can anyone suggest some mmorpgs with nations wars like cabal or aion? i would like to build a gear with a purpose not just to do dungeons so that`s all... ty

10+ Year Old Account
    sci-fi games with antigravity flying saucers that can fly in any direction at high speeds? thats the future but even star citizen uses modern technology future spaceships

- - - Updated - - -

Also what is considered the best 4X game set in space? Theres master of orion, stellaris that i know of
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Question TESO or FF14?

Retail WoW sucks, and I want something newer and shinier than Classic. I like the idea of playing TESO because of the nord race and my interest in Nordic culture. However, FF14 has the best reviewed expansion in years and the slower strategic combat appeals to me. Which MMO do you think I would prefer: TESO or FF14? Which do you prefer?

I can highly recommend FF XIV. Aside from the vanilla game's story, the lore and main story leading up to and moving on from the first expansion to current content is amazing. The fact you can play all classes on the same character is also awesome, as you don't have to level alts everytime you want to play something else, you just have to level other specs on the same character. Game provides plenty of ways to do this unlike games like WoW.

The end game is not a humongous part of the game though, so if you want to do end game (Raiding) you should know it's not quite as spiffy as WoW, but still great fun and have much more engaging effects and gameplay imo, with telegraphed attacks allowing you to do well without the need of addons shouting for you to move.

Why not both? ESO is buy to play and is usually ~$20-30 on sale for the expansions, though dlc is sold separately. I would recommend buying ff14 now then wait for the spring/summer sale for ESO.

FF14 is heavily story driven, and you're locked out of content until you cover it within the storyline (and they are LONG!!! You can purchase from online store to skip it all though). A lot of quirky humour, and the game looks great.

Best part about FF14, job change system. No more making alts beyond aesthetic reasons (you can change your race/gender still via Fantasia potions which you get in game and off online store)... doing everything on your one character.

Combat can be a tad bit slow but is more complex to WoW with the various combos that synergize between abilities.

Crafting is it's own mini game, and you get retainers to send out to gather mats and equipment as well as vanity stuff. You'll need to pay extra for more than two of them though.

P2P but the community, for the most part, is great.

TESO you can take any levelling path you so choose, and is darker in tone obviously compared to FF14. Not played it in a long while, mind you, but combat is different to both WoW and FF14 where it is action based on where you aim instead of target oriented.

Game has gone F2P, last I played it was still P2P... so can imagine the community is different somewhat. I typically avoid F2P games.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-01-15 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    FF14 is heavily story driven, and you're locked out of content until you cover it within the storyline (and they are LONG!!! You can purchase from online store to skip it all though). A lot of quirky humour, and the game looks great.

Best part about FF14, job change system. No more making alts beyond aesthetic reasons (you can change your race/gender still via Fantasia potions which you get in game and off online store)... doing everything on your one character.

Combat can be a tad bit slow but is more complex to WoW with the various combos that synergize between abilities.

Crafting is it's own mini game, and you get retainers to send out to gather mats and equipment as well as vanity stuff. You'll need to pay extra for more than two of them though.

P2P but the community, for the most part, is great.

TESO you can take any levelling path you so choose, and is darker in tone obviously compared to FF14. Not played it in a long while, mind you, but combat is different to both WoW and FF14 where it is action based on where you aim instead of target oriented.

Game has gone F2P, last I played it was still P2P... so can imagine the community is different somewhat. I typically avoid F2P games.
    You still have to buy it, so it's no heavily F2P.

They changed a lot, especially with One Tamriel. You can do any quest, no level restrictions. Spending $15 per month unlocks a crafting bag (all craft items go into the bag, umlimited storage) and access to all DLC.

I enjoy both, but I probably recommend FF14. The only thing I don't like is being forced to group, but even then I've not had a bad experience in group leveling stuff since it's pretty faceroll. Can't speak of endgame of either.

Depends on what you like about WoW now/in the past.

XIV takes a rather different approach being heavily HEAVILY story driven and requiring you to play through that story. It's a mainline entry in the Final Fantasy franchise, so you're basically playing a single player JRPG story in that regard. Even raids and dungeons have questlines to unlock them. Not terribly long for those, but they're there.

So before I would jump on board recommending XIV (which I personally love), I'd probably want to know kind of how you prefer to approach an MMO.

You can play FF14 free on PS4 and ESO free on both with PSnow or game pass.

The expansions cost money, but you'll play long enough to see if you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Depends on what you like about WoW now/in the past.

XIV takes a rather different approach being heavily HEAVILY story driven and requiring you to play through that story. It's a mainline entry in the Final Fantasy franchise, so you're basically playing a single player JRPG story in that regard. Even raids and dungeons have questlines to unlock them. Not terribly long for those, but they're there.

So before I would jump on board recommending XIV (which I personally love), I'd probably want to know kind of how you prefer to approach an MMO.
    I care about gameplay more than story... but I HATE leveling, because I want to play the “real” game. Also, I love cosmetics and looking as good as possible while fighting: animations, costumes, you name it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo03 View Post
    You can play FF14 free on PS4 and ESO free on both with PSnow or game pass.

The expansions cost money, but you'll play long enough to see if you like it or not.

Would you recommend playing on PS4 over an average PC?

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    I care about gameplay more than story... but I HATE leveling, because I want to play the “real” game. Also, I love cosmetics and looking as good as possible while fighting: animations, costumes, you name it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you hate leveling, I can't recommend either game.

Personally i would lean more to recommending XIV. Theres stuff i like in ESO but its stuff like screwing around with the crime and thievery system and the like. Both really seem to be a case for me of "the single player games are dumbed down, pretty garbage nowadays, heres the good content" and i just think XIV does it better. Its a better final fantasy than ESO is a better elder scrolls.

they are diametrically opposite games at least from my experience (which in case of final fantasy is admittedly limited)

final fantasy had this sort of slow and deliberate feel to it with extensive cutscenes, and generally brighter feel. combat is slow. story is more linear. I mean.. technically ESO story works best if done linearly too, but unlike final fantasy - you don't have to.

ESO is very much open world. there is plenty of story, small side quests and larger continuous arcs. but the game itself is structured in a way that allows you to pick and chose what you want to do and you are not really restricted, or penalized by doing that. combat is extremely fast paced and because of the way its structured - skill gap is very VERY large. no idea how housing works in FF, in ESO - its a time and gold sink. its FUN (for me anyways) and its time consuming and involves a LOT. there area LOT of furnishings that are locked behind various in game achievements. there are also a lot of furnishings that are crafted. costuming and crafting is practically its own game. there is a LOT to collect. the way you make outfits in ESO is 2 fold. you can either use pre-made costumes and chose dyes for them (need to be subscribed for that) or you can create your own outfits with various crafting motifs/styles you own and then dye each individual piece. its time consuming AND expensive, but the more you invest into it, the more you get out of it. you are given basic set of dyes, but if you want better, more vivid dyes and just general better selection - those are all tied to variety of achievements from exploration, questing, dungeons, trials, pvp.

I would NOT recommend playing ESO on ps4, personaly. there are a lot of performance complaints and if i'm completely honest? this game is like wow in one respect. it was design with addon use in mind. consoles do not get addons. as far as I know - final fantasy doesn't have this particular quirk.

but overall - the main consideration is. do you like slow? or do you like fast? finally fantasy is very deliberate and very slow. ESO is pretty fast paced, except for things that have wait times (like crafting research and leveling your mount speed etc), but even then, advancing towards your next waiting period takes a few moments, and than its back to fast paced combat, fast paced travel, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't care about the story, you're going to have hours of story to get through. They do sell story skip potions if you want to just grind your way through. When you say the "real" game, do you mean progress raiding? XIV is arguably more casual than WoW in the raid area.

Now, cosmetics, you can definitely look for pieces and make outfit designs. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ will give you some ideas of things people have put together.

The animations for combat are fantastic on all the different jobs as well. They managed to make the archer more interesting than just shooting arrows.

But if you hate leveling and don't care about story, it could be a rough march for you. You could try the free trial, but most will tell you that the game's combat opens up at 50 more than the lower levels. Though a friend of mine never cared about the story in WoW and he got really invested in it in XIV. Still, I can't warn you enough that there are definite slogs in the 1-50 content. Once you hit 50, you've got 100 quests worth of story before you can start the first expansion (they corrected this approach in subsequent expansions with shorter amounts of quests and better story pacing).

Find the current benchmark and see how the game runs on your PC. You can double dip buying the game itself and once you register the code to your account, you can play on both back and forth. I have a friend that does casual crafting and gathering on PS4 kicked back on the couch but prefers PC for combat/raid stuff.

Endgame content I compare more to Wrath era WoW. You've got "tomestones" that function as badges that you get for running random group finder stuff (multiple entries available). You use those to buy a gear set.
    There's also the endgame progression raiding which makes the tomestone gear set unnecessary.
    Then there's a 24 man raid, similar to LFR as a puggable raid but with mechanics that can wipe the raid if a group isn't paying attention and doing their part. This is basically a catch up gear route.

However, you can play every job on one character, so some may find it beneficial to utilize the three routes for different jobs gearing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    but overall - the main consideration is. do you like slow? or do you like fast? finally fantasy is very deliberate and very slow. ESO is pretty fast paced, except for things that have wait times (like crafting research and leveling your mount speed etc), but even then, advancing towards your next waiting period takes a few moments, and than its back to fast paced combat, fast paced travel, etc.
    Based on what Witchblade77 has said here regarding ESO's design, I think this is a pretty good summary of the differences to consider between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    If you don't care about the story, you're going to have hours of story to get through. They do sell story skip potions if you want to just grind your way through. When you say the "real" game, do you mean progress raiding? XIV is arguably more casual than WoW in the raid area.

Now, cosmetics, you can definitely look for pieces and make outfit designs. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ will give you some ideas of things people have put together.

The animations for combat are fantastic on all the different jobs as well. They managed to make the archer more interesting than just shooting arrows.

But if you hate leveling and don't care about story, it could be a rough march for you. You could try the free trial, but most will tell you that the game's combat opens up at 50 more than the lower levels. Though a friend of mine never cared about the story in WoW and he got really invested in it in XIV. Still, I can't warn you enough that there are definite slogs in the 1-50 content. Once you hit 50, you've got 100 quests worth of story before you can start the first expansion (they corrected this approach in subsequent expansions with shorter amounts of quests and better story pacing).

Find the current benchmark and see how the game runs on your PC. You can double dip buying the game itself and once you register the code to your account, you can play on both back and forth. I have a friend that does casual crafting and gathering on PS4 kicked back on the couch but prefers PC for combat/raid stuff.

Endgame content I compare more to Wrath era WoW. You've got "tomestones" that function as badges that you get for running random group finder stuff (multiple entries available). You use those to buy a gear set.
    There's also the endgame progression raiding which makes the tomestone gear set unnecessary.
    Then there's a 24 man raid, similar to LFR as a puggable raid but with mechanics that can wipe the raid if a group isn't paying attention and doing their part. This is basically a catch up gear route.

However, you can play every job on one character, so some may find it beneficial to utilize the three routes for different jobs gearing up.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on what Witchblade77 has said here regarding ESO's design, I think this is a pretty good summary of the differences to consider between the two.
    Thanks for the help! Everyone!

I've decided to go with FF14, as I love doing dungeons and don't have to put up with the f2p nonsense. That said, I'll also try TESO once I'm "caught up" with the former. Thanks again!

1) If you care about game play more than story I can't really recommend either game. FFXIV game play is very similar to WoW, but is heavily story driven. ESO is very heavily story driven as well, but the game play is not exactly something I'd recommend. It's fine and it works for what it's meant to do but it's not great on it's own.

2) If you hate leveling, I can't recommend either game either because for you to get to the "real" game you HAVE to level and leveling takes quite a while in both. FFXIV leveling actually doesn't take THAT long, but you still have a TON of story to get through before you can get to the end game. Unlike WoW, you don't just hop into the current expansion and carry on, you're forced (unless you buy the skip potion) to play through the stories of all the expansions. A couple folks on this forum have posted about their time leveling and it's taken them a couple weeks to go from 1- MAX and getting through all of the story involved in the journey.

3) The "true (somewhat sarcastic)" end game in any MMO is the transmog/fashion aspect and FFXIV and ESO are no different. You have plenty of options in both games.

slower strategic combat
    It's much slower, sure, but there's nothing strategic about it. Just the difference between proc heavy and resource managing gameplay in WoW vs heavily scripted static rotation in FFXIV.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Retail WoW sucks, and I want something newer and shinier than Classic. I like the idea of playing TESO because of the nord race and my interest in Nordic culture. However, FF14 has the best reviewed expansion in years and the slower strategic combat appeals to me. Which MMO do you think I would prefer: TESO or FF14? Which do you prefer?
    I began to lose interest in WoW around WoD. Finally ditched it last year for FFXIV and haven't looked back. The story, characters, and worldbuilding are fantastic, probably the most interesting ongoing video game storyline behind the Trails series. It has a lot of questlines. It also has the Gold Saucer, where I hang out a lot and done non-combat activities like jumping puzzles, mahjong, Chocobo racing, etc. You can play every class on a single character, so it avoids the problem of having to unlock content every time you create an alt. No artifact/azerite power grinds or story progression locked behind reputation grinds. The classes don't have talent trees, which frankly removes a lot of the tedium.

I played TESO during the open beta years ago. Only thing I liked about it was the Cryodil PvP. I've heard it has gotten better, but I'm just not interested in TESO. The aesthetics, music, lore, and gameplay simply don't appeal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It's much slower, sure, but there's nothing strategic about it. Just the difference between proc heavy and resource managing gameplay in WoW vs heavily scripted static rotation in FFXIV.
    The nice thing about FFXIV's 2.5 second GCD is that I don't have to worry that I'm not button mashing fast enough. I can lean back in my chair with my controller in one hand and a drink in another while fighting.

Best MMO for raids/dungeons/PvP

Raids: I hear it’s FF14 or WoW
    Dungeons: I’m guessing ff14
    PvP: BnS is pretty eSports in Korea