Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Anecdotes have even less basis than correlation, try again.
    I'm not the one asserting a claim though. If you say immigrants are more successful then the onus is on you to prove that immigration was the causal factor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I'm not the one making the claim though. If you say immigrants are more successful then the onus is on you to prove that immigration was the causal factor.
    "Immigrants are more successful" is not stating being an immigrant as the causal factor, it's an observation. Statistical comprehension, s'il te plait.

Here's a helpful chart to get you started in understanding why "frivolous expenditure" is a nonsense explanation and that saving money does not build wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I make 63k a year, my other half makes 30k a year. Between the two of us, you'd think we'd have plenty of money to throw around. But we live in a state that has one of the highest costs of living in the country. We also both have student loan debt, and car payments. That is along side of the typical bills such as insurance, phones, internet, food, and other living expenses. In the end, we are able to save money, but don't really have enough to put towards investments.

With all of that in mind, we are in better shape than the majority of people we associate with. If we had our incomes and lived in a cheaper state, we'd be able to do a whole lot more with our earnings, but it sadly all comes down to where we live.

- - - Updated - - -

If you live in a very expensive place, paying rent, and are living paycheck to paycheck, uprooting and moving a cheaper place may simply not be an option. Being financial trapped is a real thing that many are stuck with.
    Then don't live in a very expensive place. Nobody is forcing someone to live in San Francisco, Manhattan, or downtown Boston.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Then don't live in a very expensive place. Nobody is forcing someone to live in San Francisco, Manhattan, or downtown Boston.
    Aside from that being where all the employment is.

Y'all also clearly have no idea of the expense involved in moving, either.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Aside from that being where all the employment is.

Y'all also clearly have no idea of the expense involved in moving, either.
    Once again, this is all basic financial planning.

Within 30 miles of me, the price of homes ranges from about $180k, to well over $600k.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, this is all basic financial planning.

Within 30 miles of me, the price of homes ranges from about $180k, to well over $600k.
    Okay?

Good for you. We aren't talking about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suneye View Post
    While that might be true in the US, I don't live in the US. So, saying that to me isn't useful at all. Some of the groups don't even reach 50% employment rate within the measurement periods and they earn on average 80-85% of what Swedes earn.
    Good thing I wasn't talking to you, then.

Okay?

Good for you. We aren't talking about you.

- - - Updated - - -

Good thing I wasn't talking to you, then.
    It simply shows that moving can lower costs, as can finding work elsewhere.

It's really not that difficult.

7+ Year Old Account
    "Immigrants are more successful" is not stating being an immigrant as the causal factor, it's an observation. Statistical comprehension, s'il te plait.

Here's a helpful chart to get you started in understanding why "frivolous expenditure" is a nonsense explanation and that saving money does not build wealth.

[IMG]https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a0efbb9692ebe61061b5986/5a735cccf9619a4e34599a91/5abeef0c70a6ad85f493d053/1524088827935/MW-GD574_CPICha_20180212131601_NS.png?format=1000w[IMG]
    Exactly it's just an observation. The problem is a lot of people will automatically assume that repeated observations gives you a causal explanation, which isn't true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly it's just an observation. Problem is a lot of people will automatically think that repeated observation gives you a causal explanation, which isn't true.
    Thus it is incredibly fortunate that we have reams of studies done as to the nature of poverty and how it persists intergenerationally.

You might benefit from a few of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    It simply shows that moving can lower costs, as can finding work elsewhere.

It's really not that difficult.
    It shows that for you.

That is nongeneralisable and can be safely ignored.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe you should follow the discussion?

Was said to me.
    Cool, engage with that person then. I'm not interested in playing islamophobic gish gallop with a genocide apologist.

7+ Year Old Account
    Thus it is incredibly fortunate that we have reams of studies done as to the nature of poverty and how it persists intergenerationally.

You might benefit from a few of them.
    What does that have to do with immigration and the underlying cause of success?

It shows that for you.

That is nongeneralisable and can be safely ignored.
    It can be ignored by you, because it doesn't fit the narrative you are selling.

I'm saying that people can optimize income versus cost of living for areas, and plan accordingly. Hell, there's calculators that can do the work for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does that have to do with immigration and the underlying cause of success?
    The fact it's demonstrative of it being a function of opportunity rather than a function of personal merit.

Being poor is not a moral or intellectual failing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be ignored by you, because it doesn't fit the narrative you are selling.
    Or because one anarcho-capitalist is not statistically significant.

- - - Updated - - -

But it is a character flaw if you can't get out of it.
    Yes, it's so demonstrative of a lack of moral fibre when one is never provided the opportunities to escape poverty. /s

This thread really is just an excellent exhibition of how wealth constructs moral systems to justify itself.

Or because one anarcho-capitalist is not statistically significant.
    Enjoy!!!

https://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me know when an internet calculator can provide the opportunity and funding to move.

You're really having a hard time wrestling with the notion that you aren't representative of the typical person, huh?

7+ Year Old Account
    The fact it's demonstrative of it being a function of opportunity rather than a function of personal merit.

Being poor is not a moral or intellectual failing.
    Being poor is the default state that humanity has inherited. So I don't necessarily disagree if your point is that poverty comes from 'circumstances'. With that said intellectual failing happens almost all the time and causes people to remain in poverty for far longer than is necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine that. Didactic pretending I said things I didn't say. Can you ever actually address what people say? I said it's a character flaw. Character flaw isn't always about morality. Being lazy is a character flaw, it has nothing to do with morality. Being unwilling to do what it takes to get out of poverty is a character flaw, but it has absolutely nothing to do with morality.
    "Laziness" isn't a thing, it's yet another myth constructed to paint poverty as a choice.

Let me know when an internet calculator can provide the opportunity and funding to move.

You're really having a hard time wrestling with the notion that you aren't representative of the typical person, huh?
    It sounds like someone needs some lessons in financial planning.

https://www.thebalance.com/financial...ce-101-1289798

10+ Year Old Account
    Being poor is the default state that humanity has inherited.
    False. Poverty, like famine, is a human creation that is the result of poor resource distribution.

I bet you think barter economies precede money economies too.

So I don't necessarily disagree if your point is that poverty comes from 'circumstances'. With that said intellectual failing happens almost all the time and causes people to remain in poverty for far longer than is necessary.
    "Intellectual failing" - again, trying to paint poverty as a choice and as a justifiable consequence.

It's just self serving justification of privilege.

- - - Updated - - -

It sounds like someone needs some lessons in financial planning.

https://www.thebalance.com/financial...ce-101-1289798

Where's the money coming from, Machismo?