Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    Could easily argue that dating a 'gamer dude' usually isn't worth it either.
    Agreed. I'm a fucking mess. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    He's asking how to convince her to try WoW. He is not asking what he should do instead of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Could easily argue that dating a 'gamer dude' usually isn't worth it either.
    Yes. I gave a detailed response to his concrete question (my first post) and then posted a comment suggesting a different activity that they might enjoy more.

And both "gamer boy/girls" can lead to problems in a relationship. Like I mentioned a few comments above, the subculture of gaming is usually a lifestyle. Most of the time it becomes unhealthy and eats up other areas of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    a little off topic here,but dang,the wife must be one huge catch if you married her and she doesnt share your passion for games,I have broken off relationships twice with women that berated me for playing games,mostly because where I live it is somewhat seen as a ''childish'' activity

on topic,if you say she doesnt like games at all,then personaly I wouldnt try pushing it if she is very against it,try to find a different common interest
    She is fine with me playing however much I want so it's no big deal. I just want her to play with me some is all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Pro tip: don't.

Get out of this nerd world. Go out with her, do exercise, go to beach with her, go cycling, jogging, go to a dance club, enjoy your life with her.

Stop the WoW man. It is not worth it anymore.
    We do plenty... this is just another thing. Not talking about 5 hours a day. I am a 1-2 hour a day player.

- - - Updated - - -

Me and my wife are extremely happily married... and she will not become a "gamer girl" whatever that means (and implies that it's even bad)? I simply want to enjoy a few hours a week with my wife playing WoW during this time before things go crazy. Nothing more, nothing less.

I do appreciate the advice here. VERY good tips and have duly noted the "let her experience it on her own" theme. It is something that had I not posted here about it and received that advice from you fine people I may have screwed up.

Ask yourself. Why do you play wow? I could never get my wife into wow. Because the reason I played it did not speak to HER interests. However, After 10 years, I did manage to get my wife starting on mmos. Swtor to be exact. She wanted to play something easy enough to not suck, solo enough to not have to rely on others, and something that would have a story to interest her.

Main takeaway. Treat it like fishing. Without the bait, you wont get anywhere. My wife likes stories. Hates to read. Ask yourself what your wife likes. Don't do this for you, do this for her if you belive it is truly something she would enjoy based on HER interests

If you get your wife into WoW, something you may need to consider is if you'll need to have another fun way to occupy yourself if you ever want some "you" time. It could be pretty exhausting having to spend *all* of your time with your SO. But if that's really what you want, more power to ya.

If she's not a gamer at all, I kinda doubt you will succeed, no matter what you try, however if you're going to try anyway, I second what the guy here said

Quote Originally Posted by Feralheart View Post
    So I got my partner playing too, and that best bit of advice I can give you is... Don't play it with her, let her play it by herself.

You need to let her go at her own pace and discover the world, lore and and environments as she sees it, without being told the correct way to do things. You can teach her all that stuff later on, but it's important that she has fun starting out small, getting excited over a green pair of +1 stam bracers, her first gryphon ride etc etc.

With that in mind, it may be better to start off in classic as opposed to retail, so that not everything is just focused on the endgame/BFS zones.
    well, with exception of classic, she will get frustrated quickly and just drop it. BfA is much easier to get into for new players, mechanically at least, though I suppose lore might be a problem here, with how jumbled it is...
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

show her a vulpera deathknight.

It's not quite as dramatic as what I think some here are thinking. I don't know how to explain it... Simply want to play with her a bit. If she likes it... AWESOME! If not it is also fine as I can continue my WoW journey on my own as I have for 15 years.

She isn't going to make it to 120 I already know that. She isn't going to raid. This is just a pass-the-time type of thing and I think with leveling in retail being so casual/accessible it can be that.

Swoon her over with the Vulpera. Just subtly tell her she needs to do all the requirements first...

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I lived with my girlfriend who played WoW with me back in Firelands. I remember having to explain to my raid leader why I disconnected in the middle of Baleroc progression but my girlfriend didn't. She unplugged my computer because I was beating her on the DPS meter.

Not saying that all WoW girls are like this but... yeah. I think a lot of WoW dudes put having an eGirl high on their list of fantasies but it's not always worth it.
    I apologize for going slightly off-topic, but I felt the need to comment on this. As a 'gamer girl' - a women who plays games, I don't think this is an accurate portrayal of most women who play games. I would never neglect real-life commitments for a video game, or neglect my boyfriend. It sounds like these two people are prioritizing their hobby over RL, and I think both men and women do this unfortunately.

As far as getting your wife to play, if she really doesn't want to, please respect it and find a hobby you both enjoy together. If she is showing interest, just gently encourage her and tell her how much fun you two could have together! Make her excited about it - tell her about all the interesting quests, transmog, cute pets, cool mounts etc. Whatever appeals to her interests the most.

If she's into scat it'll be easy since she's accustomed to the taste of shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
    It's a Horde symbol but the middle part can also be called the "Eye" of the zone (AZSHARA), it's a play on words
    No, it is happening. The zone changed, it belongs to the Goblins now and is their home. Hearthstone is having a mechanical themed expansion soon, November's cardback is Goblin influenced and revealed concept art shows Goblin machinery. It's a HS expansion, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    maybe asking if she's actually into mmorpgs?
    #boycottchina

So many ridiculous responses in this thread, offering up unneeded 'relationship advice' to the OP - it's a bit weird and quite cringey to be honest! They're a married couple; he doesn't need to be told how to date her, or what they should be doing in their spare time instead of enjoying a video game or any other form of media together. I'm sure they get up to plenty of other things.

On topic, the reason I initially suggested classic WoW as opposed to retail is because there's so many smaller goals and 'achievements' for someone casual, or a beginner, to work towards. Finally getting the gold together for your first mount feels amazing as does gathering the materials to craft yourself a piece of armour that actually makes you feel stronger. It's a lot slower, but that's good because there's no real rush to endgame. Also, OP mentioned that his wife is big into fantasy and lore, and the world building of classic actually makes it feel like you're on an adventure. Traversing an entire continent without loading screens feels like a living, breathing world, whereas so many shortcuts and streamlined, fast leveling in retail makes it feel more like a game instead. Not to mention the confusing structure of retail with it's narrative out of wack.

Just my opinion. I feel classic offers a slower, more engrossing, fantasy-based adventure as opposed to retail's quick, gamified systems of rushing through dungeons or esport pvp.

Just show her what she can do in wow, retail, definitely not classic. Non gamer would be tired AF just from running in classic. Show her all possible activities and see if she is into something.
    30m-1h daily is enough to have some fun without burning yourself out.

And don't force anything, let her play the way she wants. Or not play at all if she doesn't want.
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-01-15 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    TL;DR: I need tips to make my non-gamer wife adopt WoW by making it easier to understand, more fun to play, or other ideas...
    My tip. Don't make her. Let her decide if she wants to play or not and respect her decision. I very much doubt you would like it she makes you do things that you do not like.

I lived with my girlfriend who played WoW with me back in Firelands. I remember having to explain to my raid leader why I disconnected in the middle of Baleroc progression but my girlfriend didn't. She unplugged my computer because I was beating her on the DPS meter.
    Lol. You know why in "couples" it's usually the girl that's a worse player? Because no gamer girl would be impressed by a noob. I guess it's the usual catch 22: if you're worse player than me you suck, if you're better player than me, fuck you, you nerd?

On topic though, I don't think "playing together" is always the best idea, even if you are playing the same games the differences of playstyles and preferences can lead to unnecessary clash. OP can try to encourage wife to try WOW but if she's interested, just let her try stuff on her own, don't "babysit" her.

Maybe it's my personal skewed experience but I often find it more fun to play the same games as my husband separately and then discuss about them rather than play grouped together. We played WOW, Diablo3, LOL, SWTOR, Guild Wars2, Path of Exile and many other games, we would sit in the same room but often play these games at different times, for different time spans, with different attitudes, and we wouldn't always go grouped and do everything together like some lovebirds. We did raid together in wow, but probably spent more time doing own stuff rather than together. There were even times we raided in different guilds due to recruitment restrictions and general guild's aversion to "package deals". You don't have to do everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Tips on how to get a wife from WoW would be much appreciated.
    Find yourself at a correct time in a correct place and don't screw it up by being a thirsty creep. Basically 50% luck 50% being a decent human being.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    a little off topic here,but dang,the wife must be one huge catch if you married her and she doesnt share your passion for games,I have broken off relationships twice with women that berated me for playing games,mostly because where I live it is somewhat seen as a ''childish'' activity
    As long as the hobby isn't harmful, it's an issue if people "berate" each other for their likes and dislikes. If a girl spends time watching soap operas, painting nails and browsing facebook on her phone that's fine, but when a guy plays video games that's stupid and childish? In a healthy relationship even if people don't share each other hobbies or even dislike what that hobby is, they respect the other person's right to have a hobby as long as it doesn't lead to neglect of real life, financial ruin, health problems etc.

If a girl doesn't share your hobby, it's fine, but if a girl hates you for having a hobby that doesn't paint into her picture of "perfect boyfriend" then yeah... run away asap.

Agreed. I'm a fucking mess. :^)
    I'm not a perfect gamer guy either. lol I'll admit it! I've ignored a cute ex gf that jumped in front of my gaming monitor naked, while im in the middle of a raid.
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doffen View Post
    Tips on how to get a wife from WoW would be much appreciated.
    Rule #1 of Online Gaming according to Flintlocke Vs The Horde: Never take a uterus for granted.

Meaning, of course, that it’s most likely a dude RPing that Blood Elf chick.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

Withhold sex from her until she decides to start playing

Quote Originally Posted by Stricks View Post
    Weird thread, I know, but bear with me (or don't TL;DR at the bottom)...

My wife and I had an agreement that when she was expecting she would play WoW with me. My reasoning was that it was a good sober activity that we could enjoy together during downtime before the madness begins. She agreed. Now this weekend is the "big dance", "showtime", or whatever phrase you would like to use. I guess I love WoW and I love doing things with her so in my selfish way I would love to experience it with her.

A bit of background on her: she is really into lore and fantasy and stories but is NOT a gamer. She seemingly has no interest, however I choose to believe she could get into WoW because she has enjoyed watching me play Zelda: BoTW for hours on end and is interested in it, helping me along the way. I recently was able to get her into Stardew Valley and she enjoys it a lot. She doesn't hate games but I think she wants to feel like she is good at it to continue playing.

All of that said, to keep her interested I would like any tips anyone can muster. Maybe you've been here before with a friend or even a SO, or maybe you just have good ideas. I need to make it easy on her and easy to understand. For most of us WoW is now second nature but I could imagine it being overwhelming for a new player that is also not a gamer.

Thank you for your consideration on this matter of grave importance.

TL;DR: I need tips to make my non-gamer wife adopt WoW by making it easier to understand, more fun to play, or other ideas...
    Still early, but so far this worked for me:
    Don't be hover or be overbearing - I let my wife do the starting area on her own, and try to let her make as many decisions as possible.

Ignore efficiency for fun

Yak or other passenger mount is great