Poll: alright who's looks better as Wonder woman?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Yep, and as much as I think Lynda Carter was a good match to the comic as it was drawn, it's sort of a case of whitewashing.
    Then you are going to have to accuse the original comics of Wonder Woman of whitewashing. And, while I get that there are some legitimate grievances of character whitewashing, this one is reaching at best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakshana
    Then you are going to have to accuse the original comics of Wonder Woman of whitewashing.
    Not really. One hundred years from now, there will be a concept known as flurg. It will be important to people, and looking back at our time they will find that we were shockingly unaware of flurg's importance. Times change. Blackface and minstrel shows aren't a thing anymore. That's why I specifically said it was "sort of" a case of whitewashing.

The OP's question is phrased "who looks better as Wonder Woman" and not "who looks more like the old comic books". For all I know the old print methods may not have even been able to handle a more Mediterranean skin tone but in a modern movie it seems more suitable to the character's backstory to go with a more Mediterranean look.

That's why my take is that Gadot looks better as Wonder Woman, they cast someone appropriate to the character's origins. Granted, those have shifted a bit over the years and although the early bit about crafted in the image of the gods implies a Greek look, she could just as easily have been formed to look like Elvira -- which would, I suppose explain large breasts on a woman from a culture that in myth cut off a breast so it wouldn't interfere with their archery.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Neither, both are sticks who don't look at all like they've spent the last thousand years training for martial combat.
    the DCAU version is better then both, combined.

hell that MMA fighter who was contesting gadot for the role would of been better as the character.

Not really. One hundred years from now, there will be a concept known as flurg. It will be important to people, and looking back at our time they will find that we were shockingly unaware of flurg's importance. Times change. Blackface and minstrel shows aren't a thing anymore. That's why I specifically said it was "sort of" a case of whitewashing.

The OP's question is phrased "who looks better as Wonder Woman" and not "who looks more like the old comic books". For all I know the old print methods may not have even been able to handle a more Mediterranean skin tone but in a modern movie it seems more suitable to the character's backstory to go with a more Mediterranean look.

That's why my take is that Gadot looks better as Wonder Woman, they cast someone appropriate to the character's origins. Granted, those have shifted a bit over the years and although the early bit about crafted in the image of the gods implies a Greek look, she could just as easily have been formed to look like Elvira -- which would, I suppose explain large breasts on a woman from a culture that in myth cut off a breast so it wouldn't interfere with their archery.

"Among Classical Greeks, amazon was given a folk etymology as originating from a- (ἀ-) and mazos (μαζός), "without breast", connected with an etiological tradition once claimed by Marcus Justinus who alleged that Amazons had their right breast cut off or burnt out.[23] There is no indication of such a practice in ancient works of art,[24] in which the Amazons are always represented with both breasts, although one is frequently covered.[25][24] Adrienne Mayor suggests that the false etymology led to the myth"

10+ Year Old Account
    @qwerty123456

Yes, thank you, I'm aware of that. That's why I specified "in myth". Notice the last part of your quote "led to the myth".

You will notice that apparently, despite the Greek roots of the Olympics, the female archers do not seem to have gotten the memo that this would help.

The Mongols, not a myth, still have events where women participate in archery. They didn't get the memo either.

Still, in terms of that being part of the myth about Amazons, your own quote shows that it is.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

@qwerty123456

Yes, thank you, I'm aware of that. That's why I specified "in myth". Notice the last part of your quote "led to the myth".

You will notice that apparently, despite the Greek roots of the Olympics, the female archers do not seem to have gotten the memo that this would help.

The Mongols, not a myth, still have events where women participate in archery. They didn't get the memo either.

Still, in terms of that being part of the myth about Amazons, your own quote shows that it is.
    Yes but not all myths about them did. Nor did any ancient artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    Neither, both are sticks who don't look at all like they've spent the last thousand years training for martial combat.
    the DCAU version is better then both, combined.

hell that MMA fighter who was contesting gadot for the role would of been better as the character.
    Who was that? I thought Carano's look and physicality would've been perfect for it. However, there's no way she'd be able to pull off the acting right. She's not a bad actress, just very limited in what she can pull off, at least so far.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Pff, Scythians at the time originated from basically north of Iran. Learn some history, guy that wants people white as the driven snow in every role.
    North of Iran is Eastern Europe...

Fyi, many of us East Europeans claim lineage to Scythians n Sarmatians.

and Iranians are related to Europeans, perhaps you didn't know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    North of Iran is Eastern Europe...

Fyi, many of us East Europeans claim lineage to Scythians n Sarmatians.

and Iranians are related to Europeans, perhaps you didn't know?
    Pffff no it isn't. Learn some geography.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Pffff no it isn't. Learn some geography.
    ok, i need advice from you about our history.

Lynda Carter is one of the finest women to ever grace the planet. Absolutely beautiful.

Being a child of the 70's, for me it'll always be lynda Carter as wonder woman.. But times change, technology advances and reboots happen that are full of CGI.. So at the moment Gal Gadot will be the flavour of the month, until another 30 years or so pass and a reboot with a new actress comes along (unless by then they've got full CGI characters that look so much like real people we'd not know the difference)

10+ Year Old Account
    Gal Gadot is the model of perfection in my book. She wins for me.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    But her name is wonder woman, not average woman.

I don't see anyone complaining about the superman's various actors don't look like the average dude..or like a fat gamer...guys just aren't that touchy about better looking men, don't have ego crushed, don't complain superman should be less buff etc.
    You uh... you realise that when women work out their breasts don't get bigger right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even on the first page ppl are going from "Who LOOKS better as WW" to who is the most iconic and had an bigger impact? That's not even the question...

Gal looks better as WW.

Both women are beautiful, but I like Gal Gadot more because she looks fiercer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gal Gadot obviously. No disrespect on Lynda Carter.

My only problem with Gal Gadot is that she's too much on the thin side for an Amazonian. It should've been someone built like Gina Carano. Hell it should've just been Gina Carano. To me she has the perfect look for Wonder Woman.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

I always found Wonder Woman kinda ridiculous, especially in her design, but this new DCEU version makes it work. So Gal Gadot takes this by a landslide.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubenwolf View Post
    Gal Gadot obviously. No disrespect on Lynda Carter.

My only problem with Gal Gadot is that she's too much on the thin side for an Amazonian. It should've been someone built like Gina Carano. Hell it should've just been Gina Carano. To me she has the perfect look for Wonder Woman.
    Except that she's not necessarily good at acting, which is somewhat of a prerequisite.

But yeah, realistically a physical power-based female superhero should look a lot more like the typical male superheroes do.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.