Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Horrific Visions and Healer

Are they doable as a healer. Or go offspec DPS or GTFO ?

I did this currently on DPS offspec on both my healers. But at present I have the offspec gear to support this. But as we go deeper and as my DPS gears falls behind (trinkets etc for Nyalotha), my healing gear will always be superior.

So, if healers have to go DPS for this, unless they maintain a good DPS set, they will go behind in cloak level of DPS mains who actually gear for DPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

You can run with up to 4 friends. This way you got a full healer for nasty moments.

7+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you'll have enough damage as a healer to offset the sanity loss if you go solo
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    I don't think you'll have enough damage as a healer to offset the sanity loss if you go solo
    This. At least, definitely not at first. Further down the line, with more of the new Horrific Vision 'talents' unlocked - especially those suited to solo play - it'll get more manageable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then forcing healers (and tanks to a lesser extent) to have to group up is just poor design IMO.

Visions are either a group content or a solo content. If it is a solo content, then it needs to be viable solo content for everyone (not just DPS). If it is a group content, then make it a proper 5 man content with 1/1/3 setup like dungeons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mixxy View Post
    This. At least, definitely not at first. Further down the line, with more of the new Horrific Vision 'talents' unlocked - especially those suited to solo play - it'll get more manageable.
    There's a problem with that as well. I dunno if the talents can be swapped at the Chamber. So people will need to commit to either picking all the grp ones (right side of tree) or the solo ones (left side of tree). At least early, you just wont get enough orbs to level both at the same time.
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayenoor View Post
    Then forcing healers (and tanks to a lesser extent) to have to group up is just poor design IMO.

Visions are either a group content or a solo content. If it is a solo content, then it needs to be viable solo content for everyone (not just DPS). If it is a group content, then make it a proper 5 man content with 1/1/3 setup like dungeons.
    I mean I can solo emissaries/the world as a heal spec it just takes longer than a dps. Same applies to horrific visions. You CAN do them solo as a healer but don't expect to be mowing down mobs like a dps would (same for tanks).

There's really no difference here other than being on a timer (your sanity).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennem View Post
    I mean I can solo emissaries/the world as a heal spec it just takes longer than a dps. Same applies to horrific visions. You CAN do them solo as a healer but don't expect to be mowing down mobs like a dps would (same for tanks).

There's really no difference here other than being on a timer (your sanity).
    The timer is the defense here. Emissaries are not on a timer. The timer (sanity) dictates how much you can clear. A DPS will always kill faster (and clear more) than a healer.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a problem with that as well. I dunno if the talents can be swapped at the Chamber. So people will need to commit to either picking all the grp ones (right side of tree) or the solo ones (left side of tree). At least early, you just wont get enough orbs to level both at the same time.
    Why can't they be both? Group content for when you have time to find people, and solo content when you don't? That's not poor design whatsoever.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Healer and tank are what I'd call "group roles". Solo play is, and always will be, directed at DPS players.

However, with that in mind, in Visions your talent tree and cloak matter much more than your gear, and since pretty much every healer/tank has DPS off spec for questing, even if it is several ilvls lower than your main spec, you should be good. Or, you know, group up if you definitely don't want to switch specs.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Why can't they be both? Group content for when you have time to find people, and solo content when you don't? That's not poor design whatsoever.
    Bingo. With current design it cant be a solo content for a healer if they dont have time to find a group. So clearly Visions cant be both in its current iteration

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Healer and tank are what I'd call "group roles". Solo play is, and always will be, directed at DPS players.

However, with that in mind, in Visions your talent tree and cloak matter much more than your gear, and since pretty much every healer/tank has DPS off spec for questing, even if it is several ilvls lower than your main spec, you should be good. Or, you know, group up if you definitely don't want to switch specs.
    This is not questing. This is time gated runs with rewards based on speed. Why should I as a healer go DPS OS and finish Visions with lesser success than a DPS main? I deserve less loot (just because I am a healer?) Are you serious!!!

5+ Year Old Account
    Are they doable as a healer. Or go offspec DPS or GTFO ?

I did this currently on DPS offspec on both my healers. But at present I have the offspec gear to support this. But as we go deeper and as my DPS gears falls behind (trinkets etc for Nyalotha), my healing gear will always be superior.

So, if healers have to go DPS for this, unless they maintain a good DPS set, they will go behind in cloak level of DPS mains who actually gear for DPS.
    Horrific visions as a healer are a pain in the ass. My shadow gear is somewhat shoddy, but it was miles easier than as disc.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

A healer shouldn't be able to do anything solo, the whole point of the spec is being in a group.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Bingo. With current design it cant be a solo content for a healer if they dont have time to find a group. So clearly Visions cant be both in its current iteration
    Grats on catching up to 2004, I guess? Healers have almost never had soloing content meant just for them, besides proving grounds and their mage challenge.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

This is not questing. This is time gated runs with rewards based on speed. Why should I as a healer go DPS OS and finish Visions with lesser success than a DPS main? I deserve less loot (just because I am a healer?) Are you serious!!!
    Did you read my post, or are you too emotional and enraged right now to comprehend simple sentences? Your gear won't matter here much, "talent tree" and cloak level will. 10-15ilvls here and there won't make a difference. Also, if you are a competitive player, those usually keep their offspec almost on par with their main spec, so again, a non-issue. And, as I, and others told you, vision has both solo and group play, solo play is aimed at DPS spec, if you're heal/tank you go with group. Nothing more to see here, /thread.
    If the future is female...get ready for apocalypse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dziubla View Post
    Did you read my post, or are you too emotional and enraged right now to comprehend simple sentences? Your gear won't matter here much, "talent tree" and cloak level will. 10-15ilvls here and there won't make a difference. Also, if you are a competitive player, those usually keep their offspec almost on par with their main spec, so again, a non-issue. And, as I, and others told you, vision has both solo and group play, solo play is aimed at DPS spec, if you're heal/tank you go with group. Nothing more to see here, /thread.
    In order to unlock the talent tree (and the cloak) you need do the instance. You cant do the instance as a solo healer. So you are forced to DPS.

So in your logic it is perfectly acceptable for a healer to be forced to grp in order to unlock the talents for solo play.

There's another catch -- the talents for grp play are different from the talents for solo play. And you wont have enough points to unlock both early. So most DPS are going to pick the solo play talents since it is easier for them to just solo and not grp till they are really deep in the visions and actually need healers to progress.

But wait, those healers have been left behind.

- - - Updated - - -

Grats on catching up to 2004, I guess? Healers have almost never had soloing content meant just for them, besides proving grounds and their mage challenge.
    Besides questing and emissaries, please point out any solo content in WoW history that's exclusively designed for solo DPS.

Mage Tower and PVG are the only instanced solo content I know off in WoW before visions. And they are were both designed for all 3 roles.

So you mean every solo challenge that existed up to this point? Like, seriously, would you please name ONE solo challenge in the game in the past 15 years that was simply not completable as a healer?

OT: I'm pissed as well. I main priest. i HATE shadow. I simply don't like the spec. Never have. I also think that it is objectively one of the weakest solo-specs in the game right now, unless you play on a level where you would still achieve MUCH more with almost any other spec, especially melee. And if i don't like shadow, i'm obvioulsy less likely to spend time practicing the spec.

I will have to beg friends to help me in this. Feels great if the central new feature of a patch promotes begging.

It would not have been THAT hard to make this thing viable for healers, too....they sure did with the chromie scenario....which had absolutely no impact on progression and was only played by a minority of players....but that was Legion...when they were still giving a shit.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2020-01-16 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Have not done any so this is just my own viewpoint. We had role specific quests in Legion for the artifacts for tanks, DPS and healers. I am surprised that they did not resurrect this for the three different roles so players are not required to go off spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post

I will have to beg freinds to help me in this. Feels great if the central new feature of a patch promotes begging.
    What's worse is that Horrific Visions is the template on which the Tower of Damned will be based in Shadowlands, which will be the central feature for that expansion. So healers will have to deal with this BS not only through entire 8.3 but entire Shandowlands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathasil View Post
    So you mean every solo challenge that existed up to this point? Like, seriously, would you please name ONE solo challenge in the game in the past 15 years that was simply not completable as a healer?
    Don't quote me on this, but from my experience, you couldn't solo the tank or dps mage tower challenges as a healer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but from my experience, you couldn't solo the tank or dps mage tower challenges as a healer.
    You couldnt tank or DPS the healing versions either. That's why there were separate challenges for each SPEC in mage tower.