Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    When you give 40% of the nation 65% of the power, they just do not give a shit any longer and will try to do everything to retain power.
    Honestly even discounting trump completely the shit the GOP has pulled in wisconsin is enough to make me not consider the GOP to be a viable political party for any office for the remainder of my life. Maybe in a generation or two they can pull themselves out of the morass but for now the only option is to simply oppose them at every step. They have gone so utterly maximalist the only possible option is to respond in kind to do anything less will cause things to slowly get dragged further and further down the rabbit hole the gop has gone into.

I pin it on the internet. It allows the extremes of all sides to find each other and form groups of each other that then go around and attack anyone not absolutely in alignment with their point of view while being mostly anonymous. Not to mention allows echo chambers to form where these people start to think they are actually some sort of majority or on the verge of victory when the honest truth is most people, the real majority, kind of just think they are quacks but because they now have a platform the center most people start to get pulled and polarized more and more to the edges because of the threat of the other sides quacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    In an interview with Coming of Age magazine by the Council on Aging in West Florida Bruce Boxleitner is dismayed at young people who believe the moon landing was faked. In the interview Bruce blames Jersey Shore for the dumbing down of society. He also said he despises the Kardashians and that they make him puke.

http://www.coawfla.org/cms/_fle/9750915829DEV7GREN.PDF

In the interview Bruce Boxleitner also states that sooner or later humanity has to get "leave this rock" and that the future is out there in space.

And it is interesting to note that Bruce Boxleitner is a Republican. I have begun to see more and more Republicans object to space development for quite a few reasons. I have also even see a few liberals object to it.
    http://ssass.us/

If only all Republicans had Bruce Boxleitner's attitude on space. In the 60s to 80s space exploration was valued.
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    Why has everything become so extreme and reactionary?
    How are these two quotes related to anything?? One is about space travel exploration where you're claiming that "both sides don't want to do space travel", the next is asking what you wrote in the Subject line.

Also, what's your fixation with Sheridan/Tron these past couple threads? o_O

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    Once they're objectively recognized by a court of law, sure. Still waiting though.
    Lol, right - objective. That word is adorable coming from a Trumpkin.

"You're either with us, or an enemy"

Then the choice is easy: I'll be an enemy.
    It's the only answer when crazy extremists like you put out these sorts of ultimatums.

Anyone who believes in "no dialogue, no compromise" deserves to go under.
    The irony is that you don't understand the "we will not tolerate intolerance" argument whatsoever. You think this is some kind of Star Wars/Sith game where zingers win and gotchas rule. It's not. It's the United States and it's being taken over by the most intolerant and subversive group we've seen since the days of slavery.

But please, continue on with your little middle school games. At least you feel better.

- - - Updated - - -

When you give 40% of the nation 65% of the power, they just do not give a shit any longer and will try to do everything to retain power.
    Those numbers are very interesting - and entirely accurate. Terrific article in the Atlantic awhile back about how Trump/McConnell/GOP holds the nation hostage with a minority of approval.

10+ Year Old Account
    "You're either with us, or an enemy"

Then the choice is easy: I'll be an enemy.
    It's the only answer when crazy extremists like you put out these sorts of ultimatums.

Anyone who believes in "no dialogue, no compromise" deserves to go under.
    Their are issues which you can't compromise on... and if you can't compromise on them their is little point in dialogue when you know the opposing side refuses to act in good faith.

Continuing dialogue in that case is the same as saying "I value your viewpoint enough so that I'm willing to find a middle ground".... and their are views that you cannot do this for without throwing away you stand for to begin with.

because the old way (20th century ideals & politics) is in its death throes. a dying animal lashes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinstorm View Post
    Their are issues which you can't compromise on... and if you can't compromise on them their is little point in dialogue when you know the opposing side refuses to act in good faith.

Continuing dialogue in that case is the same as saying "I value your viewpoint enough so that I'm willing to find a middle ground".... and their are views that you cannot do this for without throwing away you stand for to begin with.
    Basically we are stuck in the prisoners dilemma where almost half the country always picks betray. At some point the only response is in kind until that behavior stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    This isn't about Conservatism vs Liberalism. It's about moral right vs wrong. Trump is immoral.
    Feelings are like farts, everyone has one or two different every day.
    I couldn't care less about your or anyone else's "moral indignation". It's a brap in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    He and everything he stands for is demonstrably Anti-American. I'm somewhere in the Middle politically speaking and have probably voted for just as many if not more Republicans than Democrats in my life, but Trump doesn't deserve to be the target of quiet rational discussion. He and his ilk should be made an example of for all time in the US so as to be a warning for those wishing to fill his shoes.
    So half the US population is "demonstrably Anti-American" ?
    Please. You've lost the plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Basically we are stuck in the prisoners dilemma where almost half the country always picks betray. At some point the only response is in kind until that behavior stops.
    Behold the tyrant at work, crying as he strips your freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Right now the left is fact based

10+ Year Old Account
    "Half the population" doesn't support Donald Trump and of that minority, a fair number are too busy charging their bariatric scooters to engage in good faith discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

On-topic, Frontline has done a 2 part series about the Divide and where it started. Watched the first half, which discussed Obama and the rise of the Tea Party/Alt-Right using fear tactics and misinformation to stoke everything from fear of "liberals" to outright racism.

Trying to muster up the courage to watch the 2nd half, but I'm so disgusted with how everyone has gotten played that I don't know if I can stomach more, combined with hearing more of that garbage-speak of Dumbass Dump >_<

historically speaking politics is not that extreme, a lot of young people just grew up during a lull & think that's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    "Half the population" doesn't support Donald Trump and of that minority, a fair number are too busy charging their bariatric scooters to engage in good faith discussion.
    They sure were busy enough to vote him as the President though. Your argument, and it's a stretch to call it that, is weak.

This despisal of the will of the people while pretending to care for the will of the people is pathetic.
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.

10+ Year Old Account
    They sure were busy enough to vote him as the President though. Your argument, and it's a stretch to call it that, is weak.

This despisal of the will of the people while pretending to care for the will of the people is pathetic.
    Last I recall "the people" voted against Donald Trump in excess of three million.

Pearl clutching about democracy only really works if the system you are defending is democratic to start with.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not really "anti-American".

It is, however, a celebration of America's worst flaws and failures, rather than the values that made it great.

A celebration of white nationalism, when it is diversity and acceptance that has, time and again, improved the nation.
    A celebration of authoritarian rule with no concern for the law, rather than democratic rule based on the law.
    A celebration of factionalism and internal aggression, rather than working together to create a better future for all.

The GOP is the party of the Confederacy (in terms of modern principles, before you mistake my meaning). It is the party of segregation. Is the the party of McCarthyist fearmongering and propaganda. It is the party of racism and antisemitism. It is the party of abusive corporate power.

All the worst parts of what it means to be American. All the things most Americans had relegated to the past, as wrongs to be overcome and ended.

I wouldn't call it "anti-American". Those are definitely American issues. But to claim they're valuable positions and important to the nation's success?

Nah. This is a heel-turn, and it's only happened in the last 20 years.

Obama and Pelosi forcing through the ACA when it would lack legitimacy since only Democrats voted for it.

Last I recall "the people" voted against Donald Trump in excess of three million.

Pearl clutching about democracy only really works if the system you are defending is democratic to start with.
    4 million people voted for the libertarian candidate, so the people voted against Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    4 million people voted for the libertarian candidate, so the people voted against Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein.
    Good for her. This is a pretty dumb non sequitur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Healing Rain View Post
    Obama and Pelosi forcing through the ACA when it would lack legitimacy since only Democrats voted for it.
    1> It was voted into effect by the House and Senate. That's literally the normal process for any bill. There was no "forcing".
    2> Your claim of "legitimacy" is complete horse shit. There is no bipartisan requirement for a law's "legitimacy". All you're expressing, there, is your own personal animus against the Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's not really "anti-American".

It is, however, a celebration of America's worst flaws and failures, rather than the values that made it great.
    In your opinion.
    And what makes you an authority in what the worst or best values of America are?

A celebration of white nationalism, when it is diversity and acceptance that has, time and again, improved the nation.
    A celebration of authoritarian rule with no concern for the law, rather than democratic rule based on the law.
    A celebration of factionalism and internal aggression, rather than working together to create a better future for all.
    Fake news, wrong, and the left is more than vastly guilty of the third.
    The difference between us is that you've been fed and swallowed lies, fake news and intentional misinformation such as these. Others didn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your opinion.
    And what makes you an authority in what the worst or best values of America are?
    Not being a white nationalist, for one.

Fake news, wrong, and the left is more than vastly guilty of the third. Spare me the propaganda we didn't buy as you did.
    What 'propaganda'? He's Canadian and I'm Greek-Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It is the party of segregation. Is the the party of McCarthyist fearmongering and propaganda. It is the party of racism and antisemitism. It is the party of abusive corporate power.
    I see radical leftists fully endorsing all these values, some of them in these very threads, so not sure who you're trying to fool here.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm failing to see the point here. There was a system in which all candidates agreed partecipating under the established rules, but after the results came out with them losing NOW they complain it's "unfair" ?
    Please, it's beyond pathetic.

The best part of all is how before the election results they were all "Trump will not accept this! He'll cry foul!" and then they got rek't and in their hipocrisy did exactly that.