Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why has politics become even more extreme?

In an interview with Coming of Age magazine by the Council on Aging in West Florida Bruce Boxleitner is dismayed at young people who believe the moon landing was faked. In the interview Bruce blames Jersey Shore for the dumbing down of society. He also said he despises the Kardashians and that they make him puke.

http://www.coawfla.org/cms/_fle/9750915829DEV7GREN.PDF

In the interview Bruce Boxleitner also states that sooner or later humanity has to get "leave this rock" and that the future is out there in space.

And it is interesting to note that Bruce Boxleitner is a Republican. I have begun to see more and more Republicans object to space development for quite a few reasons. I have also even see a few liberals object to it.
    http://ssass.us/

If only all Republicans had Bruce Boxleitner's attitude on space. In the 60s to 80s space exploration was valued.

Why has everything become so extreme and reactionary?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    In an interview with Coming of Age magazine by the Council on Aging in West Florida Bruce Boxleitner is dismayed at young people who believe the moon landing was faked. In the interview Bruce blames Jersey Shore for the dumbing down of society. He also said he despises the Kardashians and that they make him puke.

In the interview Bruce Boxleitner also states that sooner or later humanity has to get "leave this rock" and that the future is out there in space.

And it is interesting to note that Bruce Boxleitner is a Republican. I have begun to see more and more Republicans object to space development for quite a few reasons. I have also even see a few liberals object to it.

If only all Republicans had Bruce Boxleitner's attitude on space. In the 60s to 80s space exploration was valued.

Because of Donald Trump, the GOP, and the culture of not taking in new information and being willing to change an opinion, which they epitomize and champion.

The 2010s have litterally been the Silver Age of Space Exploration and technology development, and the man says "in the 60s and 80s space exploration was valued".

You live in a world where the US and/or ESA had a probe around every planet in the solar system simultaneously, imaged Pluto and private space companies launched and landed resuable rockets at $61 million a pop.

Within the last five years.

Listen folks, we need to have a talk.

You're going to die. You're going to die of heart failure / disease or cancer or dementia. You will not be uploading your brains to a computer and living forever as artificial intelligence.

You're going to die on Earth, in a hospital or your bed, hopefully some decades from now. You will not visit Mars and you will not live to see the United Federation of Planets form. You will never see humanity embracing some kind of fantastical future of exploring space (which wouldn't work like Star Trek).

You're going going to see, at best, a Mars landing by 2047. By 2100, maybe 30 people will be on Mars, tops. But that's the extent of it.

You will see radical changes in technology in your life. But in the real world, technological progress is painful and hard and the hurdles ahead are much bigger than the hurdles behind.

Make your peace with that, have reasonable expectations you'll come to appreciate the wondrous things happening around you. You may think Faster than Light Travel is the most important thing in Space. You think that because of sci-fi. In the real world, the Falcon 9 launching and landing is more useful in the immediate term and just as important, as FTL.

By getting hung up on the beyond the bleeding edge, you've missed the meaningful things around you, because the 2010s were arguably the best decade for Space Exploration since the 1960s, and the 2020s promise to be even better. But if you're waiting for the USS Enterprise, you'll miss it all.

uneducated and dumb voters, need a voter literacy test, national voter ID, and to get your voter ID in a bi yearly basis you have to pass the same civics exam new immigrants have to pass, quality of politicians would go up 10x on both parties without the stupids we call "populist"

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post

In the past, it was customary in the south in many towns to us a cross as a tool to torture and slowly kill black people.
    In my lifetime, when I was much younger, it was customary for whites to use the word nigger frequently, and with great malice. And I mean intense hatred. This I personally experienced.

In the 1950s, McCarthy was successful in ruining people's lives for being "communist".
    In the 1980s, Jessie Helms could only insult liberals, and he did that frequently.

Gays got killed for being gay. Now they can get married in all 50 states, and in many other countries. A gay guy is 5th in national polls for the democratic nomination, and it wasn't too long ago that a black male was not only President, but actually reelected.

It is far safer to come out as an atheist than it was 40 years ago.

If anything, things are quite a bit LESS extreme than in the past. Still pretty extreme, but we are moving in the right direction
    Last edited by Omega10; 2020-01-17 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    We've also watched as space exploration has become the domain of private interests. Not that the motivations for the space race were very noble to begin with.
    Space Exploration has been a public-private sector endeavor since it's birth. The difference in the modern context is that government is less involved in construction of vehicles than ever and largely doing it as-a-service. Where government is still involved in the design and construction phase, it's filled with pork and subject to enormous cost overruns.

The future of Space Exploration is in the private sector, with governments buying access as a service. And that's emphatically better and going to allow for allocation of tax dollars to more ambitious missions and far fewer to basically thinly-veiled jobs programs.

And if you really want to put people into space, the ability for individuals and corporations to claim territorial rights, call it private property and extract value from it, is an essential part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Is that a cost we should be willing to pay? Because it isnt going to end well for an overwhelming majority of people?

If we cant put that petty shit behind us, we are better out dying off on this rock.
    Our differences are not petty at all.

The differences between the US and China, for example, are fundamentally about human freedom and the role of the individual and the state. Is there a more important disagreement? I think not. As the only known intelligent life in the universe, the question of "how shall man live?" you could say has cosmic importance.

No. We're not all hunky dory, and for good reasons. If you take a look at Star Trek you'll notice something: few Chinese people. Almost no Indians. The major Earth cities are all in the US or Western Europe, and the official language of United Earth is English. In the fiction, World War III in 2053 wiped out 600 million people, most of them in Asia. In World War III, the US and NATO nuked the Eastern Coalition (in the books: the Chinese-dominated Shanghai Cooperation Organization) and killed almost the entire population of Asia. Many cities in the West were damaged, but recovered quickly compared to Asia, which which was living in a Post Atomic Horror for decades. The World of Star Trek is one where our "petty differences" were settled with the decisive victory of Western liberal democracy (that then spread to the stars) via epic scale mass slaughter. Star Trek is a utopia that represents the final victory of Western conceptions of freedom, liberty and rights And it is a victory that came about because in the mid 21st century, the West pretty much wiped out the East. It is a utopia drenched in blood, and more than that, represents a kind of cultural imperialism - the Western Way - wiping out the Earthbound competition.

Because a black man became president and Republicans collectively flipped their fucking shit over it. They call it the Tea Party.

Moscow Mitch was all about extreme.
    When Obama won a 2nd term:

The internet.

It allows people to live in the bubble where they only see "news" they like and never see anything negative about their side.

It allows people who believe really stupid stuff or are susceptible to believing really stupid stuff to see other people who believe really stupid stuff and think they aren't stupid they just know something no one else knows.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Because of Donald Trump, the GOP, and the culture of not taking in new information and being willing to change an opinion, which they epitomize and champion.
    Agreed, the left really needs to get out their ideological radical echo-chambers and start discussing with an open mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

yeah, the left.../sarcasm...
    Maybe the right needs to get out of Trump's ass for once so they can talk freely...at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Agreed, the left really needs to get out their ideological radical echo-chambers and start discussing with an open mind.
    As someone of the right, I can assure you, there is legitimately nothing that the faux-right wing Trumphadis's stand for that deserves an open mind.

It deserves to be condemned and ruthlessly, relentlessly attacked.

Anyone who supports Donald Trump, who tried to cheat in an election by bribing a foreign government for interference / assistance and got caught and impeached for it, is at odds with America's values and the national interest.

It is that simple. No discussion. No deals. No understanding. You are on either one side of the line or the other.

Is Donald fucking Trump really worth it?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Awwwwww, look at you trying so hard to deflect your dear leaders deplorableness.

Or are you ready to talk about Trump's blatant and objective crimes?

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Awwwwww, look at you trying so hard to deflect your dear leaders deplorableness.

Or are you ready to talk about Trump's blatant and objective crimes?
    Once they're objectively recognized by a court of law, sure. Still waiting though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    As someone of the right, I can assure you, there is legitimately nothing that the faux-right wing Trumphadis's stand for that deserves an open mind.

It deserves to be condemned and ruthlessly, relentlessly attacked.

Anyone who supports Donald Trump, who tried to cheat in an election by bribing a foreign government for interference / assistance and got caught and impeached for it, is at odds with America's values and the national interest.

It is that simple. No discussion. No deals. No understanding. You are on either one side of the line or the other.

Is Donald fucking Trump really worth it?
    "You're either with us, or an enemy"

Then the choice is easy: I'll be an enemy.
    It's the only answer when crazy extremists like you put out these sorts of ultimatums.

Anyone who believes in "no dialogue, no compromise" deserves to go under.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

99,9% of the right-wingers (in every country) will only ever go further to the right and then expect everybody else to follow. Reason for this is because the policies right-wingers come up with are all based around a single concept ''fear''.

So the only way to stay in power is to keep on fearmongering, not the loudest but you go towards them with every single election. So what was extreme 30 years ago becomes a little bit more acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Our differences are not petty at all.

The differences between the US and China, for example, are fundamentally about human freedom and the role of the individual and the state. Is there a more important disagreement? I think not. As the only known intelligent life in the universe, the question of "how shall man live?" you could say has cosmic importance.
    People who think that Mars or any other celestial body will be on ''free for all'' mode are in for a rude awakening. While US will not outright annex it, it should absolutely lay down the ''First Principles'' the moment first man and woman lay their feet on US soil by basically reciting key aspects of US constitution. The same way Protestant UK influenced US principles, so should the founding principles of US inspire future Martian state(s). No compromises.

Yes, tRump will go under.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then the choice is easy: I'll be an enemy.
    It's the only answer when crazy extremists like you put out these sorts of ultimatums.

This isn't about Conservatism vs Liberalism. It's about moral right vs wrong. Trump is immoral. He and everything he stands for is demonstrably Anti-American. I'm somewhere in the Middle politically speaking and have probably voted for just as many if not more Republicans than Democrats in my life, but Trump doesn't deserve to be the target of quiet rational discussion. He and his ilk should be made an example of for all time in the US so as to be a warning for those wishing to fill his shoes.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

When you give 40% of the nation 65% of the power, they just do not give a shit any longer and will try to do everything to retain power.