Poll: While playing BfA, did it feel like an Old God themed expansion to you?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    It's clear they had to change the direction of the story once they encountered the faction war backlash from players. I know some will say "but they plan expansions out well in advance" but we know that is BS.
    What? Why else do you think they had the video with Azshara and N'zoth? It was obvious the story was going to go to Old Gods in this expansion. The panel after the announcement showed us Azshara even. The entire zone of Stormsong had old god shit all over it throughout the quests, all the sea priests, etc. If you didn't see that coming you're clueless.
    Last edited by HitRefresh; 2020-01-16 at 04:30 AM.

As I know, normally, they are supposed to show players the elements of the main theme of an expansion in the cinematic trailer. Like Ilidian in BC trailer, Arthas in Wotlk, Deathwing in Cata, Chen in MoP, Orcs in WoD, Demons in Legion, and some Old Gods minions in BfA.

Oh well.

And there were some Old Gods stuffs in both Kul Tiras and Zandalar, but there were also Death theme and Faction war stroyline(War Campaign, the reason why the fourth war happens!) as well. And every expansion have some side threats before players face the main enemy of one expansion.

No one was certain about the last boss before 8.3, because devs have decided to throw all their nice lores in one trash can called BfA and call it an 'Old Gods expansion.' For Sylvanas and her afterlife themepark.
    Last edited by Trient; 2020-01-16 at 04:34 AM.

Yeah.. I predicted from the very start that this would be the N'Zoth expansion. At the very first look we got. With them just selling it as Horde vs Alliance, because they did not feel an Old God on the cover would draw in enough audience.

I've hated that from the start. People came up with a lot of fanfiction (leaks) and theories for alternatives that I liked better. But I've always assumed this would happen.

It sucks that it did. I understand it, but it still sucks. Would have loved a true Black Empire expansion.

Yeah man they've been so subtle about it.

Like at launch when we had an Old God dungeon.

And then an Old God raid with a Herald of N'Zoth.

Then 8.1 happened and there was a raid inside a part of N'Zoth.

Then 8.2 happened and we were fighting minions of Old Gods, being constantly whispered to by the Old Gods, and then freed an Old God at the end.

So subtle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormbreed View Post
    Mexico is already part of the USA so is Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Shandalar View Post
    Shadow deserves nothing, the same as Fire Mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    BfA is a bad expansion.

We knew there were Old God influence and it was a 75/25 chance that N'zoth appeared in the expac, but I wouldn't call that an "Old God Expansion". I mean, there is ONE Old God-themed dungeon (where half of the players have no idea wtf is happening inside). Warfronts are not Old God-themed, nor Island as far as I know. 4 Raids are, okay on that.

Sure, as said above, we're using Titan facilities which hints at something... But aren't we using Titan Facilities every day in our adventurer's life ? Every single rock we step on is a Titan Facility. And I even think there were more Titan Facilities in WotLK than BfA.
    Adding to that, initially we're using Titan Facilities... to heal Azeroth (supposedly), not to face N'zoth which is still theoretical to us. In the end we'll conveniently use both of them to kill N'zoth, but if Onyxia was to come back, we would also use the Re-Origination Device on her face as well because why not.

It's not an Old God Expansion. That's as far-fetched as calling Legion an Emerald Nightmare expansion. Or a Night Elf expansion. BfA is a Faction War expansion.
    To compare, I would rate Mists of Pandaria 10km above BfA in the Old-God-Expansionometer. At least the Old Gods lore was interesting and everything felt connected.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I totally didn't even realize this, N'Zoth is the final boss and BfA was totally supposed to be the Old God expansion that people have been asking for. I totally thought BfA was leading up to an Old God expansion with maybe like the rise of the Black Empire or something. But nope, I'm pretty sure Blizzard intended for BfA to be the Old God expansion and I don't think people had any idea.

Yikes.
    Better late than never I guess... And yes, this was always intended, BFA was from the get-go littered with N'zoth references.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

It was clear there wouldn't be a full-Old God expansion after Chronicles revealed that they were merely pawns of the Void Lords. What we know is that they are interested in making a Light and Void expansion, in which the Old Gods might play a major role once again as enemies.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

7+ Year Old Account
    BfA's problem was actually the faction war

as always
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

We all knew that N'zoth would be the final boss...

Still pissed off by the results.

They added faction war and Sylvanas due to "too epic" complaints.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    BfA's problem was actually the faction war

as always
    Indeed. Old Gods and Azshara should have been the primary plotline all across the expansion, with faction tensions flaring in the background without turning into a full blown genocidal world war.

But the gods of marketing, in their infinite wisdom, decided to milk Red vs Blue yet again and put muh war back in Warcraft, as if we were giving the Legion tea and biscuits this entire time or some shit.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderZebra View Post
    I knew that N'zoth would be the final boss. But still wouldn't call BFA an old god expansion, what should have been front and centre was pushed aside for a nonsensical and forced faction war.

The 8.2 should have been the premise for the levelling content. Free Nzoth in first raid then gone onto Black Empire stuff in Patches.
    If you don't know how the "faction war" was old god related, then you don't know enough about basic lore in game to have an old god expansion matter.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    If you don't know how the "faction war" was old god related, then you don't know enough about basic lore in game to have an old god expansion matter.
    Seems that I don't know enough about the basic lore in the game, would you care to explain to me how was the faction war related to the Old Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    I get how its "related" but the expansion wasn't old god themed. The Old Gods should have, like the legion and the scourge in thier expansions, been at the forefront.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by UndedoKoleda View Post
    Seems that I don't know enough about the basic lore in the game, would you care to explain to me how was the faction war related to the Old Gods?
    Nzoth was presumably influencing it to weaken the Horde and alliance? Ive not been that dedicated to Bfa so not sure it thats confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    No ... it felt like a sylvanas expansion.

Even now it doesnt feel like N'zoth is a threat ... for a final patch / old god attack it just feels weak.
    2 little invasion zones with 95% rehashed models / art dont feel like an old god just awakened and wants to corrupt the whole world.

Splitting the xpac between faction war and Old Gods meant that neither part of the story felt fleshed out.
    Quote Originally Posted by matrix123mko View Post
    She lost against Arthas for purpose. She wanted to feed Quel'thalas to hungering darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    BfA would have been fine if not for the retarded faction war that made neither faction come out looking better on the other side. There was far too much going on, Azshara felt like a second thought, Sylvanas vanishes and N'zoth is the final boss, marking the end of the final Old God. Seems a bit anti-climatic dedicating as much time to Sylvanas in an expansion supposed to be about N'zoth, especially when most of it made no sense (from Sylvanas.)
    Ye but now you have the whole patch because there won't be a 8.3.5. I just feel like i wanted Old God theme sooner, and that faction war was indeed anti-climatic, i really didn't enjoy (as i got super tired of) Sylvanas.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrandRunner View Post
    It's clear they had to change the direction of the story once they encountered the faction war backlash from players
    If you say it's clear or it's obvious it doesn't actually make it like that. You actually have no proof either way. Just as an idea, who would have been the big bad, then? Sylvanas? Yeah right.

OT, pretty sure everyone realized we were heading for an Old Gods thing. Even if you didn't figure it was gonna be in this patch, we at least thought it would happen in the next expansion.
    The one thing that was there to give a sure clue was the fact that we had no "big bad" - Sylvanas wasn't gonna be it.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2020-01-16 at 03:52 PM.

Everyone has been talking about it since BfA alpha literally, so I find it pretty weird that it's surprising to some, but then there are always some people who seem to be completely clueless. I read posts on reddit yesterday where people were surprised you can do visions in a group