Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    who cares? who is best is completely subjective, another pointless elf thread, can you at least chose a day, like every friday to post those things instead of one every single day ?
    If you are going to post in a topic, then at least contribute to it. If you have no interest in the subject and wish to personally criticise, then PM or simply avoid topics I make or ignore me if it annoys you, but I really want to discuss this here and hear others' view. So please dont derail this? It cost me to write all that out, at least be on topic.

15+ Year Old Account
    This should be in the high elf megathread, and you know it.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    If you are going to post in a topic, then at least contribute to it.
    i did, i said its pointless and subjective all this matter of who is best,

10+ Year Old Account
    But were they? I think the Highborne that managed to keep their form and were taken back by their people, the original Highborne people are better

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this not in the High Elf thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    who cares? who is best is completely subjective, another pointless elf thread, can you at least chose a day, like every friday to post those things instead of one every single day ?
    I'm not doing this to be popular or appreciated. I'm simply writing about the things I enjoy and want to discuss on a sub-forum that it is appripriate for.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's about BLood elves.. the race.. not high elves the faction people want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebra the War Criminal View Post
    Just a little correction, they weren't an asspull. I know it's popular to use that term nowadays, but context matters.
    An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air...

Void elves literally came out of nowhere. No hint that they might come about until we're doing the quest to unlock them... there is literally nothing about them as a possible existence until the devs started pushing them in advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    But were they? I think the Highborne that managed to keep their form and were taken back by their people, the original Highborne people are better
    I think the blood elves are better overall. Sure the high elves became lesser for losing the night elf buffs, but they did a lot more. It may be different circumstances, but they chose to press forward, accept the reality of the present rather hide from it, and build something worthwhile. They had a lot less at their fingertips than the Shen'dralar who in the enhanced night elf form would have been more capable biologically and had an intact city with knowledge and research lost to everyone else (but Suramar which was also inaccessible). They also would have had the magical impetus having had no break from it, whereas the high elven ancestors upheld the ban for 3k years, which is a long time without doing anything. Even if their memories were perfect, the exile and it's trauma and devolution would have caused loss even if the sunwell brings back some enhancements.

that's what I think anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    An Ass Pull is a moment when the writers pull something out of thin air...

Void elves literally came out of nowhere. No hint that they might come about until we're doing the quest to unlock them... there is literally nothing about them as a possible existence until the devs started pushing them in advertisements.
    I know people say that, and it seems so, my suspicion being that in the moment they decided the nightborne would go horde, they needed something nearly as powerful for the alliance. Higih elves were the obvious choice, but not wanting to give the same identical model with slight differences, someone came up with using the void which would have already been known, and Alleria, and it all just went from there.

In theroy, it's no more an arse pull than any other race, theis is likely how every race starts, and void elves basicaly are conceptually better and more unique than Highmountain, Taunka, Lightforged, Wildhammers and quite a few sub-races.... they just didn't have the incubation period, the zone that had us meet them and involve with them in the story before being playable. They just arrived straught ahead. If we had gotten to meet them playing a role in Mac'aree like the lightforged then it would have been a bit better. But when you want to do a new race coming in a patch, you want to do it like they did for Ankoan and Gilblins in 8.2 - which allows us to have a good experience with them, however even that is a a bit short, you want at least the Highmountain exprience, and more something like the Nightborne experience. The ideal would be the Kul'tiras/Zandalar experience, where you are with them throughout the expansion.

I know people say that, and it seems so, my suspicion being that in the moment they decided the nightborne would go horde, they needed something nearly as powerful for the alliance.
    To pair off with the army of the light? Raven, This is the single most advance magitech organization and sporting the flag ship is not just miles... but whole astronomical units, ahead of every other vehicle both factions can muster. Lets recap, horde got Ancient Keldorei magisters and some people that ride birds... Alliance gets the fucking Normandy AND more elven magisters... This isn't an even trade.
    In theroy, it's no more an arse pull than any other race, theis is likely how every race starts, and void elves basicaly are conceptually better and more unique than Highmountain, Taunka, Lightforged, Wildhammers and quite a few sub-races.... they just didn't have the incubation period, the zone that had us meet them and involve with them in the story before being playable.
    The bold is what makes them an ass pull.

Nightborne and Highmountain Tribes had zones and storylines ingraining them into the setting. Hell even the lightforged had some established bullshit. at the last minute. Void elves had "oops we got stuck out here too long and got contaminated! Guess we're a thing now..."

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    To pair off with the army of the light? Raven, This is the single most advance magitech organization and sporting the flag ship is not just miles... but whole astronomical units, ahead of every other vehicle both factions can muster. Lets recap, horde got Ancient Keldorei magisters and some people that ride birds... Alliance gets the fucking Normandy AND more elven magisters... This isn't an even trade.

You're right, it isn't an even trade.. So I keep trying to ask myself why did they do this? What are they thinking here. I try to imagine different perspectives, maybe the deves don't view it on a lore basis.

The way I first saw it, was they gave the horde the kaldorei empire and troll empire, and the alliance got Kul'tiras and void elves. I viewed it in terms of what was visibly shown.. there are 2 of the games greatest cities - (Suramar and Dazar'alor) by some stretch on the horde, and the greatest legacies of a current alliance race and a horde race. I thought unfair.

From a lore power point of view.. the Army of the Light's lightforged are insanely powerful, and from what little we saw of the void evles and Alleria, so were the void elves. What the horde got can't match. As powerful as the Nightborne are, face it, the Shen'dralar are just as knowledgeable in the arcane, for the blood elves, the alliance has high elves and void elves, plus human and gnome mages - to counter only forsaken on the horde, however, the magical institutions on the alliance are small, the highborne are a small group even if they're growing quickly, they will have a cap until more NElves are born (or restored), the void elves and high elves and human mages are small whereas on the horde you have 2 civilizations (blood elves and Nightborne) as arcane adepts - the numbers would certainly be at least even if not favouring the horde. but not enough to over turn the Lightforged and void elf advantage - except in numbers. It seems only the Vindicaar Lightforged joined, and while they can raise new ligghtforged, they are small, same with the void elves.

THe oly other way I see them looking at it is visual/models - Suramar was really nice to look at, and the blood elf fans wanted it badly, it was easy to give it there on the basis that the horde needs a new pretty city to add to Silvermoon and Dazar'alor despite its night elven theme.

Being the best Elf is a little like being the slimmest at an Weight Watchers meeting but cool for the High Elves

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    Being the best Elf is a little like being the slimmest at an Weight Watchers meeting but cool for the High Elves
    I know I should understand this, but I don't quite. Can you elaborate?

I know I should understand this, but I don't quite. Can you elaborate?
    I tend to hate elves in fantasy. So the best of the worst race. But i would agree blood elves ate the most interesting

Without a doubt, and their journey has proven this too. But let's look at some things observable in the lore about their highborne ancestors.

Their Ancestors
    1. They were palace highborne - this means they were amongst the most elite of the Empire. The highest of the nobility normally surround the Monarch.
    2. They did the right thing and rebelled against the Queen's mad alliance and joined the right side fighting her.
    3. They called Malfurion, Cenarius and the Druids out on their b/s, 3,000 years was enough time to mourn and sulk over the mistakes of the sundering, they were not only right that itw as time to look to building a future, but that ways could be found to use the arcane without summoning the legion - thus rendering the Long Vigil's ban pointless, it would take the rest of that kaldorei group 7,000 years to realise this.
    You just described the nightborne too, I'm just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    "If you want to play a blue eyed blond elf, the horde is there waiting for you." - Ion fuzzykoalas.
    Can anyone give me a quote format of this but with the Blue Blizzard thingy?

Edit: also, it's just so beyond me why the Night Elves would warn against the High Elves (and especially Blood Elves) when the High Elves are the descendants of the anti-Aszhara Highborne and better yet, the High Elves helped against the Burning Legion in Mount Hyjal (even better, I saw somewhere that the MVPs of that time were the High Elf Priests/Priestesses/Paladins)
    Last edited by Ardenaso; 2020-01-18 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post
    Originally Posted by Ion Fuzzykoalas
    If you want to play a blue eyed blond elf, the horde is there waiting for you.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WraithKingOstarion View Post
    Originally Posted by Ion Fuzzykoalas
    If you want to play a blue eyed blond elf, the horde is there waiting for you.
    thanks! 10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by Ardenaso View Post

Edit: also, it's just so beyond me why the Night Elves would warn against the High Elves (and especially Blood Elves) when the High Elves are the descendants of the anti-Aszhara Highborne and better yet, the High Elves helped against the Burning Legion in Mount Hyjal (even better, I saw somewhere that the MVPs of that time were the High Elf Priests/Priestesses/Paladins)
    Short Answer: blizzard wanted to set up blood elf - night elf hate to stir faction hate for the whole gameplay reason (Warcraft thrives on horde and alliance fighting and hating each other)

Long Answer: Blood elves were doing stuff reminiscent of Azshara's highborne, their ancestors.. (the blood elf story at this point retlling f the night elf story adapted for the Thalassian elves. IT was better to link the blood elves tot hat for several reasons, give you a raid boss, and make them more convincing bilalins that the night elves could hate. Afterall Tyrande had no reason to hate Kael'thaas, she helps him and repays him for what Darth'remar Sunstrider did in the war of the ancients (one can assume this has nothing to do with the exile or that at this point in time she in her heart feels it was too harsh and un-necessary)

Either way, these high elves, now blood elves are now rumoured to be using fel magic (sucking mana from demons), teamed up with notorious Legion lackey Illidan, and and recklessly toying with dangerous magic and demonic entitities, like before. It comes at a time everyone is worried about the blood levs after WC£, they're too proud to ask or unwilling (remember how Garithos treated Kael'thas, only Illidan was willing to give him what he needed), the rest don't know what's going on, the signs are disturbing, so the night elves warn the alliance about the blood elves' past and send scouting parties to Quel'thalas to see whether their fears can be confirmed - this is why the Shalandris Isle night elves, the DArnassian intruder and the sentinesl you fight are all about scrying and spying. But again to stoke the conflict, blizzard writes the blood elves as executing the night elves to show the horde they are capable of joining.

This is blizzards way of telling us, blood elves are awesome, because they can beat night elves.. notice how they will do this consistently till MoP after massive player outcry. To show how awesome Garrosh was, he had to beat night elves, to show how Awesome the worgen were they had to out-eperform night elves (see Wolfheart), to show how awesome Varian was to ascend to High King he had to save Tyrande and the damsels in distress..

Nigiht leves were WC3 super race, so they knocked them down a few pegs and use them as the example to show how awesome they want to make a race or character. (up till Cataclysm ofc

Without a doubt, and their journey has proven this too. But let's look at some things observable in the lore about their highborne ancestors.

Their Ancestors
    1. They were palace highborne - this means they were amongst the most elite of the Empire. The highest of the nobility normally surround the Monarch.
    2. They did the right thing and rebelled against the Queen's mad alliance and joined the right side fighting her.
    3. They called Malfurion, Cenarius and the Druids out on their b/s, 3,000 years was enough time to mourn and sulk over the mistakes of the sundering, they were not only right that itw as time to look to building a future, but that ways could be found to use the arcane without summoning the legion - thus rendering the Long Vigil's ban pointless, it would take the rest of that kaldorei group 7,000 years to realise this.

Their History & Achievements

Highborne they may no longer be, but as descendants they have exceeded tehir forbearers. Don't be blinded of this because Quel'thalas wasn't as "great" or "advanced" as the pre-sundering civilization.

1. It was nowhere near as corrupt or addicted.Addiction happened over time, but nothing like the night elf scale that we see with the Nightborne and Shen'dralar. [My personal opinion, if they hadn't lost their kaldorei enhancements, they would not have gotten addicted - I can explain my theory if you want]

2. Despite losing kaldorei enhancements (a devolution of sorts) with reduced capacity, longevity, intelligence, stature - not only did they manage to enhance themselves with the Sunwell, but they built a Utopic civilization, with much better standards. While their counterparts just hid in cities drinking away their problems with mana (Shen'dralar), getting lost in a time bubble (Nightborne), just doing nothing else but their duty when they could do so much more (Darnassians).

3. The high elves also continued to protect their world, but also advancing themselves and their civilization, they gave their race and their people a future, and made choices to protect, safeguard the world even when it was costly. They may not be the best but they had a lot less than their kaldorei ancestors and did much more with it than they did.

The Other Highborne - The Greatest of the Highborne

Face it, they were better than these too.

1. Naga - palace stock like the high elves but became twisted into aberrations, and did not succeed in accomplishing anything. All their attacks are thwarted and failed, and their Queen's best laid plan to survive and rule the world, ruined, as only a minor note in the events of Azeroth
    2. Satyrs - also initially from the palace, even though their increased numbers came from subverting other kaldorei, yet they became little more than cunning beasts, only caring about power and magic - no developments, advancements only spreading misery and corruption, lost their war and all their attempts get beaten.
    3. Shen'dralar - were the Queen's most revered arcanists - so it's hard to place them in relation to the palace highborne, they may have been her secret genius squad she hides from her competitors, which granted, makes them quite capable, but what did they do? They instead of choosing to confront the devastation and at least function as an alternative path for night elves than that on offer in Hyjal, instead hid for 10,000 years, growing a measure of ineptitude such that their city falls into ruin.. all they had to do was maintain a city, not a kingdom, they had no threats like Troll war bands and were absent from the first 3 major wars.. instead they were high on juice just studying.. they may be the most genius and intellectual of the highborne, but they are certainly not the best.
    4. Nightborne - Elisande's group: Now not all nightborne are highborne, if you didn't know that, you now do. The highborne were Elisande's group and ofc the highest of nobility in the city: They were in charge of artifacts, procurement, storage and harnessing. AS important a task as this is, this is hardly the highest pedigree, so no they are not on the same level as the Palace highborne nor the Shen'dralar. what do they achieve? They, cower in fear in a bubble, and even when their city is facing starvation and dwindling resources, they're too chicken to lower the shield to verify wehther their assessment was correct. Instead they further abuse their magic going so much so to start ingesting it to solve the food shortages.. as fancy and advanced the techniques must be, surely even you can see how silly and extreme this is just to avoid facing reality. But then, what did they do in the War of the Ancients, rather than seek to save their kin and the world in a all or nothing strike against Queen Azshara, they instead used their new power to shield up.. then 10k years later, accept an ultimatum from the most evil force in the universe that was responsible for the isolation they've endured. Fortunatley for us, Thalyssra shows us that they at least have some fight and decency. Their progress under the shield was snail paced. Don't wow over Suramar, most of what's in Suramar was around 10k years ago (yes, the Kaldorei were that advanced), but once the empire fell, every single group of them except for Darth'remar's highborne have been disappointing. With fear, regret, shame, complacency dominating them instead of moving forward.
    5. The Farondis Highborne: Well, they're all dead or unliving (still not sure here), we don't know what they would have become. But we know that they were a full highborne community like the Shen'dralar and the High elven ancestors. They were the forefront of magical research through their famous academy (I like to think of the Shen'dralar as the magical development premiers, likely graduates from Nar'thalas now working as the Empire's best developers and private researchers), but the Farondis would have been the world renowned academics. They also were very noble, they rebelled against the QUeen immediately they realised what was happening, were brave enough to stand up against her, and even 10k years on as ghosts showed the same character and brilliance. However they're not alive, and their state has presented them from achieving anything. They may have been imo, the best of the highborne, but they are no more existing as pale shadows of themselves-- literally, or at least severely handicapped from having a genuine future by being unliving. They don't really count.

My Conclusion:
    If you've read all of this, you should probably conclude that not only were they from the best of the highborne, but they are the best of the elves. The night elves have greater capability naturally, this is what the lore shows, but with less, the High/blood elves have done much more. But how can the weaker species be greater? Well it's a trend in wow, just look at the Vrykul and humans. Having the better stats on paper , or the better start doesn't make you the grater or better. It's what you choose to do with what you have. Let that be a lesson to all. Stop looking at what you don't have, or what others have, make better choices with what you have, you will be measured up against what you did with what you have.

Yes, I like the night elves, yes they have other good qualities I like to talk about, no I don't think they are as amazing as you may have thought I did, haven't felt htat way about them for a long time, you were just likely taking my defsne of them and their positive attributes as some sort of proof that I thought they were super amazing. You also likely mistook my admiration for their lore, aesthetics, assets and fantasy to mean that I think they are untouchable and should be the best, you didn't give me the benefit of the doubt to think for a moment my plaudits were based on the description of them I was given and was trying to make a case for how they should have been portrayed in Warcraft and didn't for a moment think that I actually fully took on board their weaknesses and shame. You just wanted an excuse to bash somebody painting a good light on a group you didn't like, rather than accepting the facts about them, but also recognising that the blood elves you liked were better for what the lore shows them as having done.

You don't need to be the most magically enhanced naturally or advanced civilization to be the best. And you could easily have been amazing once before but failure, shame, circumstances have taken a dent out of your initial drive. It doesn't mean others can't celebrate your greatness and hope for a return, nor does it mean that such don't see you aren't actually where you are.
    The blood elves at the military level are the best, but mainly at the military level that in a world like Azeroth is very important.

The nightborne at the military level are not so good but they have very practical uses for their magic that makes them very useful.

I believe that the union between nightborne and blood elves is complementary reinforcing every aspect of the other

3+ Year Old Account
    Short Answer: blizzard wanted to set up blood elf - night elf hate to stir faction hate for the whole gameplay reason (Warcraft thrives on horde and alliance fighting and hating each other)

Long Answer: Blood elves were doing stuff reminiscent of Azshara's highborne, their ancestors.. (the blood elf story at this point retlling f the night elf story adapted for the Thalassian elves. IT was better to link the blood elves tot hat for several reasons, give you a raid boss, and make them more convincing bilalins that the night elves could hate. Afterall Tyrande had no reason to hate Kael'thaas, she helps him and repays him for what Darth'remar Sunstrider did in the war of the ancients (one can assume this has nothing to do with the exile or that at this point in time she in her heart feels it was too harsh and un-necessary)

Either way, these high elves, now blood elves are now rumoured to be using fel magic (sucking mana from demons), teamed up with notorious Legion lackey Illidan, and and recklessly toying with dangerous magic and demonic entitities, like before. It comes at a time everyone is worried about the blood levs after WC£, they're too proud to ask or unwilling (remember how Garithos treated Kael'thas, only Illidan was willing to give him what he needed), the rest don't know what's going on, the signs are disturbing, so the night elves warn the alliance about the blood elves' past and send scouting parties to Quel'thalas to see whether their fears can be confirmed - this is why the Shalandris Isle night elves, the DArnassian intruder and the sentinesl you fight are all about scrying and spying. But again to stoke the conflict, blizzard writes the blood elves as executing the night elves to show the horde they are capable of joining.

This is blizzards way of telling us, blood elves are awesome, because they can beat night elves.. notice how they will do this consistently till MoP after massive player outcry. To show how awesome Garrosh was, he had to beat night elves, to show how Awesome the worgen were they had to out-eperform night elves (see Wolfheart), to show how awesome Varian was to ascend to High King he had to save Tyrande and the damsels in distress..

Nigiht leves were WC3 super race, so they knocked them down a few pegs and use them as the example to show how awesome they want to make a race or character. (up till Cataclysm ofc
    That's not it; the High Elves who rejoined the Alliance (after being exiled by Lor'themar) were the ones being warned of thereby the Night Elves. Even Vereesa herself said she didn't have good relations with the Kaldorei (apparently the Hippogryph mounts weren't enough of a goodwill)