Thread: Old Tank Creed

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Old Tank Creed

Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.

Sorry,the only tank creed I know is "You pull it,you tank it".

Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    Years ago, when tanks fought for threat and times were good, there was a creed someone thought up. I can only remember part of it and it's bugging me: "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from. (I actually got more use out of "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault, if the healer dies, it's the tank's fault, if the dps die, it's their own damn fault.")

If anyone can point me in the right direction to the rest of this creed from the Golden Age (for me, at least) of tanking, I would really appreciate it.
    "Targets with the most threat, tend to get hurt"
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

10+ Year Old Account
    For me, the golden age of tanking was MoP, in which tanks would keep threat, top the damage charts, AND be responsible for mitigating and healing nearly 100% of damage taken. And no, there has never been a creed of "I am your shield, you are my sword". Only creed has generally been "You pull it you tank it"
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    It's the only creed worth remembering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

this sounds especially cringey and have no idea where it could have originated from. sounds more like some pseudo-RP thing.

Thats fine I pull it i pop 800k health earth elemental, i tank it, sadface on tank

Never in the 15 years of tanking have I heard other than "you pull it, you tank it"

I still enforce that, even in levelling dungeons. I'll taunt if you focus the wrong mob in a pack, but if you pull, I'll watch.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    It's the only creed worth remembering.
    What about Apollo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Amen to that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

i haven't heard that in a long time but i do recall it as well...... sadly no more than what you remember it seems.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    Only tanks i see that say that are usually the ones with small ego trying to feel strong once in their life.
    Otherwise you just waste time killing off dps sabotaging your own group, when all you had todo was press a button that isnt on even on gcd to get agro and i say that as someone who tanks for many years.
    Last edited by Nnyco; 2020-01-14 at 12:50 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    Thats fine I pull it i pop 800k health earth elemental, i tank it, sadface on tank
    Assuming that Shamans have a group spot, which sounds rather bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    That works fine for the first group. What are you going to do for the next 5 minutes?

Besides, most tanks would simply pull the next group(s) and wait for the wannabe tank to catch up, be overwhelmed and die a horrible death that not even a super duper healer can outheal.

Sadface on shaman.

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember back in Wotlk we had a guild tank that enjoyed role playing as a bot in dungeons. He would start every dungeon with something like:

Tank: INITIATING TANK BOT V.16
    Tank: LOADING DUNGEON PROFILE
    Tank: STANDBY
    Tank: GREETINGS FELLOW HUMANS, SHALL WE PROCEED TO KICK AI BUTT?
    Tank: PULLING IN 3
    Tank: 2
    Tank: 1
    Tank: #SYNTAX ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    Tank: OH F*?K IT, KILL EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fellow guildies knew he was messing about, but it was surprising the number of randoms that would leave. He eventually got reported and 'advised' to stop doing it by a GM.
    Last edited by Bethanie; 2020-01-14 at 01:01 PM.

I went with "you yank it you tank it" but I guess it's essentially the same thing.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    This. Anything beyond that is gibberish.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    I remember back in Wotlk we had a guild tank that enjoyed role playing as a bot in dungeons. He would start every dungeon with something like:

Tank: INITIATING TANK BOT V.16
    Tank: LOADING DUNGEON PROFILE
    Tank: STANDBY
    Tank: GREETINGS FELLOW HUMANS, SHALL WE PROCEED TO KICK AI BUTT?
    Tank: PULLING IN 3
    Tank: 2
    Tank: 1
    Tank: #SYNTAX ERROR, DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    Tank: OH F*?K IT, KILL EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fellow guildies knew he was messing about, but it was surprising the number of randoms that would leave. He eventually got reported and 'advised' to stop doing it by a GM.
    Sounds like an awesome macro, I'm really interested in using it myself now LOL

As for OP's "creed", I have never heard of it, and I've been tanking (pally, mostly) since BC. As others have said already, the only tank creed for a long time was "you pull it, you tank it".
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by brighthammer View Post
    "I am their shield... they are my sword." I know there's more, but I can't remember more or where it came from.
    It sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.