15+ Year Old Account

Aunt and uncle live in remote area...how can they get internet?

I’m reaching my wits end with this problem. My aunt and uncle live in a remote area (although still quite close to a golf course with houses nearby...I imagine those million-dollar homes have friggen internet!) and want internet for streaming, but finding a provider for them is proving...almost impossible. I’ve tried talking to Comcast and Century Link and both have told me flatly they cannot provide service to the house.

I actually lived right next to them a while back and found a fixed wireless solution called Clear Wireless that worked amazingly well...I even played WoW on that connection without a hitch, but that company seems to be defunct...so I really have no idea what to do now. Satellite is out of the question (at least until Elon makes launches his service)...I’ve tried it before and hated it...I wouldn’t wish a satellite connection on my worst enemy. I’m thinking a fixed wireless or something that works off of LTE Because I get a decent signal on my phone up here and have been watching plenty of Netflix and HBO Go on my phone without issue. Any suggestions would be great. They live in Auburn WA.
    Last edited by Lemons; 2019-12-29 at 08:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Satelite if they don't do any gaming. I know you said it wasn't an option, but if they don't do anything latency-sensitive then it's a very viable option.

Other than that, you said LTE works, so maybe get an LTE router, something like: https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Modem.../dp/B01MQRHQYT (Though I'm not sure how good that particular model is, I just googled for LTE router with ethernet port)

Is there mobile phone service in the area? I don't know how it is in NA, but here in the UK even way out in the country if you can get mobile service then you can just get an unlimited data phone contract and use the phone like a wireless router to your PC/whatever other device. Standard 4G speeds are also even faster than any non-fiber (and even some low end fiber) landline connection, so it's not a bad experience either.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Unlimitedville.com

Its about the only thing resembling broadband you can get in a lot of places.

In the US, Cellular companies will NOT sell you unlimited data on a computer line. If you tether a phone, the tether data is throttled heavily (usually down to 3G speeds) the moment you go over your tether cap, which is usually quite low.

They dont offer unlimited-data fixed residential connections, either.... (like the above Router). They simply will not sell you a line with unlimited data.

but they DO offer unlimited-data business fixed connections.

So what Unlimitedville does is.. get these connections, and then basically leases them to you. Its 4G LTE, unlimited-ish data (there's usually a 500GB-1TB cap where they will start to throttle your speeds (but not all the way down to 3G, usually just to a lower rate like 8-10Mb rather than full LTE) to keep the carriers off their backs (and depends on which carrier you're sub-letting from).

Its expensive (150$/month if you can go with Sprint or T-mobile, up to 250$/month if you have to go through Verizon) but you can choose whichever carrier to sub-let from based on your coverage. If you're in an area with good Sprint or T-mo coverage, you can go with that plan (150$ a month).

But its usually pretty fast (fixed LTE devices have a LOT more power for their antennas than any phone, as well as having more and larger antennas, so latency and bandwidth are generally better/higher). My in-laws get 40-50Mb down and 4-6Mb up from T-Mobile (their only other option is Satellite, which they paid 70$ a month for and only got 20GB of data per month, glad i finally talked my Mother in Law to quit arguing and let my father in law get the LTE connection) and the latency is usually 20-60ms when gaming (ive taken my computer there when we say over for the holidays sometime).

Like i said, its a bit expensive (150$ at the cheapest) but its far better than satellite every day of the week, even with the up-front setup cost (you have to pay for the router/LTE device up front, i believe, though im not 100% on that) but if thats your only choice for viable internet.. i guess you pay it.

My in-laws (well, my father in law, at least, my MiL didnt use the internet much and didnt want to pay for more than satellite) love it though. He can finally use Netflix (though he sets it to 720p even on his newer higher end TV to make sure he's not riding the 1TB softcap) for more than like 2 hours a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    I’m reaching my wits end with this problem. My aunt and uncle live in a remote area (although still quite close to a golf course with houses nearby...I imagine those million-dollar homes have friggen internet!) and want internet for streaming, but finding a provider for them is proving...almost impossible. I’ve tried talking to Comcast and Century Link and both have told me flatly they cannot provide service to the house.

I actually lived right next to them a while back and found a fixed wireless solution called Clear Wireless that worked amazingly well...I even played WoW on that connection without a hitch, but that company seems to be defunct...so I really have no idea what to do now. Satellite is out of the question (at least until Elon makes launches his service)...I’ve tried it before and hated it...I wouldn’t wish a satellite connection on my worst enemy. I’m thinking a fixed wireless or something that works off of LTE Because I get a decent signal on my phone up here and have been watching plenty of Netflix and HBO Go on my phone without issue. Any suggestions would be great. They live in Auburn WA.
    almost all rural areas have a provider. Ussually its dsl. Who ever does thier land line phones will know or most likely provide.

Probably satellite Internet or mobile net

They can move to somewhere actually civilized

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyrr View Post
    They can move to somewhere actually civilized
    i think you have it backwards. some of the most civil people are those removed from the sardine packing that goes on in big cities.

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    i think you have it backwards. some of the most civil people are those removed from the sardine packing that goes on in big cities.
    I never said big city. Suburbs outside them and out of rural areas without internet infrastructure