Poll: While playing BfA, did it feel like an Old God themed expansion to you?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

BfA IS the Old God expansion

I totally didn't even realize this, N'Zoth is the final boss and BfA was totally supposed to be the Old God expansion that people have been asking for. I totally thought BfA was leading up to an Old God expansion with maybe like the rise of the Black Empire or something. But nope, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion and I don't think people had any idea.

Yikes.

I mean how else are you supposed to make it significant?

What? Really? XD So you didn't notice all the old god lore in Kul Tiras? The dungeon? The blood god Ghun? All the octopuses with eyes and tentacles, the cultists? Nzod and Azshara... should i keep going? XD

The only problem with BFA is Nzod. There is no dedicated zone to him and thats a HUGE shame. It could have been super epic. 1 Raid alone wont make everyone happy. Heck, i do most raids a few times and i stop going to them. A zone can have rep,toys, daily quests and much more story and lore. Story in raids is cool, but people skip it to just go gank the bosses...

Quote Originally Posted by Azolluh View Post
    I mean how else are you supposed to make it significant?
    Like I said, I was hoping for maybe the rise of the Black Empire again with some Old God themed zones that looked similar to this at least:

Literally anything but an expansion disguised as a faction war. I would bet the majority of people didn't even have any idea that BfA was the "Old God expansion", the theme of the expansion was not very obvious at all and I would have liked it to be more obviously Old God themed.

yea so did i. blizz had once chance at an old god xpac and it woulda been fucking easy. but nah they hid it in with all the azerite shit where gear dont matter like it used to
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuze View Post
    You've mistakenly made the assumption that I'm not capable of buying MORE poutine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I totally didn't even realize this, N'Zoth is the final boss and BfA was totally supposed to be the Old God expansion that people have been asking for. I totally thought BfA was leading up to an Old God expansion with maybe like the rise of the Black Empire or something. But nope, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion and I don't think people had any idea.

Yikes.
    I hope you're trolling. The whole bit about Azshara wasnt enough? The tidecaller sages with their old god faces.. I thought most people understood that the faction war was just a front for something deeper. I mean Ghuun is literally an old god, albeit more of an experiment.

Like I said, I was hoping for maybe the rise of the Black Empire again with some Old God themed zones that looked similar to this at least:

Literally anything but an expansion disguised as a faction war. I would bet the majority of people didn't even have any idea that BfA was the "Old God expansion", the theme of the expansion was not very obvious at all and I would have liked it to be more obviously Old God themed.
    That sounds a lot more expensive to create a story about.

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    I hope you're trolling. The whole bit about Azshara wasnt enough? The tidecaller sages with their old god faces.. I thought most people understood that the faction war was just a front for something deeper. I mean Ghuun is literally an old god, albeit more of an experiment.
    I'm totally not trolling. I totally 100% thought BfA was just build up to an Old God expansion with the rise of the Black Empire and we'd get some cool expansions zone looking like the image I linked above. Maybe I am totally oblivious but the Old God theming like you listed didn't seem like a full fledged "Old God expansion" to me at all, it just seemed like build up to one introducing them as a big threat among the faction war of BfA.

Edit: added a poll to see how many others thought the same as me
    Last edited by Flower Milk; 2020-01-16 at 01:44 AM.

3+ Year Old Account
    I still kinda expect one after Shadowlands tbh. We’re all chilling in another plane of existence, leaving Azeroth undefended and the all of the Old Gods rise up in our absence and take over the planet. I can see that happening and I would love it. I don’t buy for a second that we can actually kill and destroy them and we know that they have plans within plans of plans and plans on the side with plans for dessert.
    Don’t ask me to explain my idiocy; I’m in my early 40’s and still don’t understand it myself.

I'm totally not trolling. I totally 100% thought BfA was just build up to an Old God expansion with the rise of the Black Empire and we'd get some cool expansions zone looking like the image I linked above. Maybe I am totally oblivious but the Old God theming like you listed didn't seem like a full fledged "Old God expansion" to me at all, it just seemed like build up to one introducing them as a big threat among the faction war of BfA.
    Azshara screams old god influence to me, and we always knew she was part of it due to warbringer stories. I was always convinced they would gradually make it old god themed, but i agree, too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleloron View Post
    I still kinda expect one after Shadowlands tbh. We’re all chilling in another plane of existence, leaving Azeroth undefended and the all of the Old Gods rise up in our absence and take over the planet. I can see that happening and I would love it. I don’t buy for a second that we can actually kill and destroy them and we know that they have plans within plans of plans and plans on the side with plans for dessert.
    I mean I'd really like that too, but I'm pretty sure BfA was 100% supposed to be the Old God themed expansion so my hopes are kinda slim for that happening now realizing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    i never asked for an old god expansion. the idea is played out and tired.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

I knew that N'zoth would be the final boss. But still wouldn't call BFA an old god expansion, what should have been front and centre was pushed aside for a nonsensical and forced faction war.

The 8.2 should have been the premise for the levelling content. Free Nzoth in first raid then gone onto Black Empire stuff in Patches.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I knew that N'zoth would be the final boss. But still wouldn't call BFA an old god expansion, what should have been front and centre was pushed aside for a nonsensical and forced faction war.

The 8.2 should have been the premise for the levelling content. Free Nzoth in first raid then gone onto Black Empire stuff in Patches.
    Yep, that's exactly what I thought, too.

But nope, if you stop and think about it, BfA was totally the "Old God expansion". We killed Ghuun, we killed Azshara, and now we're killing N'Zoth. By all accounts and based on past expansions, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion.

Yep, that's exactly what I thought, too.

But nope, if you stop and think about it, BfA was totally the "Old God expansion". We killed Ghuun, we killed Azshara, and now we're killing N'Zoth. By all accounts and based on past expansions, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion.
    Regrettably there's a better parallel universe out there where a city invasion never ate up a raid tier and Nzoth got the exposure he deserved

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Regrettably there's a better parallel universe out there where a city invasion never ate up a raid tier and Nzoth got the exposure he deserved
    LF mage to port me to that universe please, will tip

You’d have to be pants on head stupid to not realise that BFA has been old gods the whole way.

First of all, we’re using titan facilities the entire time. Hint ...

Second of all: Ghuun, Azshara, Crucible of Storms. All old god raids.

Thirdly: we got a friggin eye of nzoth on our damn heads.

Pants on head.

Every single expansion ever has been a 2 pronged story and “the faction war” was clearly a mere 1 of those prongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Krille View Post
    Azshara screams old god influence to me, and we always knew she was part of it due to warbringer stories. I was always convinced they would gradually make it old god themed, but i agree, too little too late.
    I semi fail into this camp as well. I knew there was more to BFA than just Sylvanas going on a kill streak because she really feared for the Horde survival. BFA up to killing Azshara felt like the pilot episode and I was expecting the rest of the season to be more Old God. What we are getting for the rest of the season feels like the series got cancelled after the premiere and they just threw us the episodes they had already filmed.

I really thought next expansion was going to be a heavy old gods expansion

People saying they were expecting an Old Gods expansion follow-up after BfA were caught up in a dream. Blizzard went all over the place with BfA's story and it largely does not make sense or link well with Shadowlands' story. It's clear they had to change the direction of the story once they encountered the faction war backlash from players. I know some will say "but they plan expansions out well in advance" but we know that is BS. Blizzard didn't intend for Garrosh to die in MoP after making him Warchief in Cata - just one example.

BfA would have been fine if not for the retarded faction war that made neither faction come out looking better on the other side. There was far too much going on, Azshara felt like a second thought, Sylvanas vanishes and N'zoth is the final boss, marking the end of the final Old God. Seems a bit anti-climatic dedicating as much time to Sylvanas in an expansion supposed to be about N'zoth, especially when most of it made no sense (from Sylvanas.)