I admit I'm not super angry over the smash reveal but I do understand the annoyance since we already have so many fire emblem characters and most people prefer the DLC characters be representatives to a series that hasn't been represented in smash before.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    I admit I'm not super angry over the smash reveal but I do understand the annoyance since we already have so many fire emblem characters and most people prefer the DLC characters be representatives to a series that hasn't been represented in smash before.
    Fire Emblem is a series in name only though(unless we're going back to the first few). I don't consider Byleth a "fire emblem character" I consider Byleth a three houses character. Byleth has literally no connection to any other characters in smash so it's basically the same shit as any other "omg new ip" being added.

In another discussion tho... TMS switch port is so good, loads are a million times faster then Wii U version and almost non existent and its getting really good battery life. Played about an hour and was still at 89% battery.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-01-17 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Fire Emblem is a series in name only though(unless we're going back to the first few). I don't consider Byleth a "fire emblem character" I consider Byleth a three houses character. Byleth has literally no connection to any other characters in smash so it's basically the same shit as any other "omg new ip" being added.
    That's not really the point, the fact is we already have a bunch of different FE characters in smash it doesn't matter if they technically come from a different game. I imagine if we got another Final Fantasy character people would have been disappointed as well but not as much since we only have one other Final Fantasy character.

In another discussion tho... TMS switch port is so good, loads are a million times faster then Wii U version and almost non existent and its getting really good battery life. Played about an hour and was still at 89% battery.
    I've played the first hour and It's pretty enjoyable so far, the only issue I have with it is the lack of an English dub which I can tolerate and the lack of any kind of translation for combat dialogue which is just annoying.

That's not really the point, the fact is we already have a bunch of different FE characters in smash it doesn't matter if they technically come from a different game. I imagine if we got another Final Fantasy character people would have been disappointed as well but not as much since we only have one other Final Fantasy character.
    There's a grand total of 8 FE characters now. 2 of which are echo fighters.

That puts it still under Mario characters total (Both including and excluding echo fighters), on par with Zelda (excluding echo fighters), and under Pokemon (both including and excluding echo fighters).

I'm not sure why people are throwing such a fit honestly. Fire Emblem has come a LONG way since Melee when people were like "who the hell is Marth and Roy", and it's popularity has skyrocketed so yes, they're going to see more representation now since they're popular.

I've played the first hour and It's pretty enjoyable so far, the only issue I have with it is the lack of an English dub which I can tolerate and the lack of any kind of translation for combat dialogue which is just annoying.
    There is no English dub because the VAs also sing their respective songs and finding capable singers/VAs in the US along with re-writing the songs into English would of been a logistical nightmare. They even went so far as the re-record the Japanese VA lines that where different in the original western release from the original Japanese release.

As for the battle dialogue, it's typical meaningless RPG shit. "I can exploit the weakness" "My turn now" type shit. Nothing of value is lost, the UI shows you all the information you need to know.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-01-17 at 08:12 PM.

I don't play Smash, but this salt war has been hilarious. Now I really hope they release Rex and Pyra too as another sword fighter, I mean I'd really like to see them in game, but even more so I want to see how crazy that community gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

That puts it still under Mario characters total (Both including and excluding echo fighters), on par with Zelda (excluding echo fighters), and under Pokemon (both including and excluding echo fighters).
    Except all the Mario and Pokemon fighters are so completely and wholly different, unlike most of the Fire Emblem characters, which are just sword users with slightly different movesets. Peach and Bowser do not play the same. Squirtle and Charizard do not play the same. Compare that to Roy and Marth. Or Ike and Marth. And then there are the two Echo Fighters who are almost identical to their original. Its not that there's a lot of Fire Emblem characters, its that so many of them are so similar.

If they were going to put in the moves of Axe, Spear, and Bow, why not just add in Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude as a Pokemon Trainer-like character that lets you switch? Or keep Byleth as like the neutral sword user but when you go to any of the alternate weapons, you turn into one of them? I think if they would have included the 3 main protagonists virtually nobody would be complaining. It's not even like a Persona level where Joker's final smash includes the other Phantom Thieves. They're just absent which seems really strange.

I dont really care but I see why some who are hardcore Smash fans would be upset.
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2020-01-17 at 08:27 PM.

Honestly, FE is awesome. I'm happy to see more FE stuff in any game. That said, I'm not heavily invested in Smash, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Mountain of salt.
    Fixed that for you

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    Except all the Mario and Pokemon fighters are so completely and wholly different, unlike most of the Fire Emblem characters, which are just sword users with slightly different movesets. Peach and Bowser do not play the same. Squirtle and Charizard do not play the same. Compare that to Roy and Marth. Or Ike and Marth. And then there are the two Echo Fighters who are almost identical to their original. Its not that there's a lot of Fire Emblem characters, its that so many of them are so similar.
    Peach and Daisy.
    Mario and Dr. Mario.

Pikachu and Pichu.
    Hell, if you want to go into similar, Lucario and Mewtwo aren't that far off. Squirtle and Charizard are the same character though.

And if anything, if them feeling "similar" is an issue then it should be exciting that we're getting one who's different.
    Mind you, Ike and Marth are really different so I'm not sure how that's a comparison there.

Lucina is the only true echo fighter but it's not even to the degree of Peach and Daisy where it's basically just a cosmetic swap, Lucina does damage spread out across her sword while Marth's is focused on landing precise attacks.

Chrom is a mix of a few, like he has Ike's up+B, Marth/Roy's forward B, Roy's B.

If they were going to put in the moves of Axe, Spear, and Bow, why not just add in Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude as a Pokemon Trainer-like character that lets you switch? Or keep Byleth as like the neutral sword user but when you go to any of the alternate weapons, you turn into one of them? I think if they would have included the 3 main protagonists virtually nobody would be complaining. It's not even like a Persona level where Joker's final smash includes the other Phantom Thieves. They're just absent which seems really strange.
    That would still get the complaints of "MORE FIRE EMBLEM!?" while also being pretty jarring honestly to treat the fighters like a Pokemon. Also would probably end up far more ridiculously OP of a character with all of that, and be worth more than just a single DLC character since it would be like 3 in 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    That would still get the complaints of "MORE FIRE EMBLEM!?" while also being pretty jarring honestly to treat the fighters like a Pokemon. Also would probably end up far more ridiculously OP of a character with all of that, and be worth more than just a single DLC character since it would be like 3 in 1.
    You don't know that at all lol. The main complaint from what I can tell from the outrage are the similar playstyles between all the characters.

Hopefully people learn to not preorder unknown shit now.

But they won't.

You don't know that at all lol. The main complaint from what I can tell from the outrage are the similar playstyles between all the characters.

Hopefully people learn to not preorder unknown shit now.

But they won't.
    Except the playstyle has been shown already to be nothing like the rest. They literally even made a joke about "too many swordfighters?" in the reveal.

I haven't seen a single person claim an issue with the fighting style, just blindly complain "BUT IT'S FIRE EMBLEM!"

I haven't seen a single person claim an issue with the fighting style, just blindly complain "BUT IT'S FIRE EMBLEM!"
    Then you haven't looked whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Honestly, FE is awesome. I'm happy to see more FE stuff in any game. That said, I'm not heavily invested in Smash, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
    Nah your opinion counts cause all the people complaining aren't heavily invested in it either. The people complaining are casuals who play smash here and there with their friends... if you check competitive smash places literally no one has a problem with Byleth lol.

- - - Updated - - -

If they were going to put in the moves of Axe, Spear, and Bow, why not just add in Edelgard/Dmitri/Claude as a Pokemon Trainer-like character that lets you switch?
    Because it would make no fucking sense, Byleth has to choose 1 house to teach and thus only commands 1 lord not all 3 at the same damn time lmfao. Not to mention that is basically 3 characters they have to design instead of 1.

Then you haven't looked whatsoever.
    What a compelling argument I guess?

I mean, you can look in this very thread alone to see people complaining just that it's Fire Emblem itself.

And honestly anyone complaining that it's "not a unique style" can be dismissed because that's just...well, I don't know how to say it without being rude, but anyone claiming that must have just turned off the video after seeing Byleth.

I mean, you can look in this very thread alone to see people complaining just that it's Fire Emblem itself.

And honestly anyone complaining that it's "not a unique style" can be dismissed because that's just...well, I don't know how to say it without being rude, but anyone claiming that must have just turned off the video after seeing Byleth.
    Sakurai does 30 min demonstration specifically showing how Byleth is different with other FE characters on screen and they say Byleth is the same as them. It's hilarious honestly.

15+ Year Old Account

its been a good 2 days

As compelling as, "nobody is talking about the playstyle" which is blatantly false.

As compelling as, "nobody is talking about the playstyle" which is blatantly false.
    I mean, there's people still insisting the world is flat, is it worth even hearing them though?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Sakurai does 30 min demonstration specifically showing how Byleth is different with other FE characters on screen and they say Byleth is the same as them. It's hilarious honestly.
    I haven't seen the entire demonstration even yet admittedly, but I thought it was enough that they literally make fun of the idea of "another swordfighter" in the reveal which was a whole 3 minutes.

It would be like claiming Robin is just another "FE swordfighter" at that point.

I mean, there's people still insisting the world is flat, is it worth even hearing them though?
    Lol fucking really dude?

Jesus. See ya. Try harder next time than just strawmanning someone with such a hilarious extreme scenario. The idea that you're a mod amazes me.

lol
    Last edited by Yoshingo; 2020-01-17 at 11:05 PM.