Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Virginians who support the Second Amendment and are opposed to the present Legislation's actions, should ban together and file a law suit. Take it all the way to the Supreme Court if needed.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...ten-to-secede/

Most importantly, HCR 8 reads, “In a spirit of conciliation, the Legislature of West Virginia hereby extends an invitation to our fellow Virginians who wish to do so, to join us in our noble experiment of 156 years of separation from the government at Richmond; and, we extend an invitation to any constituent county or city of the Commonwealth of Virginia to be admitted to the body politic of the State of West Virginia…and we hereby covenant that their many grievances shall be addressed, and, we further covenant with them that their firearms rights shall be protected to the fullest extent possible under our Federal and State Constitutions.”

This just gets more interesting. I like that WV is involved considering its history.
    I like that WV legislature is so stupid that they think this could happen. People make fun of WV residents being stupid...and the WV legislature is reinforcing that notion quite well.

WV was originally allowed to form their own state because it was advantageous to the United States, not because they felt like it, therefore they could.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    So we should be shooting cops and ICE agents?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, let them. It would help ensure another Republican doesn’t get in the White House.
    Actually neither of those are the military. And people are already shooting police and ICE agents.

Quote Originally Posted by ohtlmtlm View Post
    rofl, send in the national guard.

- - - Updated - - -

They are already planning sending in the National Guard. I believe they have said they will refuse if Virginia takes away the 2A.

rofl, send in the national guard.

we don't need another bunch of dumb shit yall'queda militia groups flexing.
    I read something yesterday about Virginia sending in the National Guard. And the National Guard refusing to go if they are taking away the 2A. Could have been the Internet rumor mill though.

Edit: nah it’s not true. At least I presume so since the fact check below states he didn’t threat to cut off power and it’s in the same sentence.
    Damn internet rumor mongers!!
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/northam-meme/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    I like that WV legislature is so stupid that they think this could happen. People make fun of WV residents being stupid...and the WV legislature is reinforcing that notion quite well.

WV was originally allowed to form their own state because it was advantageous to the United States, not because they felt like it, therefore they could.
    They are just stirring the pot for political reasons. That’s really all it is. No more no less. Take it for what it’s worth.
    Last edited by ADA203; 2020-01-16 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ADA203 View Post
    Actually neither of those are the military. And people are already shooting police and ICE agents.

I read something yesterday about Virginia sending in the National Guard. And the National Guard refusing to go if they are taking away the 2A. Could have been the Internet rumor mill though.

Edit: nah it’s not true. At least I presume so since the fact check below states he didn’t threat to cut off power and it’s in the same sentence.
    Damn internet rumor mongers!!
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/northam-meme/

- - - Updated - - -

They are just stirring the pot for political reasons. That’s really all it is. No more no less. Take it for what it’s worth.
    That's for the courts to decide, and they would be disobeying lawful orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    It sure seems like a lot of people are suddenly very supportive of sanctuary cities.

How ironic.
    Doing it to protect constitutional rights is rather different than doing it to protect people breaking laws. The irony isn't lost on people though as I assume that is the point and part of the reason to do it and say it that way.

That being said this is never going to happen. It does make a certain kind of sense though and might actually be a viable solution if both parties were willing to compromise in the sense that they will no longer be under the same roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Doing it to protect constitutional rights is rather different than doing it to protect people breaking laws. The irony isn't lost on people though as I assume that is the point and part of the reason to do it and say it that way.

That being said this is never going to happen. It does make a certain kind of sense though and might actually be a viable solution if both parties were willing to compromise in the sense that they will no longer be under the same roof.
    Not at all. If the courts rule the law is constitutional, then it's exactly the same (except local jurisdictions are required to enforce state laws, and not federal laws). If the courts rule it unconstitutional, then it's completely unnecessary.

So, it is the same, while being slightly less legally justifiable in the case of Virginia gun laws.

In the end, this is largely just fearmongering, and people trying to stir up shit. This is the very definition of mass hysteria and misinformation. For the record, I support the premise of sanctuary cities and counties. However, I also understand how they may be abused. Imagine if a city decided to have a sanctuary status against rape laws. In theory, it could happen, and would be no different than this.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-01-16 at 02:14 PM.

Not at all. If the courts rule the law is constitutional, then it's exactly the same (except local jurisdictions are required to enforce state laws, and not federal laws). If the courts rule it unconstitutional, then it's completely unnecessary.

So, it is the same, while being slightly less legally justifiable in the case of Virginia gun laws.

In the end, this is largely just fearmongering, and people trying to stir up shit. This is the very definition of mass hysteria and misinformation. For the record, I support the premise of sanctuary cities and counties. However, I also understand how they may be abused. Imagine if a city decided to have a sanctuary status against rape laws. In theory, it could happen, and would be no different than this.
    Until it has been ruled constitutional or not by the SCOTUS I can see reason to give sanctuary to those who see the new laws as an infringement of those rights.

Again, there is not a constitutional right to rape so you example isn't remotely the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Until it has been ruled constitutional or not by the SCOTUS I can see reason to give sanctuary to those who see the new laws as an infringement of those rights.

Again, there is not a constitutional right to rape so you example isn't remotely the same.
    Yes, and it can even be justified after the fact.

These laws will be contested in court, and will be ruled on whether they are constitutional. There are constitutional laws that ban rape, and there are also constitutional laws that restrict firearms. I'm not saying that a sanctuary city that doesn't punish for rape crimes is morally the same, but legally, it would be.

Which is why sanctuary cities are a double-edged blade. In this case, both would be ignoring constitutional laws.

For the record, I think most of the things being pushed in Virginia have been ruled constitutional in courts in the past. Once again, I don't support these gun laws, but they are likely to pass judicial scrutiny.
    Last edited by Machismo; 2020-01-16 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    historically refusing to pay your military never ends well......
    They aren't the US military.
    They are counties that rely on fed tax money. Most of which I believe receive more than give.

One tornado will have them on their collective knees.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They aren't the US military.
    They are counties that rely on fed tax money. Most of which I believe receive more than give.

One tornado will have them on their collective knees.
    I think it is pretty rare for West Virginia to have a bad tornado. Too hilly and mountainous.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Counties are not states. They cannot secede through any means other than violent revolution and attempting to claim their territory as independent. They're not trading cards that state governments can collect and trade with each other.
    This is essentially the process by which West Virginia exists at all, so it's a pretty intentional hat-tip to regional history to make the offer. Just a public way to keep dunking on Gov. Blackface, who richly deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    Counties are not states. They cannot secede through any means other than violent revolution and attempting to claim their territory as independent. They're not trading cards that state governments can collect and trade with each other.
    Isn't that how we have a large amount of our states in the first place? West Virginia splitting from Virginia, Tennessee splitting from North Carolina, etc. It's been a long time, but it's not like there were any laws passed (afaik) that prohibit counties and regions from seceding and joining or forming their own states.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Isn't that how we have a large amount of our states in the first place? West Virginia splitting from Virginia, Tennessee splitting from North Carolina, etc. It's been a long time, but it's not like there were any laws passed (afaik) that prohibit counties and regions from seceding and joining or forming their own states.
    Well, the Constitution has something to say about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articl..._1:_New_states

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."

Well, the Constitution has something to say about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articl..._1:_New_states

"New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress."
    Like I said there's nothing forbidding states from seceding providing they get the approval from the state they would be seceding from. Now do I think it will happen? Probably not, but new states have, do and will probably still arise out of older states.

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Like I said there's nothing forbidding states from seceding providing they get the approval from the state they would be seceding from. Now do I think it will happen? Probably not, but new states have, do and will probably still arise out of older states.
    Yes, new states can happen, but this is not one of those cases. it's no different than the State of Jefferson movement in Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Now, if Virginia has a law that states there is no way for a county to secede, then that's the end of it. I have no idea if VA has such a law.

5+ Year Old Account
    This has gotten too long to properly merge with the gun control mega-thread, so it will be closed here. Please continue discussion in the appropriate place.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."