View Poll Results: Would you live in a theocracy?

Voters
20. This poll is closed
  • No, don't live in one now

15 75.00%
  • Yes, live in one now.

2 10.00%
  • No, live in one now.

1 5.00%
  • Yes, don't live in one now.

2 10.00%

Thread: Theocracy?

15+ Year Old Account

Theocracy?

Would you feel comfortable living in a theocracy? For those that don't know what a theocracy, its when a government is ran by some sort of church belief. This doesn't have to necessarily be of the Christian God but any religion. Some examples of theocracies over the years including modern times are governments ruled by Islam, Catholicism, and Judaism.

Mod Edit: This thread is closed.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-01-18 at 03:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. America's already too much of a theocracy with all the swearing on bibles and in god we trust slogans. I feel bad for people living under Sharia law.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I moved to mainland China about 20 years ago. I hadn't planned to make it as lengthy a stay as it became.

I've been back to the US once and that was in the wake of the WTC attack. To say the barrage of religious messaging and images that started as soon as I got off of the airplane was jarring would be a huge understatement. That was a major factor in my decision to return to teach in China and I have not been back since.

Just that was more than I was comfortable with, so I don't think a true theocracy would be comfortable for me.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

No thanks. There's already way too much religion in my government for my tastes as is.

If I was in Greece, where over 90% of the population shares the same ethnicity and religion, and religiosity tends to be higher than normal, I wouldn't have an issue with theocracy. Not saying I'd enthusiastically support it, but I'd understand it.

In the US, or Canada, or anywhere else with more diverse populations? No way, theocracies don't work.

In theory I don't immediately discard it, but in practice it's not practical or good in large, diverse countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    If I was in Greece, where over 90% of the population shares the same ethnicity and religion, and religiosity tends to be higher than normal, I wouldn't have an issue with theocracy.
    You have hurted my brain. You did that just to see if anyone was awake, didn't you?

Erm, as I recall, didn't y'all have a problem with a theocracy back awhile? I think it is mentioned in your sig.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    You have hurted my brain. You did that just to see if anyone was awake, didn't you?

Erm, as I recall, didn't y'all have a problem with a theocracy back awhile? I think it is mentioned in your sig.
    Yeah, a foreign theocracy, before that the longest incarnation of the Roman Empire was a Greek-speaking theocracy based out of Constantinople :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Yeah, a foreign theocracy, before that the longest incarnation of the Roman Empire was a Greek-speaking theocracy based out of Constantinople :P
    Was that before or after our ancestors foolishly soured goodwill towards the capital by trying to impose religious uniformity on the Monophysites?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

If I was in Greece, where over 90% of the population shares the same ethnicity and religion, and religiosity tends to be higher than normal, I wouldn't have an issue with theocracy. Not saying I'd enthusiastically support it, but I'd understand it.

In the US, or Canada, or anywhere else with more diverse populations? No way, theocracies don't work.

In theory I don't immediately discard it, but in practice it's not practical or good in large, diverse countries.
    Yeah, this. Though, we don't share same religion here. Christians, like I was raised, aren't the only ones. I'd only be comfortable with that if it was protestant Christianity but the buddhists or others, like catholics, wouldn't like that.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2020-01-18 at 10:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Yeah, this. Though, we don't share same religion here. Christians, like I was raised, aren't the only ones. I'd only be comfortable with that if it was protestant Christianity but the buddhists or others wouldn't like that.
    Probably because proselytic religions have a nasty tendency of trying to convert others by coercion and making it legally inconvenient to practice other faiths. Just sayin'.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos
    Yeah, a foreign theocracy, before that the longest incarnation of the Roman Empire was a Greek-speaking theocracy based out of Constantinople
    Don't take me too seriously and feel free to tell me to STFU, things on the Internet can easily come off wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка

I doubt even most of that 90%[not to mention the 10% that would be opressed] would be happy following strict religious laws.

No, religion is personal and shouldn't be a guide for how to govern a diverse group of people since theocracy is all about conformity and very little room for deviancy.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CommunismWillWin View Post
    I doubt even most of that 90%[not to mention the 10% that would be opressed] would be happy following strict religious laws.
    Even if they were, they'd still find other things to fight about.

Sometimes you just end up believing your legs are made out of sugar.

Only if it was catholic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clicked wrong one I would live in one, but don’t live in one now. I’m a Christian and my fiancé is also Christian and Scientologist so it would very much depend on the society.

If Kanye West was there I’d become Satanist lol!

I honestly wouldn’t recommend it for anyone not raised and used to whatever faith. It takes a lot of commitment.
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-01-18 at 01:14 PM.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    Only if it was catholic.
    Probably a bad idea to support people who are the side of the protestant theocratic side then.

America could be considered a theocracy.

Christians treat Atheists worse than gays at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    America could be considered a theocracy.

Christians treat Atheists worse than gays at this point.
    With Pompeo and Pence in power, that is spot on.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-01-18 at 03:34 PM.