college football, there are so many things it does to trip over it’s own feet consistently. This game is literally not going to end until 12:30 on the east coast.
    My biggest issue with targeting is that you almost always see someone get ejected for it while a player from the other team gets away with one in the same game.

Targeting shouldn’t be an ejection. At the max they should have to sit a quarter.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Clemson's corners are struggling, more concerned with being beat then they are playing the ball. Lawrence also is missing a lot of throws he normally makes, not sure if the pressure has gotten to him or what but he's definitely out of sorts.

Still wondering how we haven't seen a holding call against the oline. Been a lot of blatant no calls on both teams, but letting them just play favors LSU since they seem to have the better dline.

- - - Updated - - -

Wooooow, that was a bad call. Pac-12 refs gonna P12 it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that flag just ended the game and is going to be a huge talking point. It's one thing to miss calls, but they screwed that one up bad. Huge momentum swing.
    What are you going on about some Pac-12 bad flag? 42-25, not really any way to say Clemson just lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Yeah but I guess they had to get the shitty Pac12 in the playoff somehow. That score would have at least made this a little better game.
    Spare me - the refs were great. Great game.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly - Clemson just fell apart in the end. LSU Was the better team, in almost every category.

- - - Updated - - -

To be fair, all of the flags thrown against LSU have been legitimate, and they've missed just as many more.

That's not to say Clemson hasn't also benefited from that some, but these refs are bad even but P12 standards.
    What's pathetic is blaming refs for a team that was outclassed.

- - - Updated - - -

The game wasn't close. Clemson lost to a better team. Trevor did seem off, which was odd - not a single passing TD from him.

Were there close calls? Of course - it's football. Was there one potentially bad call? Yep - the Offensive PI on Clemson's TD. Right after the potentially bad missed PI call that went against LSU.

Do bad calls lead to what would have been a 49-25 loss (LSU took the knee at the 5 yard line or so, could have easily scored another TD)? No, they do not. LSU was the better team in this game, and they proved it.

Blaming it on the refs is just silly. And doing so makes you just look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What are you going on about some Pac-12 bad flag? 42-25, not really any way to say Clemson just lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Spare me - the refs were great. Great game.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly - Clemson just fell apart in the end. LSU Was the better team, in almost every category.

- - - Updated - - -

What's pathetic is blaming refs for a team that was outclassed.
    Show me where I said Clemson lost because of flags? I even twice mentioned how the Clemson players where getting beat by the LSU players in the post you quoted,

That doesn't change the fact that the refs basically ignored holding by the oline for both teams, threw a backbreaking offense PI on what was clearly a defensive PI, missed a pretty obvious targeting call against LSU towards the end, and were just terrible all around.

I'm not some homer complaining because I wanted Clemson to win, the people I watched the game with who don't even watch college ball outside of the championship game made the same comments. But this is unfortunately normal for P12 refs. At least you can't say the refs favor a team because the refs are so bad they screw both teams over.
    Last edited by Brubear; 2020-01-14 at 05:58 AM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Show me where I said Clemson lost because of flags? I even twice mentioned how the Clemson players where getting beat by the LSU players in the post you quoted,

That doesn't change the fact that the refs basically ignored holding by the oline for both teams, threw a backbreaking offense PI on what was clearly a defensive PI, missed a pretty obvious targeting call against LSU towards the end, and were just terrible all around.

I'm not some homer complaining because I wanted Clemson to win, the people I watched the game with who don't even watch college balm ball outside of the championship made the same comments. But this is unfortunately normal for P12 refs. At least you can't say the refs favored a team because the refs are so bad they screw both teams over.
    And I disagree. They missed a couple of PI calls (because that never happens in football games ), decided to be generous with holding calls on both sides (which is precisely how it's supposed to work). The refs did a fantastic job on both sides. Tough calls where needed and moved decisively all around. I'm not sure why you didn't like "the refs" and I'm certain them coming from the Pac-12 has nothing to do with the calls themselves.

Not sure where any of your completely illegitimate animosity is coming from, actually. Great game, good reffing. Fantastic finish to a great season.

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys have fun with your conference agendas, I'll just be the only one happy because his team won.
    /s

They have this guy on call disagreeing with a lot of the calls and you’re saying officiating wasn’t a problem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pereira

:thinking

I wasn’t for either team. I like both coaches. I just wanted a better game.