Poll: Some examples

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    Ah yes, I too remember good old Year 0.
    2010 ≠ 0

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Joker

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Ok. So, if I'm understanding this, you're saying you start counting something, you start from '0', not '1'?...
    Actually that is correct when measuring time because time is past. You are born 0... after 1 year you are 1. So if it is easier think of it as:

2010-2011 = Year One
    2011-2012 = Year Two
    etc.
    2019-2020 = Year Ten

Year Ten does not include the whole year of 2020... just the first tick of the clock to denote the end of 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

People really do not understand why a decade goes from 1~10? Woow...

Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    Not to mention bad writing, bad dialogues, too many cliché, unnecessary explicit fan service that serves no purpose and reduces the quality of the film.

Suicide Squad is the only movie in a very long time that I literally could no watch all the way through in one shot. Easily my pick for worse movie of the decade, it's not even in the same ballpark as the worse Star Wars movie anyone could imagine. Star Wars bad movies are primarily bad because there's expectations and a standard, if you look at them in a more neutral way, they may still not be very good, but they're nowhere near as bad as people say.
    I did manage to get the whole way through Suicide Squad, if only because of the same impulse that makes you srae at gruesome car crashes when driving past them on the motorway. It's like they set out to do absolutelyeveruthing wrong.

I went into it expecting less than nothing and it still didnt manage to meet those expectations.

I cannot believe so many people voted for TLJ

Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    I nominate Warcraft (2016). That thing was atrocious.
    Voted TLJ but fully agree.

Waited 8 years for that movie... to see something that terrible.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    I did manage to get the whole way through Suicide Squad, if only because of the same impulse that makes you srae at gruesome car crashes when driving past them on the motorway. It's like they set out to do absolutelyeveruthing wrong.

I went into it expecting less than nothing and it still didnt manage to meet those expectations.

I cannot believe so many people voted for TLJ
    Lol i was also expecting something terrible and it still managed to blow my mind by how bad it was. Literally on the same level as the crappy teenage series on Netflix like Shadowsomething and Riverdale. Actually I don't know if it's the same level they're all so low I don't bother ranking them.

TLJ was pretty bad but the only reason it's getting so many votes is because it's trendy and edgy to hate on Star Wars, just sheeples voting, complete absence of critical thinking.

TLJ is getting the votes because of the "disappointment" factor, which was likely overwhelming.

I only watch movies with good reviews, so my money is not wasted.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Joker

Actually that is correct when measuring time because time is past. You are born 0... after 1 year you are 1. So if it is easier think of it as:

2010-2011 = Year One
    2011-2012 = Year Two
    etc.
    2019-2020 = Year Ten

Year Ten does not include the whole year of 2020... just the first tick of the clock to denote the end of 2019.
    So I'm agnostic to what people want to call a decade. I'm fine with 2010-2019 being called the decade.

However, if you are going to get into nit-picking, the reality is that the decade is 2011-2020. Historians have never used a year 0 (e.g. 1 January 500 BCE thru 1 January 500 CE is actually only 999 years).

Thus the very first decade of the calendar we use is 1-10, the second decade is 11-20, and so on and so on.

Honestly I can trust anyone that says TLJ is the worst movie of the decade to be rational lol. Can't y'all separate from "actually bad" from "didn't like"?

TLJ is far from my favorite movie, but come on people.

Ok. So, if I'm understanding this, you're saying you start counting something, you start from '0', not '1'?

When you count the fingers in both your hands, you start with the number '0'? So you go "0, 1, 2, 3, 4" for the first hand, and "5, 6, 7, 8, 9" for the other hand? Or do you go "1, 2, 3, 4, 5" for the first hand, and "6, 7, 8, 9, 10" for the other hand?

Your calendar, does each month start on "day 0", or "day 1"? Of course not. You start with '1'. Therefore, the start of a new decade, in this case the next one, will begin on 2021.
    Okay without being mean, I think it's fairly a well know consensus that decades are counted as XX0 - XX9, so if you say "the eighties" we are referring to 1980 to 1989.

That... that's just how we count decades dude.

Movie I was the most disappointed in on a personal level: Once upon a time in Hollywood

Worst movie if going by reception and just how it's made and the casting choices: Cats.

Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    You think The Last Jedi is bad? Do you think for yourself? Or are you just not smart enough to understand the film?
    Yes, I think it is bad.

And nice going, insulting ad hominem against me simply because I disagree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Honestly I can trust anyone that says TLJ is the worst movie of the decade to be rational lol. Can't y'all separate from "actually bad" from "didn't like"?

Are you implying there's something special in that movie, which, if understood correctly would make the movie good?

LOL.

Well, I can't really vote since I've not seen all the movies listed in the poll. However those I saw in the list...yeah, The Last Jedi would be it. I recall specifically defending The Force Awakens...saying wait until the 2nd movie...Not only did I get hit hard with disappointment, but I saw a shitty script play out.

I think it's actually bad. The story being told had numerous plot holes and inconsistencies. Plot threads introduced in TFA were forgotten or removed in TLJ. It exposed the lack of overarching story arc for the trilogy.

Okay without being mean, I think it's fairly a well know consensus that decades are counted as XX0 - XX9, so if you say "the eighties" we are referring to 1980 to 1989.

That... that's just how we count decades dude.
    The problem is that "popular consensus" does not make things true or correct.
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2020-01-16 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    Are you implying there's something special in that movie, which, if understood correctly would make the movie good?

LOL.
    No, you are missing the point, I'm saying that it's not the worst, because there are movies on that list that aren't just bad, but egregiously incompetent. Again, you are letting your hatred for a movie -which personally, I only needed to see once and move on without giving it more of my time- cloud rational judgement.

Which is why there's a difference between quality and personal appeal. One can absolutely love shit movies or hate good movies, or anything in between, but there's a difference between "this is bad" and "this I didn't like"

Out of the ones on this list and the ones i've seen, easily the last airbender. That movie alone made one of my favourite franchises an automatic cringe to me from then on. I can't enjoy the original series anymore without seeing it through the lens of the cringe-fest that was that movie.

I think it's actually bad. The story being told had numerous plot holes and inconsistencies. Plot threads introduced in TFA were forgotten or removed in TLJ. It exposed the lack of overarching story arc for the trilogy.
    That it is a bad movie doesn't make it the worst movie of the decade, that's the point. Like for real I can't trust anyone that would say that TLJ is a worst move than, because the later is simply empirically worst on every way, from structure, pacing, acting and cinematography.

The problem is that "popular consensus" does not make things true or real.
    Considering that counting pop culture decades is completely arbitrary by itself, going against the consensus about how we do it is ridiculously pedantic.

Take the L.

No, you are missing the point, I'm saying that it's not the worst, because there are movies on that list that aren't just bad, but egregiously incompetent. Again, you are letting your hatred for a movie -which personally, I only needed to see once and move on without giving it more of my time- cloud rational judgement.

Which is why there's a difference between quality and personal appeal. One can absolutely love shit movies or hate good movies, or anything in between, but there's a difference between "this is bad" and "this I didn't like"
    But TLJ is bad. No matter how you see it, if you are a fan or not, it's a bad movie, there's nothing of value there. The only thing you could say is good are the special effects, but that's what money will get you, so yea...

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    That AD began with 1. So that would mean that Year 10 was the end of the first decade in modern history, and Year 11 was the start of the second decade. If you follow that through all the way until 2020, that would mean this is the end of the 2010s and 2021 would be the start of the 2020s.
    By your logic, 1970 was a part of the 60s. Except it wasn't, nobody ever says that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.