Poll: Some examples

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeMeLaugh View Post
    But TLJ is bad. No matter how you see it, if you are a fan or not, it's a bad movie, there's nothing of value there. The only thing you could say is good are the special effects, but that's what money will get you, so yea...
    Again, UTTERLY missing the point. There's a difference between bad and THE WORST, and saying that TLJ is empirically worst than let's say, Avatar in terms of pacing, acting, cinematography, narrative, etc is utterly ludicrous.

You are clearly letting your extreme bias "there's nothing of value there" cloud any rational judgement. There are like 5 things that I can say TLJ did not only well, but great -mostly cinematography let's be real- unlike Avatar, which I have nothing good to say about.

Seriously, I can't trust your opinion to have any self awareness if you say things like "there's nothing of value there" you are simply not being rational. hence the difference between "Worst" and "I didn't like it". One requires measuring, the other is entirely subjective. And your opinion on TLJ is painfully, obviously biased.

I never understood the people who whine and vote down movies cause "mah books! mah cartoons! mah old crap from the 1980s!".

If you just ignore that stuff and enjoy the movie, most in that list are actually good. Like say "The Last Airbender". I've never actually seen the cartoon or whatever it's based on and the movie was ok. Definitely not worse than many other fantasy movies made during that time.

Anyway, on that list, I'd probably pick the Emoji movie. But from the movies I actually watched, Birdman was definitely the worst, simply because it was boring as hell. I guess I expected something like "Watchmen" though.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    Again, UTTERLY missing the point. There's a difference between bad and THE WORST, and saying that TLJ is empirically worst than let's say, Avatar in terms of pacing, acting, cinematography, narrative, etc is utterly ludicrous.

You are clearly letting your extreme bias "there's nothing of value there" cloud any rational judgement. There are like 5 things that I can say TLJ did not only well, but great -mostly cinematography let's be real- unlike Avatar, which I have nothing good to say about.

Seriously, I can't trust your opinion to have any self awareness if you say things like "there's nothing of value there" you are simply not being rational. hence the difference between "Worst" and "I didn't like it". One requires measuring, the other is entirely subjective. And your opinion on TLJ is painfully, obviously biased.
    As I said, money will buy you that. So yea, nothing of value comes from TLJ, it's hot garbage from the first second to the last.

That it is a bad movie doesn't make it the worst movie of the decade, that's the point. Like for real I can't trust anyone that would say that TLJ is a worst move than, because the later is simply empirically worst on every way, from structure, pacing, acting and cinematography.
    It's still an objective opinion of what makes something the worst. There are some B movies that absolutely fail at acting, editing, pacing, etc... but they're still insanely entertaining despite (and usually because) of these failures. While such a movie may be the worst on a technical level, it may still be a success from an entertainment standpoint or achieving its goal.

In general, it probably comes down to which movies failed from a technical standpoint or failed from an entertainment/purpose standpoint... however many people tend to default to the entertainment/purpose as being more important than technical failure as the former can overcome technical failures. Specifically when it comes to TLJ for many people, the failures in entertainment and being the second film in a Star Wars trilogy completely overshadow any technical successes (such as sound/visuals being pretty solid) the movie may have had.

It all boils down to the mentality I enter movies with: I want to be entertained. Even with straight-up documentaries, I need to be engaged enough so I'm not bored to the point I don't care to watch the documentary anymore. The problem with many of the movies on this list is that despite having one or several technical achievements, the resulting film may not be entertaining. You can do everything technically right, yet if people are bored, off-put by, or preached at by the film it's failing at being an entertaining movie. The unfortunate reality is that if you are not entertained by a film, it makes the technical flaws stand out much more... which is why the new Star Wars trilogy tends to get ripped on and makes these "worst movie" lists.

What entertains people? That's the subjective part, which is why the "worst" film for people is completely subjective and heavily influenced by what entertains people and much less by if something is technically good details. The reason TLJ didn't end up my "worst" movie was because RJ did try to interject themes and more nuance to TLJ (which I can appreciate, even though they come off nihilistic/preachy as well as make the film a terrible 2nd movie in a Star Wars trilogy). I still have Ghostbusters 2016 as my worst, because it has everything that's bad about TLJ amped up to 11 with no redeeming features... and no shred of entertainment, either.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    It's still an objective opinion of what makes something the worst. There are some B movies that absolutely fail at acting, editing, pacing, etc... but they're still insanely entertaining despite (and usually because) of these failures. While such a movie may be the worst on a technical level, it may still be a success from an entertainment standpoint or achieving its goal.

In general, it probably comes down to which movies failed from a technical standpoint or failed from an entertainment/purpose standpoint... however many people tend to default to the entertainment/purpose as being more important than technical failure as the former can overcome technical failures. Specifically when it comes to TLJ for many people, the failures in entertainment and being the second film in a Star Wars trilogy completely overshadow any technical successes (such as sound/visuals being pretty solid) the movie may have had.

It all boils down to the mentality I enter movies with: I want to be entertained. Even with straight-up documentaries, I need to be engaged enough so I'm not bored to the point I don't care to watch the documentary anymore. The problem with many of the movies on this list is that despite having one or several technical achievements, the resulting film may not be entertaining. You can do everything technically right, yet if people are bored, off-put by, or preached at by the film it's failing at being an entertaining movie. The unfortunate reality is that if you are not entertained by a film, it makes the technical flaws stand out much more... which is why the new Star Wars trilogy tends to get ripped on and makes these "worst movie" lists.

What entertains people? That's the subjective part, which is why the "worst" film for people is completely subjective and heavily influenced by what entertains people and much less by if something is technically good details. The reason TLJ didn't end up my "worst" movie was because RJ did try to interject themes and more nuance to TLJ (which I can appreciate, even though they come off nihilistic/preachy as well as make the film a terrible 2nd movie in a Star Wars trilogy). I still have Ghostbusters 2016 as my worst, because it has everything that's bad about TLJ amped up to 11 with no redeeming features... and no shred of entertainment, either.
    I agree on the nuance you are bringing, but at a level I do believe that adjectives like "worst" are of the realm of quantitative quality, not just subjective preference. The later rests solely in our biased subjective perception, but the former I feel has to be viewed from a more objective perspective.

I don't have an issue with subjectivity, it's just an issue with thinking "Best/Worst" lists should try to be more about objectivity, or as as close we can get by trying to measure a movie's accomplishments or missteps. In the case of the realm of subjectivity, it's just about calling it a "Favorite/Most Disliked" list instead.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, money will buy you that. So yea, nothing of value comes from TLJ, it's hot garbage from the first second to the last.
    And as I said, I see no attempt at objectivity in your approach. It's entirely subjective, and while disliking or hating a movie is perfectly fine, you are unable to see any separation between actual quality and your personal opinion.

And "there's nothing of value there" is simply not an opinion worth engaging with at its core because it's simply worthless.

And as I said, I see no attempt at objectivity in your approach. It's entirely subjective, and while disliking or hating a movie is perfectly fine, you are unable to see any separation between actual quality and your personal opinion.

And "there's nothing of value there" is simply not an opinion worth engaging with at its core because it's simply worthless.
    It's not subjective, TLJ is bad. It's like saying eating shit is subjective when it's obviously bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Except by Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, Solo, Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker.

I still don't grasp how Last Jedi is worse then Force Awakens. Every single criticism of Last Jedi applies equally to Force Awakens except the former has a somewhat original plot.
    Clearly you didn't read my post.

It's not subjective, TLJ is bad. It's like saying eating shit is subjective when it's obviously bad.
    The lack of self awareness is astonishing. To say "This movie is so bad it's like eating shit and I'm being totally objective" and demand to be taken seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    That it is a bad movie doesn't make it the worst movie of the decade, that's the point. Like for real I can't trust anyone that would say that TLJ is a worst move than, because the later is simply empirically worst on every way, from structure, pacing, acting and cinematography.
    Ok. Two things:
    • This thread is about our opinions. What we think the worst movies in the decade are. My opinion is that TLJ is one of the worst in the decade.
    • Please don't imply that people that disagree with you have 'diminished intellectual capacity', like some do, here.

Considering that counting pop culture decades is completely arbitrary by itself, going against the consensus about how we do it is ridiculously pedantic.

Take the L.
    "Take the L." You and others took severe umbrage to me pointing that out, as if I'm somehow objectively wrong for not following "popular consensus" on how decades are actually counted.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

There are a number of films that were absolutely pants for my taste this decade and for the most part they are franchise-killers for me of my favourite sagas of my early days. Terminator? Check. Ghostbusters? Check. Star Wars? Check (even though I would put TFA before TLJ because FOR ME that film clearly showed that a bunch of clowns was in charge with no plan other than milking the franchise). But if I have to pick just a single one, it would have to be Prometheus (RIP Aliens)- for a number of reasons, that film made me angrier that practically anything that I watched last decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Rise of Skywalker is the WORST Star Wars Film EVER made! The Last Jedi is a MASTERPIECE in comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by Th3Scourge View Post
    Clearly you didn't read my post.
    Yeah I did. The Star Wars franchise was torpedoed by The Phantom Menace. TLJ is merely just another movie in a franchise that just happens to only occasionally put out good material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    Hey, I am not advertising homophobia!
    ... What? Are you implying I am?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Yeah I did. The Star Wars franchise was torpedoed by The Phantom Menace. TLJ is merely just another movie in a franchise that just happens to only occasionally put out good material.
    The prequels are crappy movies but had no significant impact on the star wars universe as a whole because "we knew how the story ended"

But yeah, this argument was done to death in December 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Averrix View Post
    Why isn't Highlander 2 on this list? Even though it didn't come out in the last decade, it should be on every worst movie of the decade list!
    There was no Highlander 2. Highlander was followed by Highlander 3, with no intervening movie anywhere in our reality.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Emperor View Post
    Disney's new star wars trilogy. Terrible disappointment.
    as disappointing as the new star wars movies were, they weren't nearly as horrible as the Last Airbender. that was bad on so many levels

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    There was no Highlander 2. Highlander was followed by Highlander 3, with no intervening movie anywhere in our reality.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highla...The_Quickening

hmf...Terminator; Dark Fate was note perfect to me.

Tell me, do they have sarcastic humor on your planet?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy! that link goes to a blank page.
    /s